• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on seachicken game

The thought I keep coming away from games with is how desperately we need a legit Center

Rudy gets a game ball just for catching all those lumps of Cole getting chucked in his general direction, handled them all well and kept the offense on schedule

As this OL and two headed run beast comes together I really wanna see a good C brought in to take it to that next level

Cole blows

I do not think there's any way you start Pickett next week, or in the playoffs if they somehow get in.

Next season is a different matter, though.

I think there should be an open competition between him and Pickett during the summer, assuming Rudolph wants to come back.

The Steelers might have burned that bridge, treating him like a redheaded stepchild the past couple years, despite Pickett and Trubisky struggling in front of him.

They cannot just hand the job to Rudolph based off two of three games, but people need to give him his full due here.

He has not just played well. He's played as well as about any QB in the league over the past two weeks

I believe this is the first time the Steelers have had both 30+ points and 400+ yards in consecutive games since Ben, Bell and Brown were all with the team. It's not a coincidence.

People say it was against the Bengals and Seahawks, but so what? How many "bad defenses" have the Steelers struggled against over the past few years, including Ben's last one?
No I would use the small amount of saving about 4 million on Mitch and maybe another small move to leverage a deal with Rudolph (if he usnt vindictive and gets a better opportunity) and then it's best man wins in camp next year but Tomlin isn't good at that.

No I would use the small amount of saving about 4 million on Mitch and maybe another small move to leverage a deal with Rudolph (if he usnt vindictive and gets a better opportunity) and then it's best man wins in camp next year but Tomlin isn't good at that.

Agree, but fair competition with Coach Tomlin at the helm, equates to bringing in grocery stock boys for the punting competition of a year or two ago.

Would Rudolf get a fair shake ? That’s my main point.

Tomlin already looks the fool as this QB situation plays out.

Salute the nation

Given all the nextgen stats and what have you, it ought to be possible to have a single page comparison of KFP vs Rudy stats on measurables like arm strength, speed through progressions, proper feet placement, pocket utility, accuracy, etc. to place alongside intangibles.....I am thinking Rudy's agent does this and provides this to Omar and many other teams.

Mason is only 3 years older than KFP, and has far more NFL experience, and certainly a better pocket passer presence. Since he has played very little over the past 3 seasons, his tires still have a lot of tread left.

I'd ditch Mitch, apologize to Rudy via better contract next 3 years, and send him and KFP into camp to battle it out. And I'd draft a project QB in the middle rounds to be the #3 all next season, with the hope that either KFP or Rudy gets firmly entrenched as #1.

If the Steelers do not have a clear #1 QB by end of next season, they need to look to the draft in 25 to fill that need; that probably means moving Kenny.

I believe this is the first time the Steelers have had both 30+ points and 400+ yards in consecutive games since Ben, Bell and Brown were all with the team. It's not a coincidence.

People say it was against the Bengals and Seahawks, but so what? How many "bad defenses" have the Steelers struggled against over the past few years, including Ben's last one?
Yes, too many are dismissing Rudolph’s play as a small sample size or against bad defenses as though it’s the first bad defenses the Steelers have played in several years.

Rudolph has executed basic plays that Pickett and Trubisky have missed on a weekly basis and he’s making big throws deep and connecting.

That’s not to say Rudolph is a star or the long-term answer, but he’s the first QB to look competent for the duration of an entire and and he’s done so two weeks in a row while helping an offense to its best production in years.

They'll have to convince Rudolph that it will be a fair competition, and there will not be a bias toward Kenny as the recent first round pick.

Tomlin obviously did not think very highly of Rudolph, considering what it took to finally give him a shot, and it might not be easy for Rudolph to overlook that, especially if he gets offers from other teams.

From purely a football standpoint, it is hard to imagine a better opportunity for him, given the running game and receivers the Steelers appear to have.

Money and his relationship with Tomlin are other matters, however.

A lot is going to hinge on how he performs against the Ravens. If he ***** the bed, he might still deserve a shot to start next year, given what he showed against the Bengals and Seahawks, but I'm not sure the Steelers would be willing to give him one in that scenario.

It might give them the excuse to just go with Kenny or potentially another veteran not named Trubisky or Rudolph in 2024.

Given all the nextgen stats and what have you, it ought to be possible to have a single page comparison of KFP vs Rudy stats on measurables like arm strength, speed through progressions, proper feet placement, pocket utility, accuracy, etc. to place alongside intangibles.....I am thinking Rudy's agent does this and provides this to Omar and many other teams.

Mason is only 3 years older than KFP, and has far more NFL experience, and certainly a better pocket passer presence. Since he has played very little over the past 3 seasons, his tires still have a lot of tread left.

I'd ditch Mitch, apologize to Rudy via better contract next 3 years, and send him and KFP into camp to battle it out. And I'd draft a project QB in the middle rounds to be the #3 all next season, with the hope that either KFP or Rudy gets firmly entrenched as #1.

If the Steelers do not have a clear #1 QB by end of next season, they need to look to the draft in 25 to fill that need; that probably means moving Kenny.

EXCELLENT Post Confluence and thanks for the great ones along the way….Humor too !!!

My only problem is Coach Tomlin has favoritism along with his Tomlinisms, so I don’t think Mason gets a fair shake.

Coach Cowher recently talked about how lonely he was at the top (HC). He said you have no friends and can ONLY chose what is best to get the wins. He said that was his # 1 definition of being a head coach. When you bring friends or favorites into the equation, you don’t make true positive decisions for what’s best for the team.

I think KP8 would have a hard time securing the starting role under Coach Cowher’s rule.

Salute the nation

That’s not to say Rudolph is a star or the long-term answer, but he’s the first QB to look competent for the duration of an entire and and he’s done so two weeks in a row while helping an offense to its best production in years.

Agreed.

The thing is that he hasn't just looked good compared to what we've seen in recent years. He's looked really good, period.

It could very well be a fluke, but the Steelers would be foolish to not try to find out one way or the other.

It not like with Landry Jones where he was given sufficient opportunity to prove that he sucks. Rudolph has hardly played in years.

They initially drafted him to replace Ben, and not following through on that prior to last season might have been a mistake.

EXCELLENT Post Confluence and thanks for the great ones along the way….Humor too !!!

My only problem is Coach Tomlin has favoritism along with his Tomlinisms, so I don’t think Mason gets a fair shake.

Coach Cowher recently talked about how lonely he was at the top (HC). He said you have no friends and can ONLY chose what is best to get the wins. He said that was his # 1 definition of being a head coach. When you bring friends or favorites into the equation, you don’t make true positive decisions for what’s best for the team.

I think KP8 would have a hard time securing the starting role under Coach Cowher’s rule.

Salute the nation
I'm not sure about that. Coach Cowher brought us such luminaries as Kent Graham, Mike Tomczak, etc.
It's easy, after time passes, to look at a previous era with a little nostalgia and forget some of the things we were upset about at the time.

I'm not sure about that. Coach Cowher brought us such luminaries as Kent Graham, Mike Tomczak, etc.
It's easy, after time passes, to look at a previous era with a little nostalgia and forget some of the things we were upset about at the time.

It is but I also point out the fact of where Cowher drafted position was and who was available at that time.

Many point out the QBs Cowher had employed, but I have read the availability of great QBs wasn’t near as available as some think.

Main point being, once he got a QB, he showed very well.

The main point was he went with what he had available, but they were the best available to him at the time.

NO, I don’t agree with the myriad of QBs that flashed through our facility, but also realize how hard it is to pick fairly when adding in friendship or favoritism. That is a difference from Coach Cowher to Coach Tomlin.

Salute the nation

You and I completely disagree on Pickett but you have a point with coolieman, Bermudasteel, and their ilk.

They think they own this board and hate it when someone outside their circle of butt buddies contradicts them and their beliefs. They see themselves as these wise sages above the comments of lowly casual posters, but have sorely little to offer in real football information.

Take Cooliemans post to start this thread, a 4th grader could have written that better and with more depth/analysis, miss you Chicoman. But Coolie will tell other people not to start new threads all the time

If you press them long enough in debate they will default to the lame “I’ve been here longer than you noob” argument

There are a lot of sexist comments here including by me but it’s a board full of guys pushing past 50, so it is what it is. It’s hilarious tho when leftys like Bermudasteel flaunt their sexism but play victim when any other of his left wing ideas are challenged

The decline of this board and activity here can be partially attributed to their attitudes

Welcome to the board

Last edited:
Agree, but fair competition with Coach Tomlin at the helm, equates to bringing in grocery stock boys for the punting competition of a year or two ago.

Would Rudolf get a fair shake ? That’s my main point.

Tomlin already looks the fool as this QB situation plays out.

Salute the nation
If you don't play the best you shouldn't be coaching.

You and I completely disagree on Pickett but you have a point with coolieman, Bermudasteel, and their ilk.

They think they own this board and hate it when someone outside their circle of butt buddies contradicts them and their beliefs. They see themselves as these wise sages above the comments of lowly casual posters, but have sorely little to offer in real football information.

Take Cooliemans post to start this thread, a 4th grader could have written that better and with more depth/analysis, miss you Chicoman. But Coolie will tell other people not to start new threads all the time

If you press them long enough in debate they will default to the “I’ve been here longer than you noob”

There are a lot of sexist comments here including by me but it’s a board full of guys pushing past 50, so it is whet it is. It’s hilarious tho when leftys like Bermudasteel flaunt their sexism but play victim when any other of his left wing ideas are challenged

The decline of this board and activity here can be partially attributed to their attitudes

Welcome to the board
I might be biased but being a Pitt grad I have followed Kenny since 2018 his sophomore year. I have seen him make all the throws and I have faith he’ll make them for the Steelers. I just hate that all these people are jumping on the Mason Rudolph bandwagon.

So I watched the condensed game which is pretty rare for me. Some observations:
I know it's piling on but I do love being right. You cannot have passengers on defense. Devin Bush is luggage. He doesn't even run to plays he couod make. I'd have lived to have heard chatter in Steelers film about this guy.
The back end held up about as good as it couod against probably the best receiving group you are gonna face. And they are patchwork at best. The force unit did not have much impact honestly.
Circumstances and clock management in sequence inside 10 after Herbig strip sack could have really bit them in ***. The blond women interrupting plays made for clock issues in my opinion. But........leaving 11 seconds on play clock and throwing in that circumstance is inexcusable and really couod have bit them in the ***.

I might be biased but being a Pitt grad I have followed Kenny since 2018 his sophomore year. I have seen him make all the throws and I have faith he’ll make them for the Steelers. I just hate that all these people are jumping on the Mason Rudolph bandwagon.

I’ve watched every snap Rudolph has taken since his first year in college, he’s a great person but never thought he was a viable NFL starter. He throws a great deep ball but has lacked accuracy on short and middle range passes and panicked under a rush

The guy who has played the past 2 games looks different tho

I think Rudolph deserves the start next week

Kenny looked better post Canada too and deserves another look

I hope if Rudolph is back he and Kenny get an equal fair competition for QB1 in 2024. I doubt Rudolph wants to come back and hope Tomlin isn’t back

If they make playoffs and even play an interesting wildcard game Rudy has a market. I'd wouod be idiotic to start Kenny at this point. If he himself doesn't understand that he can kick rocks.
Clearly Rudy had no market last year as he came back to a buried situation where I think at least most would be bitter. But who knows really?

I don't know if it is as much Mason didn't get a fair chance...he probably didn't. But they had a particular style of offense they wanted to run with a more mobile guy back there. That isn't Rudolph. For all this talk about you can't change an offense mid-season...they have made changes to something more suitable for him. No doubt. But I don't think it was this conspiracy to mess with Mason Rudolph.

In these situations I always think if the Seinfeld episode when Kramer took the vow of silence. But he kept talking, and Jerry said "I thought you took a vow of silence!" Kramer goes..."starting now." This situation, oh, they shoulda started Rudolph and blah, blah...Tomlin is an idiot. C'mon, there may have been a few here that wanted Rudolph, but most of us didn't see this coming, including me. It isn't like Rudolph was all that impressive before. The coaches saw what we saw. He bears some responsibility for the opinion of him. But it's kinda like, "Ok, NOW they shoulda started Rudolph."

We’ve seen for years that, apart from injury, Shades bases his starting lineups on draft position and fills his coaching staff with his buddies. Matt Canaduh being the prime, but not the only, example.

In fairness, it’s not like Kenny Pickett has a bandwagon of any kind to jump onto.

Switching to Kenny in week 18 is just asking for a big offseason qb controversy.
Tomlin has already reached his season goal. He can rest his starters next week since a non-losing season has been achieved. Getting a playoff spot and getting blown out again would just tarnish his image.

If you press them long enough in debate they will default to the lame “I’ve been here longer than you noob” argument

There are a lot of sexist comments here including by me but it’s a board full of guys pushing past 50, so it is what it is. It’s hilarious tho when leftys like Bermudasteel flaunt their sexism but play victim when any other of his left wing ideas are challenged

Welcome to the board
My viewpoints have always differred from a lot of fans but I think you can differ without belittling someone. We also don't talk about politics on the football side.

Think whatever you would like but those two points perhaps you can work on.

Agreed.

The thing is that he hasn't just looked good compared to what we've seen in recent years. He's looked really good, period.

It could very well be a fluke, but the Steelers would be foolish to not try to find out one way or the other.

It not like with Landry Jones where he was given sufficient opportunity to prove that he sucks. Rudolph has hardly played in years.

They initially drafted him to replace Ben, and not following through on that prior to last season might have been a mistake.
They really should've have fluked into some great performances prior to that.

Tomlin said Pickett was cleared to play last week but didn't feel comfortable with his lack of reps and is going back to Rudolph this week. Zero confidence in Pickett from the head coach.

My viewpoints have always differred from a lot of fans but I think you can differ without belittling someone. We also don't talk about politics on the football side.

Think whatever you would like but those two points perhaps you can work on.
People are calling me a man and bullying me just because I believe in Kenny Pickett. That’s not a very friendly environment to harbor differing views. I am glad at least you don’t bully or name call like some other people do on here.

Tomlin has already reached his season goal. He can rest his starters next week since a non-losing season has been achieved. Getting a playoff spot and getting blown out again would just tarnish his image.
The Tomlin Fan Club won their Super Bowl.