• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Iran's response ... missile attacks on U.S. bases in Iraq

And for that you have my respect and admiration. Quite the outlier around here, almost seems strange to have a somewhat normal conversation.

Soulimani has been on a watch/hit list for years. The cons always outweighed the pros as far as taking him out in a targeted strike. He was no rogue, underground terrorist running around with armed militiamen, hiding out in a cave somewhere, but the 2nd in command in Iran, a government official. No doubt he deserved to die, for the atrocities committed over many years. My issue is mainly the timing and recklessness with how this was carried out. This could have easily escalated in wide ranging attacks on US personnel in the ME and around the world. It still may come to that. The risk of human life and injury was simply too significant. That's why he wasn't taken out earlier. Thank God, as of now, it seems things have scaled back somewhat. I will be tarred and feathered for saying this, but I agree with those who view this as Trump trying to distract public opinion from his impeachment, more than anything. I think the storyline Pompeo concocted about some grave and immediate threat is bullshit. See how some of the GOP senators reacted yesterday, including Paul Ryan and Mike Lee. They were irate over the lack of info they were given. As is the case with all things Trump, he lies and decieves so often, it's hard to believe anything coming out of this cabinet. As far as your final question, I don't think this has much relevance re NK, althought that situation is nowhere near being resolved, as Trump has claimed these past three years.

Sorry Tibs, the Impeachment isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It's died down significantly since Nancy wants to hold off on sending the articles. The timing was based on our embassy being attacked, and unlike Obama and Hillary doing nothing to help an Ambassador and his support staff, Trump made sure to secure the area. He then hears intel about imminent attacks that put American lives in danger. Again, unlike the Obama administration sending BILLIONS of dollars to pay them off, Trump takes out an evil, evil man and the mastermind behind so many attacks that have left Americans dead. I just dont see how you or anyone else can justify what Obama did in terms of dealing with Iran, especially when it was that same money that was used against our troops and officials, and yet chastise Trump for taking out the head of the Iran Military. It just boggles my mind, to be honest.

Speaking of ideology, do/did you support the following:

U.S. war in Afghanistan
U.S. war in Iraq
U.S. war in Iran

Oh, and Bin Laden is alive and well and in the women’s restroom at your local Target.

this wasnt directed at me, but i felt the need to play along.

War in Afghanistan? No, I did not and do not support it. I did and do support us exterminating terrorists and their sleeper cells, however.
War in Iraq? No, I did not and do not support it. However, it did lead to Saddam Hussein being taken out, thus saving lives in the long run.
War in Iran? Now we're talking. **** Iran. **** their government and their REAL oppression of their people. We've not engaged in a "war" yet. We offed a ********, and saved lives by doing it.

Bin Laden may certainly be alive, as you allude. However, if it's proven he IS alive, will that blemish your utmost undying adulation for The Oratorical O? If Bin Laden is alive, that's yet another lie that Bathhouse Barry told the nation.

Sometimes you need to stop and reflect before you click "Post Quick Reply", ********.

Damn.....

Iranian Missile System Shot Down Ukraine Flight, Probably by Mistake, Sources Say
https://www.newsweek.com/iranians-s...=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1578587904

The Ukrainian flight that crashed just outside the Iranian capital of Tehran was struck by an anti-aircraft missile system, a Pentagon official, a senior U.S. intelligence official and an Iraqi intelligence official told Newsweek.

Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752, a Boeing 737–800 en route from Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airpot to Kyiv's Boryspil International Airport, stopped transmitting data Tuesday just minutes after takeoff and not long after Iran launched missiles at military bases housing U.S. and allied forces in neighboring Iraq. The aircraft is believed to have been struck by a Russia-built Tor-M1 surface-to-air missile system, known to NATO as Gauntlet, the three officials, who were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter, told Newsweek.

One Pentagon and one U.S senior intelligence official told Newsweek that the Pentagon's assessment is that the incident was accidental. Iran's anti-aircraft were likely active following the country's missile attack, which came in response to the U.S. killing last week of Revolutionary Guard Quds Force commander Major General Qassem Soleimani, sources said.

U.S. Central Command declined to comment on the matter when contacted by Newsweek. No reply was returned from the National Security Council or State Department.

Of the 176 people on board, 82 were Iranian, 63 were Canadian and 11 were Ukrainian (including nine crewmembers), along with 10 Swedish, seven Afghan and three German nationals. None survived.

this wasnt directed at me, but i felt the need to play along.

War in Afghanistan? No, I did not and do not support it. I did and do support us exterminating terrorists and their sleeper cells, however.
War in Iraq? No, I did not and do not support it. However, it did lead to Saddam Hussein being taken out, thus saving lives in the long run.
War in Iran? Now we're talking. **** Iran. **** their government and their REAL oppression of their people. We've not engaged in a "war" yet. We offed a ********, and saved lives by doing it.

Bin Laden may certainly be alive, as you allude. However, if it's proven he IS alive, will that blemish your utmost undying adulation for The Oratorical O? If Bin Laden is alive, that's yet another lie that Bathhouse Barry told the nation.

Sometimes you need to stop and reflect before you click "Post Quick Reply", ********.

So you opposed the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, but you support the things that necessitated those wars.

Sometimes you need to stop and reflect before you click “Post Quick Reply”, ********.

If, 20 years from now, it’s proven that we are, and have been, occupying Iran will you still have undying adulation for Rex Tillerson’s ******* moron?

That's literally all you got?

They say that eyes are the windows to the soul. What do you see when you look at *these* eyes? Not sure what's going on with Trump, if it's neurological or drug related, but he's not in a good place mentally. His presser yesterday was beyond the pale, if you listened to him stumble and sweat his way through reading off the teleprompter. I pray for his health and well-being.

ENxl1ipW4AMLzfl

So you opposed the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, but you support the things that necessitated those wars.

Sometimes you need to stop and reflect before you click “Post Quick Reply”, ********.

If, 20 years from now, it’s proven that we are, and have been, occupying Iran will you still have undying adulation for Rex Tillerson’s ******* moron?

Iran's hated us since Tillerson was an engineer at Exxon. that's not changed/lessened one iota since.

the things that necessitated those wars - killing/eradicating Bin Laden and Al Qaeda for their attack on the World Trade Center?
**** yes, I supported killing/eradicating Bin Laden and Al Qaeda.

article-2035720-0043F39C00000258-873_468x490.jpg

just some people doing something, right, ********?

They say that eyes are the windows to the soul. What do you see when you look at *these* eyes? Not sure what's going on with Trump, if it's neurological or drug related, but he's not in a good place mentally. His presser yesterday was beyond the pale, if you listened to him stumble and sweat his way through reading off the teleprompter. I pray for his health and well-being.

ENxl1ipW4AMLzfl

what about these eyes?

wr44a1oz355z.jpg

imageedit_4_5759348582.jpg

ENxl1ipW4AMLzfl

Those are the eyes of a man who is bored of winning. :applouse:

The net-net result of Trump's wildly reckless adventure in Iran.

“Adventure”? That’s communist rhetoric. There was nothing adventuresome about the suleimani hit. It was cold, calculated and elegant. The operation was designed to communicate to the 7th century primitives that we are civilized, vast and inescapable. Civilized in that we can destroy you anywhere and at any time, fully at will and with no ‘collateral’ carnage, unlike you primitives that slaughter mindlessly and randomly without the slightest thought. Vast in that we can reach out and kill you anywhere – there’s no place to hide, and it’s a small planet. Elegant in that our intel can isolate you down to a square inch and place a small and precise missile on your vehicle, and your vehicle alone with an economy of manpower, ordinance and risk. And there isn’t a thing you can do about it.

So we eliminate Iran’s #2 and his Iraq franchisee entirely by remote. Bada-boom, bada-bing. And so as to ‘communicate’ that it wasn’t ‘just a lucky shot’, we follow up by immediately whacking a half dozen other primitive ‘leaders’. Everything about these operations, from intel to execution, was stunningly precise. All the while Trump sends the 82nd to further secure the Embassy, B-52’ to Diego Garcia, and rolls out 52 F-35s on the tarmac to illustrate what Iran’s decrepit F-14s (with no spare parts) face. And the mullahs respond with a few feeble ‘missile’ volleys.

Trump responded to the Embassy attack in a very measured and precise manner, entirely proportional to the primitive’s attacks. Measure in that he decapitated the leadership behind Bengazi and Baghdad without broad damage. Precise in that he hit only leadership exactly where they stood. And proportional in that it was a response to an act of war – Embassies and their adjuncts are sovereign American soil – attacking them is attacking America – the perps were punished.
“Adventure”? You’re channeling Baghdad Bob. What we have just witnessed is actual ‘shock and awe’.

The mullahs have received the message. We should follow up with a social media blitz (in honor to suleimani’s affinity to social media) to remind Iran what their country was before the primitives destroyed it. ‘Return Iran to the 60s and 70s’. Follow that with a flood of air-dropped ‘Make Iran Great Again’ hats. It’d be fun to watch Iran’s streets filled with bobbing MIGA hats.

The suleimani hit alone would secure my vote for another 4 years. The rest is gravy.

Cool video from some true conservative Republicans. I guess this belongs here in the winning thread.

Yea, verily.

And for that you have my respect and admiration. Quite the outlier around here, almost seems strange to have a somewhat normal conversation.

Which is why I very often do not jump in. However, here I want to ask more, in the same spirit.

Soulimani has been on a watch/hit list for years. The cons always outweighed the pros as far as taking him out in a targeted strike. He was no rogue, underground terrorist running around with armed militiamen, hiding out in a cave somewhere, but the 2nd in command in Iran, a government official. No doubt he deserved to die, for the atrocities committed over many years. My issue is mainly the timing and recklessness with how this was carried out. This could have easily escalated in wide ranging attacks on US personnel in the ME and around the world. It still may come to that. The risk of human life and injury was simply too significant. That's why he wasn't taken out earlier. Thank God, as of now, it seems things have scaled back somewhat. I will be tarred and feathered for saying this, but I agree with those who view this as Trump trying to distract public opinion from his impeachment, more than anything. I think the storyline Pompeo concocted about some grave and immediate threat is bullshit. See how some of the GOP senators reacted yesterday, including Paul Ryan and Mike Lee. They were irate over the lack of info they were given. As is the case with all things Trump, he lies and decieves so often, it's hard to believe anything coming out of this cabinet. As far as your final question, I don't think this has much relevance re NK, althought that situation is nowhere near being resolved, as Trump has claimed these past three years.

What is the purpose of a watch/hit list if we don't hit after we watch sometimes?

Why do the cons necessarily outweigh the pros when taking out a target? I would argue that we would have been a blessing to history had we done this to Hitler. I will argue here that there are appropriate parallels between state sponsored terrorist and Hitler.

Does his position in the Iranian remove him from being what I called "rogue" but I probably should have called "grossly irresponsible"?

How would you get any certainty about whether or not there will be an escalation over this? Particularly when there were other such events that have yet to bring about escalation, while a few (by numeric comparison) have?

How can you or I know if this is a deflection? Would you agree that this is conjecture? Does conjecture really just expose a bias, such as when the NRA crowd says that mass shootings happen to mask things the left wants hidden?

Does any deflection mean necessarily that this action was uncalled for, or can a leader do two (or more) things at once, one being valid and others being deflection?

Does the constitution require the executive branch to let the legislative branch know about any actions that are done internationally?

Please know that I brought up the NK angle because you did. I felt then, and now, that it was really a red herring. I still do.

One more (thank you for your patience here) - Is it possible that Iran ( and NK for that matter) just realized that they have no hope of engaging the US in combat successfully, so they decided to back down? If so, is it possible that this was the plan all along?

Thanks for your conversation.

Speaking of ideology, do/did you support the following:

U.S. war in Afghanistan
U.S. war in Iraq
U.S. war in Iran

Oh, and Bin Laden is alive and well and in the women’s restroom at your local Target.

Supe took your diversionary bait, dick head. I'm not taking it. You led him down an alternate rabbit hole.

How about we stay where our little tete a tete began, with your illustrious claim that Bin Laden's supposed death is somehow greater than Soleimani's. I would appreciate you backing up your claim and refuting those I made, or just move the **** on.

There is nothing Trump could possibly do that Dems wouldn't be up in arms about. He could stumble upon the cure for cancer and Dems would be screaming that he just did it to enrich pharmaceutical companies. I think the vast majority of Americans are completely tuned out when Nancy Pelosi or Chuck Schumer express their feelings on something he does.

Oh, you think that was a bad idea? What a surprise. Yawn.

And I say that as someone who is no big fan of Trump.

Does the constitution require the executive branch to let the legislative branch know about any actions that are done internationally?

War powers are pretty well defined in the Constitution to rest with Congress, not the executive branch.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 11 of the U.S. Constitution, sometimes referred to as the War Powers Clause, vests in the Congress the power to declare war.

Not sure if Soleimani qualifies exactly, but I think most legal scholars would consider assassinating a head of state, head of military, etc. to be a declaration of war. It's easy for Trump and Pompeo to refer to him as 'a terrorist,' but Soleimani was the top General of the Iranian military forces. If some country took out our Joint Chiefs of Staff or one of our top military leaders with a drone strike, would you not consider that a declaration of war? I would.

Last edited:
Pentagon: Iran Shot Down a Commercial Airliner Carrying Hundreds of Civilians

Pentagon officials believe the Iranian regime shot down Ukrainian Airlines Flight PS 752 with a Russian anti-aircraft missile Tuesday night. All 176 innocent civilians and the crew were killed. The victims were from Canada, the UK, Sweden, Germany, Ukraine, Afghanistan and Iran. There were no Americans onboard.

"Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752, a Boeing 737–800 en route from Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airpot to Kyiv's Boryspil International Airport, stopped transmitting data Tuesday just minutes after takeoff and not long after Iran launched missiles at military bases housing U.S. and allied forces in neighboring Iraq. The aircraft is believed to have been struck by a Russia-built Tor-M1 surface-to-air missile system, known to NATO as Gauntlet

For now officials are saying the shoot down was a mistake

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katie...liner-carrying-hundreds-of-civilians-n2559254

BREAKING: U.S. officials have shared intelligence with Canada to back up the view that Ukrainian International Airlines Flight 152 was brought down by an Iranian missile, sources tell CBC News.— CBC News Alerts (@CBCAlerts)

------------------

Prob got our radar data that the Iranians turned on their fire control radar at the SAM site

Tibsy and Flog, your immaculate intelligence is needed stat in San Francisco to alert these Iranians that the death of this goat-******* piece of **** is a very bad, bad thing.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea...XZvzcjvgEx7A_648zTc4qCPIERcTgamPVJbja3cDLe0iM

Iranian Americans rally in SF to celebrate killing of Iranian general
Photo of Tatiana Sanchez
Tatiana Sanchez Jan. 5, 2020 Updated: Jan. 5, 2020 3:54 p.m.
940x0.jpg

About two dozen Iranian Americans danced, sang and chanted in San Francisco’s Union Square on Sunday afternoon to celebrate the death of Iran’s top military commander, Qassem Soleimani.

Wearing red and waving large Iranian flags, demonstrators bid farewell to a man they said is responsible for the bloodshed of thousands of people in the Middle East and during the decades-long oppression of citizens in Iran.

Mitra Rahmat, of Cupertino, couldn’t stop dancing as she held a poster with Soleimani’s picture that read, in part, “rot in hell.” Rahmat, who grew up in Tehran, said her best friend was tortured and killed by the Iranian regime at 16 during student demonstrations in 1981.

She called Soleimani’s death the “best gift” she has received in 40 years.

The group sang and danced to Persian songs and passed around loz — a Persian sweet made of almond and saffron — as tourists rushed through the busy intersection at the corner of Geary and Powell streets.

Tensions in Iran have steadily escalated since 2018, when President Trump pulled the United States out of an international deal to limit Iran’s nuclear capabilities and imposed harsh economic sanctions on the country. The killing of Soleimani and five other military leaders in a drone attack near the Baghdad airport pushed things to a new stress level.

Thousands rallied in downtown San Francisco on Saturday in an anti-war demonstration organized in response to the air strike ordered by President Trump.

Iran has vowed to retaliate and many fear it will lead to war. But demonstrators brushed off those concerns Sunday and said they hope it leads to a free Iran.

“We’re hoping that Iranian people are capable of changing the Iranian regime. That will be the greatest day in my entire life,” said Rahmat.

Hamid Azimi, a spokesman for the Iranian American Community of Northern California, a Bay Area-based nonprofit representing Iranians in the region, said Soleimani’s death is a “big blow” to the government in Iran and will help the people of Iran rise against the government. He dismissed concerns about a potential war.

“The danger of getting into a war like the kind that we had in Iraq is really not there,” he said. “Everything is different — geography is different, the politics are different. People need to understand the real war is the one going on inside Iran. We need to side with the people of Iran, helping them, empowering them.”

There is nothing Trump could possibly do that Dems wouldn't be up in arms about. He could stumble upon the cure for cancer and Dems would be screaming that he just did it to enrich pharmaceutical companies. I think the vast majority of Americans are completely tuned out when Nancy Pelosi or Chuck Schumer express their feelings on something he does.

Oh, you think that was a bad idea? What a surprise. Yawn.

And I say that as someone who is no big fan of Trump.

They're blaming him for Iranians shooting down a plane over Iranian airspace.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they're creating more Trump supporters than Trump himself.

Will Canada declare war on Iran for the shoot down, murdering dozens of their civilians?

tick tick tick

War powers are pretty well defined in the Constitution to rest with Congress, not the executive branch.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 11 of the U.S. Constitution, sometimes referred to as the War Powers Clause, vests in the Congress the power to declare war.

Not sure if Soleimani qualifies exactly, but I think most legal scholars would consider assassinating a head of state, head of military, etc. to be a declaration of war. It's easy for Trump and Pompeo to refer to him as 'a terrorist,' but Soleimani was the top General of the Iranian military forces. If some country took out our Joint Chiefs of Staff or one of our top military leaders with a drone strike, would you not consider that a declaration of war? I would.

Odd. I don't recall a single utterance from you regarding any of the peace prizes Droney McAirstrike delivered for the previous eight years on a daily basis.

82008887_2566581843458679_3263809819336769536_n.jpg

Last edited:
Members of "The Squawk" are disgusting

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">How low will Ilhan Omar go?<br><br>Watch her giggle and joke as Rep. Lee talks about American troops who lost their lives in Iraq. <br><br>Omar has a history of documented anti-Semitism and now this?<br><br>Nancy??? ⬇️<a href="https://t.co/uLXodt0vnu">pic.twitter.com/uLXodt0vnu</a></p>— Kayleigh McEnany (@kayleighmcenany) <a href="https://twitter.com/kayleighmcenany/status/1215044977132212224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 8, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Odd. I don't recall a single utterance from you regarding any of the peace prizes Droney McAirstrike delivered for the previous eight years on a daily basis.

How many government officials, heads of military forces of nation states were taken out?

I am really attempting to be civil in our discourse, but you make it difficult when one can sit back and literally just watch, like a metronome, your arguments go from one extreme to the other whether you are discussing a Democrat or a Republican.

Correct. Question: Is there precedent for Presidents of both parties to bypass this clause? Asking for a friend...

Not sure if Soleimani qualifies exactly, but I think most legal scholars would consider assassinating a head of state, head of military, etc. to be a declaration of war.

This is purely conjecture and opinion. Legal scholars and politicians have gone back and forth on these definitions since 1973. And, as you are doing, opinions change based upon who is in power and who you side with.

It's easy for Trump and Pompeo to refer to him as 'a terrorist,' but Soleimani was the top General of the Iranian military forces.

He was both. MORE importantly, he was directly attacking the United States repetitively for years. Iran has been at war with the USA. Soleimani coordinated and directed attacks against US service personnel in Iraq for what, a decade? The straw that broke the camel's back, that your side refuses to acknowledge, is he LED an attack against our US Embassy and her people. That is a DIRECT attack on the United States itself ON United States soil. The action to take him out was retaliatory.

The President has explicit directive to protect the United States when attacked: "It is generally agreed that the commander-in-chief role gives the President power to repel attacks against the United States"

We were being attacked. Had been being attacked for countless years. He finally repelled said attacks.

If some country took out our Joint Chiefs of Staff or one of our top military leaders with a drone strike, would you not consider that a declaration of war? I would.

Again, this is your opinion. Quite literally anything can be declared an "act of war" depending on your particular stance or political affiliation.

Now, let's discuss selective outrage - which you and your side are plainly exhibiting right now. Because you hate the President. It is 100% guaranteed that if a Democratic President had killed Soleimani, you'd have had no issue with it. 100%.

Let's look at the precedents put into place that you and PMSNBC and the rest of the Left have issue with today - bypassing the War Powers Act and not consulting Congress. I'll answer the question I asked you before. Is there precedent?

I believe the first violator was President Jimmy Carter and OperationEagle Claw: President Carter, without telling Congress, sent our soldiers to die trying to rescue the Iranian hostages specifically violating the 1973 War Powers act. Now I may not be accurate in stating this, but I believe that was the FIRST violation of said war powers act. It has been worked around by Presidents countless times since.

Under President Clinton, war powers were at issue in former Yugoslavia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq, and Haiti, and under President George W. Bush in responding to terrorist attacks against the U.S. after September 11, 2001. "In 1999, President Clinton kept the bombing campaign in Kosovo going for more than two weeks after the 60-day deadline had passed. Even then, however, the Clinton legal team opined that its actions were consistent with the War Powers Resolution because Congress had approved a bill funding the operation, which they argued constituted implicit authorization. That theory was controversial because the War Powers Resolution specifically says that such funding does not constitute authorization."

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton testified to Congress in March 2011 that the Obama administration did not need congressional authorization for its military intervention in Libya or for further decisions about it, despite congressional objections from members of both parties that the administration was violating the War Powers Resolution.

[url]https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/day-3-obama-ignored-congress-before-launching-libyan-war

Muammar Gaddafi was a head of state. Obama launched offensive to remove him from power. He was killed, though not directly by the US, as a result of the conflict.

Moments after it was reported that Gaddafi was killed, Fox News published an article titled "U.S. Drone Involved in Final Qaddafi Strike, as Obama Heralds Regime's 'End'", noting that a U.S. Predator drone was involved in the airstrike on Gaddafi's convoy in the moments before his death. An anonymous US official subsequently described their policy in hindsight as "lead[ing] from behind"

In late 2012 or early 2013, at the direction of U.S. President Barack Obama, the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) was put in charge of Timber Sycamore, a covert program to arm and train the rebels who were fighting against Syrian President Bashar Assad,[29] while the State Department supplied the Free Syrian Army with non-lethal aid. Following the Use of chemical weapons in the Syrian Civil War on several occasions, including a well-publicized Ghouta chemical attack on 21 August 2013, Obama asked Congress for authorization to use military force in Syria, which Congress rejected...In spite of the prohibition, President Obama, and later President Trump, introduced ground forces into Syria, and the United States became fully engaged in the country, though these troops were primarily for training allied forces. On April 6, 2017, the United States launched 59 BGM-109 Tomahawk missiles at Shayrat airbase in Syria in response to Syria's alleged use of chemical weapons. Constitutional scholar and law professor Stephen Vladeck has noted that the strike potentially violated the War Powers Resolution.

Now, you can continue to be up in arms because you hate your President. And that is certainly your right. But at least be morally consistent. You either have a problem with the War Powers Resolution being bypassed or you don't. You do try to have it both ways, but you can't. You just don't like Trump and that is the essence of your argument.

Last edited:
CANADIAN PM: "We have Intel that Iran shot down plane"

There are 176 families that want answers today

Bay of Pigs. Vietnam War. Dems don’t need no stinking permission. Everything they do us righteous