• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny Pickett through the first 4 games

FordFairLane

Reaction score
803 passing yards 200.8 ypg. 23st - 2022 2,404 passing yards 186.8 ypg 28th
6.3 yards per attempt. 25th - 2022 6.2 yards per attempt 32nd
60.6% completion percentage. 30th - 2022 63% completion percentage 23rd
4 passing touchdown 3.1% TD%. 23rd - 2022 7 passing touchdowns 1.8% TD% 33rd
4 interceptions 3.1% INT%. 28th - 2022 9 interceptions 2.3% INT% 23rd
76.3 QB rating. 29th - 2022 76.7 QB rating 32nd
0 Game winning drives. 18th tied - 4 Game winning drives 10th

So far there's been a slight improvement I would say. I will do a comparison to the first 4 to the next four and then compare first half to last half and 2022 vs 2023. Numbers don't lie so I think keeping an even head and factual data to support your opinion is very important.

Yeah you aren't obsessed at all.🙄

Yeah stats can lie BTW it doesn't show scheme, QB coach interaction, O-line average protection time, and the gun shy effect. Also they don't show garbage yards obtained . Doesn't show main WR injuries, etc.

It was pointed out to you before how stats don't paint the whole picture by numerous posters.

But here you are doing you.

🙄

So here’s what I see with Kenny so far and keep in mind I’m not bashing Kenny since I’ve been one of his biggest supporters.
A) Must break that bad habit of vacating a clean pocket too early. Stop the happy feet and step up in the pocket and let it rip.
B) Improve the timing with your receivers. I watched the int Nelson got when Kenny under threw Cal Austin in Houston. Kenny had good protection, Cal Austin broke free going across the middle deep and needed to be led with the throw. The ball was released late and under thrown so the timing needs addressed.
C) Must see the field better and make better and quicker decisions. On the int to Cal Austin Najee was open for at least a 15 yard gain. If in doubt take the second receiver option.
I’m not exonerating Canada by any means but Kenny does need to work on what I mentioned.
QB Coach Sullivan are you not seeing this? You should be because I saw it watching replays again and I’m far from a coach.
Coach Shades, can you see any of this through your dark shades? You should be since you are the so called expert.
What about you Coach Canada? You have the best seat in the house from the coaches box. How can you not see these things.
These are the things Coach HoHa Tomlin needs to be addressing with his young QB not padded practices.

Some more stats

Kenny Pickett Pressured on 49 (2nd) of his 127 (18th) pass plays …. That’s the highest percentage in the league..
Thats 20 (3) hurries, 18 (5) hits and 11 (8) sacks

However he has been blitzed only 25 times… good for 29th in the league…

Fix the damn line and quit calling predictable plays… fix tge routes so someone is open in the damn middle of the field occasionally

Kenny Pickett got drafted into the worst possible set up for a new quarterback. That's pretty clear.

Now if we would have had the set up Big Ben walked into when he got drafted, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

No quarterback is taking this offensive setup to a championship.

This defensive setup that is completely reliant on a pass rush is only going to go so far as well.

Every Joe Blow QB picks that soft zone apart and they never change it.

If you throw horrible tackling at times and the lack of shutting the running game down. You're fatally flawed.

This script is getting really old. I'm shocked the players are still buying into it.

The Steelers are falling into the trap how to fail a young QB. A bad scheme combined with a bad offensive line have only exacerbated Pickett's weaknesses. Pickett had the chance to come into the league and be a productive QB and lead a team to the playoffs, but it had to be in the right scheme and with the right talent. Not a franchise QB, but a QB who you could win with. The Steelers didn't go all in with the offensive line and didn't hire a proven OC capable of developing QBs. Pickett is as hard of a worker that you can imagine, however this will only get you so far based on limited physical abilities compared to other QBs. He's running scared right now and he'll either need a new school modern offensive guru to help make the fix or an old school Arians/Whipple who will flat out tell him what's up to get him back in gear.

The season is early. We are 2 and 2. With a win Sunday we are in first place. I am 100% sure Tomlin will have this prepared and ready to handle any and everything thing Harbaugh and the Rats bring to them. Of course we will need our D to have an above to great game. A few TDs by them would go a long long way. Hopefully Watt and Highsmith don't play soft this week as they did last week.

The Steelers are falling into the trap how to fail a young QB. A bad scheme combined with a bad offensive line have only exacerbated Pickett's weaknesses. Pickett had the chance to come into the league and be a productive QB and lead a team to the playoffs, but it had to be in the right scheme and with the right talent. Not a franchise QB, but a QB who you could win with. The Steelers didn't go all in with the offensive line and didn't hire a proven OC capable of developing QBs. Pickett is as hard of a worker that you can imagine, however this will only get you so far based on limited physical abilities compared to other QBs. He's running scared right now and he'll either need a new school modern offensive guru to help make the fix or an old school Arians/Whipple who will flat out tell him what's up to get him back in gear.
That will need to come with change and the willingness to bring in the right people. I think it was you that mentioned that the process needs to mirror their GM search. That is the approach needed. Not some fired retread or someone that doesn't have an impressive resume...

That will need to come with change and the willingness to bring in the right people. I think it was you that mentioned that the process needs to mirror their GM search. That is the approach needed. Not some fired retread or someone that doesn't have an impressive resume...
The issue is it's already two years too late. It was the wrong hire for Roethlisberger and the absolutely wrong hire to bring along a new QB. In all reality, Colbert shouldn't have even drafted a QB and instead allowed the new GM to make that decision. Instead, Khan is going to have to be the one to decide whether or not Pickett gets a second contract and what we've seen so far it'll be a much tougher evaluation given the horrible production combined with the poor circumstances over Pickett's first two years.

The issue is it's already two years too late. It was the wrong hire for Roethlisberger and the absolutely wrong hire to bring along a new QB. In all reality, Colbert shouldn't have even drafted a QB and instead allowed the new GM to make that decision. Instead, Khan is going to have to be the one to decide whether or not Pickett gets a second contract and what we've seen so far it'll be a much tougher evaluation given the horrible production combined with the poor circumstances over Pickett's first two years.
True a tough eval. They simply can't Daniel Jones him. He has to improve. I know things are stacked against him. He will have to hire his own QB guru if nothing else and have him work through his issues. If I was him I wouldn't wait for the Steelers to right the ship, I would try to go out and do some adjusting myself.

I am hoping Rooney makes some difficult decisions soon. This team desperately needs a fresh approach.

There’s some smoke there in what you’re saying, absolutely.
I think Slash and I have said in prior threads that if Kenny and Brock Purdy had traded places, things would be much different for both these QBs.
Purdy couldn’t have been inserted into a better scenario similar to when Ben came to a really stocked team with excellent coaching back in 2004.
Kenny got dropped into a hornets nest here. No first team reps last year in training camp, no first team prep the early part of last season and Tomlin drops him into the starting lineup against a pretty good Jets defense last year. He was setup to fail from the beginning because Tomlin has never had to develop and bring along a young QB until now.

There’s some smoke there in what you’re saying, absolutely.
I think Slash and I have said in prior threads that if Kenny and Brock Purdy had traded places, things would be much different for both these QBs.
Purdy couldn’t have been inserted into a better scenario similar to when Ben came to a really stocked team with excellent coaching back in 2004.
Kenny got dropped into a hornets nest here. No first team reps last year in training camp, no first team prep the early part of last season and Tomlin drops him into the starting lineup against a pretty good Jets defense last year. He was setup to fail from the beginning because Tomlin has never had to develop and bring along a young QB until now.
This offense didn't allow a Future HOF QB, although old, to succeed. It's a bad situation and Pickett has regressed--at least in terms of the eye test. Purdy isn't a great QB, but he's excellent in that system and good enough to take the 49ers on a run. Credit to him for playing really good football even though he wasn't an elite QB prospect. He wouldn't replicate that type of production with every team in the league.

With the bye week here's a comparison of the 2022 QB draft class.

Kenny Pickett 20th pick
95/159 59.7% 1,027 yards 6.5 Y/A 5td 4int 78.8 QB Rating

Desmond Ridder 74th pick
102/156 65.4% 1,073 yards 6.9 Y/A 4tds 3int 85.8 QB Rating

Sam Howell 144th pick
131/191 68.6% 1,349 yards 7.1 Y/A 6tds 6ints 86 QB Rating

Brock Purdy 262nd pick
98/136 72.1% 1,271 yards 9.3 Y/A 9tds 0ints 123.1 QB Rating (leads NFL)

Brock is head and shoulders above the rest. Leads the league in QB rating by 11.2 points. Second in average per attempt and second in completion percentage. Zappe might get some significant playing time and if so I will put his numbers in going forward. As of right now though I would say the QB class is backwards from draft position to play.

Reactions: xjx

Kenny Pickett 20th pick

Desmond Ridder 74th pick

Sam Howell 144th pick

Brock Purdy 262nd pick

Brock is head and shoulders above the rest. Leads the league in QB rating by 11.2 points. Second in average per attempt and second in completion percentage. Zappe might get some significant playing time and if so I will put his numbers in going forward. As of right now though I would say the QB class is backwards from draft position to play.
🙄🤡

BTW Kenny leads all the QBs listed with 4 -4th quarter come from behind wins.

I now return you to your daily scheduled agenda.

That because that's Tomlins plan. Win it in the 4th quarter. In reality I think Tomlin really doesn't have a plan, he just hopes his team wins.

Kenny Pickett 20th pick

Desmond Ridder 74th pick

Sam Howell 144th pick

Brock Purdy 262nd pick

All of those other QBs have a better OL than Kenny. I'd say that two of them have better WRs. Of those two, one has a better receiving TE also. They also all have a better OC than Kenny.
I'm not too happy with Kenny's production/regression myself. But, this is a case where stats don't tell the whole story.

The 49rs are getting really touchy about all the analysts pointing out that Purdy is absolutely a system QB… there isn’t anything wrong with that… if purdy and garrapalo swapped places they would probably swap passer ratings too.. that 9er team is stacked and has maybe the best offensive guru outside of Reid right now…

Purdy has a real subpar arm… if he came here he absolutely could not run this absurd outside passing attack… if we had drafted him we only would have ruined his career…

Kenny Pickett 20th pick

Desmond Ridder 74th pick

Sam Howell 144th pick

Brock Purdy 262nd pick

Outside of Purdy being an outlier, the 2022 draft class is demonstrating why they were so lowly rated. Then again, I don't think this year's class was all that good either, but physical freak of nature (Richardson) and huge arm (Levis) pushed a couple of mid rounders way up the draft board.

The 49rs are getting really touchy about all the analysts pointing out that Purdy is absolutely a system QB… there isn’t anything wrong with that… if purdy and garrapalo swapped places they would probably swap passer ratings too.. that 9er team is stacked and has maybe the best offensive guru outside of Reid right now…

Purdy has a real subpar arm… if he came here he absolutely could not run this absurd outside passing attack… if we had drafted him we only would have ruined his career…
Purdy isn't doing this with every team in the league. As you said, he landed in the perfect situation and it doesn't matter if he's a system QB because he is excellent in that system. Not every QB could go out to San Francisco and be as productive as he is.

Purdy isn't doing this with every team in the league. As you said, he landed in the perfect situation and it doesn't matter if he's a system QB because he is excellent in that system. Not every QB could go out to San Francisco and be as productive as he is.

Exactly great fit both ways… that made up for Lance, who just refused to play within the system