• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny Pickett through the first 4 games

Canada is really nothing worse or better than Haley or Fichtner. All love the short plays. Everyone had their useless infatuation with a certain play. Canada and his jet sweep, Fichtner and his bubble screen, and Haley and his midget back wheel route. The real difference has been execution. Ben in 2018 was 36 and still pretty spry. In 2019 he messed up his arm and was never the same. He was probably 75% of the QB he was in his prime. That was still good enough to put up decent numbers but he wasn't ever going to lead the NFL in passing yards again. An elite QB can put a team on their back. I would not consider Purdy elite as of now but who knows in 2 years where he is rated. He could be the next Drew Brees. A guy like Mahomes or Allen can take a team and just carry them and that has been proven. What did Reid do before Mahomes? He was a very good coach but now people are calling him the best ever. Well, he was good with a good QB like McNabb. He is elite with an elite QB like Mahomes. Look at Belicheat. He was the greatest coach in history when he had Brady. Brady leaves and turns the bucs into a super bowl winner and Belicheat just got beat like a redheaded step child in back to back weeks.

I guess what I am saying is I have not seen anything that indicates KP will be a Mahomes or Allen. We will see in a year or two because I don't think the Steelers won't give him every opportunity to develop.
Kenny Pickett will be the next Mahomes like Najee Harris will be the next leveon Bell.
The offense with Ben and Canaduh sucked in the first half of games. Ben put up his stats, the comebacks and almost every win that year when he stopped listening to Canaduh in the 2nd half of games and did his own thing. That was very well documented.

KP has some fault. The WR's have some fault. The OL has a lot of fault. And, Canaduh has a ton of fault for our problems. Canaduh is the common denominator the last 3 years where 3 QB's have struggled when they actually followed his play calling.
They all have alot of fault and not enough talent. Besides Pickens, Warren, and Friermuth, the rest have been underperforming for years.

Canada is really nothing worse or better than Haley or Fichtner. All love the short plays. Everyone had their useless infatuation with a certain play. Canada and his jet sweep, Fichtner and his bubble screen, and Haley and his midget back wheel route. The real difference has been execution. Ben in 2018 was 36 and still pretty spry. In 2019 he messed up his arm and was never the same. He was probably 75% of the QB he was in his prime. That was still good enough to put up decent numbers but he wasn't ever going to lead the NFL in passing yards again. An elite QB can put a team on their back. I would not consider Purdy elite as of now but who knows in 2 years where he is rated. He could be the next Drew Brees. A guy like Mahomes or Allen can take a team and just carry them and that has been proven. What did Reid do before Mahomes? He was a very good coach but now people are calling him the best ever. Well, he was good with a good QB like McNabb. He is elite with an elite QB like Mahomes. Look at Belicheat. He was the greatest coach in history when he had Brady. Brady leaves and turns the bucs into a super bowl winner and Belicheat just got beat like a redheaded step child in back to back weeks.

I guess what I am saying is I have not seen anything that indicates KP will be a Mahomes or Allen. We will see in a year or two because I don't think the Steelers won't give him every opportunity to develop.
Ever heard the quote, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." Mark Twain. You can pick and choose and manipulate stats to make any case you want. It isn't all objective, the use of stats can be very subjective.

I don’t see a possibility Canada is here next year. But I stated before nothing big will change unless Tomlin is gone and Tomlin isn’t leaving until Art is gone. What I will say watching film is KP still is missing opportunities. That’s on him and that’s something he needs and can improve on. I agree by all accounts KP loves football and is a hard worker. That will do him well if he’s ever going to maximize his potential.

What KP needs to improve.

1. Reading zone defenses
2. Identifying single coverage
3. Accuracy

The good news all those things can be improved with work and study.

Thank you for an intelligent response.
This is the equivalent of saying
Najee just needs to improve his speed, vision and efficiency
Then he will be a good RB.

Newsflash
These guys have been playing football they're ENTIRE lives. They aren't going to magically "Improve" They have been trying to improve since the first day they stepped on a football field.

Work and study?? LMAO

Kenny Pickett will be the next Mahomes like Najee Harris will be the next leveon Bell.
:ROFLMAO: Apparently, this is the only correct response when you are drinking the kool-aid.

They all have alot of fault and not enough talent. Besides Pickens, Warren, and Friermuth, the rest have been underperforming for years.
Look at the Chiefs. Besides Kelce their receivers are hodge podge late round picks and their running back is a 7th round pick. A QB like Mahomes can make a lo of guys look good. I also would like to point out that Reid is smart enough to bench their first round pick RB in favor of their 7th rounder because he wants the best players on his team playing. Something our HC does not agree with.

Reactions: xjx
I dont think Kenny is expected to be Mahomes or Allen. I expect him to be a fairly mobile, accurate, and a good QB overall. He does not need to be spectacular just good. He had shown he has a clutch gene and has shown some flashes he can be good. With our offensive "system" it is near impossible to judge him. Between a shaky line, bad playcalling, refusing to use the middle of the field etc etc it is not a fair judgement. Him and the WRs are not on the same page alot so not sure who is at fault there. If the offense opens up a little then we would have a better idea. It is easy to blame Pickett, but none of the QBs have looked good under Canada. Till Canada is gone or drastically changes we are a QB / offensive graveyard.
Dude is Andy Dalton. Well, he hasn't even been that good yet.

Ever heard the quote, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." Mark Twain. You can pick and choose and manipulate stats to make any case you want. It isn't all objective, the use of stats can be very subjective.
I don't think you understand the quote. The meaning behind Samuel Clemons quote is when someone manipulates stats. Like me stating passing yards, completion percentage, touchdowns to interceptions of several players and then someone says put down rushing yards or shows the average temperature which each QB is playing at. Or something irrelevant to the subject. Same with using unknown factors as an argument. We don't know how Kenny Pickett would perform in San Fran and we don't know how Brock Purdy would perform in Pittsburgh. It is just as likely if not more that Purdy would perform better in Pittsburgh as it is Kenny would not perform as well as Purdy in San Fran. But there's no real way to prove it unless they actually switched places. So why even argue about it?

You are wasting your time. The guy won't adjust his thinking ever, as that would mean he isn't as smart as he thinks he is.

I don't think you understand the quote. The meaning behind Samuel Clemons quote is when someone manipulates stats. Like me stating passing yards, completion percentage, touchdowns to interceptions of several players and then someone says put down rushing yards or shows the average temperature which each QB is playing at. Or something irrelevant to the subject. Same with using unknown factors as an argument. We don't know how Kenny Pickett would perform in San Fran and we don't know how Brock Purdy would perform in Pittsburgh. It is just as likely if not more that Purdy would perform better in Pittsburgh as it is Kenny would not perform as well as Purdy in San Fran. But there's no real way to prove it unless they actually switched places. So why even argue about it?
Nobody understands anything but you.🤡❄️

Dude is Andy Dalton. Well, he hasn't even been that good yet.
His potential is a moving target at this point. I believe it started off higher than it currently is. I heard the Joe Burrow comparison a lot before and after the draft. Then Kurt Cousins. Now who knows. I mean he definitely could be a pro bowler or hall of famer. But I would say the odds aren't very high on that. My guess currently is he could be a Marc Bulger type QB at best and worse case scenario a Bubby Brister type QB. So not a bust by any means. If we could lock him in at Andy Dalton I would probably take it. Andy had some decent years and with our defense if we could find a running game we could win some games. Maybe if everything hits right steal another super bowl.

Nobody understands anything but you.🤡❄️
So stats are lies. Why do we so much emphasis on them then? Why do we pick hall of famers and pro bowlers on them when we could just pick them out of a hat? I mean I think I have heard a few on here use them to prove that TJ Watt is better than Myles Garrett. Or are you on the pff bandwagon and just agree with them without using stats to prove your point that TJ is better?

So stats are lies. Why do we so much emphasis on them then? Why do we pick hall of famers and pro bowlers on them when we could just pick them out of a hat? I mean I think I have heard a few on here use them to prove that TJ Watt is better than Myles Garrett. Or are you on the pff bandwagon and just agree with them without using stats to prove your point that TJ is better?
I don't put a lot of emphasis on them.

If I ever throw them out I do with the understanding that they can be deceiving and not paint a clear picture.

You only want to use the negative stats to shoot down others opinions, while ignoring the positive statistics. That is cherry picking. We can't ignore Kenny's inaccuracies any more than you can dismiss his come from behind victories.

This is a fact no matter what you want to twist and turn. You focus in too much on Kenny when the team has a plethora of other problems. That again is cherry picking to meet agenda.

Kenny isn't good enough, the offense isn't good enough, the defense isn't good enough. The coaching across the board minus a few positional group coaches isn't good enough.

I seen you in game threads flood it with Kenny this and Kenny that in the same manner you did when you yes were obsessed with Rudolph.

I wouldn't expect you to see this as again that wouldn't fit into your agenda.

Then you have a habit with many posters with belittling their opinion trying to pump up your own. Then when I point out anything related to your tendencies you get unhinged.

These are the factual state of affairs.

If you did a poll you would be surprised how many agree with my take.

History is full of successful people being successful in less than ideal situations. Some were successful in abysmal conditions...

If Kenny wants to be successful he needs to succeed in spite of his pee-wee football OC, porous o-line, & injuries to 2 of his 4 WR's...

Or anything else that comes his way...THAT IS THE STEELER WAY

If your QB needs to have i.) A stellar line, ii.) Bill Wash as his OC, and iii.) Barry Sanders as his RB, then it is very likely that the individual is not a Franchise QB.

Hell, C.J. Stroud has a much worse situation and his far exceeded KP despite being 3.5 years younger. Some of you will spout 'Well that's because Slowik is > than Canada', and that is probably true. But even Shanahan and Slowik struggled with Trey Lance, which again shows that talent/execution > scheme.

Maybe KP can become a game manager eventually, but its going to be VERY difficult to win in the AFC with a game manager at the helm (ask Tenn.)

P.S. Strong possibility that I (or Ford) have already made the above comments in this thread, but I desperately want to break the Dri archer record. Speaking of which, does anyone know TMC's opinion of KP? Would love to know his predraft profile.

:ROFLMAO: Apparently, this is the only correct response when you are drinking the kool-aid.

Look at the Chiefs. Besides Kelce their receivers are hodge podge late round picks and their running back is a 7th round pick. A QB like Mahomes can make a lo of guys look good. I also would like to point out that Reid is smart enough to bench their first round pick RB in favor of their 7th rounder because he wants the best players on his team playing. Something our HC does not agree with.
I never drank the Najee or Pickett kool-aid.
Andy Reid is 10x the coach Tomlin is and Pacheco is light years better than Najee despite being a 7th round guy.
I don't see Harris or Pickett being anything but 1st round mistakes when the dust settles.
Neither guy will be in Black and Gold two years from now.

I don't put a lot of emphasis on them.

I honestly wouldn't doubt this to be true. Because lord knows you wouldn't let facts get in the way of your opinion.

If I ever throw them out I do with the understanding that they can be deceiving and not paint a clear picture.

Oh, so you put out the disclaimer these are the facts that support my opinion BUT statistics can be deceiving. Good to know. :sneaky:

You only want to use the negative stats to shoot down others opinions, while ignoring the positive statistics. That is cherry picking. We can't ignore Kenny's inaccuracies any more than you can dismiss his come from behind victories.
Negative stats... show me an example. Unless you are saying passing percentage, passing yards, yards per attempt, touchdowns and interceptions or QB Ratings aren't relevant. Ok, what stats not listed above am I forgetting? Which statistical information am I "cherry picking" that I should take out and which ones am I excluding besides GW drive victories.

Game Winning Drives
Kenny Pickett - 1
Desmond Ridder - 3
Sam Howell - 2
Brock Purdy - 0

There it is. You got me. I am a fraud, a liar, a prevaricator! The only stat that apparently matters is game winning drives so Brock Purdy is last and Kenny is 2nd to last. I guess we better throw out those touchdown stats because lord knows that has no meaning on the game. Doesn't matter if all those completions and touchdowns put your team in a position to win before the 4th quarter. Nah, you want to see a guy play mediocre for 3.5 quarters then have one good pass. (y)

This is a fact no matter what you want to twist and turn. You focus in too much on Kenny when the team has a plethora of other problems. That again is cherry picking to meet agenda.

Because I haven't stated for 5 years that Art and Tomlin needs to go. Because I didn't say two years ago that Canada isn't anything better than Fichtner or Haley. Because I haven't repeated that this TEAM is mediocre or average. Kenny is the quarterback and if you ever were a quarterback you know that when your team succeeds you give them the praise, you tell them how well they played, blocked, caught, ran, etc and when you lose YOU put that weight on your shoulders. That is part of the job. That is what leaders of men do. He plays the most important position on the team. He can influence the outcome more than any other player. So yes, I am going to analyze his play.

"They never let poor Rudolph play in any reindeer games." - slashsteel 10/30/2019

6 weeks after Ben got hurt you were already childish name calling but you are mad because a year later I am comparing stats for Kenny Pickett? Show me where I named called Pickett?

"No calling bullshit. I don't even think it is a majority that think he is a franchise. I think you are confusing hoping with thinking." - slashsteel 11/3/2019

Already giving up on Rudolph after 7 weeks. But me analyzing Pickett after 550 attempts and 17 starts is wrong? Not even making a final determination but analyzing him.

"I need to see a drive and soon. Nothing against Rudolph but he isn't progressing. I think the leash on him should be short. Depending on what the next drive shows."

Less than two months later you are already judged Rudolph and stated he should be on a short leash. At this point Rudolph had thrown 203 passes and completed 131 of them for 64.5% 1,330 yards 11 tds 4 ints and had a 93 QB rating and I can't forget about the 1 game winning drive.

"He needs to be accurate and move the chains. Get back to those 100 QB rankings and 66 percent completion percentages."

Here you are using stats. That is so unlike you. I mean I didn't even read that disclosure of how stats don't mean everything and that you were only cherry picking that stats that you deemed important.

And here it is folks. Two months after Rudolph started already 100% given up on Rudolph.

"Their INT percentage is similar. What separates the two if one wishes to compare is

1 Duck's completion percentage is higher.

2 His yards gained per attempt is clearly better.

This isn't a crowning of Duck or a slamming of Rudolph. But it is clear that the Duck is playing better football. And then add in that he is more mobile and I think he clearly gives this team the best chance to win for right now."

How dare you cherry pick stats without the disclaimer that stats lie.

Kenny isn't good enough, the offense isn't good enough, the defense isn't good enough. The coaching across the board minus a few positional group coaches isn't good enough.

I seen you in game threads flood it with Kenny this and Kenny that in the same manner you did when you yes were obsessed with Rudolph.

I wouldn't expect you to see this as again that wouldn't fit into your agenda.

Then you have a habit with many posters with belittling their opinion trying to pump up your own. Then when I point out anything related to your tendencies you get unhinged.

These are the factual state of affairs.

If you did a poll you would be surprised how many agree with my take.

I am posting about Kenny. I admit it. He is our QB. I have not called him names or stated he isn't going to be the guy. But I guess Rudolph didn't fit your agenda and Kenny does. I have a habit of stating factual data to support my opinion. When I do the people who can't support their opinions gets butt hurt. Like you. Do you want me to show you your Pickett posts? Because I can. There's tons of you just slobbering over him and now recently you are starting to back off that. Probably so you can then try to convince everyone you weren't on the K8 Train. But "Choo Choo" you were all in. And people like me who are taking the wait and see approach and are making informed decisions with factual data and observations will always come out better than knee jerk reaction opinion based decision makers, like you.

Last edited:
I never drank the Najee or Pickett kool-aid.
Andy Reid is 10x the coach Tomlin is and Pacheco is light years better than Najee despite being a 7th round guy.
I don't see Harris or Pickett being anything but 1st round mistakes when the dust settles.
Neither guy will be in Black and Gold two years from now.
I wasn't talking about you drinking the kool-aid. But many have. They are waiting for their spaceship to arrive.

I honestly wouldn't doubt this to be true. Because lord knows you wouldn't let facts get in the way of your opinion.

Oh, so you put out the disclaimer these are the facts that support my opinion BUT statistics can be deceiving. Good to know. :sneaky:

Negative stats... show me an example. Unless you are saying passing percentage, passing yards, yards per attempt, touchdowns and interceptions or QB Ratings aren't relevant. Ok, what stats not listed above am I forgetting? Which statistical information am I "cherry picking" that I should take out and which ones am I excluding besides GW drive victories.

Game Winning Drives
Kenny Pickett - 1
Desmond Ridder - 3
Sam Howell - 2
Brock Purdy - 0

There it is. You got me. I am a fraud, a liar, a prevaricator! The only stat that apparently matters is game winning drives so Brock Purdy is last and Kenny is 2nd to last. I guess we better throw out those touchdown stats because lord knows that has no meaning on the game. Doesn't matter if all those completions and touchdowns put your team in a position to win before the 4th quarter. Nah, you want to see a guy play mediocre for 3.5 quarters then have one good pass. (y)

Because I haven't stated for 5 years that Art and Tomlin needs to go. Because I didn't say two years ago that Canada isn't anything better than Fichtner or Haley. Because I haven't repeated that this TEAM is mediocre or average. Kenny is the quarterback and if you ever were a quarterback you know that when your team succeeds you give them the praise, you tell them how well they played, blocked, caught, ran, etc and when you lose YOU put that weight on your shoulders. That is part of the job. That is what leaders of men do. He plays the most important position on the team. He can influence the outcome more than any other player. So yes, I am going to analyze his play.

"They never let poor Rudolph play in any reindeer games." - slashsteel 10/30/2019

6 weeks after Ben got hurt you were already childish name calling but you are mad because a year later I am comparing stats for Kenny Pickett? Show me where I named called Pickett?

"No calling bullshit. I don't even think it is a majority that think he is a franchise. I think you are confusing hoping with thinking." - slashsteel 11/3/2019

Already giving up on Rudolph after 7 weeks. But me analyzing Pickett after 550 attempts and 17 starts is wrong? Not even making a final determination but analyzing him.

"I need to see a drive and soon. Nothing against Rudolph but he isn't progressing. I think the leash on him should be short. Depending on what the next drive shows."

Less than two months later you are already judged Rudolph and stated he should be on a short leash. At this point Rudolph had thrown 203 passes and completed 131 of them for 64.5% 1,330 yards 11 tds 4 ints and had a 93 QB rating and I can't forget about the 1 game winning drive.

"He needs to be accurate and move the chains. Get back to those 100 QB rankings and 66 percent completion percentages."

Here you are using stats. That is so unlike you. I mean I didn't even read that disclosure of how stats don't mean everything and that you were only cherry picking that stats that you deemed important.

And here it is folks. Two months after Rudolph started already 100% given up on Rudolph.

"Their INT percentage is similar. What separates the two if one wishes to compare is

1 Duck's completion percentage is higher.

2 His yards gained per attempt is clearly better.

This isn't a crowning of Duck or a slamming of Rudolph. But it is clear that the Duck is playing better football. And then add in that he is more mobile and I think he clearly gives this team the best chance to win for right now."

How dare you cherry pick stats without the disclaimer that stats lie.

I am posting about Kenny. I admit it. He is our QB. I have not called him names or stated he isn't going to be the guy. But I guess Rudolph didn't fit your agenda and Kenny does. I have a habit of stating factual data to support my opinion. When I do the people who can't support their opinions gets butt hurt. Like you. Do you want me to show you your Pickett posts? Because I can. There's tons of you just slobbering over him and now recently you are starting to back off that. Probably so you can then try to convince everyone you weren't on the K8 Train. But "Choo Choo" you were all in. And people like me who are taking the wait and see approach and are making informed decisions with factual data and observations will always come out better than knee jerk reaction opinion based decision makers, like you.
😅 Write a book why don't you.

Yeah I say different things about Kenny at different times my opinion changes so what snowflake. That is called being adjustable to outcomes. You pass the same crap off regardless of what anyone says to you that is a pompous approach to football. Like you are a know it all . You aren't. Not really going to dissect your nonsense as I know it wouldn't matter anyway. We know you are stuck in your opinions regardless of who says what.

Yeah what you say is factual and everyone else not the case.

You seriously have some deep seeded issues get help.

I wasn't talking about you drinking the kool-aid. But many have. They are waiting for their spaceship to arrive.
Nobody drank any kool aid patch , they just are smart enough the problems are more than Kenny Kenny Kenny. Keep spewing your nonsense it is comical.

😅 Write a book why don't you.

Yeah I say different things about Kenny at different times my opinion changes so what snowflake. That is called being adjustable to outcomes. You pass the same crap off regardless of what anyone says to you that is a pompous approach to football. Like you are a know it all . You aren't. Not really going to dissect your nonsense as I know it wouldn't matter anyway. We know you are stuck in your opinions regardless of who says what.

Yeah what you say is factual and everyone else not the case.

You seriously have some deep seeded issues get help.

What is adjustable to outcomes? I have never heard of this term. I know what it means to flip-flop. I know a guy named Brandon that does that all the time.

No, I said what I say is factual and what you say is 🐎:poop:

Hey, I have a great idea. Why don't you ignore me and I will ignore you. Or just quit habitually responding multiple times to each and every post I make. Otherwise, I am going to continue to call out all your BS you post on here every chance I get. I mean after a year of me ignoring you and from what I can tell you taking every opportunity to one sided bash me you might have a little more of a challenge with someone who actually responds.

What is adjustable to outcomes? I have never heard of this term. I know what it means to flip-flop. I know a guy named Brandon that does that all the time.

No, I said what I say is factual and what you say is 🐎:poop:

Hey, I have a great idea. Why don't you ignore me and I will ignore you. Or just quit habitually responding multiple times to each and every post I make. Otherwise, I am going to continue to call out all your BS you post on here every chance I get. I mean after a year of me ignoring you and from what I can tell you taking every opportunity to one sided bash me you might have a little more of a challenge with someone who actually responds.
I have an idea why don't you merry go **** yourself and I will continue call you out on all your bullshit posts. Which is way more than any other poster on this site. Wasting bandwidth while paying nothing.

Yeah I know what everyone says besides you is horseshit. Like cooch you are a legend in your own mind.

Unlike you I don't crawl up in a ball when someone doesn't agree with me. You can pretend to put me on ignore again if you wish I could care less regardless. As I don't get unhinged like you obviously do. To bad for you buckle up snowflake a bumpy ride ahead.

Here's how I'm looking at Pickett right now. He definitely gets a third year as a starter (he could even get a fourth). Based on what he's shown us right now, would I give him the fifth-year option? No. Does that mean I'm looking to draft a QB after this year? Not yet. However, at some point he has to shown he can overcome the scheme and make some plays on his own if he's going to be the long-term answer. I expected moderate growth this season and have instead seen regression.

Here's how I'm looking at Pickett right now. He definitely gets a third year as a starter (he could even get a fourth). Based on what he's shown us right now, would I give him the fifth-year option? No. Does that mean I'm looking to draft a QB after this year? Not yet. However, at some point he has to shown he can overcome the scheme and make some plays on his own if he's going to be the long-term answer. I expected moderate growth this season and have instead seen regression.
Very curious what he will look like year three without Canada. But sure we can't argue that we need to see more as of right now.

Very curious what he will look like year three without Canada. But sure we can't argue that we need to see more as of right now.
It was just wasted time the past two years. I go back to the Steelers hiring a guy like Dave Canales, who has done good work with Geno Smith and Baker Mayfield. Is there a similar coach out there just waiting for his chance to make his mark as an OC? When you draft a QB, you should have a good offensive line in place with a solid ground game and a coach on staff with a proven track record of developing a QB, whether it be a QB coach or OC. The Steelers went 0 for 4 on those boxes prior to drafting Pickett.