• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny states he "learned nothing" from the sidelines in Cinci game.

Here is my question. At what point is Pickett responsible for his own performance? Do you wait until everything else is considered near perfect before you can truly evaluate him? That seems to be what some are advocating.

I mean, we’ve blamed everything and everyone else to this point. The HC, the OC, the owners, the oline, the receivers. That’s a lot of firing and replacing for a guy that isn’t showing a lot.

I want the guy to succeed. If he is successful, the Steelers are more fun to watch and that much closer to a championship. Pickett succeeding is preferable to starting over with another rookie. That said…….how long do you wait? Another year? Two? Five?

The Steelers are in a tough spot with Pickett, especially when you consider this is probably the most QB rich draft in years. Whatever decision they make, hope it’s the right one.

Here is my question. At what point is Pickett responsible for his own performance? Do you wait until everything else is considered near perfect before you can truly evaluate him? That seems to be what some are advocating.

I mean, we’ve blamed everything and everyone else to this point. The HC, the OC, the owners, the oline, the receivers. That’s a lot of firing and replacing for a guy that isn’t showing a lot.

I want the guy to succeed. If he is successful, the Steelers are more fun to watch and that much closer to a championship. Pickett succeeding is preferable to starting over with another rookie. That said…….how long do you wait? Another year? Two? Five?

The Steelers are in a tough spot with Pickett, especially when you consider this is probably the most QB rich draft in years. Whatever decision they make, hope it’s the right one.
All QBs are responsible for their performance but with players in general there is a certain time frame that often takes place to figure out their end result. Seems like year three often brings a heavier understanding.

Hell even some veterans simply do better in better schemes or being brought to teams that can coach up well.

It is a patient process but often fans or teams don't have that patience to see it through. Especially when it comes to QBs.

What we see now can be what we see now, or a QB that is still developing.

For me I don't want to stamp a green QB even if it is easy to do so.

I will identify his weaknesses and strengths and look to the future for hoping he develops while still being open minded to drafted competition.

Also lately we have seen instances of players leaving and doing better. So that doesn't scream as the ideal situation for a young Pittsburgh Steeler regardless of position.

The Steelers are in a tough spot with Pickett, especially when you consider this is probably the most QB rich draft in years. Whatever decision they make, hope it’s the right one.S
When KP was drafted, most pundits didn't think he'd start his 1st year or maybe he would start midway/part way through as he ended up doing. They also said you need to give him time especially when they saw how bad the O still was under Canaduh and the fact they didn't fire him at the end of last season. Most said you need to give him that year under a new OC for sure especially since most said you need to give a QB 2 to 3 years minimum. They brought up a prime example with Josh Allen and it was brought up about Bradshaw and others. I felt the same way as the pundits. Heck, we give other 1st rounders through their 4th year so why not KP? I think he should go into the offseason as our QB1 under an entire new O coaching staff, not just the OC. They need an entirely new O installed and preferably one that works to KP's strengths. If he is still floundering halfway through the season, then you go to your backup if we are still in the hunt. If not, leave him in and hope he improves. If not, hope for a decent draft pick and draft a QB in round 1. And to your question, there is no doubt KP is partly to blame but I still put Canaduh as the root cause with the OL in 2nd followed closely behind by KP. The OL let KP get hammered back there and he got a little case of happy feet. He now needs to learn to trust his OL and stay settled more in the pocket. I don't think you will ever keep him in there as he does well when on the move and that keeps the D guessing. As I said, we need an OC that can put in a system that can work to KP's strengths.

I think that Bradshaw had the time to develop into the QB the Steelers needed to fit their O, and had the talent and just enough mental fortitude to turn an almost bust situation into a surreal career that established both the Steelers and himself as NFL icons, far above peers at the time. Given his rough start, it was an amazing trajectory.

Ben came into the perfect situation for a first year QB with the great D and running game, and with the coaching to allow him to be proficient in what the Steelers needed. The results were excellent immediately and even survived the coaching change. Ben's personal abilities led the Steelers to be be respected, even when the performance drop-off around him was significant under Tomlin.

KFP is in a situation, far from ideal, where he appears to need more from the Steelers, via OC/QB coaching, OL, than they have now. Only time, with new coaches to allow KFP to blossom, will help. Since this was obvious last year, it seems clear that Tomlin/FO effed up in not replacing Canada. So they have lost a season in the evolution of KFP. The story isn't complete, but next season is a big one for the future of KFP.

Until then, the QB best able to produce results should play. That clearly isn't Mitch. Since Rudy gets the nod today, if he wins he should play next week. If not, and most PO hope is gone, then the health of KFP vs experience for him should decide who starts.

There is always the chance KP8 isn’t the QB we thought he was, or more specific, what Coach Tomlin thought he was.

I feel if the right QB is there in the draft, you pull the trigger. Competition is good in the NFL and that will determine if waiting for KP* to find his way VS a NOW QB and the talent we have. I’m not into wasting talented careers as we have been known to do.

Salute the nation

All I am saying is that it took Terry 3 to 4 years get the NFL game figured out. After 1 1/2" years you are saying KP is a bust. You do not know that in 1 1/2 years????? Sometimes (like Terry, it takes some QB's more time to figure the NFL game out) Ben was special, Just like Tom Bardy, but those guy's don't come around very often. I am not saying KP is going to be a great QB in this league. In fact if you completly read my post, I said I did not like the pick! I wanted them to wait till the following year. But you have to give this guy more time before you call him a bust.

You seriously aren't going back 50 years for a comparison are you? How about looking at Pickett's historically bad TD%. He was bottom five all time the last I saw. It's probably worse now.

Very nice post, good sir.

I'm sure you've read the whole thread and the theme(s) on Kenny are crystal clear...

The fella plays scared and that means he can't see the whole field. I've watched every one of his games twice and cannot recall one game that Kenny saw the second or third option.

I hope you're right, but, I challenged the draft pick when he was selected (not like I have any influence on picks) because I watched his collegiate career and he took too long to "get it" in college...
Very nice post from you too! I was not happy with the pick either and like I said I was hoping they would wait one more year where I thought there were better QB's coming out. But, I will say this. what baffles me with KP is, that last year he had those few last minute drives for the wins (against good defenses) where he looked like Big Ben and you just can not teach that! I don't know where that went???? coaching and play calling holding him back, has made him play scared???? Because he sure did not play that way at the end of those games????? I guess, I am just willing to give him some more time under (hopefully) better coaching to see what he really is. I sure would hate to trade him somewhere and all of the sudden he turns into an all pro. There is always a risk with any QB you draft, you just have to let it play out. I don't post much on here, but I love this board and there are some really good opinions from some really good posters on here! Go Steelers!!!!!!!

There is always the chance KP8 isn’t the QB we thought he was, or more specific, what Coach Tomlin thought he was.

I feel if the right QB is there in the draft, you pull the trigger. Competition is good in the NFL and that will determine if waiting for KP* to find his way VS a NOW QB and the talent we have. I’m not into wasting talented careers as we have been known to do.

Salute the nation
I can see that. I don't know about the first round since we still have so many needs. If a guy they love falls, though, it wouldn't surprise me to see them pull the trigger. Just as I can easily see them pulling the trigger on another WR for KP to throw to.

I can see that. I don't know about the first round since we still have so many needs. If a guy they love falls, though, it wouldn't surprise me to see them pull the trigger. Just as I can easily see them pulling the trigger on another WR for KP to throw to.
If you don't believe Pickett is the guy and want to go the rookie route again, you have to pick your QB over any other position. However, if they decide to go in a different direction, I think they'll acquire a veteran rather than draft one.

As I said, we need an OC that can put in a system that can work to KP's strengths.
What are his strengths?

Field vision?
Pocket presence?
Accuracy?
Throwing guys open?
Velocity?
Timing?
Leadership?

I don’t see any of those as a strength when it comes to Kenny Pickett. Perhaps I’m missing something, but he doesn’t excel in any of the things listed above. Help a brother out.

What are his strengths?

Field vision?
Pocket presence?
Accuracy?
Throwing guys open?
Velocity?
Timing?
Leadership?

I don’t see any of those as a strength when it comes to Kenny Pickett. Perhaps I’m missing something, but he doesn’t excel in any of the things listed above. Help a brother out.
I think at times he has shown pocket presence, accuracy, leadership,enough velocity. Throwing guys open and field vision probably are my biggest question marks.

Looks like the Steelers are going with what they perceive to be the hot hand today.

Reading Kenny’s draft profile is interesting. If you read the weaknesses he had coming out of college and compare it to the issues he’s having now, it’s mostly the same. Almost exactly the same. It’s uncanny. And it’s all stuff he could be coached through. Just shows that the coaching staff either hasn’t taken steps to correct it, or Kenny is going to carry that **** around like luggage for the rest of his career. Read the attachment. WTF are they doing in Pittsburgh?IMG_5800.png

What are his strengths?

Field vision?
Pocket presence?
Accuracy?
Throwing guys open?
Velocity?
Timing?
Leadership?

Bingo!!!

I mean, we’ve blamed everything and everyone else to this point. The HC, the OC, the owners, the oline, the receivers. That’s a lot of firing and replacing for a guy that isn’t showing a lot
I've noticed this and I am just sick as hell about it; the Kenny apologists make every single excuse for the guy under the sun. And yet here comes journeyman, Mason Rudolph, who under the same conditions just wipes the field up with all the same factors involved. Give it a break: Kenny just isn't playing well at all, period. Too bad if he went to PITT and you want him to be your hero, he didn't work out.

He's gotta be irate at the thought that he just got a surgery and screws in his anke that he could have avoided.

He's gotta be irate at the thought that he just got a surgery and screws in his anke that he could have avoided.
In the end, Tomlin got his 9th win. All that matters.

In the end, Tomlin got his 9th win. All that matters.
Played golf with two strangers this summer and they ended up being Cheatriot fans. They tried to patronize me with that and I told them that 9 and 8 does nothing for me and I don’t parlticiularly like Tomlin because he lets the players stray. They were so locked in today and it’s shameful that it takes win or go home to get their focus. That’s coaching and culture.

Very nice post, good sir.

I'm sure you've read the whole thread and the theme(s) on Kenny are crystal clear...

The fella plays scared and that means he can't see the whole field. I've watched every one of his games twice and cannot recall one game that Kenny saw the second or third option.

I hope you're right, but, I challenged the draft pick when he was selected (not like I have any influence on picks) because I watched his collegiate career and he took too long to "get it" in college...
You just said in the game day thread today that we would have won vs Arizona and Indy if we only had the guy you lovingly referred to earlier this season as Kenny ****** Pickett, you’ve defended his sub 175 yard passing days and 16 points a game

You either need to quit flip flopping or put down the crack pipe, you have no authority to call anyone out on this board

I've noticed this and I am just sick as hell about it; the Kenny apologists make every single excuse for the guy under the sun. And yet here comes journeyman, Mason Rudolph, who under the same conditions just wipes the field up with all the same factors involved. Give it a break: Kenny just isn't playing well at all, period. Too bad if he went to PITT and you want him to be your hero, he didn't work out.

No, you Pickett haters aren't even giving him a chance to develop. And trying to say that Mason is playing under the same factors involved is bullshit. He's faced two defenses that are decimated with injury. Almost as bad as ours. Mason had the luxury of the best running game since 2008, 145 yards on the ground at halftime. You better be able to hit the wide open guy because the were 9 in the box on a play fake. But keep hoping Kenny fails.

Not even through his second season, what the Pickett "apologists" are saying is give the man a chance to develop with a real OC. Mason, while being a back up QB, is a veteran. He is however, NOT a journeyman, he's only played for the steelers. Remember, no one offered him a contract at all this off season.

I'm not sure they are in that tough a spot. They took him at 20, not #1 or in the top 5. In that range there are usually a number of options of closer to sure things. At 20, not so much. The Steelers decide to draft another QB, I don't know, it doesn't seem to me to be as big a deal as if it would have been in the top 5.

No, you Pickett haters aren't even giving him a chance to develop. And trying to say that Mason is playing under the same factors involved is bullshit. He's faced two defenses that are decimated with injury. Almost as bad as ours. Mason had the luxury of the best running game since 2008, 145 yards on the ground at halftime. You better be able to hit the wide open guy because the were 9 in the box on a play fake. But keep hoping Kenny fails.

Not even through his second season, what the Pickett "apologists" are saying is give the man a chance to develop with a real OC. Mason, while being a back up QB, is a veteran. He is however, NOT a journeyman, he's only played for the steelers. Remember, no one offered him a contract at all this off season.
Pickett has played against bad defenses. Pickett has one complete game in his two year career. The rest he’s played maybe 1.5 quarters of good football at most. I expect a lot more from a first-round pick. At some point if they’re going to be the long-term answer they have to make the easy plays and create on their own. Pickett has rarely done either and even Pickett’s biggest defenders acknowledge how much help he needs to succeed.

A QB that no one wanted just had the best two performances we’ve seen from a QB in two years and the best offensive production in terms of points since November of 2021. The criticisms of Pickett are fair and valid.