• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny states he "learned nothing" from the sidelines in Cinci game.

Just to add to my point about the Steelers and Pickett...what situation would you prefer...Pittsburgh's or Jacksonville's? Lawrence was #1 overall...they almost have to give him a 2nd contract picking him there. He's is not exactly blowing anyone's hair back. I don't think the steelers are as beholding to doing anything like that with Pickett if he doesn't show more.

I think at times he has shown pocket presence, accuracy, leadership,enough velocity. Throwing guys open and field vision probably are my biggest question marks.

Looks like the Steelers are going with what they perceive to be the hot hand today.
As it stands currently. Rudolph is the best QB option

As it stands currently. Rudolph is the best QB option
Not sure long term but short term he is the hot hand. Good problem to have a QB playing well. I enjoyed the win and hope for another.

I wonder if he learned anything from this game.
That he will be on the bench the rest of the season.

Seriously, the one third down when Mason stood in a collapsing pocket and makes the deep throw to Pickens who made a diving catch…100% Pickett gets happy feet and is sacked on the play.

Not even through his second season, what the Pickett "apologists" are saying is give the man a chance to develop with a real OC. Mason, while being a back up QB, is a veteran. He is however, NOT a journeyman, he's only played for the steelers. Remember, no one offered him a contract at all this off season.
I knew some Kenny apologist would be taking this angle: Yes, I know Mason isn't technically a "journeyman" because he has only played on one team. But as you admit, he wasn't even sought by another team making him "less than" a journeyman. So no, he's not technically a journeyman, he's "worse" than one; a player who no other team even wanted. Are you happy now?

And, since you are blaming Mason's horrific play on being inexperienced, go ahead and name what modern day legit QB who has started off as terrible as Mason and has gone on to excel in the NFL. And we are talking really struggling here, not some "middling" QB play, but real cellar dweller play. - two years into his career. Not just his rookie season. And, oh Kenny is so young? He's almost 26 years old. He's closer to 30 than to 20.

Last edited:
Kenny did play well and if Tomlin wasn't an idiot Kenny would have had 300 and a TD. If you can not see Kenny played well in the first Cincy game then you are either blind, ignorant, or just plain trolling. Cincys defense stinks, both QBs looked good against them there is 0 to argue here. Pickett has a knack to pull through in the 4th just like Ben did. All the QBs are hindered due to the line and coaching. Mason had the luxury of going against one of the worst Ds in his first game. If Seattle brings a pass rush it will be interesting to see how he handles it.
Mason whopped on Seattle's D, now what you got to say? I'm all ears.

Let's give him an OC, figured upgrading the OL, THEN we can evaluate Pickett.
Mason played with that very same OL but did tremendous, by comparison, to what Kenny did. Anyone who can't see the difference in play between the two needs to seriously visit the ophthalmologist. Kenny's "style of play" makes the OL (and offense in total) worse. Any QB who can't process what is going on in the field in front of him in a timely manner will do that. Kenny can't decipher a defense, period. He doesn't see what receiver is open, who is coming open, where the pressure is coming from - he just "blinks" and turns and runs to his right, and then has to readjust which always takes too long and he doesn't even see wide open targets. And when he DOES see who is open, he often "misfires" high or low, ruining the play with inaccuracy. Now THAT isn't a QB who will make ANY system work. On the plays when Kenny does have time, he screws the play up regardless.

You go with the hot hand right now which is Rudolph. That being said, just a reminder that during our 3 game slide that put us on the outside looking in the problem wasn't Pickett, it was Mitch Tribisky. Mason who has had the benefit of having a fresh Canada free start has stepped in and performed at a high level. I agree that we should see what Kenny can do with a new OC next season, let Pickett and Rudolph duel it out for the starting position.

I agree that we should see what Kenny can do with a new OC next season, let Pickett and Rudolph duel it out for the starting position.
You mean "let them duel it out" as they did in 2022? Oh, that was a fake "duel." Mason was never given a real opportunity to "win" the job that year. Will 2024 be akin to that "competition?" No thanks, if I'm Mason, that was a total bull s--- show from day one. Shades claimed it was a "competition"" but no competition ever existed in any real way. It was totally pre-decided. What's to say it won't be once again in 2024?

I knew some Kenny apologist would be taking this angle: Yes, I know Mason isn't technically a "journeyman" because he has only played on one team. But as you admit, he wasn't even sought by another team making him "less than" a journeyman. So no, he's not technically a journeyman, he's "worse" than one; a player who no other team even wanted. Are you happy now?

And, since you are blaming Mason's horrific play on being inexperienced, go ahead and name what modern day legit QB who has started off as terrible as Mason and has gone on to excel in the NFL. And we are talking really struggling here, not some "middling" QB play, but real cellar dweller play. - two years into his career. Not just his rookie season. And, oh Kenny is so young? He's almost 26 years old. He's closer to 30 than to 20.
I'm assuming that what you meant to say was name a QB who has started off as terribly as Kenny Pickett, since Rudolph didn't take a single snap in his rookie year. Here's one: Josh Allen.

Allen went 15-12 with a 78.2 passer rating over his first two seasons. Kenny is currently 14-10 with a 78.8 passer rating. What they also have in common is almost the exact same amount of 4th quarter comebacks and game-winnning drives: Allen had 6 and 8, Pickett has 6 and 7.

They have remarkably similar numbers after two seasons. I'm not a "Kenny apologist," and I certainly don't personally believe that KP is the next Josh Allen, but you asked for an example, and there it is.

I wonder if he learned anything from this game.
I learned that Mike Tomlin has clinched his 17th straight non-losing season to start his career, which is an NFL record.

I'm assuming that what you meant to say was name a QB who has started off as terribly as Kenny Pickett, since Rudolph didn't take a single snap in his rookie year. Here's one: Josh Allen.

Allen went 15-12 with a 78.2 passer rating over his first two seasons. Kenny is currently 14-10 with a 78.8 passer rating. What they also have in common is almost the exact same amount of 4th quarter comebacks and game-winnning drives: Allen had 6 and 8, Pickett has 6 and 7.

They have remarkably similar numbers after two seasons. I'm not a "Kenny apologist," and I certainly don't personally believe that KP is the next Josh Allen, but you asked for an example, and there it is.
Josh Allen is one of the most physically gifted QBs in the NFL. He also went from 10 TDs and 12 INTs as a rookie to 20 TDs and 9 INTs in year 2. Those were the numbers I wanted from Pickett. Instead we have 6 TDs and 4 INTs, fewer TDs than his rookie year.

I'd imagine that dude that gave Kennard and his wife each a Genesis to drive around town is making some calls to try and get them back. lol

Josh Allen is one of the most physically gifted QBs in the NFL. He also went from 10 TDs and 12 INTs as a rookie to 20 TDs and 9 INTs in year 2. Those were the numbers I wanted from Pickett. Instead we have 6 TDs and 4 INTs, fewer TDs than his rookie year.
KP's TD% is miniscule, no doubt. But nonetheless, @Greg Lloyd asked a question, and Josh Allen is a valid answer.

Thank you, now I don't have to state this obvious fact.

KP's TD% is miniscule, no doubt. But nonetheless, @Greg Lloyd asked a question, and Josh Allen is a valid answer.
SteelerFan448 said:

Umm, you asked for an example, and I gave you a guy with an almost identical won/loss record, passer rating, number of comebacks, and number of game-winning drives. Sorry if those obvious facts bother you.

Josh Allen showed improvement in year two, yeah. But he also had a passer rating in the 60s in 3 of his final 4 games of that season, and his highest completion percentage in any of those contests was 52%. And he followed that up with another 69 rating in a first-round playoff loss. So I'm quite sure there were plenty of Bills fans still questioning if Allen was a franchise quarterback at that point.

Umm, you asked for an example, and I gave you a guy with an almost identical won/loss record, passer rating, number of comebacks, and number of game-winning drives. Sorry if those obvious facts bother you.
Different question. Is there an example of a QB who regressed after his rookie season with every weakness he had in college being a glaring issue in the NFL while also having an all-time low TD % succeeded long-term in the NFL?

Different question. Is there an example of a QB who regressed after his rookie season with every weakness he had in college being a glaring issue in the NFL while also having an all-time low TD % succeeded long-term in the NFL?
Probably not, but saying that every weakness Pickett had in college is now a "glaring issue" might be a bit much.

Probably not, but saying that every weakness Pickett had in college is now a "glaring issue" might be a bit much.
Happy feet, leaving clean pockets too soon, and not throwing receivers open were his biggest issues in college. I think they're all pretty substantial right now and the big reason for his lack of success.

Happy feet, leaving clean pockets too soon, and not throwing receivers open were his biggest issues in college. I think they're all pretty substantial right now and the big reason for his lack of success.
The biggest issue I remember about Pickett coming out of college was his small hand size, and how he'd be prone to fumbling all the time. That certainly hasn't become a glaring issue, as he's had a grand total of 6 fumbles in 2 seasons, or 5 less than Ben did in his final year.

The biggest issue I remember about Pickett coming out of college was his small hand size, and how he'd be prone to fumbling all the time. That certainly hasn't become a glaring issue, as he's had a grand total of 6 fumbles in 2 seasons, or 5 less than Ben did in his final year.
Yeah that small hands thing was never going to be an issue and I don't know why anyone made a big deal about it. Having season tickets and watching Pickett for years his issues were obvious. Another issue was his lack of touchdown passes (surprise), which seems to either be a vision or anticipation issue. He had 38 in his first three years as the full-time starter before having 42 in his final year.

Mason played with that very same OL but did tremendous, by comparison, to what Kenny did. Anyone who can't see the difference in play between the two needs to seriously visit the ophthalmologist. Kenny's "style of play" makes the OL (and offense in total) worse. Any QB who can't process what is going on in the field in front of him in a timely manner will do that. Kenny can't decipher a defense, period. He doesn't see what receiver is open, who is coming open, where the pressure is coming from - he just "blinks" and turns and runs to his right, and then has to readjust which always takes too long and he doesn't even see wide open targets. And when he DOES see who is open, he often "misfires" high or low, ruining the play with inaccuracy. Now THAT isn't a QB who will make ANY system work. On the plays when Kenny does have time, he screws the play up regardless.

The way you describe Pickett's play, you would think that he would be leading the league in INT'S, lowest completion % in league history, that he would just be so bad, we would be begging for Kent Graham again. You over exaggerate his weaknesses, and don't even mention any of the things he has done well. You don't lead the league in 4th quarter QB ratings not being able to play in this league at all.

And who the **** cares how old he is. Ben played until 37, Brady even later, QB's aren't running backs, washed up by 28. And yes Pickett is still young in nfl experience.

As for the OL, it has gotten better as the year has gone on, definitely in the running game, not so much in pass protection. Mason was still under a lot of pressure in obvious passing situations. The difference has been the running game, it opens up the pass game and play action when it's working like it has the last two games. One thing that has not improved is Mason Cole's snaps. They are still all over the place...

The way you describe Pickett's play, you would think that he would be leading the league in INT'S, lowest completion % in league history, that he would just be so bad, we would be begging for Kent Graham again. You over exaggerate his weaknesses, and don't even mention any of the things he has done well. You don't lead the league in 4th quarter QB ratings not being able to play in this league at all.
Wow, you'd think by your positioning of KP that he has shown great glimpses of quality NFL QB play....maybe in your dreams. His career TD-int ratio is 13-13, and yet you hold up hs play as something you would brag about? Dear Lord, Dick Tracey, please tell me no. Please tell me you don't see some kind of chasm between he and Kent Graham, because there isn't one. KG's career TD-int stats are 39 TDs -33 int. At east he has SOME more TDS than ints. Kenny does not. You sit and and denergrate Kent's play as the Worst ever, yet celebrate Kenny's play as something to admire. As if it hasn't been 100% horrid. And so the once-ridiculed Mason enters the picture and what happens? He punks Kenny's #s by a wide margin. And yet you think Kenny's production is something to glorify? Hilarious.

Just look at Kenny's #s, look at them for God's sake. They are pathetic and have been ever since he took snaps and CONTINUE to be.

https://www.nfl.com/players/kenny-pickett/stats/career

Next time you want to brag about a QB's production, look for a TD-int ratio better than .500%. Just to clue you in.