• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Let’s really appreciate the Stupidity of Gunner’s Kickoff gaff…

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So I’d like to take some time to truly reflect on what must be the Steelers dumbest on field play since Plax spiked a live ball or at least since they botched that free kick after the safety vs Cleveland in 2018… (Danny Smiths special teams apparently get stupider playing the Browns)

Last night, Gunner OSucksvy was on the Field for a kickoff before what was going to be our first offensive possession.

The Browns kicker booted it towards the sideline and it was on its way out of bounds, when inexplicably Gunner ran it down, reached out over the out of bounds line, grabbed it, and toe tapped to stay in bounds, awarding the Steelers ****** possession at the 9 yard line…

Now let me explain the NFL’s “kickoff out of bounds” rule… if a kickoff is ruled out of bounds then the receiving team can elect to either take the ball where it went out, or 30 yards from where the kickoff took place (usually the 35 yard line)

Moreover, a kickoff is considered out of bounds if any player from any team touches it while out of bounds… so if ball stops dead at the ten yard line in bounds and someone steps out of bounds, then touches it, that is a kickoff out of bounds…

So lets look at Gunners options right there..

1. Do nothing… the ball lands out of bounds and the steelers get it at the 35
2. Go out of bounds , then touch it.. the steelers get it at the 35
3. Catch it in the air and land out of bounds… the steelers get it at the 35
4. Fair catch it and toe tap, still stupid but at least they get it at the 25
5. Ignore the ball altogether, run down the field and punch a guy in the face, getting a penalty and probably a rekick that probably ends up at the 25 yard line anyway … in a worse case they rule that the penalty can be marked off from the 35 and the Steelers still get it on the 20… also this gets yourself ejected so he can’t fumble later…

6…. Do what he did … and we get it on the 9…

I’ve been saying this since training camp. There is absolutely zero reason for him to be on this football team.
Oh he’s a good locker room presence. Me too! Pay me a million per season and I’ll be a great locker room guy. Hell, I’ll bring the donuts and coffee every morning on me.
Totally ridiculous bs from Tomlin!

just think ...

this guy is also occupying a roster spot. We could conceivably call up Breiden Fehoko and put him back there to just field kickoffs and have better success.

as an added bonus, Fehoko could contribute along the DL, whereas Gunner could not contribute to our offensive offense.

There is not one possible explanation or justification...but again, the football smarts of this team never ceases to amaze me.

just think ...

this guy is also occupying a roster spot. We could conceivably call up Breiden Fehoko and put him back there to just field kickoffs and have better success.

as an added bonus, Fehoko could contribute along the DL, whereas Gunner could not contribute to our offensive offense.
We actually played that game with an open roster spot… I really don’t understand why they IRd two guys then only signed one

Gunner sucks. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. He is supposed to be a professional. Looks pretty amateur to me.

This is not his first rodeo. I can't imagine what he was thinking of.

Still appreciating the stupidity that was not cutting him last year

CA3 is obviously better and more dangerous in every facet of the game and should never be missing a touch to get Gunner another chance to screw us

I have finally figured out what he could have done that would have been worse… if he grabbed it like he did, then tossed it back in bounds for a Cleveland player to recover… that would have been worse…

I’m guessing he thought the ball was going to land inbounds and then it was too late and he had too much momentum when he fielded it.

I remember when I believe Dante Hall touched out of bounds then the ball to get the ball at the 35 yard line and I think Ty Montgomery did the same thing. Those players used their knowledge of the game to take advantage and give their teams good field position. Gunner literally toe tapped a ball going out of bounds. It might have been the stupidest play I have ever seen. Cut him. Put him on the PS if you like but cut his *** off the 53 man.

Let me restate my original stance for cutting him last year with some updated stats

Gunner is in his fifth year now. He has 74 career punt returns, 40 career Kickoff returns, 15 receptions and 14 rushing attempts. That is 143 touches in his career… in those 143 touches, he has scored 2 tds… but he has now fumbled 8 times…
Lets put that into perspective… people bitched that JuJu fumbled too much… he is in his 7th season and also has 8 fumbles…but he has 423 touches over those 7 years…

Gunner fumbles once per 17 touches…. It’s absurd

We literally have no one besides CA3 who can return punts. Sign Anthony Miller. He can return punts.

It was quite possibly the dumbest play I have ever seen live. A high school rookie knows better than to do that.