• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Minkah

pittbull

Contributor
Reaction score
Watching live I…of course…didn’t see the hit, and quite honestly I had no intention of looking for hit. I don’t like seeing that stuff, but I’ve now inadvertently saw the still photo. As it happened the announcer…was it Troy?…his tone changed, he made a comment about Minkah going low, then oddly seem to me to avoid talking about Minkah the rest of the night. Even when he hustled and stopped Ford shy of the goal line, the announcers did nothing more than mention Minkah made the tackle. Are you kidding me? It was an incredible effort from an All Pro, and they didn’t even talk about his effort. At that point I suspected they must have thought his hit was dirty.

This is getting talked about now. Ryan Clark…rightly…is defending the hit. But there is an article on the homepage about Christ Simms calling it dirty. Such BS. Like Clark points out…you can’t go high, you’re trying to stop of a stud running back capable of carrying linemen on his back, and now defenses are going to be called dirty when they go low. BS

Watching live I…of course…didn’t see the hit, and quite honestly I had no intention of looking for hit. I don’t like seeing that stuff, but I’ve now inadvertently saw the still photo. As it happened the announcer…was it Troy?…his tone changed, he made a comment about Minkah going low, then oddly seem to me to avoid talking about Minkah the rest of the night. Even when he hustled and stopped Ford shy of the goal line, the announcers did nothing more than mention Minkah made the tackle. Are you kidding me? It was an incredible effort from an All Pro, and they didn’t even talk about his effort. At that point I suspected they must have thought his hit was dirty.

This is getting talked about now. Ryan Clark…rightly…is defending the hit. But there is an article on the homepage about Christ Simms calling it dirty. Such BS. Like Clark points out…you can’t go high, you’re trying to stop of a stud running back capable of carrying linemen on his back, and now defenses are going to be called dirty when they go low. BS
Every defensive back I’ve seen comment has defended Minkah, including ex Browns ones…
Going low is tge accepted way to stop a big back… most back’s really… probably the reason why they don’t last long in the nfl… if their leg is planted wrong this is always a possibility … the issue is once you’re committed to the hit you don’t have time to adjust because he is held up or anything…

If you cant tackle low and you can’t tackle high then what do you do? Sneeze him down?

It was an unfortunate accident, but in this culture someone has to get blamed

I forget who mentioned it, might have been RC, but years back when they started cracking down on the helmet-to-helmet hits they said this will ultimately cause more lower body leg/knee injuries and be counterproductive. Well... he was right. I understand the concern for safety but this is a violent sport. I would say the only way to really protect players is by improving the equipment. But the NFL takes the highest bidder and not the best and more innovative equipment. I honestly feel like a soft shell on a helmet would stop most concussions. They wear those big *** padded covers in camp so what would happen if you made a helmet that had a gel outer layer to absorb and distribute the impact outward and not inward. But instead they make it easier for refs to decide the game. Almost like it is on purpose....

No one is showing the replay. I missed the play as well but many are calling it dirty and many are calling it not dirty. Everyone knew when they put the rule in about going anywhere remotely near the head, more low tackles would occur. And, for a smaller S or CB or even ILB to bring down a big back like Chubb, you have to go low. You can't look at a still picture or even a slow motion of a split-second reaction play and say it's dirty. I would still like to see the replay from the "bad" angle of the replay but it seems ESPN/ABC have locked it down. It was a football play, period, and unfortunately, Chubb got hurt.

Going low on a big back is nothing new. I didn't see the replay, but i don't think it was a dirty hit and Minkah ended up getting hurt as well. It was just a unfortunate unlucky injury

When they eliminated high hits. Defensive players warned that knees were going to get blown out. What are these guys supposed to do?

The injury wasn’t intentional. Minkah put himself in position to take down a brute.

It’s a violent/collision game. Injuries happen. They’ve always happened. Why is the media and general audience pearl clutching now?

Going low on a big back is nothing new. I didn't see the replay, but i don't think it was a dirty hit and Minkah ended up getting hurt as well. It was just a unfortunate unlucky injury
Minkah is getting a $50. fine from the league. Now, we all know Minkah is an honorable guy so, he'll just pay the $50. and put this all behind him. He will thusly retain the respect of his fellow players.

I think all the kneejerk reactions (no pun intended) are coming from the Browns fans, and I suppose that's understandable.

I only hope it doesn't cause the league office to issue something stupid in response as an appeasement.

I think all the kneejerk reactions (no pun intended) are coming from the Browns fans, and I suppose that's understandable.

I only hope it doesn't cause the league office to issue something stupid in response as an appeasement.
A good appeasement for the poor wretched stains fans would be relocating the entire franchise to Baltimore in return for the purple stains entire franchise.

I don’t see how they can.. there isn’t even a borderline rule they can exploit to fine or suspend him like they did to Harrison back in the day… that would not hold up to arbitration… its totally legal…

Now a new dumb rule… that is always on tap…

A good appeasement for the poor wretched stains fans would be relocating the entire franchise to Baltimore in return for the purple stains entire franchise.

Meh if I were commish, i’d force them to change their logo to the poop emoji and their mascot to sexual harassment panda… thats what they deserve…

t*mmyb*y isn't even in football, yet someone will get finned if they hit him............................................................?

RB are replaceable and low on the safety ladder. Nothing will happen and Chris Simms is a ****-ing chicken-**** ***-hole.

Salute the nation

If any of you think that this type of tackling is a result of the helmet to helmet rules then you obviously haven't watched football that long. These type of tackles have been a part of the game since the 90's when I first started to notice them ala Deion Sanders and others who simply can't tackle. Yes football is a violent game but this is a dirty play and I don't care what you think. Taking out any players knees to take him down is garbage if you ask me and I can't stand seeing it happen on my team or any other team for that matter.

by the current standards the hit was legal and fine but this type of tackling technique should have been eliminated a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago on all Levels of play. I would rather see the runner score than his career ended by a tackle that he had no defense for. I don't post anymore and im sure I will get roasted for what I said but it was a bull **** tackle and it should be outlawed. PERIOD!

If a tackle can potentially end a players career in one fell swoop then I think it should be considered dangerous and illegal. There are enough ways to get injured in football and eliminating this type of tackle is a long time coming. Just my .02!

If any of you think that this type of tackling is a result of the helmet to helmet rules then you obviously haven't watched football that long. These type of tackles have been a part of the game since the 90's when I first started to notice them ala Deion Sanders and others who simply can't tackle. Yes football is a violent game but this is a dirty play and I don't care what you think. Taking out any players knees to take him down is garbage if you ask me and I can't stand seeing it happen on my team or any other team for that matter.

by the current standards the hit was legal and fine but this type of tackling technique should have been eliminated a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago on all Levels of play. I would rather see the runner score than his career ended by a tackle that he had no defense for. I don't post anymore and im sure I will get roasted for what I said but it was a bull **** tackle and it should be outlawed. PERIOD!

If a tackle can potentially end a players career in one fell swoop then I think it should be considered dangerous and illegal. There are enough ways to get injured in football and eliminating this type of tackle is a long time coming. Just my .02!

Every single tackle is dangerous and guys will have non contact injuries end their careers too… part of the allure of tackle football is the physical nature of it.. and that is inherently dangerous.
There is a reason they haven’t gone to flag football yet.. it simply isn’t as popular…

They banned going at qbs knees because they are typically stationary and planted. (and because Brady and the Pats whined a bunch)
Tgey banned the facemask tackle because they can cause more severe injuries. Helmet to helmet causes brain damage, the horsecollar has a huge percentage of injuries from it…

Going at players knees happens dozens of times per game and has a low % of severe injuries despite that… blockers do it… tacklers do it… it’s happening quite often…

At some point you have to draw the line and say that the trade off for playing a dangerous game is the insane compensation that they make… remember even at minimum nfl wage, these guys make more in 2 years than the average american makes in a lifetime…

Cut out tackling altogether, and people watch less, networks pay less, and players make less…. Ask them if they will trade their millions for that rule…

I hope I'm the first to respond to your comment.

I'll ask you, "have you ever played tackle football?" What level?

Let me tell you a true story...

Tackle football has been around for over 100 years. Athletes have gotten bigger, faster and stronger each year. Fact.

Those of us who have played and coached at a high level understand that helmet to helmet tackles are outlawed and that type of tackle would severely injure the smaller player in this specific scenario.

Another question...

Do you think Minkah had time to assess if Nick's leg/foot was planted before/during his launch to take down one of the best RBs in the NFL???

Or...since you're sharing your two pennies for your thoughts...should Minkah have rolled out a red carpet and let Nick moozy into the end zone???

Go ahead and let that marinate. I'll be. No. Well be waiting to hear your .98 cent response...

One more thing...

Tell us your opinion on Haloti Ngata. You do remember him breaking Ben's nose, right???

How many talking heads called that play dirty??? Where was Chris Simms then??? The answers are "not phucking one" and "he said nothing".

Now get back to your above homework assignment...

No one is showing the replay. I missed the play as well but many are calling it dirty and many are calling it not dirty. Everyone knew when they put the rule in about going anywhere remotely near the head, more low tackles would occur. And, for a smaller S or CB or even ILB to bring down a big back like Chubb, you have to go low. You can't look at a still picture or even a slow motion of a split-second reaction play and say it's dirty. I would still like to see the replay from the "bad" angle of the replay but it seems ESPN/ABC have locked it down. It was a football play, period, and unfortunately, Chubb got hurt.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230920-050036_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230920-050036_Facebook.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 5
It was a ****** tackle but one that is and has been routine for as long as I've watched football. Knife his legs out. We all saw some of the other attempts to get Chubb down. If the other guy hadn't jumped on his back just as Minkah launched we are not talking about this.

I'll ask you, "have you ever played tackle football?" What level?

Let me tell you a true story...

Tackle football has been around for over 100 years. Athletes have gotten bigger, faster and stronger each year. Fact.

Those of us who have played and coached at a high level understand that helmet to helmet tackles are outlawed and that type of tackle would severely injure the smaller player in this specific scenario.

Another question...

Do you think Minkah had time to assess if Nick's leg/foot was planted before/during his launch to take down one of the best RBs in the NFL???

Or...since you're sharing your two pennies for your thoughts...should Minkah have rolled out a red carpet and let Nick moozy into the end zone???

Go ahead and let that marinate. I'll be. No. Well be waiting to hear your .98 cent response...

What is your point genius??? What does having played at a HIGH level have to do with anything?? Yeah I played Football long enough to know that there are risks with getting injured at any time. Still what in the hell does this have to do with my opinion?? If you don't think Its a dangerous way/technique of tackling then your obviously mistaken. Its unfortunate what happened to Chubb if you dont think so i don't know what to say! If you think this type of tackling has always existed like it does today I would be interested to watch some of the games from the 80's and before and I would venture to say that it wasn't as common as it is today and possibly say it didn't really exist. This started to become popular in the 90's and aside from the helmet to helmet I think its one of the more dangerous types of tackling in the game currently. Minkah was going to hit Chubb below the knee regardless of all the other factors that contributed to the injury but thats where he was aiming and thats where he hit. Its not his fault and im not mad at him its part of the game but for me a part of the game that if it were eliminated I could care less. It would make the game more exciting anyway and probably help the Steelers actually have a running game. Just because its part of the game doesn't mean it a good part of it. If it were a Steeler you would likely have a completely different POV. But maybe not. I don't agree with how QB's are so protected and other positions not as much. They have taken that too far IMHO. However some things they haven't done anything about and I honestly think this is one of them that could be eliminated and it wouldn't affect the game and would only make it more exciting. Like I said just my .02 cents!

allow me to retort, if I may.

The Rog and the NFL Safety Committee saw the rise in CTE and buckled to public and social media pressure back in 2017-2018 to change the rules of tackling.

Troy had a huge issue with it. Other players did as well. Some went on to say that taking a knee out is akin to ending a career. Which is true. Yes, concussions can also end a career and can also lead to debilitating problems later in life.

There are a variety of solutions to these:

1) all offensive players wear skirts (taking from Jack Lambert's QB comments in the 70s)
2) all offensive players are given two flags to wear at their waist
3) squeamish are not allowed to watch

Of the three, I feel that the third is the best option going forward. Players are paid rather ******* well for their times and efforts, entering into a profession that can make them rich and harm them later in life or make them rich and harm them now. "That will never happen to me" is the mindset of just about every player out there. Even after the Ryan Shazier tackle. Or Damar Hamlin. Or Daryl Stingley. Or Dennis Byrd. Or Baker Mayfield. Ok, Mayfield doesn't have a debilitating injury - just a ******* moron like Gunner.

Point is, these guys are 100% aware of the dangers they face every time they show up to the stadium. That the NFL changes the way they tackle instead of reacting to making a tackle, is going to cause even more injuries. Troy said as much.

As far as tackling in the 90s, yeah, players had to go low ... since that is what is taught in pee wee ball. You don't want to try to tackle a Christian Okoye, Jamal Lewis, Jerome Bettis, Mike Alstott or any other of the famed 90s big backs by going high. It wouldnt work.

As for QBs being protected - Minkah had a hanky thrown for a textbook tackle.
Meanwhile, this was deemed ok.

The only solution to this that you are offering is only allowing one player to touch another at the same time and only at the chest. I am not sure what you are wanting. If you can’t go high this is the ONLY option on plays like this. He didn’t aim at the knee he aimed at the legs, positions changed as he was in motion.