• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Multiple TE sets

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Formations and personnel groupings could get pretty interesting considering Haley's propensity to employ multiple TE sets and our apparent lack of depth at the position. With Green on PUP for who knows how long having James, Whiff and Grimble as the primaries doesn't inspire a ton of confidence for me when we dig into that portion of the playbook.

Do we slap Villy into a eligible OL to the left of Harris (playing LT in this set)? I think I'd rather see this than Whiff or Grimble.

Do we just stay in more standard D Will, Nix, James, AB and Wheaton as the base swapping out Nix for a slot WR?

Or do we finally just hand the reigns fully to Ben to go no huddle with the 3-4 WR sets and see what speed we can get this O up to?

Should be interesting to see if Haley can adapt his philosophy to make the most out of what could be a very dangerous unit.
Would love to see a move to upgrade from Grimble, don't see Whiff going anywhere this season

First we'd need multiple TE's that could make a difference for that look.

Maybe next draft

4-5 WIDE, all the way! - our strength is Ben and his WR's (especially with Bell missing for 3 games) - a complete no-brainer

Nix should see a heavy load of snaps next to Ben in the 3WR sets + Bell as an option runner/receiver

Formations and personnel groupings could get pretty interesting considering Haley's propensity to employ multiple TE sets and our apparent lack of depth at the position. With Green on PUP for who knows how long having James, Whiff and Grimble as the primaries doesn't inspire a ton of confidence for me when we dig into that portion of the playbook.

Do we slap Villy into a eligible OL to the left of Harris (playing LT in this set)? I think I'd rather see this than Whiff or Grimble.

Do we just stay in more standard D Will, Nix, James, AB and Wheaton as the base swapping out Nix for a slot WR?

Or do we finally just hand the reigns fully to Ben to go no huddle with the 3-4 WR sets and see what speed we can get this O up to?

Should be interesting to see if Haley can adapt his philosophy to make the most out of what could be a very dangerous unit.
Would love to see a move to upgrade from Grimble, don't see Whiff going anywhere this season

I think we end up using a lot of 3 WR sets and in short yardage or goal line I bet we do bring in Harris at LT and Villanueva as a TE or extra tackle.Whiff probably makes the game day active because he can play FB, TE and special teams so he can back up a few spots.

After barely using Johnson, and then getting rid of him in favor of Nix. It seems they really like Nix. Maybe they use him in these sets .

As far as bell missing. I don't forsee much of a drop off in production from D Will, especially in the receiving .

My vote is definitely to spread em out in no huddle to get some nice leads then grind away the game with more Nix late.

I'd love to see Ben get 3WR, James and D Will in hurry up and watch em light it up!

Also interested to see the Bell and D Will 2 back set out there I've been hearing about (waiting on you Bell)

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!

I think we end up using a lot of 3 WR sets and in short yardage or goal line I bet we do bring in Harris at LT and Villanueva as a TE or extra tackle.Whiff probably makes the game day active because he can play FB, TE and special teams so he can back up a few spots.

Agree, damn Whiff and his versatility.

Seems all here pretty much agree with the spread em out and give Ben the wheel, hope Haley sees the value in this as well.

The steelers at times used their 2 TE set for play action or to go deep. This year our TEs are very weak.

Seems all here pretty much agree with the spread em out and give Ben the wheel, hope Haley sees the value in this as well.

I think 3 wide, 1 TE and a Rb and Nix once he's healthy will be used more often this year. Nix can run or pass block.

Nix should see a heavy load of snaps next to Ben in the 3WR sets + Bell as an option runner/receiver

Not this game Litos...sorry. LOL, no Bell or Nix

That idea of a tackle eligible is pure genius...I think he has spent some time at WR in college.

Not this game Litos...sorry. LOL, no Bell or Nix

That idea of a tackle eligible is pure genius...I think he has spent some time at WR in college.

Yes, too bad for Nix. Really like his hustle

I'm with Coach here. I don't see multiple TE sets unless one of our lineman line up as eligible receivers.