• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

My Favorite Steeler game of all time.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Of course any SB win is first. But this game had it all. Drama galore.
After Joey Porter's 4th down sack on Peyton Manning] "Call up the travel agent, make the reservations, we are off to Denver."
"For all of you fantasy football players out there who have Jerome, you have to be pretty excited right about now." (Bill Hillgrove) "Wouldn't it be something if he got his second touchdown of the game. [ball is snapped] Here's the give to Jerome, the ball is..."[Bettis fumbles at this point, with Harper's recovery] (Ilkin) "Fumble, FUMBLE, HE PICKED IT UP, OH NO! OH MY GOSH!" (Hillgrove) "NICK HARPER HAS IT..." (Ilkin) "OH MY GOSH, SOMEBODY'S GOTTA TACKLE HIM!" [Roethlisberger makes the tackle on Harper] (Hillgrove) "Jerome Bettis, who rarely fumbles, fumbles at the goal line, Nick Harper picks it up, and the Colts are still alive with 1:09 to go!" (Ilkin) "Oh my Gosh. Oh my gosh, all you got to do is fall on the ball. What a turn of events. Okay, you've got 1:09 left, the Colts got the ball on the 42 yard line. The game is not over, cancel the reservations to Denver. We got finish this one out here. Unbelieveable!"
Hillgrove) "Here's the snap, the kick is on its way. It's high enough..." (Hillgrove & Ilkin) "NO GOOD!" (Hillgrove) "IT'S NO GOOD!" (Ilkin) "OH MAN!" (Hillgrove) "It's no good!" (Ilkin) "CALL UP THE TRAVEL AGENT, REMAKE THOSE RESERVATIONS. WE ARE OFF TO DENVER."

Outside of the superbowls which those 70's teams engraved themselves in my soul. I can't tell you how many times I recreated Swann and Stallworth catches with my nerf football in the yard

I did go batshit for XL. That was a long long time coming. One of the most revved up games this fan has ever had. It was 24+years waiting for that One For The Thumb.
One of the few times I've drank, but it was at a Steeler bar with 100% Steeler fans. I did end up standing on a table screaming when Fast Willie Parker hit that 75 yard TD run.

I suppose the snow game earlier in that season vs Chicago sticks out. The Bus had himself a day and would not be denied.

That game was football art in its purest form.

to many to choose from. But the Denver Playoff game in 2005 was awesome. Troy was in his prime. Ben was in his prime. as a Steeler fan you know you had several years of Steeler dominance. great game

If not SB43, it’s gotta be 2008 AFCC game vs Ratbirds. 16-14, under 5 to go, and Troy P rips a pick six outta the sky and points to his new born in the stands.
( chef’s kiss )

If not SB43, it’s gotta be 2008 AFCC game vs Ratbirds. 16-14, under 5 to go, and Troy P rips a pick six outta the sky and points to his new born in the stands.
( chef’s kiss )
Can you imagine if you were there? You could feel the rumble all the way to the west coast of Canada.
I’ve never heard the stadium roar as loud as the Troy Pick.

I'll 2nd the 2008 AFCCG against the Ravens. One of hardest hitting games I've ever seen. It was literally a war when these two teams met back then.
And one of the sweetest victories ever for the Steelers.

Back when we had a Rooney that gave a crap about this franchise winning a Super Bowl.

to many to choose from. But the Denver Playoff game in 2005 was awesome. Troy was in his prime. Ben was in his prime. as a Steeler fan you know you had several years of Steeler dominance. great game
Same

so many to chose from, of course Super Bowl's come first, being born in 78, i saw none of the 70's just all the QB's between then and Ben, so Super Bowl XL was amazing, finally seeing them win a Super Bowl.
The Colts game in the playoffs that year was right there, probably because we got crushed there early in the season, no one was giving us a chance to win that game, hell even I was doubting our chances to go into that stadium and win that game.

Can you imagine if you were there? You could feel the rumble all the way to the west coast of Canada.
I’ve never heard the stadium roar as loud as the Troy Pick.
I may have given my newborn for auction to be there.

I suppose the snow game earlier in that season vs Chicago sticks out. The Bus had himself a day and would not be denied.

That game was football art in its purest form.
This game definitely stands out as at least a “Bus,” favorite!!!!

If I recall, he had 101 yrds all in second half. The display of his versatility! From the long, nimble run down the field in slick conditions, to absolutely demolishing n demoralizing Urlacher on the way to the end zone. That game propelled them on that unforgettable run!!!

( chef’s kiss )
I still regret not being there!!! Just got divorced and had the freedom to do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Took the long trip out from Long Island, NY, through a blizzard, the week before, for the Charger game. Got home and immediately looked and found that reasonably priced tix were available for AFC championship game. The friends I went to Charger game with would not go, out of fear of facing a 7 hr drive after a loss. Wasn’t going solo! I should have just gone alone and then completed the run at the SB, even if I emptied out my bank account!!! No wife, no kids, should have been a no brainer!!!!

Dumb dumb dumb of me!!!

…and had been out just a few weeks earlier for that awesome win against the Cowboys!!! What a year!!!

I still regret not being there!!! Just got divorced and had the freedom to do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Took the long trip out from Long Island, NY, through a blizzard, the week before, for the Charger game. Got home and immediately looked and found that reasonably priced tix were available for AFC championship game. The friends I went to Charger game with would not go, out of fear of facing a 7 hr drive after a loss. Wasn’t going solo! I should have just gone alone and then completed the run at the SB, even if I emptied out my bank account!!! No wife, no kids, should have been a no brainer!!!!

Dumb dumb dumb of me!!!
I belonged to a small club in So Cal at the time. One dude there sent his wife to every playoff game that year. They couldn't afford SB tickets, so she sat with us.

The 2008 AFCCG is memorable because it was an incredible game and Troy's INT to seal it as he crossed the goal line I remember that precise moment when you realize your going the Super Bowl. It doesn't get any better than that!

All time I'd hafta say the 1074 AFCCG vs the Raiders in Oakland. That game preceeded the Dolphins vs Raiders the week before that ended in the Sea of Hands play. Madden was quoted as saying in the Post Game when the two best teams in the NFL play each other great things are going to happen.

That was the beginning of a Pro Football Dynasty and the Steelers never looked back!

Steel Brigade? I was part of that group as well.
No, but I did interact with them. This one was about 12 if us who met at a dude's house. No name, just a bunch of us.

The 2008 AFCCG is memorable because it was an incredible game and Troy's INT to seal it as he crossed the goal line I remember that precise moment when you realize your going the Super Bowl. It doesn't get any better than that!

All time I'd hafta say the 1074 AFCCG vs the Raiders in Oakland. That game preceeded the Dolphins vs Raiders the week before that ended in the Sea of Hands play. Madden was quoted as saying in the Post Game when the two best teams in the NFL play each other great things are going to happen.

That was the beginning of a Pro Football Dynasty and the Steelers never looked back!
1074? Wow!

These are all great games and I have a few favorites.. One was a game I attended, the 1995 AFC Championship game. It was the year following the "nightmare" game vs. San Diego where they upset us in a huge way. So we, collectively, were smarting still from that game. And once again, we were at home, for the conference championship game as heavy favorites, against a really beat up Colts team and it appeared as though it happened again: a disastrous upset in the making down to the last play of the game.

Our seats were in that endzone of the last play and all we saw was the Colt player stand up with the ball and act like he caught the go-ahead TD. We, and the other 60,000 people, were stunned into silence. It took what seemed like minutes to figure out the Colt WR didn't catch the ball, and then the entire stadium erupted with pure joy, it was like we had won a world war and it was over. Total strangers hugging everywhere you looked and walked.

Another somewhat odd favorite was the 1989 playoff game, Noll's last postseason win. Season started off horridly losing huge to the Browns and we ended up winning in a wildcard game in Houston over a very talented Houston team. That was the team Cowher inherited and took off with a big bang his first year: Woodson, Lloyd, Lake - some great players.

Last edited:
SB XLIII.
Close second, SB XIII.

Super Bowl X. It has my favorite play when Jack Lambert slammed Cliff Harris. It cemented the tone for what it meant to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. An added bonus - It was against the Cryboys!