• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL things and thoughts, pre wk4

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Put the things that are going on that dont need a new thread in here:

1. TJ needs to be wrapped in bubbletape... he is the last if the DPOY caliber pas rushers not injured...
-Max Crosby and Micah Parsons are both hurt and may even miss our upcoming games with their teams
- Garrett has be fighting multiple big injuries and talk of him going on IR is out here

2. Flores down in Minnesota is running a DLB type straight 3/4 zone blitz. ...I can only wonder where he learned that? Lol
While plays and aspects of that D are widespread now, its not really run all the time anymore... but as teams move back to the run first O's and new breed QBs arent used to all the disguises and stunts, it seems to be effective again...

3. Defense is back in the NFL.. video game offenses have been thwarted by modern Defensive schemes and techniques.
I can only imagine what the League will do to combat this... the media is talking about two extremes in particular i dislike... one is the trendy idea to adopt the nba style " illegal d formation rule" and get rid of 2 high safeties, the other is allowing offensive holding inside the hashes..

Both would be dumb

4. Coaching talk made me do some breakdowns this week.. For the record, Mike Tomlin is currently 12th all time on the wins list with 176 wins.. thats the most for any coach with less than 20 years coaching...
Chuck Knox is at 186, and Dan Reeves (why isnt this guy in the HOF?) is at 190... its improbable Tomlin catches either of them this season, but should pass both for a spot in the top 10 next year..
if he wins ten this year and ten next, he would be tied with Chuck Noll at 193 wins... and seven back of Marty Shottenheimer for 8th all time
The thing is, the guy is 52... thats 8 years younger than any coach within a hundred wins of him... literally .... McDermott is 50... he has 76 wins... Mcartly has 169 wins, but he is 60... Harbaugh 161 but is 62...
the point is that Tomlin is just reaching the age most coaches start figuring things out better.. so maybe some of his flaws get corrected... if he wanted to, he could probably coach another 20 years and become the winningest coach of all time( at leadt in the regular season 🤣)

Put the things that are going on that dont need a new thread in here:

1. TJ needs to be wrapped in bubbletape... he is the last if the DPOY caliber pas rushers not injured...
-Max Crosby and Micah Parsons are both hurt and may even miss our upcoming games with their teams
- Garrett has be fighting multiple big injuries and talk of him going on IR is out here

2. Flores down in Minnesota is running a DLB type straight 3/4 zone blitz. ...I can only wonder where he learned that? Lol
While plays and aspects of that D are widespread now, its not really run all the time anymore... but as teams move back to the run first O's and new breed QBs arent used to all the disguises and stunts, it seems to be effective again...

3. Defense is back in the NFL.. video game offenses have been thwarted by modern Defensive schemes and techniques.
I can only imagine what the League will do to combat this... the media is talking about two extremes in particular i dislike... one is the trendy idea to adopt the nba style " illegal d formation rule" and get rid of 2 high safeties, the other is allowing offensive holding inside the hashes..

Both would be dumb

4. Coaching talk made me do some breakdowns this week.. For the record, Mike Tomlin is currently 12th all time on the wins list with 176 wins.. thats the most for any coach with less than 20 years coaching...
Chuck Knox is at 186, and Dan Reeves (why isnt this guy in the HOF?) is at 190... its improbable Tomlin catches either of them this season, but should pass both for a spot in the top 10 next year..
if he wins ten this year and ten next, he would be tied with Chuck Noll at 193 wins... and seven back of Marty Shottenheimer for 8th all time
The thing is, the guy is 52... thats 8 years younger than any coach within a hundred wins of him... literally .... McDermott is 50... he has 76 wins... Mcartly has 169 wins, but he is 60... Harbaugh 161 but is 62...
the point is that Tomlin is just reaching the age most coaches start figuring things out better.. so maybe some of his flaws get corrected... if he wanted to, he could probably coach another 20 years and become the winningest coach of all time( at leadt in the regular season 🤣)
I read the earlier report on the helmet swinger, I believe that last one said he was a full participant in practice…

Andy Reid at 261 is still active. A lot of coaches got their win totals up by coaching for a lot of years. Here are their averages per year

Wins per season:
1) Shula just under 10 (by 2 games)
2) Halas just under 8 (by 0.5%)
3) Bellicheck 10.4
4) Landry 8.6
5) Reid at 10/yr and this year isn't over
6) Lambeau 6.8
7) Paul Brown 8.5
8) Shotty 9.5
9) Noll 8.4
10) Reeves 8.3 (Agree should be a HOFer)
11) Knox 8.45
12) Tomlin 9.8 and still coaching this season. 4 more wins and he's at 10/season

That 10wins a year line is difficult to hit. Shula just missed it. Bellicheck and Reid have it, and Tomlin should have it this year as well. So another reason why Tomlin is so good at winning in the NFL, and he doesn't look like he's ready to slow down any time soon.

Nice post Madinsomniac. I am disgusted with the defense propositions that are out there. We could easily have another all time legendary defensive player in league history like LT, Lott, or White. But the league won’t allow it with **** like this. Hell, Debo or Watt could’ve been but thanks to fantasy football and pandering to people who don’t understand the purity and beauty of defensive football they were screwed over. ******’ league……

Defense still wins championships. But the NFL does everything to change that narrative.