• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

No problem naming starting QB, what about LT ?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin drives me nuts about some of his bravodo-like speak. He can nam,e a starting QB well before it's time to, but can't say a thing about LT.

Personally, I think he needs to just shut up about some of these glarring to early needs.

My biggest concern with him is he plays so many players out of position, yet thinks it's a strength of his...... finding the diamond sort of way.

Keeping players playing their career strength would seem a much better fit.

Article is about keeping the moved up for 1st round LT that is now a RT, at the same position.

Article is from HOME page here at STEELERNATION.COM

good read

Salute the nation

I think they are going into the season with the understanding that T won't change unless a lower pick dictates the move.

IMO they are making a mistake @WR and C not addressing the position in free agency up to this point.

You really don't want to have to put all your eggs into a basket swaying away from BPA. For now that looks like their approach.

Tomlin drives me nuts about some of his bravodo-like speak. He can nam,e a starting QB well before it's time to, but can't say a thing about LT.

Personally, I think he needs to just shut up about some of these glarring to early needs.

My biggest concern with him is he plays so many players out of position, yet thinks it's a strength of his...... finding the diamond sort of way.

Article is about keeping the moved up for 1st round LT that is now a RT, at the same position.

good read

Salute the nation
It goes back to ego and saving face: the source of much of our problems. They drafted Moore in the 4th round and missed. He is NOT a starting LT in this league, he's at the bottom of the LT list every single year.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-tackle-rankings-2023-nfl-season

He hasn't even moved up the list from what I can tell, he remains on the bottom of starting LTs. Then they do draft a legit LT prospect last year and play him at RT. Jones is a LT, it's what he was drafted as, it's what he is, it's where he should play. But Tomlin and the Steelers love moving players around, like they live for it. Jones should be "penned" in at LT right now. Moore should be the backup, period, end of story. They should draft a RT this year. End of story.

Shades inexplicable strong desire to move players from their college spots is insane. Is it to prove how smart he is? Perhaps, but it's not working. The Greens and Leals outweigh any time he has been proven wise is doing it. He looks like a damn fool.

Until shades is out of here I simply cannot entertain any thoughts about being serious contenders.
His ceiling is what we’ve been witnessing the last dozen plus years. Cannot and is incapable of building a contending roster. He’s a mediocre coach and the results continue to prove it. You see the roster he’s responsible for every season and it’s the same wash,rinse,repeat.
Don’t get too excited for this season. I’m not! I see another 9-8, maybe 10-7 season maybe backing into the playoffs only to be embarrassed.
Just have lost any confidence in this guy and simply don’t trust him to lead us to success.

We got 10 wins with Trash QB play thanks to Mason. How you figure we lose crappy QB AND ALSO ONE MORE GAME ???

Because of "POSITION FLEXIBILITY", when the punter lines up to play QB......... you will have your answer.

Salute the nation

We got 10 wins with Trash QB play thanks to Mason. How you figure we lose crappy QB AND ALSO ONE MORE GAME ???
The schedule is significantly tougher this year, at least on paper, I think we have the 3rd toughest.

At home: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers, New York Giants and the New York Jets. I'll say 5-3. KC, LAC and Dallas all pretty tough.

On the road: Baltimore, Cincinnati and Cleveland, Atlanta Falcons, Denver Broncos, Indianapolis Colts, Las Vegas Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Commanders. 4-5.

9-8 with Mediocre Mike! But his non-losing streak continues, woooooo whoooooo!

In the end you have to put best line you can in front of Russ. Even if that means you have a lesser LT because he can play better at Left then right. Besides there is more than TJ that plays front side of edge. Typically against the right Tackle. Watt prefers because he landmarks hip and its pretty damn hard to beat him. Then he tackles the ball out.

And who in the hell do you think that we signed as our new QB’s? Joe Burrow, Pat Mahomes, no wait, Josh Allen.
Jeez man we signed a 35 year old QB that had been sacked 100 times the last two seasons in Denver. They’re paying him 38 mill to not be there for heavens sake.
Then theres young Justin who was sacked less than ol Russ with 99 sacks the past two seasons and like Russ a whole lot of fumbles.
Lots of potential but as the man said, potential gets guys fired.
So you’re saying with these two ten wins is a lock?
Good luck with that thinking! We shall see!

And who in the hell do you think that we signed as our new QB’s? Joe Burrow, Pat Mahomes, no wait, Josh Allen.
Jeez man we signed a 35 year old QB that had been sacked 100 times the last two seasons in Denver. They’re paying him 38 mill to not be there for heavens sake.
Then theres young Justin who was sacked less than ol Russ with 99 sacks the past two seasons and like Russ a whole lot of fumbles.
Lots of potential but as the man said, potential gets guys fired.
So you’re saying with these two ten wins is a lock?
The interesting part comes if 2024 ends with no playoff wins, what's Art do next?

The interesting part comes if 2024 ends with no playoff wins, what's Art do next?
Yep! That thought has most definitely crossed my mind as I’m sure it has many others on this board.
All the more reason to not offer Tomlin an extension since they hold an option on his contract in 25.
Or if you are intent on signing him make it only two years that way if we flop in 24 with two years left on the contract, have Omar begin gauging trade interest for the greatest coach ever.

If I had to guess, the Steelers acquire a veteran center prior to the draft and take the best available CB or RT in the first. If the Georgia or Alabama tackle is there, he could very well be the pick. That would push Jones back to left tackle. Hit WR hard in the middle rounds and build your offense for Justin Fields in 2025 (and maybe beyond).

If I had to guess, the Steelers acquire a veteran center prior to the draft and take the best available CB or RT in the first. If the Georgia or Alabama tackle is there, he could very well be the pick. That would push Jones back to left tackle. Hit WR hard in the middle rounds and build your offense for Justin Fields in 2025 (and maybe beyond).
I'm having flashbacks of Kordell and how Tomlin is already falling in love with Fields. I can see a day where fields running ability makes Tomlin drool but with his lack of a real passing attack killing the team when it matters most, ala Lamar in Balt. It would be soooooooooo Tomlin to fall in love with a QB's athletic rushing ability but to fail on the big picture. Sooooooooo Tomlin, such a dunce. A Fields'/Tomlin partnership could doom us for another 5 years.

Jeez man we signed a 35 year old QB that had been
I think I'll trust Russ over you...

"In Russ we Trust".....

I think I'll trust Russ over you...

"In Russ we Trust".....

It’s going to be an exciting year. Can Russ hold of the Tomlin love of the rushing Fields?

I see Russ being effective enough to keep the Fields on the bench. Should Russ get hurt and Miss much time, he will not regain his starting role (just a hunch).

Salute the nation

good read

Salute the nation
I was talking about the same thing at work today. When the strange from Shades leaves, maybe.

Omar will have to make a decision early. Seahawks, Cowboys, and Bengals have all been linked to JPJ from Oregon. Zach Frazier is now looking like a round 2 early pick. He may have to trade down to 15 to get Johnson and trade from 51 back down into the 40s for Frazier. Van-Pran Granger from Georgia might drop a bit to the 84 pick. My dream scenario is Amarius Mims with 20 and Zach Frazier with 51.