• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Players can include choice of coach in their contracts?

Stewey

Reaction score
I did not know that.

“I want to play for Mike T. It was huge in my contract talks that I don’t want to play for anyone other than Mike T. You guys see the way I talk about how much I respect and appreciate him as a coach, man and leader.” - TJ Watt
The guy (Tomlin) must have a silver tongue and I do agree he must be a great leader of men. Despite all the AB, Pickens, etc noise, his players always rally for him after an ugly streak and he never loses the locker room at the end.

If only he gets a spoonful of humble pie and hire coordinators that know what the hell they are doing and give them some sort of free reins, his teams would be real contenders and not just above average.

****, maybe all this storm ends up bringing a bright future where Coach T finally surrounds himself with the right crew and gets another SB (I know, I know, "drop the pipe and slowly walk back and away" )

Look----its obvious the teams leaders like Watt, Heyward, others really respect Tomlin as a coach and man..

You just don't hear that much in the NFL these days...this is a most favorable thing for an NFL team, that players are willing to run through a brick wall for a guy to help make him successful.

Tomlin obviously is not going anywhere ---I say....lets take advantage of that and get this team what it really needs RIGHT NOW! WHICH IS A QB!

Players like Watt and Heyward have limited shelf lives left in this league.

Our best bet to give us any shot at a championship in the next 1 to 3 seasons is to make a deal and sign Russell Wilson.

Make it happen Rooney, Omar, and Andy!

Mason Rudolph, LOL. Pass

So your rolling in to 2024 with Mason Rudolph as your stating QB?

Last edited:
Look----its obvious the teams leaders like Watt, Heyward, others really respect Tomlin as a coach and man..

You just don't hear that much in the NFL these days...this is a most favorable thing for an NFL team, that players are willing to run through a brick wall for a guy to help make him successful.

Tomlin obviously is not going anywhere ---I say....lets take advantage of that and get this team what it really needs RIGHT NOW! WHICH IS A QB!

Players like Watt and Heyward have limited shelf lives left in this league.

Our best bet to give us any shot at a championship in the next 1 to 3 seasons is to make a deal and sign Russell Wilson.

Make it happen Rooney, Omar, and Andy!
Your high as hell if you think Russell Wilson is the answer. He just had an epic fail in Denver, and you want to go down the Mitch Tribisky path AGAIN?

Mason Rudolph, LOL. Pass

So your rolling in to 2024 with Mason Rudolph as your stating QB?
At what point did he say that? Is your day job a position writing for some fake news outlet?

Your high as hell if you think Russell Wilson is the answer. He just had an epic fail in Denver, and you want to go down the Mitch Tribisky path AGAIN?
Being high is overrated...anyway...

My opinion is :
1. He wasn't a epic fail from a performance perspective... In fact, his stats were very good.
2. He was a casualty of a new Head Coach and leadership that did not want him there to begin with....not their guy so to speak.
3. He would open up that offense and I could almost guarantee, put our offense back to a very respectable position, that would move us from one and done team to one that could really challenge in the AFC.

My question to you is:

Would you rather make a play for Fields?

My opinion is :
1. He wasn't a epic fail from a performance perspective... In fact, his stats were very good.
2. He was a casualty of a new Head Coach and leadership that did not want him there to begin with....not their guy so to speak.
3. He would open up that offense and I could almost guarantee, put our offense back to a very respectable position, that would move us from one and done team to one that could really challenge in the AFC.

My question to you is:

Though the question wasn't directed at me I'll give my 2 cents:

I'd rather make a play on continue building the Oline, if KP isn't the answer we will know by the end of the year but the real franchise QB we go for, will have real protection to thrive.

I'd rather make a play on continue building the Oline, if KP isn't the answer we will know by the end of the year but the real franchise QB we go for, will have real protection to thrive.
Not sure I would hitch the wagon to the horse of wait and see. Think the competition idea is best and everyone knows I like Kenny by now. I just like winning more. So you fortify that position by hook or crook. They can still build the Online and Dline. They have two avenues to do that. As well as fortify QB.

To play devil's advocate to my own thought process it is a lot of needs for one off-season. QB,RT,C,WR,DE,CB.

Too many without attacking free agency and freeing up some money through cuts, etc...

I doubt there's anything in his contract about the coach. It sounds to me like he wanted assurance that Tomlin was staying before he signed to stay himself. Very similar to a high school kid picking a school based on the coach. See Alabama losing tons of guys in the portal after Saban left.

My opinion is :

My question to you is:

Fields? Mitch Tribisky2, *** NO. No to an over the hill Russell also, especially considering the price he will want.
I am more inclined to go with bringing back Rudy, Pickett, and a couple of current young non protected QB from some team. Then devote every resource to rebuilding BOTH lines with young players. Even a few less expensive vets would be nice too, but only those under 30. NO MORE HAS BEENS OR NEVER WAS players.

This coaching staff has shown 000000.0000% ability to develop a QB since Tomlin was hired. Hell, they couldn’t even recognize the fact that Rudy was the better option all the time. Tomlin is WAAAAAAAY to enamored with Draft position.

2024 will show if Rudy or KP is the guy going forward, if not then 25 is the year to go get another QB. The lines will have been addressed hope by then.

of course, that should have been the plan TWO FRICKEN YEARS AGO.

Thats right rebuild the dying engine in your ride before buying the flashy wheels and tires.

Your 2 cents is appreciated man..

That's an option...

But that's one less year and probably longer with Watt/Micah in their prime and probably Heyward retires after next season.

Watt will be a free agent in 2 years. and Tomlin will still be here. No to Wilson. If they are going to sign a outside QB my wish would be someone like Baker Mayfield.

Fields? Mitch Tribisky2, *** NO. No to an over the hill Russell also, especially considering the price he will want.
I am more inclined to go with bringing back Rudy, Pickett, and a couple of current young non protected QB from some team. Then devote every resource to rebuilding BOTH lines with young players. Even a few less expensive vets would be nice too, but only those under 30. NO MORE HAS BEENS OR NEVER WAS players.

This coaching staff has shown 000000.0000% ability to develop a QB since Tomlin was hired. Hell, they couldn’t even recognize the fact that Rudy was the better option all the time. Tomlin is WAAAAAAAY to enamored with Draft position.

2024 will show if Rudy or KP is the guy going forward, if not then 25 is the year to go get another QB. The lines will have been addressed hope by then.

I hear ya---That is part of my concern and why we should get the proven vet in here while the iron's hot with some of our best players...

Until we know who the new OC is, it's pointless to speculate on a QB.

I think Kirk Cousins is a FA now. I f his Achilles heals up he would be a great pickup

Dang straight, I think they took Kenny Picket on a “Cart in front of the horse” pick as for timely goes. We needed OL and still do as one of our main weaknesses to fill. It’s a offensive league and we lack offensive line men.

First three picks, provided the value of player is there

1) Trench
2) trench
3 ) OC
4) House pick

Just an early opinion

Salute the nation

I wouldn’t count on Rudy signing here just yet.

I’m sure his feelers are out there and will also have to see what the STEELERS offer not just in monetary value, but also in open fairness competition assurances.

He’s not going to sign for minimum this time around. I see a better than or near “Mitch” deal.

Salute the nation

I think Kirk Cousins is a FA now. I f his Achilles heals up he would be a great pickup
What is the fascination with a soon to be 36yo QB that is on his way to retirement real soon. Coming of a serious mobility injury?