• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Preseason grades Jacksonville edition

FordFairLane

Reaction score
QB-
Trubisky- I’m just going to say it. He’s looked the worst out of the three. His TD last week was to a wide open Olszewski. The good is his mobility. And with how bad our line is moving around is going to be a need not an option. But he misfired a few balls.
Pickett- I love his progression from this week to last. Last week he played it safe and checked a lot of passes down. This week he fired it down field. Stats won’t show it as much as it should because he had a 12+ yard pass called back because of offsetting penalties and then had a TD to DJ called back because of a hold. But he was definitely more confident about the offense and it’s fun seeing him grow. I still don’t want him to start week one because I think that’s too much pressure but I don’t care who starts the season if the offense isn’t getting it done after a month I’d definitely ride Pickett out the rest of the year.
Rudolph- I agree with Tomlin. He looked like a varsity guy playing on the JV. When you are a veteran QB like him you should look like the best player on the field and he did. The safety was stupid but he’s either getting sacked or throwing it away. It’s a safety either way.

RB- Warren- should be 2b with Snell. Benny still is a special team ace so I keep him but I think any playing time should be split behind Najee. He just has that lower center of gravity that’s tough to bring down and even though not agile he has enough wiggle to break that first tackle. And his receiving skills have been a nice surprise.
Snell- you know what you have with him. He can bust up the middle and get tough yards and is a decent receiver out of the backfield. He’s still a stud special teams guy.
McFarland- did too little too late. Doesn’t bring enough in the running game to not be a special teams guy. Probably sneaks on the practice squad.

WR-
DJ- looked in midseason form. Could have had a huge play if Trubisky hits him. Not all Trubisky’s fault as he did have to throw on the move. But the throw was god awful. Behind and short when needed to be in front and long. Also, nice TD grab from Pickett called back. Again not a great throw but adjusted his body to go get it.
Claypool- had a nice grab called back. Then had a nice 29 yard gainer. Not too worried as I feel he turns it on come regular season.
Pickens- quiet night but again not too worried. He’s done enough in camp and preseason where I think the regular season he turns up.

TE-
Freiermuth and Pickett will be a fun duo for years to come. He was running free up the seam all night long. Second round steal like Pickens.
Gentry- doesn’t get enough credit for doing the dirty work. Kind of like Matt Spaeth.
Heyward- not sure where to put him as he’s kinda an h-back. I think his role grows throughout the season and 2023 he becomes a weapon.

OL-
Moore- if the Steelers don’t call Eric Fisher’s agent today then they’re morons. Fisher isn’t great but he’s “ok” which is a drastic improvement over Moore.
Green/Dotson- should be benched once Fisher is signed as LT I’d kick Moore in at LG. Fixes the left side of the line.
Mason- does his job. Nothing special but solid.
Daniels- this guy needs to pull it together. I was so excited about him and now I think he’s competing with Moore as worst lineman.
Chuks- been very solid. Maybe he just needed to be brought over to RT and given time to learn it.

Edge-
TJ- is going to be the man again.
Avery- has a decent bull rush.

ILB-
Bush- is not an NFL LB. Needs to be cut/traded. He’s an ok coverage guy but can’t flow through the garbage and when he does is afraid to tackle. I think when I saw the jags backup WR blocking Bush down the field 12 yards and owning him I almost threw my beer at the tv. Tomlin and Co can’t be that blind. He’s the worst LB on the team and maybe the worst player. If his draft status keeps him here I’ll lose what little respect I have for Tomlin and Art.
Jack- definitely the best free agent pickup. Sheds better than I expected and knifes through traffic.
Spillane- should definitely start over Bush. Good vs run and improved in coverage.
Robinson- reminds me of James Harrison a little. Undersized but just throws his body around. If he hits the weights and learns pass coverage we could have something. I definitely was wrong about him in my draft assessment.
Scott- showed up tonight. Very poor officiating on that roughing the passer call. Scott was in the air when the QB released the ball then pulled up to lessen the blow. Good pressure by Scott I wouldn’t tell him to do different.

DL-
Ogunjobi- was a little up and down. He was washed out of a few plays I think he should have been able to plant himself and hold his ground with.
Leal- flashed a few times. I’m hoping him and Loudermilk will progress into our two starting DE’s.

CB-
Wallace- seems solid. Nothing to write home about but a smart player. Hopefully he fills Haden’s steady Eddy role.
Witherspoon- I hope this is his breakout season. Very fluid.
Sutton- I think he’ll be a better coach on the field than Hilton but not as big of a play guy.

S-
Edmunds is finally getting used correctly. I’ve been saying since his rookie season we are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Maybe it was Butler. But he’s playing up near the line a lot and was excellent vs the run. I would definitely play him in a hybrid utility role and bring Norwood in to play more of your traditional coverage safety. Get Bush off the field.

Good point on Gentry. Came into the NFL raw and wasn't very good but kept working and is a solid TE2 right now.

I'm not sure I'm on board with Okorafor. He's average in pass protection but still below the bar in run blocking. For a team that seemed to want to run the ball with Najee Harris, signing a finesse RT was questionable. Then again, he's the best player on the OL right now.

Agree on Edmunds, nice to see him stick his nose in on plays near the line.

QB-
Trubisky- I’m just going to say it. He’s looked the worst out of the three. His TD last week was to a wide open Olszewski. The good is his mobility. And with how bad our line is moving around is going to be a need not an option. But he misfired a few balls.
Pickett- I love his progression from this week to last. Last week he played it safe and checked a lot of passes down. This week he fired it down field. Stats won’t show it as much as it should because he had a 12+ yard pass called back because of offsetting penalties and then had a TD to DJ called back because of a hold. But he was definitely more confident about the offense and it’s fun seeing him grow. I still don’t want him to start week one because I think that’s too much pressure but I don’t care who starts the season if the offense isn’t getting it done after a month I’d definitely ride Pickett out the rest of the year.
Rudolph- I agree with Tomlin. He looked like a varsity guy playing on the JV. When you are a veteran QB like him you should look like the best player on the field and he did. The safety was stupid but he’s either getting sacked or throwing it away. It’s a safety either way.

RB- Warren- should be 2b with Snell. Benny still is a special team ace so I keep him but I think any playing time should be split behind Najee. He just has that lower center of gravity that’s tough to bring down and even though not agile he has enough wiggle to break that first tackle. And his receiving skills have been a nice surprise.
Snell- you know what you have with him. He can bust up the middle and get tough yards and is a decent receiver out of the backfield. He’s still a stud special teams guy.
McFarland- did too little too late. Doesn’t bring enough in the running game to not be a special teams guy. Probably sneaks on the practice squad.

WR-
DJ- looked in midseason form. Could have had a huge play if Trubisky hits him. Not all Trubisky’s fault as he did have to throw on the move. But the throw was god awful. Behind and short when needed to be in front and long. Also, nice TD grab from Pickett called back. Again not a great throw but adjusted his body to go get it.
Claypool- had a nice grab called back. Then had a nice 29 yard gainer. Not too worried as I feel he turns it on come regular season.
Pickens- quiet night but again not too worried. He’s done enough in camp and preseason where I think the regular season he turns up.

TE-
Freiermuth and Pickett will be a fun duo for years to come. He was running free up the seam all night long. Second round steal like Pickens.
Gentry- doesn’t get enough credit for doing the dirty work. Kind of like Matt Spaeth.
Heyward- not sure where to put him as he’s kinda an h-back. I think his role grows throughout the season and 2023 he becomes a weapon.

OL-
Moore- if the Steelers don’t call Eric Fisher’s agent today then they’re morons. Fisher isn’t great but he’s “ok” which is a drastic improvement over Moore.
Green/Dotson- should be benched once Fisher is signed as LT I’d kick Moore in at LG. Fixes the left side of the line.
Mason- does his job. Nothing special but solid.
Daniels- this guy needs to pull it together. I was so excited about him and now I think he’s competing with Moore as worst lineman.
Chuks- been very solid. Maybe he just needed to be brought over to RT and given time to learn it.

Edge-
TJ- is going to be the man again.
Avery- has a decent bull rush.

ILB-
Bush- is not an NFL LB. Needs to be cut/traded. He’s an ok coverage guy but can’t flow through the garbage and when he does is afraid to tackle. I think when I saw the jags backup WR blocking Bush down the field 12 yards and owning him I almost threw my beer at the tv. Tomlin and Co can’t be that blind. He’s the worst LB on the team and maybe the worst player. If his draft status keeps him here I’ll lose what little respect I have for Tomlin and Art.
Jack- definitely the best free agent pickup. Sheds better than I expected and knifes through traffic.
Spillane- should definitely start over Bush. Good vs run and improved in coverage.
Robinson- reminds me of James Harrison a little. Undersized but just throws his body around. If he hits the weights and learns pass coverage we could have something. I definitely was wrong about him in my draft assessment.
Scott- showed up tonight. Very poor officiating on that roughing the passer call. Scott was in the air when the QB released the ball then pulled up to lessen the blow. Good pressure by Scott I wouldn’t tell him to do different.

DL-
Ogunjobi- was a little up and down. He was washed out of a few plays I think he should have been able to plant himself and hold his ground with.
Leal- flashed a few times. I’m hoping him and Loudermilk will progress into our two starting DE’s.

CB-
Wallace- seems solid. Nothing to write home about but a smart player. Hopefully he fills Haden’s steady Eddy role.
Witherspoon- I hope this is his breakout season. Very fluid.
Sutton- I think he’ll be a better coach on the field than Hilton but not as big of a play guy.

S-
Edmunds is finally getting used correctly. I’ve been saying since his rookie season we are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Maybe it was Butler. But he’s playing up near the line a lot and was excellent vs the run. I would definitely play him in a hybrid utility role and bring Norwood in to play more of your traditional coverage safety. Get Bush off the field.

Great Post Fordfairlane, thank you

Fully agree on the Fischer / Moore combo.

I'm all for an up-grade on the OL and we need it desperately. I think Fischer would be cost effective and moving Moore may be the answer,

Salute the nation

QB's was hard to grade.
Trubisky was under pressure each play.
The golden boy Pickett..had the big meat in the game, TE package, top receivers play calling for down the field in two minute drill.
Everyone favorite QB to hate Rudolph, play calls were short and sweet, less quality players, blamed for safety where he was wrong no matter what he did with a player on his back. He did make the plays to go down and win the game. Perfect throw for the TD. We all want Pickett to do well, but in reality, with the OL we have these two game is what we will see this year, either start off fast or slow. Ol will have penalties that will stop the drive, or the DL will do as Saturday give up 7.2 yard a play.
Time to see Bush as he is by Tomlin.

We see an uptick in the running backs enough though Saturday showed nothing.
Receivers we are licking our chops to see them.
Still waiting for this defense to come together and be what so many think they will be.
Same as last five years tackling and getting off the field on third down is suspect.