• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Reported: Russell Wilson to Start Against the Jets

That rating is based on passes thrown. When he does throw the ball, his stats look great. The problem is the throws he doesn't make. There are way too many missed opportunities. Kind of like Pickett except Fields can take off running to move the chains.
I’ve seen more big plays dropped or PI called in Fields 6 games than big plays in KP’s career as a starter…and the kid can run effectively for TDs, not out of a clean pocket into sacks like KP frequently did.

Fields has warts 100%, but has been far more entertaining to watch than Lenny was imo

And Fields could still get better in the system, watching KP was like watching Kent Graham…**** hurt my eyeballs

That being said giving OlderRuss a shot to see if he has anything left in the tank is a solid move as we prepare for the second half of the season…gotta know what we have at the position…which thankfully I think all 3 options are better than watching another snap by Kenny.

I’m wondering with the probable start of Russ this Sunday evening, it made me wonder about the running game. I’m wondering how much more Russ would be under center for running plays vs the pistol or shotgun. This could help the running game more with Najee and Warren.

Pickett was 7-5. I can't get behind the better record in games he started and finished to artificially inflate the winning %. At no point did the offense go out and win those games, the defense had to play lights out. Fields isn't great, but has the offense a little more entertaining to watch. I get why they are switching to Wilson, especially after reading and watching the throws Fields isn't hitting.

So far Fields is just a little better version of Kenny Pickett and that's only because he can run.

Steve Young?
Young, like Mahomes, never topped the mid 70's in rushing attempts... he was way more opt to scramble and throw a pass downfield than to tuck it and run..
Tarkenton , in predominately 14 game seasons during his career, only topped 60 rushes once... 62 is his career high

Wilson had 2 seasons topping 100 attempts and 3 more seasons topping 90 attempts...
his career high is 118... he is the only QB who ran that much and won a super bowl.. but he was way more a pass/run guy than The other run heavy guys

Young, like Mahomes, never topped the mid 70's in rushing attempts... he was way more opt to scramble and throw a pass downfield than to tuck it and run..
Tarkenton , in predominately 14 game seasons during his career, only topped 60 rushes once... 62 is his career high

Wilson had 2 seasons topping 100 attempts and 3 more seasons topping 90 attempts...
his career high is 118... he is the only QB who ran that much and won a super bowl.. but he was way more a pass/run guy than The other run heavy guys
Interesting stats.

Steve Young is interesting

He played 1 season in the USFL before it went kaput. Then he want to Tampa where he played 2 seasons. So that's 3 years of pro football.

Here are Young's stats from Tampa
19 games
53% completion 3217 yards 11 TD 21 INT
658 yards rushing 6 TD

Here are Fields stats for year 2 and 3 with the Bears. Throw out year 1 for Fields as we throw out Young's year 1 of the USFL
28 games
61% completion 4804 yards 33 TD 20 INT
1800 yards rushing 12 TD

For Comparison, extrapolate Young's stats to 28 games
53% 4740 yards 16 TD 31 INT
970 yards rushing 9 TD

After 2 years, Tampa considered Young a bust and drafted Vinny Testaverde 1st overall in 1987.

Young then went to San Fran where he sat behind Joe Montana for 4 seasons. Then in 1991, Montana got hurt and Yong got to start. He wasn't good. They were 4-4 and Young got injured. They started Steve Bono (he was the steelers scab QB in the 87 strike season), and when Young was healthy again, the 49ers stuck with Bono as the starter. A few weeks later, Bono got hurt and Young got the job back. Then in 1992, Young finally had a great season

So it took Steve Young until his 9th year of pro football (1 USFL, 2 Tampa Bay, 6 San Fran) until he finally emerged. He got to watch Joe Montana every day, he was on a great team, and he still played like a chicken with it's head cut off until hie 9th year.

Some QBs take time. Teams rarely give QBs that time. Fields is worth trying to develop. His upside is massive.

I’ve seen more big plays dropped or PI called in Fields 6 games than big plays in KP’s career as a starter…and the kid can run effectively for TDs, not out of a clean pocket into sacks like KP frequently did.

Fields has warts 100%, but has been far more entertaining to watch than Lenny was imo

And Fields could still get better in the system, watching KP was like watching Kent Graham…**** hurt my eyeballs

That being said giving OlderRuss a shot to see if he has anything left in the tank is a solid move as we prepare for the second half of the season…gotta know what we have at the position…which thankfully I think all 3 options are better than watching another snap by Kenny.

Agreed. but i think Tomlin has to see what he has before the AFC gauntlet we got to run in NOV / Dec. 1 he can make a better decision. 2. He dont want to be switching during that time. 3. He is " not leaving any stone unturned."

Steve Young is interesting

He played 1 season in the USFL before it went kaput. Then he want to Tampa where he played 2 seasons. So that's 3 years of pro football.

Here are Young's stats from Tampa
19 games
53% completion 3217 yards 11 TD 21 INT
658 yards rushing 6 TD

Here are Fields stats for year 2 and 3 with the Bears. Throw out year 1 for Fields as we throw out Young's year 1 of the USFL
28 games
61% completion 4804 yards 33 TD 20 INT
1800 yards rushing 12 TD

For Comparison, extrapolate Young's stats to 28 games
53% 4740 yards 16 TD 31 INT
970 yards rushing 9 TD

After 2 years, Tampa considered Young a bust and drafted Vinny Testaverde 1st overall in 1987.

Young then went to San Fran where he sat behind Joe Montana for 4 seasons. Then in 1991, Montana got hurt and Yong got to start. He wasn't good. They were 4-4 and Young got injured. They started Steve Bono (he was the steelers scab QB in the 87 strike season), and when Young was healthy again, the 49ers stuck with Bono as the starter. A few weeks later, Bono got hurt and Young got the job back. Then in 1992, Young finally had a great season

So it took Steve Young until his 9th year of pro football (1 USFL, 2 Tampa Bay, 6 San Fran) until he finally emerged. He got to watch Joe Montana every day, he was on a great team, and he still played like a chicken with it's head cut off until hie 9th year.

Some QBs take time. Teams rarely give QBs that time. Fields is worth trying to develop. His upside is massive.
Yes. I think fields fans think because they think he isnt 100% optimal now, he never is gonna get another chance... he has a metric ton of upside... he just needs to understand things a bit better to process them faster...

If you’re old enough to remember, the most mobile QB to ever play in a Super Bowl win or lose was Fran Tarkenton.
He was pretty amazing.
Never won though.

What I remember of him is he threw a ton of INTs. But I remember less and less from that era, yearly.

He remains as the Vikings all time leader in passing yards and touchdowns, and is in the HOF.
The greatest escape artist to ever play.

I can understand how most don’t remember much about him. Unlike Super Bowl losers who became HOF’ers…Kelly, 0-4 and Marino 0-1,….oddly his name is rarely mentioned. Tark was 0-3 in SB’s.

Tarkenton attracted widespread attention as an exciting scrambler who took plays from sideline to sideline. Add his 3,674 yards rushing to his stunning passing totals and you have 50,677 yards – almost 29 miles or 500 football fields – of offensive progression. Yet Tarkenton was also a "quality" passer, as his 80.4 passing rating that placed him in the upper echelon in that category demonstrates.

Last edited:
Young Russell Wilson is probably the most mobile QB to ever win a Super Bowl, but even then he was always looking for the pass over the run.
The year he won the SB he averaged 6 attempts per game... iirc outside of Russ, no QB who has averaged more than five attempts in a season any time in their entire careers has ever won a super Bowl..
Though Newton made it to one before getting shut down and Lamar, Vick and Kordel all made to conference Championship games..

Fields ran 55 times in 6 games thats over 9 times a game... on pace for 155 carries...
on top of that, his time from snap to throw was over 3 seconds... one of the highest among starting qbs this year..

A mobile qb who gives you 60-80 carries a year is fine... but a guy turning that many passes into runs isnt healthy for an O... you can see why they want him to season more on the bench while Wilson tries to maximize the passing game
Donovan McNabb is missing from this list, I think...

Wilson can't run like Fields but he does still get a few runs per game as he has throughout his career. He's not a complete statue back there. Hopefully, he can help teach Fields a little more on the passing side of things.
His last year in college he had a 70 percent completion percentage with the prior season over 40 TDs. I tend to think the kid hasn’t topped out. I could be wrong but I think there is potential for growth still there. The start of the season it looked like he might trend in that direction before cooling off the last few games.

I think he will still get an opportunity whether it is soon or later.

If you’re old enough to remember, the most mobile QB to ever play in a Super Bowl win or lose was Fran Tarkenton.
He was pretty amazing.

Until he ran into something called “The Steel Curtain”

Salute the nation

Until he ran into something called “The Steel Curtain”

Salute the nation

One member of The Steel Curtain in particular.
He couldn’t escape Dwight “Mad Dog” White when White sacked him the end zone for a 2-0 Steeler lead in the Super Bowl.

Yes. I think fields fans think because they think he isnt 100% optimal now, he never is gonna get another chance... he has a metric ton of upside... he just needs to understand things a bit better to process them faster...
He has played 3.5 years now, when do you think he should play like he's been playing for 3 1/2 years already?

Wilson can't run like Fields but he does still get a few runs per game as he has throughout his career. He's not a complete statue back there. Hopefully, he can help teach Fields a little more on the passing side of things.
Starting when?

His last year in college he had a 70 percent completion percentage with the prior season over 40 TDs. I tend to think the kid hasn’t topped out. I could be wrong but I think there is potential for growth still there. The start of the season it looked like he might trend in that direction before cooling off the last few games.

I think he will still get an opportunity whether it is soon or later.
I agree. Fields is still very young. He has the talent. I definitely don't think he's reached his ceiling. He likes Smith as his OC and Smith seems to like him. It would be nice to see him stick with the Steelers long-term and succeed.

No doubt Russ probably ain’t bad but I doubt he does much better than fields but the real question is where do we go after benching fields? Hes played pretty well go get get him a receiver! But no instead you bench him?? He’s a few plays away from having us undefeated! With a ****** line and no receivers! Jones looks lost at RT! I’ve never seen a worse lineman! Wilson better tighten his chin strap! On the right side on the line is a rookie at guard and an idiot at tackle! Get fields a wr and call some running plays for him!! But No you bench him instead! Our coaching staff just suks they are determined to be 9-8.

One member of The Steel Curtain in particular.
He couldn’t escape Dwight “Mad Dog” White when White sacked him the end zone for a 2-0 Steeler lead in the Super Bowl.
Talk about a defensive struggle between 2 fine defenses.
2nd quarter
PIT
MIN
Safety by Dwight White
3rd quarter
PIT
MIN
Franco Harris 9-yard run (Roy Gerela kick)
4th quarter
PIT
MIN
Terry Brown 0-yard blocked punt return (kick failed)
Larry Brown 4-yard pass from Terry Bradshaw (Roy Gerela kick)
I watched every nail biting minute on an old B&W TV(y)

Last edited: