• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Reported: Russell Wilson to Start Against the Jets

send me some of what you’re smoking. At best we are a step better at QB with a 4-2 Fields. Everyone seems to forget that KP was 7-3 in his starts.
I will take a wild guess that he is banking on Russ as the reason we are better.

send me some of what you’re smoking. At best we are a step better at QB with a 4-2 Fields. Everyone seems to forget that KP was 7-3 in his starts.
Or that we set a new record for the lowest TD % in the history of the NFL. In all of recorded history, NO ONE has set a lower TD %, never.

Pickett was 7-5. I can't get behind the better record in games he started and finished to artificially inflate the winning %. At no point did the offense go out and win those games, the defense had to play lights out. Fields isn't great, but has the offense a little more entertaining to watch. I get why they are switching to Wilson, especially after reading and watching the throws Fields isn't hitting.

The only reason to stick with Fields is to try to develop him for the future. He's had moments but overall, he is not good. The 4 wins are defensive wins. Probably would have won those 4 with Kyle Allen or Kenny Pickett.

They want to see the offense run properly. Wilson can do that. He's not perfect but he reads defenses much better than Fields.

I think it's a good move to use Rus at least for a few weeks. We need to see this offense properly run before making any impulsive trades. It could help Fields too. Let him see Rus go through progression and not look for the big play each time and see how it makes the offense run better.

Everything is connected in Smith's offense. Start completing more on time passes and it will make it easier to run.

The other factor is that there's no unbeatable team in the NFL now. With the way the defense is playing, if they get above the line QB play, as crazy as it sounds, this Steeler team does have a shot this year to make a run in the playoffs. Look at what happened with Flacco and the Browns last year. Flacco is not great but he's solid. He makes the right reads and gets the ball out on time.

Stick with the guy who won 4/6 games so far and whose last game was a win. Last week should have been the time after 2 consecutive losses but what do I know. I do know that Fields is liable to shut down if he's taken out with a winning record while working with 1 qualified WR and a patchwork line.

He'd be totally justified to go off as such:

The only reason to stick with Fields is to try to develop him for the future. He's had moments but overall, he is not good. The 4 wins are defensive wins. Probably would have won those 4 with Kyle Allen or Kenny Pickett.

They want to see the offense run properly. Wilson can do that. He's not perfect but he reads defenses much better than Fields.

I think it's a good move to use Rus at least for a few weeks. We need to see this offense properly run before making any impulsive trades. It could help Fields too. Let him see Rus go through progression and not look for the big play each time and see how it makes the offense run better.

Everything is connected in Smith's offense. Start completing more on time passes and it will make it easier to run.

The other factor is that there's no unbeatable team in the NFL now. With the way the defense is playing, if they get above the line QB play, as crazy as it sounds, this Steeler team does have a shot this year to make a run in the playoffs. Look at what happened with Flacco and the Browns last year. Flacco is not great but he's solid. He makes the right reads and gets the ball out on time.
Based on what we've seen, Russ will need to be the QB to have a chance to not finish as a borderline AFC playoff team and have a chance to win a playoff game. Looking to the future, it's really murky for the Steelers.

I've seen enough from Fields I wouldn't mind bringing him back but for backup money and not as a the guaranteed starter. If Russ does really well, they could re-sign him as the starter, but soon to be 36 years old, how much will he have left in the tank? The wheels could fall off at any point. They also won't be in position to draft a QB high and I'm still not sold on this year's QB class.

I don't begrudge you your opinion but don't try to pass off your cognitive biases as fact.

"building confidence" at pro level is BS that exists in your head. A pro QB learns the playbook & executes or doesn't.

"Protecting the psyche" of a professional is more shut that exists only in your head. You can't qualify or quantify it and that's why you don't try.
You're right, clown. Starting NFL quarterbacks don't need to have confidence. Being mentally strong is overrated. Great point.
"Above average" passer rating. Congratulations. Your passer rating is better than 30 other professional QB on 31 different teams using 31 different playbooks with 31 different rosters.
I pointed out his passer rating in response to someone who said that Fields has been "terrible" as a passer. It's simply not true. And the rest of what you wrote here is unintelligible. Not surprising.
Wilson had a leg injury. How is this relevant? Explain yourself
It's relevant because Wilson is going to be pressured a great deal behind a porous offensive line, he is not going to be anywhere near as mobile as Fields was back there, and returning after a calf injury is not going to help. Do I need to type slower for you?
Fields "building confidence" - I'll wait while you bungle all over yourself trying to quantify that.
You can't understand that starting, playing well, and winning with the Steelers hasn't helped build his confidence? After all the negative publicity he's endured with the Bears? Can't grasp that simple concept?
Raiders v Cowboys - relevance? Are you implying that this game indicates something about Fields performance, ability, future? Explain yourself
Again, I had responded to another poster who said that every other team who played the Cowboys "gashed" their defense. Try to follow along. I know it must be difficult for you.
So before you run that **** holster underneath your nose and make an idiot of yourself, come with more facts and less ad hominem.

Fields is a clipboard holder and I hope he continues to "build confidence" during practice so that his fragile psyche isn't negatively affected by performance based evaluation and subsequent demotion.

How did you like my summary?
Your summary indicates some difficulty with reading comprehension. I've explained at length why referring to my entire post as "9 cubic yards of nonsense" was stupid. Nothing has changed.

If you're correct about Fields, he will sign a big contract and start somewhere next season. Mark your calendar so we can revisit.

If he isn't signed to start somewhere for starter money, you're wrong...again.
Whatever contract Fields signs next year has little bearing on the current situation. But I wouldn't expect you to understand the mechanics of that.
What a bold prediction
It's so hard to believe that you have no idea how to detect sarcasm, either.