• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rudolph Critical of Himself after Sunday’s Tie: “I Have Plenty of Balls I Would Like Back”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
In his fourth year with the Pittsburgh Steelers, quarterback Mason Rudolph didn’t make any excuses when it came to the weather conditions the Steelers found themselves in during Sunday’s contest that ended in a 16-16 tie against the winless Detroit Lions. He stated multiple times that weather “was a factor, but I think everyone was dealing with that,” elaborating, “I think we were all dealing with the weather, and it obviously affects us all differently.” While it’s nice to hear the young quarterback not make any obvious excuses for his play that led to Sunday’s tie, it was clear the sloppy conditions affected his play in more situations than one.

“The one slant to Diontae [Johnson] was definitely too high and hot. Those are the throws I got to make despite the weather conditions.”

Rudolph missed what would have been a touchdown to Ray-Ray McCloud at the goal line that would have put the Steelers up by four points at the time. McCloud was open at the top of the end zone, right on the goal line — a route we have seen many Steelers wide receivers make throughout the years and a throw we have to believe Ben Roethlisberger would have made if he were in that situation. Needless to say, Rudolph missed the target and threw it short, hitting the ground before making it to McCloud’s hands. A throw that he obviously now would like back.

“I got to make that throw. He did a good job of getting open for us down there in the end zone. That’s one I got to make. I don’t want to make an excuse. I got to make that throw.”

Although mistakes were made on Rudolph’s part, he did put the Steelers offense in positions to put points on the board. He did have a sloppy thrown interception in the first half, and missed receivers in some moments that could have had a huge effect on the game’s outcome, but his offensive teammates didn’t exactly help him out by doing their part either.

Rudolph led the Steelers offense down the field twice in overtime, putting the ball inside of the other team’s 40-yard line in hopes of at least a field goal attempt. He made a beautiful throw to Johnson towards the sideline that was caught for a good chunk of yardage that was fumbled in an attempt to gain extra yardage. Rookie tight end Pat Freiermuth fell victim to that same outcome with just seconds left on the board in overtime until the Steelers could have claimed victory.

“He was trying to get out of bounds, and I thought that was our best opportunity to get a quick 5 yards and get out of bounds. He [Freiermuth] has never had a ball security issue and it happens to all of us in those moments at times.”

Listen, I’m not one for playing the whole what if game when it comes to the outcome of games. The reality was, if both of those passes were caught and downed, the Steelers would have been in a great position to kick a game winning field goal — TWICE. Our defense did a good job of giving our offense good field position more times than not, but the Steelers did have plenty of opportunities to win this football game. For whatever reason, the Steelers fell short of victory.

We can ask ourselves “Would the Steelers have won this game had Roethlisberger been out there?” Responses to that may vary, but the fact is, this can’t be a game that is blamed strictly on Rudolph. Even so, Rudolph didn’t shy away from taking responsibility for the outcome.

“We all have things to correct, trust me. I have plenty of balls that I would like back. I think so does everyone on our offense.”

Watch the full postgame interview here:

Mason Rudolph speaks to the media following our game against Detroit. pic.twitter.com/7Y7LmbwKtK

— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) November 14, 2021

What did you think of Rudolph’s overall performance in only his 10th career NFL start on Sunday? Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Considering he dropped back 50 times in a torrential downpour on a near or below freezing day... I'd say he'd like at least 30 of em back for some other game.

And yet, I will continue to enjoy what I assume is Ben's last season. I'm all in on just doin' the day and lettin' the day do me.

He may have a better game Sunday if he starts. I’m not a Mason fan but I think the kid should be able to hold his own with the game plan more structured around him. Even if Ben is negative Saturday night or Sunday morning- he should sit out for the game and maybe be the backup to Mason for the game. My 2 cents…

This Lions game was his first real action in quite some time so I'd say if he starts sunday, he will do much better. Will the OL help him a little more, how about the play calling............. Mr. Canada grow a nut sack and ******* call football winning plays that actually are game planned to the opponent instead of short of the 1st down marker or goal line or 1st & goal from the 5 passing...................WAKE up please.!!!

We will see a better Mason but the OC needs to be better as well. I won't count us out just because Mason would be the starter.

Salute the nation

Last edited:
NO ONE GIVES A ****...Career Back up QB who was not ready when called upon

i think fellow Steelers fans join me in saying that we all wish that you, Mason, would stop allowing opponents to take your balls.

i know i wish you had much bigger balls during the game.