• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rudolph vs Pickett

Maybe we should, we definitely should consider it if KP doesn’t show clear and obvious growth signs if a franchise QB is BPA when we are on the clock.

It is the Most important position on the field and until you have one your team basically tops out at average at best.

But many here have been dulled by years of Mediocre Mike into accepting average as the acceptable standard and would be content watching years more of average as long as the hometown hero is sailing the ship

I hate to tell you but no qb in this league would make that offense look good. And it's a one dimensional offense that's been throwing 2-4 yard passes for 3 years. Not one single guy on that OL is of pro bowl status, all pro is a pipe dream.

The defensive side is just as bad. The highest paid defense in the league and they just get torched if they're not making the qb run for his life on every single play.

This team isn't going anyplace without coaching changes. They need to get back to base. Big Ben is gone. They can draft a qb top 5 pick and he's getting cooked with this set up. They have no OC, an OL that can't push a girlscout out of the way and who's going to develop the qb?

I suppose he has to develop himself judging by what Pickett is having to do.

It's a **** setup for failure at this point in time.

I highly doubt they will QB with a top 5 pick, regardless of who is there. The steelers feel they have their man. Many here, including myself said wait till next draft for QB. Mitch and Mason can carry us over till then. Well either could get us to here while a 1st rnd OL / Trench worker would be looking very good about now.

I can ONLYhope for high investment in trench workers, 2 of the first three picks or 3 of the first four picks.

Salute the nation

So the Jets benched their first round pick for a career backup to jump start his offense. White threw for 316 and 3 tds. Anyone else wonder if Rudolph would help jumpstart the passing game

Comparing two heir apparent Roethlisberger replacements that are currently on the same roster. And comparing (poorly i might ad) KP to perhaps the best quarterbacks in NFL history.

Topseed = 🤡
Rudolph obviously isn't the heir apparent to Roethlisberger, smart person. He's the heir apparent to Josh Dobbs.

So the Jets benched their first round pick for a career backup to jump start his offense. White threw for 316 and 3 tds. Anyone else wonder if Rudolph would help jumpstart the passing game
Think you need some help man....In 6 games White has a 400 yrd game, a 300 yrd game, and a 250 yrd game. In 17 games Mason has 1 300 yrd game (a loss) and no other games above 250. Mason has had almost triple the chances White has had and has shown little. I am trying to understand your obsesion w/ Mason, but im just not getting it. I am beginning to think you are just trolling, at least I hope so.

Cowher said before they are asking too much of a rookie… good rookie qbs not named Dan Marino are usually coupled with a mildly successful run game first and foremost… they don’t need to run run pass every series, but it would be nice if they had more thirds and less than fours than thirds and sevens or worse for tge Rookie
I’m voting u for OC
More 3rd and manageable-brilliant!
Don’t have to run on 1st-brilliant

Definitely makes it harder to evaluate a rookie asked to do too much too fast in a shyte system

I hate to tell you but no qb in this league would make that offense look good. And it's a one dimensional offense that's been throwing 2-4 yard passes for 3 years. Not one single guy on that OL is of pro bowl status, all pro is a pipe dream.

The defensive side is just as bad. The highest paid defense in the league and they just get torched if they're not making the qb run for his life on every single play.

This team isn't going anyplace without coaching changes. They need to get back to base. Big Ben is gone. They can draft a qb top 5 pick and he's getting cooked with this set up. They have no OC, an OL that can't push a girlscout out of the way and who's going to develop the qb?

I suppose he has to develop himself judging by what Pickett is having to do.

It's a **** setup for failure at this point in time.
Ben did, just sayin. Not the success I want but much more than the current cast.

So yeah a QB with better field vision than KP, better anticipation or accuracy would do better…which is easily at least 2/3rds of the QBs starting in the league if I’m being generous.

But I hear and have said myself the things your saying:
The OL is subpar even after improving/gelling
The coaching is dreadful
The D is ineffective in almost ALL key situations-thus highly overpaid

This team is and will be a dumpster fiya until Shades and Co. are gone…that time period likely coincides with us drafting another first round QB (end of KP’s contract) cuz Shades will get a couple years to wallow in the ditch.

Ben did, just sayin. Not the success I want but much more than the current cast.

So yeah a QB with better field vision than KP, better anticipation or accuracy would do better…which is easily at least 2/3rds of the QBs starting in the league if I’m being generous.

But I hear and have said myself the things your saying:
The OL is subpar even after improving/gelling
The coaching is dreadful
The D is ineffective in almost ALL key situations-thus highly overpaid

This team is and will be a dumpster fiya until Shades and Co. are gone…that time period likely coincides with us drafting another first round QB (end of KP’s contract) cuz Shades will get a couple years to wallow in the ditch.
Ben did not make that offense look good. Ben had 18 years of running the 2 min drill. He saved games like a relief pitcher making a save. That was all him
I don't see that at all with Pickett. Actually what i see is better than most top 5 picks as a rookie. Which mostly look horrible those first 2 seasons.Goes to show you how differently people view things. I see a rookie with a few games under his belt. Ask me after next year and I'll give you an honest answer. This evening should be fun on national TV. A guy with no coaching experience vs Tomlin and the genius of Canada.

You're dead on about coaching. That time for change is long past. It needs rebuild from the football culture up through the lines.

Last edited:
Ben did not make that offense look good. Ben had 18 years of running the 2 min drill. He saved games like a relief pitcher making a save. That was all him
I don't see that at all with Pickett. Actually what i see is better than most top 5 picks as a rookie. Which mostly look horrible those first 2 seasons.Goes to show you how differently people view things. I see a rookie with a few games under his belt. Ask me after next year and I'll give you an honest answer. This evening should be fun on national TV. A guy with no coaching experience vs Tomlin and the genius of Canada.

You're dead on about coaching. That time for change is long past. It needs rebuild from the football culture up through the lines.

Dan Moore is not a good LT but when you are the most challenged on a bad OL it magnifies. 4 of the 5 would more than likely NOT start if not on the STEELERS squad.

That synopsis can be said for several other positions on this team. Benny Snell has been ineffective for some time now other than ST ace....... what the **** is that? Our team has several roster spots being taken up by ST ace's. Wrong picture here.

WRs don't understand that when the QB is flushed, the rout tree has to be broken off and you find the open spot in the "D", simple concept but un-coached to the players. You see it quite often a WR just standing there once the QB is flushed, like they don't know what to do................. AB / randle-el / Hines / many others were coached in that concept.

Core root problem is mostly lack of coaching and talent evaluation. Until that changes, things will stay nearer the same than change for the better.

Salute the nation

No he didn't. At least not for 3 and a half quarters within the structure of the offense. As Steelr4evr pointed out, Ben in the two-minute drill got the Steelers off the hook more often than not last year. Ben was 6.2 YPA last year compared to 6.0 YPA for Pickett. He did throw for multiple touchdowns in 5 regular season games, which I suppose is something. But even then, the offense averaged only 20.2 PPG last year compared to 17 this year. You're talking about a field goal difference in production.

Think you need some help man....In 6 games White has a 400 yrd game, a 300 yrd game, and a 250 yrd game. In 17 games Mason has 1 300 yrd game (a loss) and no other games above 250. Mason has had almost triple the chances White has had and has shown little. I am trying to understand your obsesion w/ Mason, but im just not getting it. I am beginning to think you are just trolling, at least I hope so.
I think 300 yards and 2/1 would have turned some of those L’s into W’s.

What’s your obsession with Pickett? I just want to get some wins. Rudolph won’t be on the team next year regardless so it doesn’t matter. I just am sick of losing. Mediocrity is not the Steelers way.

What’s your obsession with Pickett? I just want to get some wins. Rudolph won’t be on the team next year regardless so it doesn’t matter. I just am sick of losing. Mediocrity is not the Steelers way.
So then why Mason?

Mediocre Mason doesn't have a future with the team, plus stuck in mediocrity is the worst place to be for an NFL team. If you're going to struggle throughout a season, you mine as well struggle with guys who will be a part of the future.
Rudolph definitely will be on another team next year. But I wouldn't count on Kenny being part of any long term plans with the Steelers either. His time in Pittsburgh might be shorter than Rudolph if he doesn't show significant improvement over the next several weeks.

Rudolph definitely will be on another team next year. But I wouldn't count on Kenny being part of any long term plans with the Steelers either. His time in Pittsburgh might be shorter than Rudolph if he doesn't show significant improvement over the next several weeks.
That's fine as well. Maneuver the draft this year to try to pick up an extra first in 2024 and stink next year when the QB class looks like it can actually be good as opposed to the wishful thinking "deep" class everyone was hyping up this year.

KP will be starting for the Steelers next year, Rudolph is a long shot to start elsewhere. That is the knowns, the rest is speculation. The wins won't pile up under this HC,OC, and DC. Get some competent coaches in then we will see a return to winning regularly. Until then...they won't.

I'm not obsessed with Pickett. I think he should have sat this year and i was not fully on board with the pick, but i understood it. I also understand Pickett is a rookie and our coaching is horrendous. Our offensive system is an utter joke. The worst part is the excuses the coaches keep throwing out. They are oblivious or too egotistical to realize what they are doing is not working. I honestly think if we brought in someone like Mahomes the offense with still stink.

I'm srry but Pickett is not it and should not be starting.. he's literally Landry Jones 2.0. A one read QB who doesn't even bother to sit in the pocket and read defenses and look thru his progressions.. he literally throws to his first read EVERY TIME.. yeah he's a rookie but he's not improving on this at all since he took over the starting position. Get Rudolph in there and see if we can still save this season.

You don’t give up on a 1st round QB after a few games, no matter who he is.

KP will be starting for the Steelers next year, Rudolph is a long shot to start elsewhere. That is the knowns, the rest is speculation. The wins won't pile up under this HC,OC, and DC. Get some competent coaches in then we will see a return to winning regularly. Until then...they won't.
Rudolph is a longshot to be a backup elsewhere. People need to get over him

Pickett>>>>>Rudy

I'm srry but Pickett is not it and should not be starting.. he's literally Landry Jones 2.0. A one read QB who doesn't even bother to sit in the pocket and read defenses and look thru his progressions.. he literally throws to his first read EVERY TIME.. yeah he's a rookie but he's not improving on this at all since he took over the starting position. Get Rudolph in there and see if we can still save this season.
Lmao

Arse

I think Rudolph has plenty of interest in free agency. I think if he’s smart he learns from Mitch and maybe waits until after the draft to sign. If I am him I’m eyeing up Indy, New England, Jets, Titans, Detroit, Washington, Atlanta and even Seattle and Tampa depending on if Geno resigns and if Brady retires. I guess what I’m saying is if he’s smart he likely gets an opportunity. Something he didn’t have here.