• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rudolph vs Pickett

BEN performed like a HOF QB who had a shitstorm OC and OL. Without BEN's play, that offense would have been deeper than the bottom of a pile of ****.

Think about this................ They ****-ing handcuffed him in that he couldn't AUDIBLE for the first 5-6 games, WTF.

Salute the nation
We were damn lucky to have him
Kept us relevant for a couple decades

The moment I first caught wind of the absolute stupidity/absurdity of reducing the no huddle and eliminating audibles for Ben early last season coincides exactly with my calling for Canada’s job…every time I think of how he handcuffed Ben it just verifies to me also that Tomlin is clueless as well to sit back and allow that **** to happen

Manning didn't have a horrible start to his career. Being a rookie and being 3rd in yards behind Brett Favre and Steve Young is not horrible. Being 5th in TD's behind Young, Cunningham (Randy Moss, Chris Carter and Jake Reed), Brett Favre and Vinny Testaverde isn't horrible. Yes, he led the NFL in interceptions but was only 5 from Favre. Making the comparison to Manning is asinine. I mean if I was to compare a recently retired QB's rookie season to Pickett's I would say Alex Smith would be the best comparison out there.
Using your own "good old faithful QB rating system" as the standard, Manning did indeed have a horrible rookie season with a rating of 71.2, far below the league average of 78.3 that year.

What's truly asinine is your choice to pimp Rudolph's early numbers (which have currently regressed overall to a point substantially lower than the league average) like they actually mean something. Who gives a rat's *** that he had better stats than Pickett after 130 attempts? He ended 2019 with an 82 rating, and his career mark stands at 80.9. Rudolph didn't get better, he got worse. That's why the Steelers decided to go in a different direction. Actually several different directions...as long as it wasn't with your hero as their starting quarterback. It's really not that complicated.

After four years in the league, everybody (except you and maybe three other people) knows that he's not a long-term answer. Third-string in Pittsburgh, and nobody willing to trade for the guy at the deadline. He's a career backup, and good for him -- he'll make more money carrying a clipboard for ten years in the NFL than most of us will make in our lifetimes.

KP, on the other hand, still has a chance to be something better, no matter what his stats look like right now. Pretty much anybody with eyeballs can see that. Even you.

Using your own "good old faithful QB rating system" as the standard, Manning did indeed have a horrible rookie season with a rating of 71.2, far below the league average of 78.3 that year.

What's truly asinine is your choice to pimp Rudolph's early numbers (which have currently regressed overall to a point substantially lower than the league average) like they actually mean something. Who gives a rat's *** that he had better stats than Pickett after 130 attempts? He ended 2019 with an 82 rating, and his career mark stands at 80.9. Rudolph didn't get better, he got worse. That's why the Steelers decided to go in a different direction. Actually several different directions...as long as it wasn't with your hero as their starting quarterback. It's really not that complicated.

After four years in the league, everybody (except you and maybe three other people) knows that he's not a long-term answer. Third-string in Pittsburgh, and nobody willing to trade for the guy at the deadline. He's a career backup, and good for him -- he'll make more money carrying a clipboard for ten years in the NFL than most of us will make in our lifetimes.

KP, on the other hand, still has a chance to be something better, no matter what his stats look like right now. Pretty much anybody with eyeballs can see that. Even you.

Mason Rudolf has served his purpose. His purpose is over and ost likely will not be on the team next season. It would be nice to get a draft pick out of him but that ay not happen. A 5/6 round project would serve the purpose of Mason currently. We have Mitch one more year so there is that.

Salute the nation

Mason Rudolf has served his purpose. His purpose is over and ost likely will not be on the team next season. It would be nice to get a draft pick out of him but that ay not happen. A 5/6 round project would serve the purpose of Mason currently. We have Mitch one more year so there is that.

Salute the nation
I would rather keep Mason than Mitch. I like Kenny and think he has a chance to be the future but we would have won more games with Mason at QB this year. That might not have been in the best long term interests of the team but he is the best passer on the team right now. I am not upset with the decision not to play him as we need to build the roster and get get Kenny experience. Maybe if we had lost more games in the seasons we almost made the playoffs and missed we would have a better talent base. Mike just wouldn't have the whole non losing season thing but he may have some playoff wins instead.

Mason ain’t sticking around for another year/two
He’s getting away from the mess he’s been in all year…and has handled the **** show well so far

I predict he’s the veteran bridge somewhere like Carolina vs a first round pick

I would rather keep Mason than Mitch. I like Kenny and think he has a chance to be the future but we would have won more games with Mason at QB this year. That might not have been in the best long term interests of the team but he is the best passer on the team right now. I am not upset with the decision not to play him as we need to build the roster and get get Kenny experience. Maybe if we had lost more games in the seasons we almost made the playoffs and missed we would have a better talent base. Mike just wouldn't have the whole non losing season thing but he may have some playoff wins instead.
There is no way to say we would have won more games with mason, or Ben , Mith, or Mahomes. KP is the most mobile and had some nice runs that mason couldn't do. Maybe the D plays mason different. We just have no way to know what would have happened. In 2021 we avg 20.2 ppg with Ben at QB. I think that is counting defensive scores. Right now we are at 17.2 and have scored more than 20 two weeks in a row. If a HOF QB could only get us 3 extra points i don't think Rudolph would fair any better than KP.

This is where MR was at roughly the same point in his career.
This is where KP is.

You can hate on Rudolph all you want while looking like a fool talking up Pickett. Bottomline is KP is not having as good of a season as Rudolph's 2019. We will see how it all plays out but anyone with an ounce of football knowledge would be a little worried we wasted a first round pick at this point. Not saying KP is a bust just that each week he doesn't have a 100+ QB rating game is more cause for concern. bwt Rudolph had three in 2019.

Just because I have no hatred for Rudolph doesn't mean I don't want KP to succeed. I am just comparing the two and so far Rudolph is better.

This is where KP is.

You can hate on Rudolph all you want while looking like a fool talking up Pickett. Bottomline is KP is not having as good of a season as Rudolph's 2019. We will see how it all plays out but anyone with an ounce of football knowledge would be a little worried we wasted a first round pick at this point. Not saying KP is a bust just that each week he doesn't have a 100+ QB rating game is more cause for concern. bwt Rudolph had three in 2019.

Just because I have no hatred for Rudolph doesn't mean I don't want KP to succeed. I am just comparing the two and so far Rudolph is better.
Keep in mind Mason was not a rookie only a first year starter. There is a difference. He had a better grasp of the offense. I like Mason but just pointing out the problem with that direct comparison.

There is no way to say we would have won more games with mason, or Ben , Mith, or Mahomes. KP is the most mobile and had some nice runs that mason couldn't do. Maybe the D plays mason different. We just have no way to know what would have happened. In 2021 we avg 20.2 ppg with Ben at QB. I think that is counting defensive scores. Right now we are at 17.2 and have scored more than 20 two weeks in a row. If a HOF QB could only get us 3 extra points i don't think Rudolph would fair any better than KP.
I will respectfully disagree. IMHO he would have been netter able to run this putrid offense than either Mitch or Kenny at the start of the year. I think we would have scored a bit more off the bungles TO's. I think he is far more poised and savvy pocket passer than Mitch and simply more experienced than Kenny. Long term we are better off with Kenny playing but I still stick by my opinion. I agree with FFL that Mason is underrated. I don't agree with his full assessment of Kenny.

Keep in mind Mason was not a rookie only a first year starter. There is a difference. He had a better grasp of the offense. I like Mason but just pointing out the problem with that direct comparison.
He was the same age as Pickett and a second year player that unlike Pickett didn’t get 1/3 the reps in camp. It’s not like he was a 10 year 32 year old veteran.

I will respectfully disagree. IMHO he would have been netter able to run this putrid offense than either Mitch or Kenny at the start of the year. I think we would have scored a bit more off the bungles TO's. I think he is far more poised and savvy pocket passer than Mitch and simply more experienced than Kenny. Long term we are better off with Kenny playing but I still stick by my opinion. I agree with FFL that Mason is underrated. I don't agree with his full assessment of Kenny.
I have said it’s early in the assessment process of Pickett. And I have said he has improved the last few weeks. But he’s far from being the best QB on the team. I am waiting for that wow moment where you know he’s going to be the guy.

Yeah both guys were 24 when they received their first play n the NFL

Kenny got more time actually playing while Mason got to sit and watch for a minute…or was Mason 23 when he got his first start?

Either way calling that advantage Mason is a stretch…a draw at best

ZZtop
I have said it’s early in the assessment process of Pickett. And I have said he has improved the last few weeks. But he’s far from being the best QB on the team. I am waiting for that wow moment where you know he’s going to be the guy.
Kenny is the best QB on the team. He is the now and the future. He is their guy so that makes him "the" guy. There was some calling for his start earlier in training camp due to good performance. Regardless of what you need to see these are the facts. He doesn't need to be far and the best that will come. He just needs to be better than the two behind him, he is.

He was the same age as Pickett and a second year player that unlike Pickett didn’t get 1/3 the reps in camp. It’s not like he was a 10 year 32 year old veteran.
No but he had multiple training camps and plenty of exposure to the offense. It is a significant difference, particularly early in the season.

This is exactly why he's starting now. Neither Rudolph or Trubisky had a wow moment while starting for the Steelers. At that point, you see what the rookie can do.

This is exactly why he's starting now. Neither Rudolph or Trubisky had a wow moment while starting for the Steelers. At that point, you see what the rookie can do.
I dunno..

I think they both had a decent amount of wow he sucks moments.

Mason ain’t sticking around for another year/two
He’s getting away from the mess he’s been in all year…and has handled the **** show well so far

I predict he’s the veteran bridge somewhere like Carolina vs a first round pick

I wish him well in his adventures away. You're right, he's a gone johnson QB headed away from purgatory to sink or swim.

Salute the nation

ZZtop

Kenny is the best QB on the team. He is the now and the future. He is their guy so that makes him "the" guy. There was some calling for his start earlier in training camp due to good performance. Regardless of what you need to see these are the facts. He doesn't need to be far and the best that will come. He just needs to be better than the two behind him, he is.
The team definitely seems to respond to his leadership better than they did Mitch or Rudy.

I can’t say one way or the other if he is actually better than Rudy or not right now. Rudy seemed to be putting it together in camp/preseason as did KP. I would wager the two are about exactly equal right now with different flaws.

I think KP’s flaws better suit the moron’s game plan and play calling AND the big kicker is Rudy is just a half season from escaping his shituation whereas the ownership is hoping/praying KP is the future.

Any way about it the best play is KP unless the moron breaks his toy.

You gotta remember Rudolph has started 10 games. 10. Pickett has already started 7. Rudolph wasn’t given much of an opportunity to show he could be the guy.

You gotta remember Rudolph has started 10 games. 10. Pickett has already started 7. Rudolph wasn’t given much of an opportunity to show he could be the guy.
At no point during any of those 10 games did Rudolph flash anything that indicated future starter. Pickett, though having his struggles and lacking TD passes, has shown some glimpses he can develop into a good QB. A ton of room for improvement, but there are moments there.

At no point during any of those 10 games did Rudolph flash anything that indicated future starter. Pickett, though having his struggles and lacking TD passes, has shown some glimpses he can develop into a good QB. A ton of room for improvement, but there are moments there.
So you are saying we should give up on KP if he doesn’t have a breakthrough game in the next three weeks. Because KP hasn’t shown ****.

So you are saying we should give up on KP if he doesn’t have a breakthrough game in the next three weeks. Because KP hasn’t shown ****.
You need to take off those tunnel vision goggles. To say he hasn't shown **** is crazy talk. He has had some nice in the face pressure completions.

You need to take off those tunnel vision goggles. To say he hasn't shown **** is crazy talk. He has had some nice in the face pressure completions.
His best performance was still 💩. He hasn’t touched any of Rudolph’s top 3. Those are facts.

This is where KP is.

I'm curious if you were named Apologist when Kordell was under center. This ranks right up there.