• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rudolph vs Pickett

Here's where it counts. Game on the line. Is Pickett going to be the next great QB for the Steelers or is he gonna fold and be average. This drive will say alot about him.

You need to take off those tunnel vision goggles. To say he hasn't shown **** is crazy talk. He has had some nice in the face pressure completions.
Just read an article stating Pickett leads the NFL in completion percentage when blitz.

Just read an article stating Pickett leads the NFL in completion percentage when blitz.
Kenny is more than holding his own under fire. Even without a blitz he's usually under pressure. If he ever gets an OL that can give him a clean pocket the majority of the time he'll be in the upper echelon of QBs.

You need to take off those tunnel vision goggles. To say he hasn't shown **** is crazy talk. He has had some nice in the face pressure completions.
He hasn’t. He’s been game managing. Which is fine because we can win games with a game manager. But it’s not like he’s doing anything special. I can tell you how to beat the steelers. Stop the run and make Pickett throw. The good news it we only play one good run defense the rest of the year.

He hasn’t. He’s been game managing. Which is fine because we can win games with a game manager. But it’s not like he’s doing anything special. I can tell you how to beat the steelers. Stop the run and make Pickett throw. The good news it we only play one good run defense the rest of the year.
You sure spend a lot of time knocking down Kenny and pumping up Rudolph. Probably time for you to let this mirage go. We won two games in a row largely with his ability to move the ball down the field. He uses his arm and feet in doing so, something that gives him a leg up on that third stringer.

Mason Rudolph isn’t anything special. At this point, neither is Kenny Pickett. Fortunately, Pickett has room to grow. Not sure how much he’ll grow under this coaching staff.

Mason Rudolph isn’t anything special. At this point, neither is Kenny Pickett. Fortunately, Pickett has room to grow. Not sure how much he’ll grow under this coaching staff.
Rudolph is what he is, which is to say an adequate backup QB. He's a FA after the season so he's as good as gone. Barring injury to Pickett or Trubisky there's no point even thinking about him.

If only we drafted Sam Howell.
The guy who couldnt beat out Taylor Heinicke for the starting job in Washington? Yes, if only lol

Please tell me your comment was tongue-in-cheek

The guy who couldnt beat out Taylor Heinicke for the starting job in Washington? Yes, if only lol

Heinicke is not that bad honestly. I would be more concerned about him not beating out Carson Wentz

You sure spend a lot of time knocking down Kenny and pumping up Rudolph. Probably time for you to let this mirage go. We won two games in a row largely with his ability to move the ball down the field. He uses his arm and feet in doing so, something that gives him a leg up on that third stringer.
Show me a single post where I pump Rudolph. All I have said is Rudolph outplayed Pickett in similar stages of their careers. Or I guess I have said perhaps we should have given Rudolph more of an opportunity. You know the exact thing I have said we should do for Pickett.

And we didn’t win the last two games because of Pickett and his total 381 yards and 1 td. We won because he threw 0 ints and our running game getting 326 yards and 2 tds and averaged 34+ minutes of time of possession.

And I am all for winning old school like that. Don’t put Pickett in positions to fail. Put the weight on the running game and defense.

This is where MR was at roughly the same point in his career.
This is where KP is.

You can hate on Rudolph all you want while looking like a fool talking up Pickett. Bottomline is KP is not having as good of a season as Rudolph's 2019. We will see how it all plays out but anyone with an ounce of football knowledge would be a little worried we wasted a first round pick at this point. Not saying KP is a bust just that each week he doesn't have a 100+ QB rating game is more cause for concern. bwt Rudolph had three in 2019.

Just because I have no hatred for Rudolph doesn't mean I don't want KP to succeed. I am just comparing the two and so far Rudolph is better.
Wow. I'm not sure if talking to a ******* wall might be more or less pointless than trying to reach this guy.

Anyway, let's revisit the very beginning of this abomination of a thread, back to your initial post, shall we? Here's their stats at that time:

Rudolph
83/130 897 yards 9 TDs 3 INTs
97.5 passer rating

Pickett
87/127 771 yards 2 TDs 7 INTs
66.8 passer rating

With your latest regurgitation of stats "at roughly the same point" of their careers, (before yesterday's game) their passer ratings stood with Rudolph at 82.9 and Pickett at 73.5.

Any fool can see that one number is plummeting, while the other is going higher. Any fool except you, that is.

Keep on posting these attempt updates -- it's not going to get any better for your boy from here. What's amusing is that you're too mind-numbingly dense to realize that you're disproving your own stupid argument over and over. Carry on.

Show me a single post where I pump Rudolph.
lol

Naw, you haven't been pimping Rudolph in this 18-page thread at all. Not one single bit. You are a comedic gem.

Here's just a few from pages one and two alone (I'm not going to bother with the other sixteen):

All I am saying is Rudolph got blasted and is hated by the simpletons on this board for no apparent reason.

Rudolph has been solid.

How about the perfect pass he threw to DJ but incongruously he stopped his route. Or the drive to win the game that Freiermuth fumbled to give the lions the ball back which would have been in FG for Boswell.

And since you obviously don't remember Rudolph was leading a game winning drive until Freiermuth fumbled on the Lions 38. In field goal range. Why not some hate for Muth?

Here's where it counts. Game on the line. Is Pickett going to be the next great QB for the Steelers or is he gonna fold and be average. This drive will say alot about him.
So far into KP’s short career he seems like a first half QB. Plays well on the script but after adjustments and scripted plays are over about 3-7 points per 2nd half…not a good sign. Still early in his career but awful in red zone and late game situations is definitely not a good sign.

Pretty sure he just forgot to hit the "sarcasm" button.

Salute the nation

lol

Naw, you haven't been pimping Rudolph in this 18-page thread at all. Not one single bit. You are a comedic gem.

Here's just a few from pages one and two alone (I'm not going to bother with the other sixteen):
That’s what you call pumping up someone? Saying they’re solid. Wow, “you showed me”. 😂 derp

So in other words, basically the same game plan for virtually every rookie qb ever? Astute observation there 😂 lol… the NFL game is drastically different than the college game… every year the drafniks declare certain qbs as NFL ready and they are almost never nfl ready unless they are used as a pure game manager type… peyton Manning was THE MOST nfl ready qb ever, and his first season was a mess… groomed all his life by his nfl qb dad… still took a year to figure out timing and reads… now take a guy like Landry Jones… that dude was tge least nfl ready qb ever… took him two seasons just to get to a place they felt comfortable with him even doing mop up duty… he was like 27 when he got to where pickett was starting his career…

We have no clue what Pickett will be… too early… but he does have some of the advanced stuff down… because whipple was his OC in college…

Mason Rudolph did get unreasonably **** on here, but he also sat a year as a third string guy and learned the playbook and timing and all sorts of stuff before actually playing..

I will keep bringing up that the statistical performance of a true rookie QB is utterly meaningless to their long term performance.. tgere just isn’t any correlation…

Marcus Mariota had the 9th best rookie passer rating of all time… you saw that bum yesterday…

So in other words, basically the same game plan for virtually every rookie qb ever? Astute observation there 😂 lol… the NFL game is drastically different than the college game… every year the drafniks declare certain qbs as NFL ready and they are almost never nfl ready unless they are used as a pure game manager type… peyton Manning was THE MOST nfl ready qb ever, and his first season was a mess… groomed all his life by his nfl qb dad… still took a year to figure out timing and reads… now take a guy like Landry Jones… that dude was tge least nfl ready qb ever… took him two seasons just to get to a place they felt comfortable with him even doing mop up duty… he was like 27 when he got to where pickett was starting his career…

We have no clue what Pickett will be… too early… but he does have some of the advanced stuff down… because whipple was his OC in college…

Mason Rudolph did get unreasonably **** on here, but he also sat a year as a third string guy and learned the playbook and timing and all sorts of stuff before actually playing..

I will keep bringing up that the statistical performance of a true rookie QB is utterly meaningless to their long term performance.. tgere just isn’t any correlation…

Marcus Mariota had the 9th best rookie passer rating of all time… you saw that bum yesterday…
I agree it is the smart way to bring along a QB and I am glad we aren't trying to have him sling the ball 40 times a game. The goal should be less than 30 with 30 or more runs. That is a winning formula as we have seen the last two weeks... albeit vs the Colts and Falcons. But our schedule isn't too bad the rest of the way. Ravens next week just got a helluva lot easier to beat. And if Watson keeps playing the way he did last week the Browns are easily beatable as well. The Raiders and Panthers are already beatable. So lets see if we can string some wins together.

I agree. We have no clue what Pickett will be. And the last three weeks he has improved from a very worrisome first round pick to showing some signs of the game slowing a little for him. Which is huge because a month ago he was missing every big play and when he took a shot downfield it was always into double coverage. That is a big sign of development. And from all accounts he has been studying film and the playbook religiously which again is a great sign that he is committed to becoming a better player. You can't teach a work ethic. Guys like JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith all had million dollar arms and talent. Just not an ounce of commitment.

You can make that argument that he had a better understanding of the playbook sitting a year but I can make the argument as he was never supposed to start that Ben got the vast majority of reps in training camp and preseason before getting injured while Pickett got his more than fair share as it was an "open" competition. Third string QB's don't get a ton of reps and usually are playing on the scout team.

I will keep arguing it is a valid correlation to a QB's future. What QB drafted in the last 15 years played like crap as a rookie that has gone off and become an all pro? I am not talking they need to throw for 30 tds and 5 picks. But account for more tds than picks? I know Josh Allen has been thrown out there but he was 10/12 so not too far off and was known to be the most upsided QB in that draft with the lowest floor. The good news is if KP can continue on this route and maybe see a few more big plays downfield he can finish the season at that positive TD to INT ratio.

Guys regress all the time. Early success does not guarantee forever success. Baker Mayfield, Carson Wentz, Mariota, Robert Griffen etc all showed promise early but they plateaued or regressed later on. Some due to schematically defenses figuring out what to do and part because the QB failed go continue to grow. Usually because the above mentioned work ethic.

So far into KP’s short career he seems like a first half QB. Plays well on the script but after adjustments and scripted plays are over about 3-7 points per 2nd half…not a good sign. Still early in his career but awful in red zone and late game situations is definitely not a good sign.
So, you wouldn't consider the 75-yard drive that gave the Steelers a 7-point lead after they were trailing 17-16 against the Colts (where KP was 5 for 7 for 35 yards plus the 2-point conversion), which ended with under 10 minutes in regulation, to be a "late game situation," then?

That’s what you call pumping up someone? Saying they’re solid. Wow, “you showed me”. 😂 derp
Yeah, stupid. It's pumping someone up to say that he's solid, when he isn't.

I miss Ben already. With Ben from last year we probs have at least 3 more wins this year

Last edited:
I miss Ben already. With Ben from last year we probs have at least 3 more wins this year
All good things must come to an end. Weather the storm eventually things will be sunny and bright and all that ****.

All good things must come to an end. Weather the storm eventually things will be sunny and bright and all that ****.
Everybody has to to play a first game, a first season. Otherwise we'd have a 75 year old Terry Bradshaw at QB.

He would have been killed already with this Oline, he wouldn't have lasted until the bye.