• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rudolph vs Pickett

Such rose colored glasses. Do you really think it is KP or just perhaps Najee and the running game stepped it up the last few weeks?
It is both, Kenny has steadily progressed and is becoming very good under pressure. Just like Ben was, he is now being helped by a better running game(not yet ready to call it good) and better play calling(some of the time). Ben wasn't carrying anybody on his back the first season. He had a great team around him. Kenny isn't carrying the team either but he is growing and that is something Mitch wasn't doing. Mason may have but like I said he is damaged good here now because of stupidity, he also is not as mobile as Kenny. I do think, to many others disagreement, Mason could have eeked out a few more wins but that isn't in our best long term interest.

1. Refresh my memory, what string were the guys Rudolph was competing against? I seem to remember Mitch getting a majority of the 1st string snaps in the preseason games. As far as camp, I wasn't there. However, I don't see Tomlin risking a winning season if he thought Rudolph was the guy to take them there. IF Rudolph was the best option in the coaches' eyes, he would have been the starter. More likely, they knew what they had in Rudolph and weren't impressed.

2. Oh, Mitch knew that Kenny would be the guy at 1:20 if he was available.
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...eelers-nfl-espn-mitch-trubisky-kenny-pickett/
And if Mitch knew, you just have to realize that Mason knew too.

3. I don't think Haskins passing had any effect on the draft plans. If you remember, Colbert was criss crossing the country last Fall scouting the top QBs entering the draft in 2022. More likely they were hell bent on taking a QB and Haskins and Rudolph would have been battling it out for a roster spot.
1. Read any article on training camp. Rudolph outperformed the competition. As far as Tomlin, he wouldn't be able to develop or judge talent if it bit him in the ***.

When asked point blank if he knew they were going to draft he said they didn't.

3. I really don't know but if I were to bet I would say it at least in some degree changed the draft for them. I just can't believe it wouldn't.

It is both, Kenny has steadily progressed and is becoming very good under pressure. Just like Ben was, he is now being helped by a better running game(not yet ready to call it good) and better play calling(some of the time). Ben wasn't carrying anybody on his back the first season. He had a great team around him. Kenny isn't carrying the team either but he is growing and that is something Mitch wasn't doing. Mason may have but like I said he is damaged good here now because of stupidity, he also is not as mobile as Kenny. I do think, to many others disagreement, Mason could have eeked out a few more wins but that isn't in our best long term interest.
What I see is Pickett hasn't made the stupid mistakes he made early. Kudos to him. But what I have really seen is his attempts have really come down. I mean 40+ attempts is just too many for him. Last two weeks 28. Rushing yards 154 & 172. That is the formula for success.

1. Read any article on training camp. Rudolph outperformed the competition. As far as Tomlin, he wouldn't be able to develop or judge talent if it bit him in the ***.

When asked point blank if he knew they were going to draft he said they didn't.

3. I really don't know but if I were to bet I would say it at least in some degree changed the draft for them. I just can't believe it wouldn't.

So, Trubisky didn't know when he was signed. But, he was told after he signed (see article above) and, by his own words, he knew it was a possibility (drafting a QB) wherever he signed next. Trubisky is not an idiot.
As for the draft, I guess we won't know until Colbert writes his book.
Reporters are not coaches. It's possible that they were looking for different aspects of QB play. Tomlin and Canada both stated that mobility at the position would be key for them this year. Rudolph is not mobile. Shoot, the way Mitch, and later KP, were being "protected" by the line earlier in the year, Rudolph should be happy he wasn't starting.

2. Again, he likely didn't think he would compete against the hometown hero in Pickett.
Whether it was Pickett or some other rookie, Trubisky would've had to be very naïve to believe the Steelers were going to at least consider drafting a QB high this year. They didn't hide the fact they were checking out all the top QBs.

What I see is Pickett hasn't made the stupid mistakes he made early. Kudos to him. But what I have really seen is his attempts have really come down. I mean 40+ attempts is just too many for him. Last two weeks 28. Rushing yards 154 & 172. That is the formula for success.
Sure it is and you are correct. That doesn't mean he isn't doing more and progressing in his play. We would have been more successful last year with Ben doing the same thing. Not sure how any of this has any bearing on Kenny's aptitude.

Such rose colored glasses. Do you really think it is KP or just perhaps Najee and the running game stepped it up the last few weeks?
Both.
All of this is fair.
Except for Pickett being handed the job. He had a solid preseason and still started as a backup. Beat out Rudy then when Mitch stumbled, Kenny took over. That is the opposite of getting handed the job.

And he is off on thinking Rudy didn't get a fair chance. He didn't overall in his stay in Pittsburgh show enough to think he was a long term answer. He was a third round experiment that proves to be not good enough along the way.

Bottom line of all this is the steelers never thought KP would be there at #20.

Everyone was sure CAR, ATL, or NO would take him.

Once he was available, all "competitions", contracts, or otherwise were rendered moot.
He gave Mitch the starts to be "fair", but every1 knew by season's end, it would be KP in place.

Tomlin likes KP. He saw him all the time and knew what he was getting.

Manning didn't have a horrible start to his career. Being a rookie and being 3rd in yards behind Brett Favre and Steve Young is not horrible. Being 5th in TD's behind Young, Cunningham (Randy Moss, Chris Carter and Jake Reed), Brett Favre and Vinny Testaverde isn't horrible. Yes, he led the NFL in interceptions but was only 5 from Favre. Making the comparison to Manning is asinine. I mean if I was to compare a recently retired QB's rookie season to Pickett's I would say Alex Smith would be the best comparison out there.
Right, if Manning had a horrible rookie year, then Pickett is having a horrendous one.

So after 9 games, The Great Peyton Manning,

(who, mind you, had been named the starter in preseason and didn’t get hurt, so he played virtually a full game of time more than Pickett due to replacing Mitch midgame and leaving one to injuries)

Was 183 of 334 for 2013 yards…with 12 passing tds, no rushing tds, and 18 picks… thats a 54% completion percentage and a rate of 62 and a ypa of 6….

Fact is Pickett is/might be Steeler's future. That is why they spent their first round pick on him. They have decided to move forward with him. Tribisky was always just a stopgap until they felt comfortable moving forward with Pickett. Tribisky's play was subpar. Management probably figured we might as well move forward with our potential future. In my opinion, it was the right move.

So after 9 games, The Great Peyton Manning,

(who, mind you, had been named the starter in preseason and didn’t get hurt, so he played virtually a full game of time more than Pickett due to replacing Mitch midgame and leaving one to injuries)

Was 183 of 334 for 2013 yards…with 12 passing tds, no rushing tds, and 18 picks… thats a 54% completion percentage and a rate of 62 and a ypa of 6….
So you are comparing Pickett to Manning the Hall of Famer?

/FordFairLane

Bottom line of all this is the steelers never thought KP would be there at #20.

Everyone was sure CAR, ATL, or NO would take him.

Once he was available, all "competitions", contracts, or otherwise were rendered moot.
He gave Mitch the starts to be "fair", but every1 knew by season's end, it would be KP in place.

Tomlin likes KP. He saw him all the time and knew what he was getting.
Steelers tried to trade up to get Pickett but it didn't work out for them... fortunately.

Steelers tried to trade up to get Pickett but it didn't work out for them... fortunately.

Agreed, hind-sight is 20/20 and I'm sure glad we didn't trade multiple picks to move up to get what we got in the original draft pick position.

Could turn out he may have been worth moving up for but as is that would mean we got GREAT value for where we got him.

Salute the nation

Right. Colbert was notorious for trying to force a pick.

No, the rose colored classes wearing Steelers an Panthers fans have concluded that. The people who can actually separate feelings and emotions and have rational thoughts have concluded Pickett is struggling.
"Rose colored classes"? You asked me point-blank several times about how Pickett was playing in his early games at the time, and I told you that I thought it was shltty.
Remember that, Hoss?

People who can separate their undying man-crushes on Mason Rudolph from reality can see that Pickett is playing better over the last three games than their hero has over the complete path of his career. And if they can't/won't see/admit it, they can always turn to the passer rating category they like so much for the statistical evidence.

I mean his best games the last three weeks are the type of games that got Mitch benched. Now I am not saying that isn't an improvement from how he started off. I am just stating facts. More facts are KP's highest QB Rating is 90.9. Highest. Rudolph has posted 92.4, 124.6, 100.2, and 104.0.
Once again, you're just wrong. In Pickett's last three games, his passer ratings were 85.9, 87.5, and 90.9. Trubisky's first three games were 78.2, 73.8, and 81.1. Then what actually got Mitch benched was his first half performance against the Jets, where he compiled a 41.8 rating. Not the same at all.

Rudolph's career passer rating (which you continue to choose to ignore) is 80.9. You highlighting his best games doesn't prove dick; it simply shows how completely horrendous he's been during the rest of his time on the field, in order to drag his overall number down towards 80.

For a guy who supposedly loves "facts," you're amazingly biased and full of ****.

1. Rudolph signed his extension in April, 2021. He knew at that time that he was the only QB signed to the team in 2022. If he thought the Steelers, or any other team, would go into a season with only 1 QB on the roster, he's an idiot. If someone had to tell him that he would have to compete for the job, he's an idiot. If he needed to be told that the Steelers would most likely draft a QB at a premium draft slot if one was available that they liked, he's an idiot. The Steelers', front office and coaches, responsibility is to get the best players possible on their roster. And if Mason Rudolph doesn't/didn't know that, he's an idiot.

2. Trubisky knew when he signed that he would be competing for a starting job. He was also specifically told that if KP was available at 1:20, they would pick him. So, all of the above hold true for Trubisky also.

3. I wish Mason Rudolph well in the next phase of his life. Once a Steeler, always a Steeler. After this year, he has a chance to prove that Tomlin, the coaches, fans, etc. were wrong about him. I don't see it happening. But, good luck!
2. I’d be more likely to call BS on this one. I doubt the FO had any conversation similar to this beyond we are planning on taking a QB in this draft. To say that the FO would approach ANY player predraft and say if said player is available at said pick we’re drafting him…but hey maybe our FO is the dumbest in the league.

Please cite some sources for this conversation

2. I’d be more likely to call BS on this one. I doubt the FO had any conversation similar to this beyond we are planning on taking a QB in this draft. To say that the FO would approach ANY player predraft and say if said player is available at said pick we’re drafting him…but hey maybe our FO is the dumbest in the league.

In general your franchise QB retires unless you are a franchise QB yourself, (neither are) they should be aware that the possibility exists they will draft a QB high. Nothing should be needed to be said. It should be expected as a possibility. Neither QB was setting the league on fire or even considered a steady Eddie. Both had been replaced in one way or another for bad play. It really shouldn't have been a mystery theater.

I guess it's possible you just read my response and immediately went into "I call BS" mode without reading any further in the thread. If you had read further in the thread, you would have seen the post where I "cited" this article.
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...eelers-nfl-espn-mitch-trubisky-kenny-pickett/
There's your "citation" (Don't be Bob ... smh).

I guess it's possible you just read my response and immediately went into "I call BS" mode without reading any further in the thread. If you had read further in the thread, you would have seen the post where I "cited" this article.
There's your "citation" (Don't be Bob ... smh).
Hey not sure how I missed that other than pre coffee, but sincerely thanks for posting the source

And it does in fact not say anything about telling him that if KP was there he was the pick…so my calling BS on that assertion was correct

The article states he was informed it was a strong possibility a QB would be taken in the draft:..NOT “if KP is there we’re taking HIM” or a mention of round

So our FO thankfully isn’t that big of morons…but a blind squirrel could tell we’d take a QB at some point

In general your franchise QB retires unless you are a franchise QB yourself, (neither are) they should be aware that the possibility exists they will draft a QB high. Nothing should be needed to be said. It should be expected as a possibility. Neither QB was setting the league on fire or even considered a steady Eddie. Both had been replaced in one way or another for bad play. It really shouldn't have been a mystery theater.
Exactly Slash

That they had to approach Mitch and give a heads up that a QB selection was a possibility makes me wonder how bright Mitch is…seemed very obvious

Exactly Slash

That they had to approach Mitch and give a heads up that a QB selection was a possibility makes me wonder how bright Mitch is…seemed very obvious
Maybe he knew it was a possibility and they just were being courteous. But yeah everyone and their mother should have known that the team probably was going to add a QB at some point in the draft. Come round 1 their top choice is sitting there. They probably viewed that as their perfect scenerio.