• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rudolph vs Pickett

The Daily Shot on DK sports said that Rudolf will be out of here so fast, at the end of the season.

Can’t blame Rudy as I’d like to see him do as good as he can because here he won ‘t get a chance and for good reason.

Salute the nation

After that 3 pick game last week I don’t see how if Pickett can’t go that Rudolph doesn’t get the nod.

After that 3 pick game last week I don’t see how if Pickett can’t go that Rudolph doesn’t get the nod.
1 pick was really bad, one pick was a toss up (also bad play design and QB eyes), and other pick was just poor play design and a bit of tunnel vision by the QB. To go more in depth the first pick PF looked open. If he was the first read Mitch looked that way and he was open. The play design led another CB right into the throw. I think a lot of QBs would have missed that. 2nd pick was just awful and no QB should ever throw that 0 excuse for that one. Last pick was a deep ball and Mitch failed to look the safety off and at least make him hesitate. Another issue was someone (maybe Ben) commented that there should have been another route on the other side to make it harder for the safety. Pickens should also be getting those balls and not DJ. Not sure how many fades or deep shots they try to throw to DJ instead of Pickens. Lots of blame to go around on the 3rd int. I think Mitch played better than his stat line, but you can just not make those mistakes and turn the ball over. The offense looked great till we got close then imploded. I would definitely understand Mason starting, but I would not be surprised at all if they gave Mitch another shot. If I was the coach I would give Mitch the start, but be on a short leash. If you turn the ball over you are out unless something flukey happens.

That’s an easy one…….

Rudolf is gone after the season is over, no question about that.

Mitch is being PAID 7 million to be here and he will be here next season as well.

There is NO reason to start red-nose, none at all.

There is reason to start Mitch, not just because he is getting paid, but also because he will be here next year.

There is absolutely NO trade value in Rudolf.

Salute the nation

That’s an easy one…….

Rudolf is gone after the season is over, no question about that.

Mitch is being PAID 7 million to be here and he will be here next season as well.

There is NO reason to start red-nose, none at all.

There is reason to start Mitch, not just because he is getting paid, but also because he will be here next year.

There is absolutely NO trade value in Rudolf.

Salute the nation
You think Mitch is going to be here next year? Rudolph is on the first flight out of town January 8th. Trubisky isn’t going to be too far behind him. Not going to pay 8 million on a backup.

I would say if Tomlin wants to win a game then he should probably consider it.

We can’t trade Rudolph, he’s a free agent.

Guess we’ll have to wait and see. It’s a no win situation for the Steelers if Rudolph has a great game. If he looks good then people will say he should start vs the Raiders. If he throws together two good games and we win people will ask why he didn’t start from the beginning. If he wins all four we still don’t make the playoffs, Tomlin gets his above .500 season, our draft pick is worse, and the fan base has to come to grips that maybe Rudolph never had a fair opportunity this last summer.
If he loses then we lose to the poop panthers team.
Is there a possible scenario in there that Mason Rudolph doesn't play well?

You think Mitch is going to be here next year? Rudolph is on the first flight out of town January 8th. Trubisky isn’t going to be too far behind him. Not going to pay 8 million on a backup.

I would say if Tomlin wants to win a game then he should probably consider it.

We can’t trade Rudolph, he’s a free agent.

There will be a re-work on Mitch’s contract and yes it’s more likely than not that he is here next year.

Rudolf is a FA after the season is over, my no trade value was more meant in the current state of things (while he is still on the team).

Salute the nation

Is there a possible scenario in there that Mason Rudolph doesn't play well?
Read the last sentence.

Guess we’ll have to wait and see. It’s a no win situation for the Steelers if Rudolph has a great game. If he looks good then people will say he should start vs the Raiders. If he throws together two good games and we win people will ask why he didn’t start from the beginning. If he wins all four we still don’t make the playoffs, Tomlin gets his above .500 season, our draft pick is worse, and the fan base has to come to grips that maybe Rudolph never had a fair opportunity this last summer.
If he loses then we lose to the poop panthers team.

There will be a re-work on Mitch’s contract and yes it’s more likely than not that he is here next year.

Rudolf is a FA after the season is over, my no trade value was more meant in the current state of things (while he is still on the team).

Salute the nation
Yeah I see Mitch here unless he forces his way out. Not sure he will take that approach. Easier probably to upgrade positions that need it around him anyways than to cut the guy. I would think a rework of his contract would be an easy do.

Salute the nation
I see the ONLY possible way Mitch comes back is if we pay him every last cent of that contract and he swallows his pride. I don’t think the Steelers want to pay him 8 million to be the backup and I don’t think Mitch wants to stay HERE as the backup. I think people underestimate how poorly Tomlin and the front office handled this last offseason.

I see the ONLY possible way Mitch comes back is if we pay him every last cent of that contract and he swallows his pride. I don’t think the Steelers want to pay him 8 million to be the backup and I don’t think Mitch wants to stay HERE as the backup. I think people underestimate how poorly Tomlin and the front office handled this last offseason.
It was only handled very poorly in your mind. The steelers do not value Rudolph and needed a starter. Mitch was available and we grabbed him. No one expected Pickett to be available when we picked. The Steelers liked him and saw him as a potential Ben replacement. Mitch was just a stop gap and Rudy had enough chances to impress. Once Pickett fell there was not much chance of us passing on him. I would have been fine w/ not bringing in Mitch, but we would have needed to add another vet QB anyway and we would have still taken Pickett. Sure we could have skipped over Pickett, but he was considered a first round guy and if the team believed in him they had to pull the trigger there. Your weird obsession with Rudolph is clouding your judgement on everything.

I still don’t understand why people can’t get it through their heads, Free Agency is about addressing issues after the season, for the upcoming season and beyond. The Draft is for the future. You always address what you can in Free Agency, as the draft is an unknown opportunity. They would have looked extremely foolish to just sit on their hands and do nothing.

Time will tell. Neither of us can predict the future and there is valid point on pay. DK Daily Shot the other day said he expects Mitch to be back, but also realize it’s just an opinion.

EDIT: DK also said the money is reasonable for an experienced back up, take it for what it’s worth

Salute the nation

Last edited:
It was only handled very poorly in your mind. The steelers do not value Rudolph and needed a starter. Mitch was available and we grabbed him. No one expected Pickett to be available when we picked. The Steelers liked him and saw him as a potential Ben replacement. Mitch was just a stop gap and Rudy had enough chances to impress. Once Pickett fell there was not much chance of us passing on him. I would have been fine w/ not bringing in Mitch, but we would have needed to add another vet QB anyway and we would have still taken Pickett. Sure we could have skipped over Pickett, but he was considered a first round guy and if the team believed in him they had to pull the trigger there. Your weird obsession with Rudolph is clouding your judgement on everything.
Dude, I have read multiple articles detailing how poorly and shady the Steelers were on their handling of this situation. And there’s lots of members in this very forum that have stated the same thing. So no. Not just me.

I would say the majority of draft experts expected Pickett would be there at 20.

I don’t believe the Steelers sale pitch to Mitch was, “you are a stop gap” and if you believe Rudolph has had enough of an opportunity then so has Pickett. And I guess the Steelers should look for a new QB again next year.

If I have an obsession with Rudolph then you definitely do with Pickett. My obsession states we never gave him an opportunity to be the guy. He was forced into the lineup his second season and since then had two spot starts. A total of 10. Pickett has had 9 to date. Now I don’t think we should give up on Pickett because he hasn’t had a fair opportunity either. But that doesn’t negate the fact that Rudolph didn’t get a chance either. And by his statements he has made it very clear he does not care for Tomlin or this organization after the way they handled everything. He could have just as easily went into free agency last year. But I am sure promises were made at a wide open QB competition. Probably the same promises that they sold Trubisky on. Then they reach on the hometown hero in the draft and thrust him into action too early and keep him in the lineup after 🐴 💩 play. Now due to injury and Mitch’s 3 pick performance Tomlin makes a feeble attempt to stroke Rudolph’s ego but Rudolph was quick to shoot it down. Meaning there’s no way he comes back.

Time will tell. Neither of us can predict the future and there is valid point on pay. DK Daily Shot the other day said he expects Mitch to be back, but also realize it’s just an opinion.

EDIT: DK also said the money is reasonable for an experienced back up, take it for what it’s worth

Salute the nation
I agree time will tell. I don’t know the future. But there’s nothing wrong with making a prediction. DK opinion isn’t far off then from mine if he agrees that if Mitch comes back it’s for the full contract amount. I just personally think he is forgetting the pride factor. These guys are competitors and Mitch probably came on the premise of having a fair shot. He might still have that desire to have a shot at starting. There’s going to be a half a dozen place’s this offseason he can get that. Hell, he could go to the cardinals and likely get to start until sometime into November or December. Maybe we should ship him there for a late round pick.

Dude, I have read multiple articles detailing how poorly and shady the Steelers were on their handling of this situation. And there’s lots of members in this very forum that have stated the same thing. So no. Not just me.

I would say the majority of draft experts expected Pickett would be there at 20.

I don’t believe the Steelers sale pitch to Mitch was, “you are a stop gap” and if you believe Rudolph has had enough of an opportunity then so has Pickett. And I guess the Steelers should look for a new QB again next year.

If I have an obsession with Rudolph then you definitely do with Pickett. My obsession states we never gave him an opportunity to be the guy. He was forced into the lineup his second season and since then had two spot starts. A total of 10. Pickett has had 9 to date. Now I don’t think we should give up on Pickett because he hasn’t had a fair opportunity either. But that doesn’t negate the fact that Rudolph didn’t get a chance either. And by his statements he has made it very clear he does not care for Tomlin or this organization after the way they handled everything. He could have just as easily went into free agency last year. But I am sure promises were made at a wide open QB competition. Probably the same promises that they sold Trubisky on. Then they reach on the hometown hero in the draft and thrust him into action too early and keep him in the lineup after 🐴 💩 play. Now due to injury and Mitch’s 3 pick performance Tomlin makes a feeble attempt to stroke Rudolph’s ego but Rudolph was quick to shoot it down. Meaning there’s no way he comes back.
Sure. Rudy was never given a fair shake at the starting job. He was given a chance to play regularly when Ben went down early in the season a few years ago though. Probably on a better team than we are now. As far as our pitch to Tribisky. I am sure we didn't tell him he is our future. He signed a team-friendly prove-it type of contract so if he lit it up he could get another larger contract within a few years. If Tribisky or his agent didn't think there was a strong possibility that Steelers would go QB then they were idiots. Tomlin handled our entire QB situation badly. It is what it is.

Sure. Rudy was never given a fair shake at the starting job. He was given a chance to play regularly when Ben went down early in the season a few years ago though. Probably on a better team than we are now. As far as our pitch to Tribisky. I am sure we didn't tell him he is our future. He signed a team-friendly prove-it type of contract so if he lit it up he could get another larger contract within a few years. If Tribisky or his agent didn't think there was a strong possibility that Steelers would go QB then they were idiots. Tomlin handled our entire QB situation badly. It is what it is.
Then Pickett has been given the same opportunity and we should move on from him this offseason.

“Probably” a worse team. An 0-2 start with Roethlisberger. No AB, rookie DJ being the #1 receiver with Old McDonald being our TE and never had a thousand yard season James Conner leading the team with 464 yards followed by Snell at 426. We barely had a thousand yards rushing as a team.

I don’t think they didn’t say that. I bet it was closer to you are our guy and your competition is Mason Rudolph and perhaps a draft pick. Not if you don’t have success in the first 3+ games you’re being benched. And I don’t think when they extended Rudolph last year they said they would draft a Qb round one. They probably said this is Roethlisberger’s last year and we will have an open competition. They did not have an open competition. I guess 5 million isn’t a horrible consultation prize but if you think Rudolph didn’t take a discount on his deal you are delusional. I bet he gets 5+ million even next year after being the 3rd stringer here.

So during the draft last year I had Pickett, Howell, and Ridder all pretty close in rating. I know there was a lot of talk about Willis but imo he wasn’t even close to the passer of the rest. But this will be the closest litmus test to compare Pickett to. Atlanta doesn’t have much in terms of weapons especially with Pitts on IR so it will definitely be a challenge. But I will be curious to see how Ridder does.

DJ wants to see Rudolph start…

So during the draft last year I had Pickett, Howell, and Ridder all pretty close in rating. I know there was a lot of talk about Willis but imo he wasn’t even close to the passer of the rest. But this will be the closest litmus test to compare Pickett to. Atlanta doesn’t have much in terms of weapons especially with Pitts on IR so it will definitely be a challenge. But I will be curious to see how Ridder does.
Right or wrong Rudy wasn't given a fair shake has nothing to do with Pickett getting one now. 🙄

Right or wrong Rudy wasn't given a fair shake has nothing to do with Pickett getting one now. 🙄

I agree.

I don't see the point in even asking him that question. It's not his decision to make. I think Rowntree is looking to stir up trouble in an effort to get a reaction out of Trubisky and get another story.
I can definitely see that being his objective. But what is DJ’s motivation for saying it? I mean if you are going to be PC he could have just said something about all the QB’s being phenomenal and any of them can get the job done blah, blah, blah.