• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rudolph vs Pickett

Time to trigger the simpletons

Time to trigger the simpletons

They really should have traded him when they had tge chance… i mean i was on board with them holding out for a second rounder at the time too, but now even if he goes in and does well it just hurts our draft position…

The big mistake was signing Trabisky.. waste of cap space.. they should have just planned to play out the season with Rudolph and Haskins and Dobbs.. though I guess that probably would have meant overpaying to move up for pickett like they do when they think they have a need.. i mean they almost did anyhow… not rolling with Rudolph was almost certainly a PR move because the fans don’t like him…

They really should have traded him when they had tge chance… i mean i was on board with them holding out for a second rounder at the time too, but now even if he goes in and does well it just hurts our draft position…

The big mistake was signing Trabisky.. waste of cap space.. they should have just planned to play out the season with Rudolph and Haskins and Dobbs.. though I guess that probably would have meant overpaying to move up for pickett like they do when they think they have a need.. i mean they almost did anyhow… not rolling with Rudolph was almost certainly a PR move because the fans don’t like him…
Right. I think you either plan on drafting a QB or signing a free agent. Not both. If Rudolph would come in and play good it might help with our 2024 comp pick at least.

I'll gladly admit I had false hope that Trubisky learned a few things in Buffalo and was going to perform better here. Things weren't going to be great with mediocre Mason, but it would've saved cap space as you said.

I'll gladly admit I had false hope that Trubisky learned a few things in Buffalo and was going to perform better here. Things weren't going to be great with mediocre Mason, but it would've saved cap space as you said.
They took a gamble it didn't work out. I still don't view stocking the kitchen as a bad thing. One would hope that a look see would work but with mediocre Mason it was better to try and fail than to never try at all. Thankfully they kept stocking the pantry. With more stable coaching and lines I have no doubt we would have seen better results.

Right. I think you either plan on drafting a QB or signing a free agent. Not both. If Rudolph would come in and play good it might help with our 2024 comp pick at least.
It has been said that they didn't think Pickett would be there when they drafted....hence they tried to move up to grab him. So they signed Tribisky.

It has been said that they didn't think Pickett would be there when they drafted....hence they tried to move up to grab him. So they signed Tribisky.
I guess I still can’t and honestly hope it’s bs that they had Pickett that high in the weakest draft class in 20 years.

I guess I still can’t and honestly hope it’s bs that they had Pickett that high in the weakest draft class in 20 years.
I hear you. That said. I am ok where they got him. Would have hated it if they traded up where they say they were trying to.

There is no way I can tell if ”Fighting” Pickett is franchise or not. The offensive scheme doesn’t allow a very good read on what we’ve got.

I just hope Kenny doesn’t injure himself right out of the league.

Salute the nation

There is no way I can tell if ”Fighting” Pickett is franchise or not. The offensive scheme doesn’t allow a very good read on what we’ve got.

I just hope Kenny doesn’t injure himself right out of the league.

Salute the nation
Meh in his second season Ben took a car to the face and ended up ok in the long run….

Im not sure you can say that with 2015, 2013, and 2007 on the table…
It’s early but I remember last winter that this draft class would be lucky to produce one starter. Obviously have to revisit in 3 years.

Why did Pickett get hurt?

Perhaps lousy O line play again, not protecting your QB?

Until the front office hires a quality O line coach and offensive coordinator AND we draft quality O lineman we will continue to see more of this.

Guess we’ll have to wait and see. It’s a no win situation for the Steelers if Rudolph has a great game. If he looks good then people will say he should start vs the Raiders. If he throws together two good games and we win people will ask why he didn’t start from the beginning. If he wins all four we still don’t make the playoffs, Tomlin gets his above .500 season, our draft pick is worse, and the fan base has to come to grips that maybe Rudolph never had a fair opportunity this last summer.
If he loses then we lose to the poop panthers team.

😅

I know it's all speculative, but I just can't see any scenario in which Rudy comes in and just balls out. No QB has under this OC including Big Ben. Why would Rudy be any different?

Last edited:
I know it's all speculative, but I just can't see any scenario in which Rudy comes in and just balls out. No QB has under this OC including Big Ben. Why would Rudy be any different?
That Detroit showing did him no favors. Plus who knows what they have seen behind close doors. Obviously they saw not good enough.

The one thing I liked about Rudolph this preseason was he consistently found the single coverage downfield. I see Pickens singled up a half dozen times on go routes each game and we might take 1 shot at him. People can blame Canada all they want but that’s on the quarterback. There’s too many predetermined short passes decisions coming from the QB. I’m not saying you need to take all 6 shots down field because it is risky. But I don’t see why they don’t take 2 or 3. And I definitely wouldn’t be tossing it up to DJ with a double deep safety like Mitch did. That alone should get him benched.

I don’t see the point in playing Rudolph much like I don’t see the point in playing Benny Snell. Nothing against Snell, but unless it’s short yardage and Najee is out, Warren is more of a weapon. Why is Snell suddenly getting reps? Seems like Tomlin is making personnel decisions apropos of nothing.

I don’t see the point in playing Rudolph much like I don’t see the point in playing Benny Snell. Nothing against Snell, but unless it’s short yardage and Najee is out, Warren is more of a weapon. Why is Snell suddenly getting reps? Seems like Tomlin is making personnel decisions apropos of nothing.
First losing season panic reaction.

Well----if you want to take something positive out of Mitch's poor performance Sunday...

It absolutely killed any QB controversy for the rest of the season..

Unless....Rudy gets the call Sunday and lights it up.....Hmmm?

I would love for this to happen, finish the year out with Rudy 1- 2. Will 6 wins keep us in the top 10 draft position ?

Salute the nation