• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rudolph vs Pickett

He’s from there
They need a QB and (will likely draft Levis)
Gotta have someone to compete
Heavy run based system if Wilkes stays-matches Rudy’s skill set well

Was thinking the same thing, but not sure if he wants to be the bridge guy for another rookie first rounder
That in there lies the risk of signing before the draft to a team that probably picks top 10. It might be more prudent to sign with a team like the Cardinals that will need a QB for September, October and November and then give way to Murray but at least have had the chance to start. If he does well someone else would sign him to start in 2024. If he doesn’t do good he would likely bounce around as a backup for the rest of his career. But at least he’d have had the opportunity.

My hope is that the line gets shored up through FA and the draft and this doesn't happen.
OL was bad last year too and they made minimal improvement this year. Deuce and Khan will have to tell Shades to eff off when he wants to draft another speedy undersized oft-injured LB and we're drafting OL instead.

OL was bad last year too and they made minimal improvement this year. Deuce and Khan will have to tell Shades to eff off when he wants to draft another speedy undersized oft-injured LB and we're drafting OL instead.
I hope Weidl is going to be an asset in building the Steelers. He's coming from the Eagles where they had a similar situation of a rookie QB with an underwhelming season before building the team into the best in the NFC. The Eagles have a top-5 offensive line in the league, drafted a stud wide receiver, then capitalized draft picks to make a move for another stud in AJ Brown. Factor in the new coaching staff and the Eagles are on top.

This front office also has some cleanup work to do with the Steelers trying to get one last hurrah out of Roethlisberger at the end rather than shifting the focus to build to the future. It's one of the reasons I was disappointed Colbert was still on board for the draft this spring. Given an in-house promotion, the reins should've been handed over.

I hope Weidl is going to be an asset in building the Steelers. He's coming from the Eagles where they had a similar situation of a rookie QB with an underwhelming season before building the team into the best in the NFC. The Eagles have a top-5 offensive line in the league, drafted a stud wide receiver, then capitalized draft picks to make a move for another stud in AJ Brown. Factor in the new coaching staff and the Eagles are on top.

This front office also has some cleanup work to do with the Steelers trying to get one last hurrah out of Roethlisberger at the end rather than shifting the focus to build to the future. It's one of the reasons I was disappointed Colbert was still on board for the draft this spring. Given an in-house promotion, the reins should've been handed over.
Yeah but the difference is the Eagles isn't a franchise that harbors and tolerates inept and ineffective coaching because of the color of their skin. And let's face it, Colbert was over-rated and Omar Khan is arguably worse.

For us to improve at this point, it would literally take a complete and total overhaul of the entire franchise. Does Rooney seem like the kind of guy who is going to let that happen? Nope .. let's continue being cheap ***** who promote complete and total idiots.

Yeah but the difference is the Eagles isn't a franchise that harbors and tolerates inept and ineffective coaching because of the color of their skin. And let's face it, Colbert was over-rated and Omar Khan is arguably worse.

For us to improve at this point, it would literally take a complete and total overhaul of the entire franchise. Does Rooney seem like the kind of guy who is going to let that happen? Nope .. let's continue being cheap ***** who promote complete and total idiots.
We need to go Ballz Deep on change

I don’t understand the logic in keeping Colbert this last draft. It’s like he just couldn’t let go. So now Khan is a year behind in building his roster. Should have let Khan go in with as clean as a slate as you can have to him build his own roster and either sink or swim with his team. Now you really can’t judge Khan if he has to flush this roster in 2-4 years and rebuild it because this is technically Colbert’s roster.

I don’t understand the logic in keeping Colbert this last draft. It’s like he just couldn’t let go. So now Khan is a year behind in building his roster. Should have let Khan go in with as clean as a slate as you can have to him build his own roster and either sink or swim with his team. Now you really can’t judge Khan if he has to flush this roster in 2-4 years and rebuild it because this is technically Colbert’s roster.
On top of that the Steelers drafted a QB. Regardless what you think of Pickett, drafting a QB in the first makes significant changes to the next GM's plan.

A-N-D S-H-O-U-T

I hear yay slash

BUT

He was twisting my words to fit his narrative so I gave him the

ONE
WORD
Salute

It’s like no one can have their own opinion.

Kind of like Backdoor Butternut BoB.

Salute the nation

I hear yay slash

BUT

ONE
WORD
Salute

Salute the nation
Maybe Mason gets a “starters” shot and succeeds but he didn’t use the opportunities he had gotten here.

Please elaborate then. What I take is his 10 starts have been enough to judge him. Right or wrong? So “if” he succeeds elsewhere it’s his fault for not succeeding here. If that’s not what you meant, please elaborate.

I hear yay slash

BUT

ONE
WORD
Salute

Salute the nation
We are all stupid and he has superior football intelligence. The snowflake should put everyone on ignore but himself.

On top of that the Steelers drafted a QB. Regardless what you think of Pickett, drafting a QB in the first makes significant changes to the next GM's plan.
No, I agree. Khan might or might not have gone Pickett but at least it would have been his call.

13/26 97 yards 0/0 was Ridder today. 😬 that makes Mariota look a lot better.

Mitch = Mason. They're basically the same guy.
I think they keep Mitch one more year. Mason is a FA so he's gone. Mitch is still under contract for one more year but I think he stays unless he raises a big fuss about being the backup. If they trade or release him then next year they have a second-year QB and two brand new guys. As we saw this year, Pickett will get hurt at some point and Mitch will play.
I think Mitch stays also. Kenny seems to get these concussion things a lot. So Mitch probably will see some starting time next year.

On top of that there was a rumor stating they gave the last pick to Colbert and he took that QB. I can't remember his name but there was a OT from Penn State falling in the draft that was still available to draft that some sites had him going in the 3rd or 4th round. I would rather of taken a shot with him over a QB we knew wasn't going to make the roster with the state and depth we have on our OL.

I feel bad for Mason he was quite animated on the sidelines in the first quarter chatting up guys, looking at play selection with helmet on. I'm guessing he was thinking Mitch might poo the bed again and he would get another shot. Rudolph is what he is, but it would still be interesting to watch him with this group of guys now that the line is pass blocking better.

Mitch played ok. Could have had another 3 interception game but fortunately for us they weren’t caught. Who knows what Rudolph would do if he would have gotten the nod. But my guess is that was his last chance to throw a ball in a Steelers uniform. Good luck to him unless he’s playing the Steelers.

Rudy Rudy Rudy

B b but Mitch could have had....

The obsession continues...

Mitch played ok. Could have had another 3 interception game but fortunately for us they weren’t caught. Who knows what Rudolph would do if he would have gotten the nod. But my guess is that was his last chance to throw a ball in a Steelers uniform. Good luck to him unless he’s playing the Steelers.
Which 3 plays were those, specifically, out of Trubisky's 5 total incompletions? Please elaborate.

Which 3 plays were those, specifically, out of Trubisky's 5 total incompletions? Please elaborate.
The ones that could/should have been picked off. The other 2 were ok.

I can only remember one that was close and that is because it was tipped at the line. Maybe the one in the sideline intended for Pickens, but I was never under the impression that it was close to being intercepted.

I remember 2, but one was a tipped pass at the line. The other one the DB barely touched, but it was a scary pass (an out route). I bet if Rudolph had the game Mitch did Ford would be putting him in the hall of fame. Also based on stats Mitch had a QB rating of 100.4 while Darnold had a QB rating of 108.1. If you look at QBR however Mitch was 83.7 and Darnold was 47.1. Which of those ratings seems more accurate as to how the game went? Mitch hit some nice 3rd down passes to keep drives going and did exactly what he had to do. When you only punt 3x you are doing something right. Very rarely do any QBs have games w/o some close calls.

I remember 2, but one was a tipped pass at the line. The other one the DB barely touched, but it was a scary pass (an out route). I bet if Rudolph had the game Mitch did Ford would be putting him in the hall of fame. Also based on stats Mitch had a QB rating of 100.4 while Darnold had a QB rating of 108.1. If you look at QBR however Mitch was 83.7 and Darnold was 47.1. Which of those ratings seems more accurate as to how the game went? Mitch hit some nice 3rd down passes to keep drives going and did exactly what he had to do. When you only punt 3x you are doing something right. Very rarely do any QBs have games w/o some close calls.
Yeah, 3rd down conversions were outstanding today.

Just ran through them myself, and with the exception of #2, none were truly very close to an INT:

1) 2nd quarter (4:54) 3rd-and-5 to Pickens fell incomplete 20 yards downfield, touched by no one.
2) 2nd quarter (1:39) 3rd-and-3 to Sims, ball was tipped, would have been a great play by Thompson to react and scoop it up two inches off the ground.
3) 3rd quarter (12:07) 2nd-and-9, screen play blown up, ball thrown directly into the ground, zero chance of being intercepted.
4) 4th quarter (11:52) 1st-and-10, forced rollout to the right, ball was essentially thrown away, defender got a hand on it, but landed with both feet out of bounds.
5) 4th quarter (5:33) 2nd-and-9, Chinn made a good read on the play, coming off of Sims to disrupt the short out to Pickens (actually like Chinn knew exactly what play was coming, hmmm), but he had to pretty much lay out just to get a finger on the ball.

So, no, Mitch couldn't have had another 3 interceptions today. More bullshlt from FordFairLane, as per usual. If your name ain't Mason, you can forget getting an iota of credit from that guy.