• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rudolph vs Pickett

His only Win Trubisky had to pull his *** out of the fire. We had chances to win against the Jets and Miami he couldn’t get it done. I don’t blame him for the Bills. I mean our offense sucked but their offense is a buzz saw with the best QB in the league.

We can definitely revisit. You’ll probably try to find hard where I blasted Pickett but perhaps look again. I gave him credit where credit is due. But he’s all potential at this point but he was supposed to be the most pro ready qb in the draft. I personally haven’t seen a pro ready qb yet.

The only way to go is up. I think after the by week is where we’d see a jump. I think the defense gets TJ back and probably Canada is gone before then.

Lets hope he ends the season on a high note.
Never said you blasted him but you are definitely not convinced he is or will be anything special. I think that is fair to say? I think by seasons end your view will tilt more my way of thinking. That he has potential to be special. Not saying Allen or BigBen special or Peyton Manning. But perhaps somewhere between that and Carr/Tannyhill. Poor man's Joe Burrow. I am Nostradamusing a little here but I have faith.

If you take a look at this thread, you have:
  • Maybe one person calling Pickett a bust
  • Three or four posters that are critical of him, but agree that more time is needed for an assessment (Ford, Berm, myself)
EVERYONE else is basically defending Pickett, offering excuses, etc. "We definitely have our QB of the future", "You can already tell he has elite intangibles".

The point is, the odds are already very long when searching for a franchise QB. And his performance so far (QB Rating of 65) does very little to alleviate those probabilities.
I'm not doing that. I think most here just want him to get a fair shot and see how he plays as the line improves(cross your fingers) I disagree with FordFairlane in the idea that you can already tell he's not that good by using simple stats that don't give you the whole picture. He's a rookie...give him time. I get that he only had one good year at Pitt, his TD to Pick ratio was not good, and he has small hands. He could still be great, predicting who will be a franchise QB in the NFL is almost impossible. Let it play out.

That is just another poor excuse. I showed the first 130 attempts from Rudolph and the first 127 from Pickett. Those are hard numbers, not opinions.
Not sure what i said that was an excuse? Its a fact that Mason had a different team. Its also a fact that stats can be interpreted different ways. A RB can have 3 rushes for 100 yrds or 25 rushes for 100yrds depending on the narrative which one is better? You can not just look at hard numbers. You would have to look at each throw and break it down. Did the WR drop the ball, did the WR run the wrong route, was someone else open. Then of course you still don't know what the QB was instructed to do. If he was told to throw a 3yrd out on 3rd and 10 even if someone else is open is that on the QB or OC? There are just so many factors when evaluating a qb. Looking at basic numbers are pretty pointless

“The big difference is the 9 vs 2 td passes and the 3 vs 7 int's and the 16% more yardage in the air.”

That’s the difference. Quit making excuses. This is difference. KP is playing like ****. He single handedly lost the Miami game for us. These are facts. Take your excuses and roll them into a nice little ball and shove them where the sun doesn’t shine. No one wants to hear them.
The fact is you can't understand that there's a difference between the stats of second-year player and a rookie. Or what the meaning of a small sample size is. Or that your hero's stats have gotten worse with age and experience, not better. You are a cretin. Just find your Mason Rudolph doll, go play with it, and shut the **** up already.

We can definitely revisit. You’ll probably try to find hard where I blasted Pickett but perhaps look again. I gave him credit where credit is due. But he’s all potential at this point but he was supposed to be the most pro ready qb in the draft. I personally haven’t seen a pro ready qb yet.
Gee, it wasn't really too hard to find:
KP is playing like ****. He single handedly lost the Miami game for us. These are facts.

You also seem to struggle comprehending the difference between facts and opinion.

Like according to you, it's a "fact" that Pickett is "playing like ****" when his overall rating is 66.7, or it's a "fact" that he "single-handedly" lost the Miami game with a 66.2 rating. Yet in the one game which Rudolph started in Canada's offense, you classify his 70.6 rating as a decent performance, and blame everyone and everything else for the Steelers not winning that game.

You're not a realist. You're a ******* joke.

I was looking at Allen's rookie year. Similar average yards. More INTs than TDs. Pickett still has a chance to end on a similar TD/INT outcome.
His whole rookie year? Naw, don't you understand? You got to break that **** down to his first 130 attempts, bro. That's the be-all, end-all statistic, according to a certain ignoramus 'round here.

Josh Allen 70/130 791 yards 2 TDs 5 INTs ---> 61.4 passer rating
Mason Rudolph 83/130 897 yards 9 TDs 3 INTs ---> 97.5 passer rating

One is clearly better than the other, right? By God, the Steelers somehow have a third-string quarterback on their roster who had much better stats over his first 130 throws than Josh Allen! Can you imagine? And don't even think about arguing with whatever that doesn't prove, because it's a fact. Hard numbers, man. Hard numbers.

I'm not doing that. I think most here just want him to get a fair shot and see how he plays as the line improves(cross your fingers) I disagree with FordFairlane in the idea that you can already tell he's not that good by using simple stats that don't give you the whole picture. He's a rookie...give him time. I get that he only had one good year at Pitt, his TD to Pick ratio was not good, and he has small hands. He could still be great, predicting who will be a franchise QB in the NFL is almost impossible. Let it play out.
horseshit.
Maybe not in this thread but since july.

Not sure what i said that was an excuse? Its a fact that Mason had a different team. Its also a fact that stats can be interpreted different ways. A RB can have 3 rushes for 100 yrds or 25 rushes for 100yrds depending on the narrative which one is better? You can not just look at hard numbers. You would have to look at each throw and break it down. Did the WR drop the ball, did the WR run the wrong route, was someone else open. Then of course you still don't know what the QB was instructed to do. If he was told to throw a 3yrd out on 3rd and 10 even if someone else is open is that on the QB or OC? There are just so many factors when evaluating a qb. Looking at basic numbers are pretty pointless
That is a red herring argument. Keep to the subject at hand. I am not going to argue semantics. The facts are and remain.

Rudolph first 130 passes at age 24.06
83/130 897 yards 9 tds 3 ints

Pickett first 127 passes at age 24.118
87/127 771 yards 2 td 7 int

His whole rookie year? Naw, don't you understand? You got to break that **** down to his first 130 attempts, bro. That's the be-all, end-all statistic, according to a certain ignoramus 'round here.

One is clearly better than the other, right? By God, the Steelers somehow have a third-string quarterback on their roster who had much better stats over his first 130 throws than Josh Allen! Can you imagine? And don't even think about arguing with whatever that doesn't prove, because it's a fact. Hard numbers, man. Hard numbers.
I bet we haven't even considered trying to trade Rudolph for Allen because our organization is clueless.

The fact is you can't understand that there's a difference between the stats of second-year player and a rookie. Or what the meaning of a small sample size is. Or that your hero's stats have gotten worse with age and experience, not better. You are a cretin. Just find your Mason Rudolph doll, go play with it, and shut the **** up already.
So how much is that first year riding the bench and not dressing worth? I mean what is the factual percentage of worth? You can't tell me because it is objective. It isn't a fact. It is an OPINION.

That is a red herring argument. Keep to the subject at hand. I am not going to argue semantics. The facts are and remain.

Rudolph first 130 passes at age 24.06
83/130 897 yards 9 tds 3 ints

Pickett first 127 passes at age 24.118
87/127 771 yards 2 td 7 int
It is not semantics if WRs are not getting open, dropping balls, running wrong routes, dealing with bad play calls the QB stats will stink. QBs can't win the game themselves

From Topseed

Gee, it wasn't really too hard to find:

You also seem to struggle comprehending the difference between facts and opinion.

Like according to you, it's a "fact" that Pickett is "playing like ****" when his overall rating is 66.7, or it's a "fact" that he "single-handedly" lost the Miami game with a 66.2 rating. Yet in the one game which Rudolph started in Canada's offense, you classify his 70.6 rating as a decent performance, and blame everyone and everything else for the Steelers not winning that game.

You're not a realist. You're a ******* joke.
That is a fact. He SINGLE HANDLY LOST THE MIAMI GAME. He played like crap. I didn't say he is crap and is only going to play like crap.

Hell lets take a look at how the rest of our division QB's did during their first 4 games:

Comp.Att.%YdsY/ATDINTAvg Rating
Lamar
52​
89​
58.4%​
600​
6.74​
3​
3​
76%​
Burrow
116​
177​
65.5%​
1121​
6.33​
6​
2​
88%​
Watson
74​
114​
64.9%​
811​
7.11​
7​
4​
88%​
Pickett
87​
127​
68.5%​
771​
6.07​
2​
7​
73%​

I agree its way to early too call him a bust. But it is TOTALLY within reason to say that he better start picking up his play, because this supposed 'pro-ready' QB has fallen behind his peers.
A big chunk of his INT's were tipped balls and a hail Mary. None of those others had offenses half as bad as what we run. Considering the **** show that is our scheme I think he compares rather nicely on this chart. Particularly on completion percentage.

That is a fact. He SINGLE HANDLY LOST THE MIAMI GAME. He played like crap. I didn't say he is crap and is only going to play like crap.
Can't agree with you there. He made some bad throws but he also was in a position to win it with those throws. Had the play calling been better we may not have needed to be forcing a rookie to to force throws late to win.

From Topseed

Thank you for proving my point. Rudolph was unfairly treated and judged for his 2019 season.

Can't agree with you there. He made some bad throws but he also was in a position to win it with those throws. Had the play calling been better we may not have needed to be forcing a rookie to to force throws late to win.
How did the game end? What was the last offensive play for the Steelers?

How did the game end? What was the last offensive play for the Steelers?
I think you are intentionally missing my point, yes technically his pick cost us the chance to win but he also put us in a position where it had the chance to win. I agree with you that Mason has gotten way to much hate and grief. We probably have two more wins with him playing. That said I think Pickett will be better QB in the end and I am ok with him losing some games while he learns. Mason has a far lower ceiling than Kenny but he has the current highest floor.

I think that unless the offensive philosophy changes and improves, you'll never know what you have in Pickett, Trubisky or any other QB that may or may not don a Steelers uniform in the future. Neither Pickett nor Trubisky has been impressive, but how much of that is the scheme and how much is the player? We universally agree that the scheme is ****, but until it changes, I don't think you'll know what you have in any of the players on offense, much less the QB's.

I think that unless the offensive philosophy changes and improves, you'll never know what you have in Pickett, Trubisky or any other QB that may or may not don a Steelers uniform in the future. Neither Pickett nor Trubisky has been impressive, but how much of that is the scheme and how much is the player? We universally agree that the scheme is ****, but until it changes, I don't think you'll know what you have in any of the players on offense, much less the QB's.

This is why when I read all of this arguing over quarterbacks I laugh.

What the **** have some of you been watching over the last 3 years?

I think you are intentionally missing my point, yes technically his pick cost us the chance to win but he also put us in a position where it had the chance to win. I agree with you that Mason has gotten way to much hate and grief. We probably have two more wins with him playing. That said I think Pickett will be better QB in the end and I am ok with him losing some games while he learns. Mason has a far lower ceiling than Kenny but he has the current highest floor.
While I would agree with your opinion that Kenny has more upside currently than Rudolph I would disagree with many peoples comparison to Josh Allen. KP has no where near the ceiling Allen had/has. Allen is a physical specimen. Pickett is a pretty average physically gifted QB. He's not Allen or Herbert. He is very body and athleticism comparable to Joe Burrow. Nothing wrong with that. You can be a pro bowler with that skillset. Allen was selected early because of upside. Nothing more. His body of work in college was pedestrian and that is coming from Wyoming. Pickett was supposed to be NFL ready with being a 6th year senior and 24 years of age. That is my concern. He was supposed to be the most NFL ready QB, going to his college city to play ball in the same stadium he played college ball. His floor was supposed to be high. So far he has not played like a player ready for the NFL. I am not saying we call him a bust by any means. But I am saying is Rudolph started off much better and after getting concussed and then having a horrible game vs the Browns never recovered in the face of the fan base. I look at Rudolph's body of work and I see his ceiling at an average to slightly above average starter. I would say Trent Green is his ceiling. Very comparable. Green drafted in 1993 was a back up until 1998 when he got a chance to start. Did well. Had a decent career being bounced around a little but was a quality starting QB. KP I would say still has more upside. By far. Could be Derek Carr or even Joe Burrow at this point. He's a rookie. But his floor still could be bust. I think Rudolph at the very least is a career #2 in the NFL and sticks around for 5-10 years even if it is primarily holding a clip board and being a spot starter. So he at this point has a higher floor.

That is just my opinion.

But can't you make the same argument for Rudolph? He has been stuck with Fichtner and Canada as well.

A big chunk of his INT's were tipped balls and a hail Mary. None of those others had offenses half as bad as what we run. Considering the **** show that is our scheme I think he compares rather nicely on this chart. Particularly on completion percentage.

1. Again, negating interception thing is simply another excuse. Sure, the Hailmary is not on Pickett, but are we going to start doing that for all QB's? How many of Burrow's or Lamar's INT's should have been caught by the WR?
  2. Lamar's OC was fired right after his rookie year. Watson thrived in spite of Bill O'Brien's struggles. Yea- Matt Canada is bad, but lets not pretend that Pickett is the only rookie QB to face adversity with scheme.
  3. The only thing that he compares to 'nicely' is his completion %, which unfortunately is a result of dinking and dunking. Although this may not be his fault.
Again, not saying he is a bust, but his first appearances are markedly trailing his peers in the division.

But can't you make the same argument for Rudolph? He has been stuck with Fichtner and Canada as well.
You can try to make the argument, but you can't just look at stats. If you really want to make the argument you would need to look at all aspects and do a proper breakdown. From a fan standpoint it is near impossible because we don't know the playcalls, the hot reads, the scramble reads, etc etc. If you can not comprehend that then it is a lost cause. The last int i don't put full blame on pickett. He could have ran, but i think DJ was supposed to come back for the ball and was just a miscommunication. The hook route int was a bad play all around. The D was in a shell and looking at Pickett the whole time. He shouldn't have thrown it, but we should have tried a play to pick up like half the yardage. The int to Claypool, Claypool fell. He had a hail mary int, at least one int went through the WRs hands. You can see he had a lot of Ints, but how many were really terrible ints?