• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rudolph vs Pickett

Well at least I get to read Steeler fans arguing each week. It's definitely more entertaining than this season has been.

Kenny is a Steeler. So I'll continue to support him.

I want to go on the record.

Berm was not in the Kenny pick before or during the draft. I felt that there were (& I still do) way better franchise options coming out this year.

Oh well. We're stuck now so buckle up and enjoy the, er, ah, ride...
I wasn't either.

Lots of QB talent in this coming draft - guys who can run and throw.

But, Pickett can do that too.
He also has a little bit of an attitude... which I like my QB to have.

ok coach,

oh, i see...

Mason
3 years
games played
89 total rushing yards

Kenny ******* Pickett
Rookie
games played
61 rushing yards

ouch. you sure schooled me on that.

This is exactly why we could have the same record without taking Kenny or even signing Tribby...
and ... knowing this staff ... we'd have either passed on a QB again or taken one that Tomlin would fall in love with last month.

Or perhaps you may be viewing the game with a less than impartial lense.

-Mason certainly looked awful compared to pre-injury, Killer-B era, HOF number's, Ben Roethlisberger.

-While Kenny looks "Promising" because we are comparing him to a broken-down Big Ben who couldn't throw further than 15 yards. Not to mention he has a legion of Pitt fans willing to defend him at every turn.
Bingo!!!

Kenny can do no wrong. Even though it took him 5 years to be the man at Pitt.

No need to cry over the spilt spilt milk now...

If I'm Omar Khan, I'm drafting a franchise QB in April with the 4th overall pick. Then grabbing multiple OL players the next 4 picks.

Bingo!!!

If I'm Omar Khan, I'm drafting a franchise QB in April with the 4th overall pick. Then grabbing multiple OL players the next 4 picks.
nah. not me.
I think Kenny will be fine. Like I said, i didnt want to draft him, but am glad we have him now.

I take a run-stuffing DT/DE or OT in the first and let the chips fall where they may the rest of the draft.

bogus rankings
Triple H isnt listed

Hendon Hooker HEISMAN

Any chance that the Vols stumble and this kid drops to the 2nd? Definitely like his game. Just another reason why we shouldn't have reached this year.

We are probably set on taking a OL/DL in the first round (which is probably the right move)- but a 2nd round QB could be an option if Pickett looks iffy...

allow me to retort

1. I'm not comparing Kenny Pickett to Ben
2. I'm not a Pitt fan at all
3. Kenny's decision making and pocket presence is much better than Mason's
4. Mason's ball sails whereas Kenny's does not
5. Ben absolutely could throw the ball more than 15 yards. With a little less zip than Mason, about on par with Mitch.
Let me add

Rudolph has trouble throwing into tight windows. KPs decision making is the problem. He already has solid accuracy, which includes throwing into tight windows. He is just learning what he can and can't do on the field. We already know what Rudy can't do on the field and that is consistently throw TDs.

Also with Rudy's lack of mobility and the WRs having their fair share of separation issues, it doesn't= a productive formula.

Last edited:
I will say this. Mason may have been better but honestly after the Concussion he did not look like the same player. He hesitated more and just took too long to go thru reads and just over all looked scared or almost as if the game never slowed back down for him. I could be dead wrong but he just didn't seem like the same player (also not saying he was elite before that at all but he clearly looked different to my eyes).

Let me add

Rudolph has trouble throwing into tight windows. KPs decision making is the problem. He already has solid accuracy, which includes throwing into tight windows. He is just learning what he can and can't do on the field. We already know what Rudy can't do on the field and that is consistently throw TDs.

Also with Rudy's lack of mobility and the WRs having their fair share of separation issues, it doesn't= a productive formula.
In all fairness, KP's solid accuracy is largely due to him dinking and dunking his way down the field. He is like 2nd to last in the league in YPA. Which in itself is concerning.

It was pretty clear that Rudolph wasn't the answer at QB. I'm not sure why anyone would want to settle for that caliber of QB. If Pickett doesn't get better, he's not the answer either. I'm not ready to flush him after 2 starts into his rookie season in Matt Canada's offense.

Bingo!!!

I think you confused QB with RT,NT,C.

Think we will be riding the KP train for 2-3 years at least. Get a real professional offense. Not even Tom Brady in his prime with all of the cheating in the world could make this jv offense go.

Dude...you are really reaching. Running back doesn't matter( See O-line problems) if you can never get the running game established. You can't hit deep routes when guys are constantly in your face. Mason would sit back there looking for the 1 deep route constantly, then check down. Once in a while he would attempt a crossing route throw if it was open by a mile, to JuJU usually. We just disagree..which is fine, but Mason is what he is and that's a mediocre QB with serious flaws in his game.
Nah, man it’s a 100% fact that receivers are 75% more important than o-line and RB is 62% more important.

A full year of riding the bench. Pickett had a full extra year of playing time.
I've already explained that Rudolph started for 3 full years at OSU, and had plenty of playing time before he entered the NFL. Plus he never had to deal with two seasons of Covid bulIshit, either. And you somehow can't comprehend that a full year riding an NFL bench is still valuable for a backup quarterback, compared to a rookie who's never experienced the league before.
I don't think their age is much of a difference. That is why I pointed out how close it was in my original post. The difference is 58 days and 3 pass attempts. The big difference is the 9 vs 2 td passes and the 3 vs 7 int's and the 16% more yardage in the air.
You don't think age is much of a difference, yet you're crowing about Mason being younger than Pickett when he made his first NFL throw, and how that's an irrefutable fact. You can't be this stupid. Well, maybe you can.
The fact people are arguing that Rudolph didn't start off much better is just laughable. I mean listen to how dumb your argument is.
Your undying love for all things Mason Rudolph is what's laughable. And getting rather creepy, to be honest.

Last edited:
In all fairness, KP's solid accuracy is largely due to him dinking and dunking his way down the field. He is like 2nd to last in the league in YPA. Which in itself is concerning.
In all fairness, Ben was 28th in the league last year in YPA at 6.2. This year, both Mitch (6.2) and Kenny (6.1) have virtually the same numbers as Roethlisberger did. Which in itself would concern me more about the offensive coordinator.

His accuracy was outstanding at the combine as well… including deep ball accuracy

Its literally two starts in … nobody has any way to know anything about the kid yet.. unless your QB is Josh rosen level stupid, Pickett will be the guy for a minimum of two or three years now…

People just misunderstand everything about Picketts upside on either side of the line drawn on him.. he isn’t going to be Ben or anything close to ben … the Steelers could draft a qb in the first round every year for tge next couple decades and never find a guy close to Ben. That kind of guy is extremely rare… even with the first overall pick… but there is a high likelihood that he does turn into a stable long term starter… pitts version of Kerry Collins…

You can win with a Kerry Collins type… but nobody wants a kerry colling level qb… they want that all time hof slam dunk guy..

As for Pickett’s performance, he has done fine for a rookie, and that isn’t an excuse, it’s simply a reality… its why a lot of us understood going to him, especially in the fashion they did, was going to be rough at times…

This isn’t a sprint, its a marathon… yeah there are a few qbs that lit it up out of the gate… and some of them even turned out crappy… others like Josh Allen, looked way worse than Pickett… and turned out fine…

His accuracy was outstanding at the combine as well… including deep ball accuracy

Its literally two starts in … nobody has any way to know anything about the kid yet.. unless your QB is Josh rosen level stupid, Pickett will be the guy for a minimum of two or three years now…

People just misunderstand everything about Picketts upside on either side of the line drawn on him.. he isn’t going to be Ben or anything close to ben … the Steelers could draft a qb in the first round every year for tge next couple decades and never find a guy close to Ben. That kind of guy is extremely rare… even with the first overall pick… but there is a high likelihood that he does turn into a stable long term starter… pitts version of Kerry Collins…

You can win with a Kerry Collins type… but nobody wants a kerry colling level qb… they want that all time hof slam dunk guy..

As for Pickett’s performance, he has done fine for a rookie, and that isn’t an excuse, it’s simply a reality… its why a lot of us understood going to him, especially in the fashion they did, was going to be rough at times…

This isn’t a sprint, its a marathon… yeah there are a few qbs that lit it up out of the gate… and some of them even turned out crappy… others like Josh Allen, looked way worse than Pickett… and turned out fine…
I was looking at Allen's rookie year. Similar average yards. More INTs than TDs. Pickett still has a chance to end on a similar TD/INT outcome.

Here is the thing sure he probably won't be BigBen but way too early to put a ceiling on the kid. I am not sure what his likelihood outcome is. He could be a pro bowler or a low end starter. My gut is he won't bust and that his potential won't be reached with Canada. But he has shown flashes of every scenerio. The flashes of accuracy and being able to move the ball down the field bodes well in the grand scheme. His mobility will be an asset, just the decision making is my question mark. I really think that will improve if not later in this season, but the next.

In the meantime fans shouldn't bridge jump without the bungee. There will be losses. Good and plenty.

I've already explained that Rudolph started for 3 full years at OSU, and had plenty of playing time before he entered the NFL. Plus he never had to deal with two seasons of Covid bulIshit, either. And you somehow can't comprehend that a full year riding an NFL bench is still valuable for a backup quarterback, compared to a rookie who's never experienced the league before.

You don't think age is much of a difference, yet you're crowing about Mason being younger than Pickett when he made his first NFL throw, and how that's an irrefutable fact. You can't be this stupid. Well, maybe you can.

Your undying love for all things Mason Rudolph is what's laughable. And getting rather creepy, to be honest.
“The big difference is the 9 vs 2 td passes and the 3 vs 7 int's and the 16% more yardage in the air.”

That’s the difference. Quit making excuses. This is difference. KP is playing like ****. He single handedly lost the Miami game for us. These are facts. Take your excuses and roll them into a nice little ball and shove them where the sun doesn’t shine. No one wants to hear them.

“The big difference is the 9 vs 2 td passes and the 3 vs 7 int's and the 16% more yardage in the air.”

That’s the difference. Quit making excuses. This is difference. KP is playing like ****. He single handedly lost the Miami game for us. These are facts. Take your excuses and roll them into a nice little ball and shove them where the sun doesn’t shine. No one wants to hear them.
To be fair Kenny is a short body of work, stats aren't going to paint an accurate assessment until end of season 1.

You are debating an unknown what they are going through with KP to a known what the have had plenty of time to see with Rudolph.

That is what the coaches are looking at nothing less nothing more.

I have an autographed Rudy pic if you would like it. I am sure you could find a spot somewhere to hang it after you get it framed

😁😇