• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Running lower and lower on nfl love these days

My kids played sports as well. They had teachers and coaches they liked and others they didn’t like, but none I would say had a huge influence on them, positive or negative. My son’s 2nd grade teacher was a nut. We met with the administration about her and they pretty much agreed with our concerns but I don’t think he was negatively influenced by her long term. He saw her for what she was and moved on.

I neither love Islam or hate Christianity or Judaism. I’m on the board of a Christian based charity and have been to a few bar mitzvahs. It wasn’t the AltLeft marching in Charlottesville chanting “The Jews will not replace us” now was it?
how would you know? were you there?

I went through 12 years of Catholic school and never was I taught that we should all embrace being a homemaker.
How did he say that you should do this? Come on, again you are putting words in his mouth he didn't say. Show me where he ever said should be, other than being proud of their accomplishments. What I get from his statement is nothing more than many in the world do look down on women who choose to be a homemaker and don't consider them successful. I absolutely agree with that. It doesn't mean yo can't choose to not be a homemaker.

No, he said "For the ladies present today, congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. You should be proud of all that you have achieved to this point in your young lives. I want to speak directly to you briefly because I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you. How many of you are sitting here now about to cross this stage and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you are going to get in your career? Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world."

What are the "diabolical lies?" That having a career could be fulfilling? And of course on their graduation day at 21 years old after 4 years of college "most" will be most excited about being a wife and mother?"

"all of my success is made possible because a girl I met in band class back in middle school would convert to the faith, become my wife, and embrace one of the most important titles of all: homemaker."

What? A guy can't be successful without his wife embracing being a homemaker? His own mother is a renowned medical physicist. How did his dad ever succeed?
diabolical lie #1 - that men can be women and women can be men. or is that two diabolical lies?
he gave his wife credit for his success.
and he 100% did tell the men in the audience to not abandon family, for the sake of their career.

but, then you'd have to have devoted 20 minutes to listen to the YouTube video or find the transcript posted on this forum instead of reading the snippets like mosquito-attention span Flog.

I went through 12 years of Catholic school and never was I taught that we should all embrace being a homemaker.
but, wait ... you did exactly what he said would/should happen.

your first example of being against this is the accomplishment and achievement of your daughter. You, as a mother, upheld your daughter's education as something you are very proud of - and should be proud of. That shows you didn't become a part-time mom, your daughter didn't lack attention growing up, you set good, achievable goals for your daughter and modeled your own life in a way that she used as a compass.

you know that, right?

but, wait ... you did exactly what he said would/should happen.

your first example of being against this is the accomplishment and achievement of your daughter. You, as a mother, upheld your daughter's education as something you are very proud of - and should be proud of. That shows you didn't become a part-time mom, your daughter didn't lack attention growing up, you set good, achievable goals for your daughter and modeled your own life in a way that she used as a compass.

you know that, right?
I'm not against anyone wanting to be a stay at home mom or extolling the virtues of that (as mentioned, I never planned to be, it was a variety of circumstances that it ended up that way.) I have supported my husband's career and that worked for us. I also know women who are the primary breadwinners in their home and worked all the way through and have wonderful, successful grown children. And what do you mean, "part-time mom"? Assuming you worked does that make you a part-time dad? Why should the majority of childrearing, homemaking and support of their partners career have been presumed to be the role of the "ladies" in the audience, especially ladies who just earned their college degrees? Not the time or place for that, in my opinion. Am I horribly upset or offended? No. My 24 year old daughter was pretty disappointed in his comments.

but, then you'd have to have devoted 20 minutes to listen to the YouTube video or find the transcript posted on this forum instead of reading the snippets like mosquito-attention span Flog.
I read the entire transcript. I certainly don't trust the MSM to accurately report anything. I also thought his long rant about Catholic clergy and masses being too user-friendly and non-traditional was a weird vibe for a commencement address. Yeah I know it was a Catholic college, but still.

I'm not against anyone wanting to be a stay at home mom or extolling the virtues of that (as mentioned, I never planned to be, it was a variety of circumstances that it ended up that way.) I have supported my husband's career and that worked for us. I also know women who are the primary breadwinners in their home and worked all the way through and have wonderful, successful grown children. And what do you mean, "part-time mom"? Assuming you worked does that make you a part-time dad? Why should the majority of childrearing, homemaking and support of their partners career have been presumed to be the role of the "ladies" in the audience, especially ladies who just earned their college degrees? Not the time or place for that, in my opinion. Am I horribly upset or offended? No. My 24 year old daughter was pretty disappointed in his comments.
no. a part-time dad/mom is one who isnt very active in the upbringing of their child. one who lets the other parent dictate what goes on and has no viable role - or a voiceless role. i know a woman who had two daughters. lost them in her divorce. her ex-husband remarried and she was less than a part-time mom. she had zero voice in which schools her children went to, what they did, their sports, etc.

also, there are some parents who allow THEIR parents to raise their kids. grandparents raising their grandchildren. another example of a part-time (or less) parent.

and if you want to flip the role in this, the dads who aren't active. deadbeat dads. Butker called them out. but you know that since you listened to the video and/or read the transcript.

no. a part-time dad/mom is one who isnt very active in the upbringing of their child. one who lets the other parent dictate what goes on and has no viable role - or a voiceless role. i know a woman who had two daughters. lost them in her divorce. her ex-husband remarried and she was less than a part-time mom. she had zero voice in which schools her children went to, what they did, their sports, etc.

also, there are some parents who allow THEIR parents to raise their kids. grandparents raising their grandchildren. another example of a part-time (or less) parent.

and if you want to flip the role in this, the dads who aren't active. deadbeat dads. Butker called them out. but you know that since you listened to the video and/or read the transcript.
"To the gentlemen here today: Part of what plagues our society is this lie that has been told to you that men are not necessary in the home or in our communities. As men, we set the tone of the culture, and when that is absent, disorder, dysfunction, and chaos set in. This absence of men in the home is what plays a large role in the violence we see all around the nation. Other countries do not have nearly the same absentee father rates as we find here in the U.S., and a correlation could be made in their drastically lower violence rates, as well.

Be unapologetic in your masculinity, fighting against the cultural emasculation of men. Do hard things. Never settle for what is easy. You might have a talent that you don't necessarily enjoy, but if it glorifies God, maybe you should lean into that over something that you might think suits you better. "

Yes, he mentioned absentee fathers briefly. But most of this seems to cast men as victims of those who want to rob them of their masculinity or tell them they aren't important. Nothing about supporting a wife in her career or aspirations or contributing to the "homemaking" of running a home that two adults live in.

And then there's this little nugget: 'Isabelle’s dream of having a career might not have come true, but if you ask her today if she has any regrets on her decision, she would laugh out loud without hesitation, and say, ‘Heck, no.’” '

The woman is 28 years old with a college degree. Her dream of having a career can't come true? What kind of nonsense is that? She's got a lifetime ahead of her. She married Harrison, guess it's homemaker forever.

And then there's this little nugget: 'Isabelle’s dream of having a career might not have come true, but if you ask her today if she has any regrets on her decision, she would laugh out loud without hesitation, and say, ‘Heck, no.’” '

The woman is 28 years old with a college degree. Her dream of having a career can't come true? What kind of nonsense is that? She's got a lifetime ahead of her. She married Harrison, guess it's homemaker forever.
Once again you are not reading what he said only how you interpret it. He never said can't he said might not have, that is a huge difference and is not precluding it from happening in the future.

Once again you are not reading what he said only how you interpret it. He never said can't he said might not have, that is a huge difference and is not precluding it from happening in the future.
It's a weird thing to say IMO. If I was a man and my wife "dreamed of having a career" I would support her in that dream. She could be a wife and mother and have a career, especially married to a guy who makes millions every year and not having to worry about childcare expenses. People do it all the time.

"might not have"

"To the gentlemen here today: Part of what plagues our society is this lie that has been told to you that men are not necessary in the home or in our communities. As men, we set the tone of the culture, and when that is absent, disorder, dysfunction, and chaos set in. This absence of men in the home is what plays a large role in the violence we see all around the nation. Other countries do not have nearly the same absentee father rates as we find here in the U.S., and a correlation could be made in their drastically lower violence rates, as well.

Be unapologetic in your masculinity, fighting against the cultural emasculation of men. Do hard things. Never settle for what is easy. You might have a talent that you don't necessarily enjoy, but if it glorifies God, maybe you should lean into that over something that you might think suits you better. "

Yes, he mentioned absentee fathers briefly. But most of this seems to cast men as victims of those who want to rob them of their masculinity or tell them they aren't important. Nothing about supporting a wife in her career or aspirations or contributing to the "homemaking" of running a home that two adults live in.
"seems to cast men as victims"
despite men being nudged out of the family unit by the government, being seen as the prime cause for most of what ails society, being the dumbest person in any group, and generally ridiculed.

until a jar needs to be opened or something taken off a top shelf.

but you know that. your opinion is based on how you interpet what he said about men after you were somehow insulted that a woman should or even could be thrilled over their sons or daughters achievements rather than their own.

So she has a career? She isn't solely a homemaker?
as you said, she's 28.

she COULD very well launch a "professional" career later. but at this point in her life and in their lives, she's raising their kid(s) and keeping him from whoring about and having multiple baby mamas.

that's not so bad is it?

*edited to include "professional"

"seems to cast men as victims"
despite men being nudged out of the family unit by the government, being seen as the prime cause for most of what ails society, being the dumbest person in any group, and generally ridiculed.

until a jar needs to be opened or something taken off a top shelf.

but you know that. your opinion is based on how you interpet what he said about men after you were somehow insulted that a woman should or even could be thrilled over their sons or daughters achievements rather than their own.
Oh please. Men are not victims. Speaking in generalities men earn more, carry far less of the household burden even when both work full time, and are far less often victims of abuse, poverty and violence.

I'm not following you on that last sentence, lol. I don't recall being insulted about pride in children's achievements. Rather than my own? Sure. I haven't achieved all that much. Nothing wrong with being proud of both though. I certainly hope my daughters will be equally as proud of their achievements and careers as they will about their homemaking abilities. And I hope my son expects to support his future wife in achieving her dreams, whatever they may be.

as you said, she's 28.

she COULD very well launch a "professional" career later. but at this point in her life and in their lives, she's raising their kid(s) and keeping him from whoring about and having multiple baby mamas.

that's not so bad is it?

*edited to include "professional"
No one is saying that's bad. If someone chooses that for themselves, great. If it's at the expense of their "dreams" maybe not so great. And if it's assumed that ladies will give up their dreams to support the dreams of their husbands and not vice versa, even less great.

No one is saying that's bad. If someone chooses that for themselves, great. If it's at the expense of their "dreams" maybe not so great. And if it's assumed that ladies will give up their dreams to support the dreams of their husbands and not vice versa, even less great.
dreams cant change? you mean I can still be an astronaut? i can still be an indy car driver? i can still be point guard for the Lakers? i can still be the Steelers QB? thanks.

dreams cant change? you mean I can still be an astronaut? i can still be an indy car driver? i can still be point guard for the Lakers? i can still be the Steelers QB? thanks.
It's not me who said she gave up her dream of having a career, it was him. Take that up with him.

Oh please. Men are not victims. Speaking in generalities men earn more, carry far less of the household burden even when both work full time, and are far less often victims of abuse, poverty and violence.

I'm not following you on that last sentence, lol. I don't recall being insulted about pride in children's achievements. Rather than my own? Sure. I haven't achieved all that much. Nothing wrong with being proud of both though. I certainly hope my daughters will be equally as proud of their achievements and careers as they will about their homemaking abilities. And I hope my son expects to support his future wife in achieving her dreams, whatever they may be.
when i look at a career - unless I see a person who owns their own business and is out there making decisions that will effect the lives of their employees, or a doctor who's decisions can effect the lives of their patients, etc - then I see people who by and large are working for someone else making them more money.

is that something to be proud of? y'all burned your bras and wanted to get in the workforce to make money for someone else? really?

yet your first example is of your daughter's achievements.

interesting.

It's not me who said she gave up her dream of having a career, it was him. Take that up with him.
you're the one who said "The woman is 28 years old with a college degree. Her dream of having a career can't come true? What kind of nonsense is that? She's got a lifetime ahead of her. She married Harrison, guess it's homemaker forever."

when i look at a career - unless I see a person who owns their own business and is out there making decisions that will effect the lives of their employees, or a doctor who's decisions can effect the lives of their patients, etc - then I see people who by and large are working for someone else making them more money.

is that something to be proud of? y'all burned your bras and wanted to get in the workforce to make money for someone else? really?

yet your first example is of your daughter's achievements.

interesting.
I'm not seeing where you're getting that I'm not proud of being a wife and mother. Or that I have anything against someone choosing to be only a wife and mother if that's what they want to do.

you're the one who said "The woman is 28 years old with a college degree. Her dream of having a career can't come true? What kind of nonsense is that? She's got a lifetime ahead of her. She married Harrison, guess it's homemaker forever."
He said "Isabelle's dream of having a career might not have come true..." doesn't sound like "her dream of having a career might be delayed" but maybe he just worded it inartfully.

Last edited:

He is Catholic ya know...
They will be having children into their late 40's... ;)

I hear ya though one for...and agree with alot of what you said in your first post on this thread.......the problem is we are all wordsmithing the hell out of his speech, which takes away from the intent, I believe..