• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Should the Steelers trade up or trade down?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
The Steelers have 4 picks in the top 80 spots. Rare firepower to trade up in a draft. But also they go from pick 120 to 236 with nothing between. What do you see the Steelers doing? Using some firepower to go from 17 into the top 10 or do you think they entertain moving back with 17 or 32 and filling up those day three pick gaps? Hard to say with the new GM. Colbert always liked having at least one pick in each round. But Khan I feel is a little less OCD about drafting a player in each round. But of course they would have to have a player in mind to target to move up.

it depends on how the draft unfolds but I would say trading back is the better option. Not saying that is what I want, I would prefer 3 immediate impact players.

Down… look the reality is that while a significant portion of the top ten draft picks will make a pro bowl in their careers.. they often do so only because of their draft status and their actual careers are rather pedestrian…

Unless you are sold on a specific player being a true hall of fame impact player, and there are usually only one or two of those in an entire draft, you always trade down… because quantity is better than quality at least through the first 3 rounds…

Statistically only 2% of the players will be great and another 8 or 9% better than average, 20% will turn in to average players and the rest are more or less fodder

Trading down in the first adds another premium pick and particularly this year when the positions of greatest need have enough depth that we should get another good prospect out of it

Basically if a team has several close rated guys at positions of need when they are picking, and the draft has depth, they should explore trading down…

Trade back. Get more picks.

I would stand and pick 4 reliable, needed players.
For me this first they have free agency to help their cause. Then they have an extra pick that is round 1 comparable. One of the weaknesses of this team is they are talent deficient. Team doesn't need bodies they need an injection of talent. You don't get that by trading down. Or let's say it is a little more difficult. I want impact players now and no playoff missing excuses.

Pick the BEST available, BONUS if value for player of need is there. These first 4 picks are in that area of value and there will be players there we need.

Target FA in relations to how you see draft playing out, but take the higher ranked talent wise and don’t trade down to get what we already have In our current depth.

Some are acting like 7th round QBs are found left and right……….. ?

Salute the nation

Pick the BEST available, BONUS if value for player of need is there. These first 4 picks are in that area of value and there will be players there we need.

Target FA in relations to how you see draft playing out, but take the higher ranked talent wise and don’t trade down to get what we already have In our current depth.

Some are acting like 7th round QBs are found left and right……….. ?

Salute the nation
Yeah, 7th round pics that do anything are fairly rare to begin with… they are best used for special teams or high risk/reward prospects… or a guy who you know is destined to be a udfa that you want but don’t think you can sign…

For me this first they have free agency to help their cause. Then they have an extra pick that is round 1 comparable. One of the weaknesses of this team is they are talent deficient. Team doesn't need bodies they need an injection of talent. You don't get that by trading down. Or let's say it is a little more difficult. I want impact players now and no playoff missing excuses.
I agree with this. Don't want to be like the Pirates and just pile up bodies. 4 guys in the top 80 could make a big impact and with a couple FAs we should be able to field a solid team.

They need quality, not quantity, in our main areas of need. With their first 4 picks, if they could land a legit starter at 3 areas of need (OL, DL, and CB would be the top 3), this draft will have been a success. If they can nail all 4, the draft will be a home run. Right now, our top needs are OL, DL, CB, and then ILB, OLB, and WR. I can actually see them taking any of the 6 in round 1 other than WR. They shouldn't even consider WR until round 3 or later.

They need quality, not quantity, in our main areas of need. With their first 4 picks, if they could land a legit starter at 3 areas of need (OL, DL, and CB would be the top 3), this draft will have been a success. If they can nail all 4, the draft will be a home run. Right now, our top needs are OL, DL, CB, and then ILB, OLB, and WR. I can actually see them taking any of the 6 in round 1 other than WR. They shouldn't even consider WR until round 3 or later.

Calvin 3 should curtail us taking Tank Dell in the 1st. .

I love the idea of Tank but we need a big, bodied speedster. If Cal3 wasn't on roster, then I'd play for Tank in rnd 3.

Salute the nation

I see us having 1 glaring need, and then a slew of definite needs improvement. A lot will be determined by free agency but currently ILB is a glaring need with Jack and Robinson the only two signed inside backers. CB is a need with Sutton being a free agent unless the team believes Witherspoon can bounce back hard and fast. SS is a need with Edmunds and Kazee URFA. And DT, DE, LT, LG, OC, and RT all could use improvement.

This is how I feel the offseason goes. Steelers re-sign Sutton, Spillane, and either Edmunds or Kazee (probably Kazee) to fill the depth chart enough where we could actually roster a team if need be. We will try to bring back Edmunds and probably do. We try to bring Ogunjobi back but fail. Likely let Gentry walk in free agency.

So that leaves us with (I'll count the bears pick as a 1st) two first round picks, one second round pick and one third round pick. Here are the percentages of getting a starter by round. 1st=29.9%, 2nd=17.5%, 3rd=12.6%, 4th=10.8%, 5th=6.4%, 6th=4.9%, 7th=4.2%.

That means with our 17th, 32nd, 49th, and 80th pick we likely get 1 starter for sure and maybe a second. If you knock the draft out of the park three for the entire draft.

It all depends on who is there and what the offer is. But I would wait until you are on the clock to pull the trigger. It is a pretty deep OL class and we could really use a LT, LG, and RT upgrade and even center isn't more than average. I for one think Dan Moore should go to LG or RT where he would flourish. So a true LT could improve a couple of positions on the line.

Not necessarily. They could have four targets still on the board and a team that is three spots down might be wanting to trade up.
Good point. If all things are created equal sure.

If Broderick Thomas, Devin Witherspoon or Christian Gonzalez is there at 17, pull the trigger. They are too valuable to pass up.

The pick at 32 has a "trade value" of 590. The closest match would be Tampa's 50 and 82. I would rather keep pick 32.

If Thomas, Witherspoon and Gonzalez are all gone (a VERY real possibility), then pick 17 has a value of 950. The closest match for a trade would be the Chargers 21 and 85, with a combined value of 965.

If Broderick Thomas, Devin Witherspoon or Christian Gonzalez is there at 17, pull the trigger. They are too valuable to pass up.

The pick at 32 has a "trade value" of 590. The closest match would be Tampa's 50 and 82. I would rather keep pick 32.

If Thomas, Witherspoon and Gonzalez are all gone (a VERY real possibility), then pick 17 has a value of 950. The closest match for a trade would be the Chargers 21 and 85, with a combined value of 965.
Who's Thomas?