• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Six key points for a Republican to win the 2016 Presidency

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I'll list the key points in order of what I think is most important for a Republican to win the Presidency.

1 ) Candidate must be able to raise a lot of money quickly, and have seasoned ground campaign people.

2 ) Candidate must do well with women voters. Obama won women 55-43% in 2012. The Republican on the ticket needs to get at least 45% or higher...or he/she won't win!

3 ) Candidate must be to do well in swing states such as Florida, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. Electoral math.

4 ) Candidate must be able to bring out his base, and have people vote for him, and much as voting against the other guy.

5 ) Candidate must be famous and known to low information voters, and free of major scandals.

6 ) Candidate needs to do better with Latinos' in the states of Florida, Colorado, and Nevada.

Republicans need to be very pragmatic on 2016. The nation is some trouble and a tipping point could be upon us. As such we need to back the person with the best chance to win.

I like Rand Paul, but I think he fails point #2 badly due to his view on abortion, which Women are sensitive too. Personally I think abortion is morally bad, and will one day be viewed like Slavery was. But this is 2015.

I like Scott Walker, but I don't see him strong on any of the points, except for point #4.

There is one candidate that meets most of the above requirements,

JEB Bush.

He’s strong on points #1, #3., #5, and #6 , and okay on points #2 and #4.

Points 7 and 8 would be:

7. Tea party does not hate him

8. He isn't bloodied by fellow Republicans in debates

Those are the two points that I think hurt Jeb's chances the most. He might pull off the nomination, but will end up damaged for the general election.
Tea partiers might even stay home.

Points 7 and 8 would be:

7. Tea party does not hate him

8. He isn't bloodied by fellow Republicans in debates

Those are the two points that I think hurt Jeb's chances the most. He might pull off the nomination, but will end up damaged for the general election.
Tea partiers might even stay home.

Do you agree on my first six points?

The Bush name is good enough for the tea party folks. A smart voter knows candidates have to say things they don't fully believe in.

As for the debate, Bush is solid...far better than his brother. Hillary is not Bill behind the mic, she's a boring speaker with an annoying type of voice.

That's just what Hillary Clinton fans want to hear.

I aint the only one saying it, and it should be something the GOP listens to. If they don't, I can't help that.

Pennsylvania a swing state?

Not likely. Dem's won it in 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2012. To flip it would take a heavy rural turn out, I think. But my point is if a REP does well enough here, the Dem's will have to put time and money into the state.

Ohio and Florida are more likely to flip back to the Rep's

Last edited:
I aint the only one saying it, and it should be something the GOP listens to. If they don't, I can't help that.

Why not pick the lesser of two evils then, unless you want 4-8 more years of Obama like politics. Those are the stakes.

I won't stay home, but I won't be voting for Jeb, either.

That is the way I feel also. I could bring my Libertarian leaning self to vote R, but only for Rand Paul, will not happen for the others.

That's just what Hillary Clinton fans want to hear.

Hillary's biggest fans are the current Republican Party.

Why not pick the lesser of two evils then, unless you want 4-8 more years of Obama like politics. Those are the stakes.

We have had this discussion many times before, there are just too many people now who will not vote for the lesser of two evils. Those people, (myself included) will vote for someone they can believe in or will stay home. I have said it a hundred times, the Republicans are done unless they can bring in the true conservatives and the Libertarian voters.

That is the way I feel also. I could bring my Libertarian leaning self to vote R, but only for Rand Paul, will not happen for the others.

There may be others for me, than Paul. Not sure, yet, other than that there are a few who will NOT get my vote. Jeb Bush, Mike Huckabee, Paul Ryan...too many to mention them all, probably.

Except that, with Jeb, we get 4-8 more years of Obama like policies. Those are the stakes.

There may be others for me, than Paul. Not sure, yet, other than that there are a few who will NOT get my vote. Jeb Bush, Mike Huckabee, Paul Ryan...too many to mention them all, probably.

I agree, there may be others out there I could support, we will see. If you look at their track record, I am not holding out much hope. I do not believe there is a snowballs chance in hell that the Republican party makes the huge shift needed for them to ever win the WH again.

The problem with the debates is that you could have 12 to 15 people on stage, so they aren't really debates. Whomever the front runner is
and it could be perceived as Bush is going to get attacked rather viciously. In 2012 there were a lot of dumb dumb candidates. This year
there are going to be a number of candidates with real differences.

I really can't see a Republican getting elected to President, until you see years with 3 to 4 real candidates and real debates. With these
large groups, everyone seems to get torn apart, making it easier for the Dems in the general election.

If the Dems have a woman candidate, she will not get less female votes than Obama did. I could see some Repub woman secretly voting for a Dem woman, just
because they are tired of the men.

Except that, with Jeb, we get 4-8 more years of Obama like policies. Those are the stakes.

Jeb is not anti our allies as Obama can be. He is harder on terrorism, and will pick much better federal judges. If your arch conservative is out of the race, vote for the next best thing. That's all I'm saying.

Clinton if brining a letfy feminists type of an agenda. Stay at home and you help her.

Jeb is not anti our allies as Obama can be. He is harder on terrorism, and will pick much better federal judges. If your arch conservative is out of the race, vote for the next best thing. That's all I'm saying.

Clinton if brining a letfy feminists type of an agenda. Stay at home and you help her.

Coach - What you do not seem to get is, If our arch conservative is out of the race, we will vote for the next best thing, it just will not be for Jeb. If you want our help, do not trot out a Dem-lite.

no one mentions John Kasich. not yet anyway

Coach - What you do not seem to get is, If our arch conservative is out of the race, we will vote for the next best thing, it just will not be for Jeb. If you want our help, do not trot out a Dem-lite.

Vote for whomever you like in the primaries. I encourage a high turnout.

However once a winner emerges ( Could be JEB ), the base needs to support him/her or the Dem’s will win. It’s that simple.

Me? I'd vote for any Republican presidential nominee over Hillary Clinton, even the nominee is Sarah Palin like weak because I know the alternative is worse.

Obama will leave the nation in a mess. The debt is dangerous. Our allies don't trust us. 1-3 super court justices will be picked by the 2016 President. I could go on.

Just know this not voting helps Hillary Clinton. JEB is not Hillary Clinton. He's a moderate Republican with the right ingredients to win.

Last edited:
If it's Jeb, who thinks someone on the right will third party?

If it's Jeb, who thinks someone on the right will third party?

I could see Paul doing that, but it won't matter. A third party won't win, and IMO Jeb cannot win. Hated by the left and hated by the far right. Brother to one of our most unpopular presidents. Son of one who isn't all that well-liked either. Proponent of Common Core which is reviled by pretty much every Rep and Dem person I know. What kind of lunatic thought this was a good idea?

I could see Paul doing that, but it won't matter. A third party won't win, and IMO Jeb cannot win. Hated by the left and hated by the far right. Brother to one of our most unpopular presidents. Son of one who isn't all that well-liked either. Proponent of Common Core which is reviled by pretty much every Rep and Dem person I know. What kind of lunatic thought this was a good idea?
The media because they don't want a Republican to win.

Vote for whomever you like in the primaries. I encourage a high turnout.

However once a winner emerges ( Could be JEB ), the base needs to support him/her or the Dem’s will win. It’s that simple. I am not a Republican, I do not NEED to suport someone just because.

Me? I'd vote for any Republican presidential nominee over Hillary Clinton, even the nominee is Sarah Palin like weak because I know the alternative is worse. Good luck with that, I don't believe a 95% Democrat is a better alternative,

Obama will leave the nation in a mess. The debt is dangerous. Our allies don't trust us. 1-3 super court justices will be picked by the 2016 President. I could go on. More reason to vote for someone who will not put up a semi-liberal judge. Do you think Paul puts forward anyone who is not a true conservitive?

Just know this not voting helps Hillary Clinton. JEB is not Hillary Clinton. He's a moderate Republican with the right ingredients to win. This is what was said about Romney, even though he was a 95% Democrat too

Moderate Republican is just DNC-Lite and people know this. The GOP can't win trying to out democrat the Democratic Party. Didn't work with McCaine or Romney won't work with Jeb Bush. Rand Paul energizes your base gets most of the independants and a fair number of Libertarian voters thus sealing the win. And he will walk the walk not just talk the talk.