• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steeler Nation Draft Show Spectacular!

All of the “surprise” players who dropped are about to go at the top of the second round. I get excited every year and they all fly off the board every year.

NFL teams do value pressure as much as sacks. Most teams would rather have a guy who gets consistent pressure than a guy who manages coverage sacks or gets schemed up for free runs.

Oweh didn't have a sack in the shortened 2020 but he did in 2019. PSU was bad in 2020 and played from behind, so offenses were playing with leads and ran quite a bit. They also faced lots of read option and Oweh did a great job of staying disciplined and not letting runs get outside of him.

He's still raw. I think he only played 1 year of High School.

Here's a bunch of plays he made. Some sacks, but lots of pressures and look at him staying disciplined against the run and he can make plays in space.

Reminds me of an unpopular pick last year...some kid named Highsmith..

Great pick for the Ravens. They needed a big WR who can go get jackson's ****** throws.

Browns - OBJ, Landry and Peoples Jones
Bengals - Jamar Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd
Ravens - Sammy Watkins, Marquise Brown, Rashod Bateman

Steelers top 3 CBs - Haden age 32, Sutton, and either James Pierre or Justin Layne - It'll be fine

Again, my problem with picking Harris is not the player, it's the position. They have much bigger needs at harder to fill positions and guys like Teven Jenkins, Oweh and Greg Newsome were just sitting there.
BPA.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that harris won’t be a stud rb... there are a lot of is that are saying that the best rb in the league isnt as valuable as a good LT or CB and it isn’t close... there just isn’t a recent history of having super bowl success drafting a rb in round 1.... several recent super bowl teams utilized udfa rbs... the position is just not as key as it used to be and production is tied so heavily to the oline.....

And we aren’t going to have a runblocking oline by any stretch of the imagination....

There are tons of negatives to taking a first round rb... the only time it makes sense is if its the last piece you need for a super bowl run.... and we are so close to an overhaul that it feels like if they don’t win with him this year its a wasted pick

I don’t think anyone is arguing that harris won’t be a stud rb... there are a lot of is that are saying that the best rb in the league isnt as valuable as a good LT or CB and it isn’t close... there just isn’t a recent history of having super bowl success drafting a rb in round 1.... several recent super bowl teams utilized udfa rbs... the position is just not as key as it used to be and production is tied so heavily to the oline.....

And we aren’t going to have a runblocking oline by any stretch of the imagination....

There are tons of negatives to taking a first round rb... the only time it makes sense is if its the last piece you need for a super bowl run.... and we are so close to an overhaul that it feels like if they don’t win with him this year its a wasted pick
Get an upgrade at C and the Steelers should be able to run between the guards and C. RT with Banner should be run capable too. So you cheat a TE towards the LT and this team should be able to be middle of the pack in running which is light years better than last place. It was known that it would take more than one player to help the running game. Let us see how round 2 shakes out.

I understand our need for a RB and think we got a good one, but I really thought we'd go OL in the first.

Thankfully it's a deep draft.
Keep in mind it isn't a deep draft for top RBs. but T and C runs deeper. We knew that going in. So they are making the strategic moves that value provides.

I hear 'ya, no doubt. My point is that there are just too many really good offensive linemen, along with some other prospects who just cannot last much longer, for the Steelers not to have a very, very good offensive lineman available at 55, and probably at 87. Because I should spend more time getting exercise but don't, let's mock up to pick 55:

33. Jacksonville Jaguars - Has to be defense, and therefore likely Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah LB Notre Dame
34. New York Jets - Two picks on offense, traded Jamal Adams, so pick is Trevon Moehrig S TCU
35. Atlanta Falcons - Added elite TE, need help at RB, CB. I think they take Assante Samuel CB Florida State, passing on Javonte Williams RB North Carolina.
36. Miami Dolphins (from Houston) - First team likely to target OL. I think they take Teven Jenkins OT Oklahoma State or Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
37. Philadelphia Eagles - Need CB, LB, WR. They go Azeez Ojulari to upgrade pass rush
38. Cincinnati Bengals - Another team that needs upgrade at LT. Even though he is really a RT, I think they go with Jenkins if here, if not, Dillon Radunz
39. Carolina Panthers - The need a tackle. Already added Paye, but Bolton is intriguing. They take who is left of Jenkins, Radunz, Humphrey.
40. Denver Broncos - Addressed CB, need help at RB. They take Williams if here, the best player available and a team need.
41. Detroit Lions - Need help at WR, LB, CB. Here is where Bolton goes. Maybe Ronnie Perkins Edge Oklahoma as the top-end pass rushers are going
42. New York Giants - Chance Dickerson C Alabama goes here but more likely Elijah Moore WR Mississippi
43. San Francisco 49ers - Need DL help, so I think Christian Barmore DT Alabama is the pick
44. Dallas Cowboys - **** them. They can choose between Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame, Samuel Cosmi OT Texas, or Jalen Mayfield OT Michigan
45. Jacksonville Jaguars (from Minnesota) - Got QB, RB, LB, add DL help with Levi Onwuzurike DT Washington
46. New England Patriots - **** them. The pick Douche Nozzlian Butthole Shitbag Tech.
47. Los Angeles Chargers - Need OT help, select who is left between Cosmi, Eichenberg and Mayfield. Quality among all three
48. Las Vegas Raiders - Drew Brees' 7-year old son because Raiders. Not picking another OT or C here.
49. Arizona Cardinals - TE, WR help needed. Pat Friermuth TE Penn State
50. Miami Dolphins - Already took OT help with pick 36 so go somewhere else. Where? Who cares.
51. Washington Not-Redskins - Need help at WR, S, QB. Maybe Davis Mills QB Stanford? More likely somebody like Terrance Marshall Jr. WR LSU
52. Chicago Bears - May look at OT, if so, likely still have one of Cosmi, Eichenberg, Mayfield, maybe even Radunz.
53. Tennessee Titans - WR and TE a need, or arguably still need help with pass rush. OL low on the list.
54. Indianapolis Colts - Aaron Robinson CB UCF, or WR help
55. Pittsburgh Steelers - look who's left. One of Cosmi, Eichenberg, and Radunz, as well as Quinn Meinerz OC Wisconsin-Whitewater, Josh Myers C Ohio State , Landon Dickerson C Alabama, Brady Christenson OT BYU, Spencer Brown OT Northern Iowa, Walker Little OT Stanford. Think all of them are gone by pick 87? Nope. Add in Jaylen Moore OT Western Michigan,
Well , I did say we would get one of those guys.... lol.
Actually, we need two of those guys. I get it. The draft is a marathon not a sprint. What are you going to do without your first pick.com mock draft🙂🙂🙂
I get why they took Harris,the Oline draft is so deep,RB not.

I worry about our CB situation. Even with all the guys last year, our late season collapses had a lot to do with opposing QB’s throwing at will.
Here’s to a great second day draft!

Keep in mind it isn't a deep draft for top RBs. but T and C runs deeper. We knew that going in. So they are making the strategic moves that value provides.
Agreed Slash and I am in no way a draft expert. . For whatever reason I just thought they'd go OL first and pick up one of the lesser backs in the second. I'm really not sure what the CB landscape looks like? I'm sure there are good ones available but how many?

Agreed Slash and I am in no way a draft expert. . For whatever reason I just thought they'd go OL first and pick up one of the lesser backs in the second. I'm really not sure what the CB landscape looks like? I'm sure there are good ones available but how many?
The top ones ran early and fast. Stokes in the first is a reach, newsome though talented had little footage to invest a 1st.
Samuels is the top CB left by far and he will go early in the 2nd round. Then you have guys that aren't versatile to play in and out, so pick your flavor, outside guy like Adebo or nickel like Milden, there's good depth available specially on nickel

Cope & FSF:

Congrats on a good show last night. It was very good to see the Steeler fans perspective, and a treat to have Big Dot with his awesomely unique perspective.
All contributed insightful commentary, with not a single "Coach"-like moment.

My question is about the various writers/podcasters: why don't they have familiarity with the SN forum? I would think that "hanging" with your most likely audience would be a positive.
Also, the ESPN draft site here: https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/live beat all timing on picks except for Justin's pick texts (why not on this forum too?)

All in all, fantastic job for the first draft show!!

I hear 'ya, no doubt. My point is that there are just too many really good offensive linemen, along with some other prospects who just cannot last much longer, for the Steelers not to have a very, very good offensive lineman available at 55, and probably at 87. Because I should spend more time getting exercise but don't, let's mock up to pick 55:

33. Jacksonville Jaguars - Has to be defense, and therefore likely Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah LB Notre Dame
34. New York Jets - Two picks on offense, traded Jamal Adams, so pick is Trevon Moehrig S TCU
35. Atlanta Falcons - Added elite TE, need help at RB, CB. I think they take Assante Samuel CB Florida State, passing on Javonte Williams RB North Carolina.
36. Miami Dolphins (from Houston) - First team likely to target OL. I think they take Teven Jenkins OT Oklahoma State or Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
37. Philadelphia Eagles - Need CB, LB, WR. They go Azeez Ojulari to upgrade pass rush
38. Cincinnati Bengals - Another team that needs upgrade at LT. Even though he is really a RT, I think they go with Jenkins if here, if not, Dillon Radunz
39. Carolina Panthers - The need a tackle. Already added Paye, but Bolton is intriguing. They take who is left of Jenkins, Radunz, Humphrey.
40. Denver Broncos - Addressed CB, need help at RB. They take Williams if here, the best player available and a team need.
41. Detroit Lions - Need help at WR, LB, CB. Here is where Bolton goes. Maybe Ronnie Perkins Edge Oklahoma as the top-end pass rushers are going
42. New York Giants - Chance Dickerson C Alabama goes here but more likely Elijah Moore WR Mississippi
43. San Francisco 49ers - Need DL help, so I think Christian Barmore DT Alabama is the pick
44. Dallas Cowboys - **** them. They can choose between Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame, Samuel Cosmi OT Texas, or Jalen Mayfield OT Michigan
45. Jacksonville Jaguars (from Minnesota) - Got QB, RB, LB, add DL help with Levi Onwuzurike DT Washington
46. New England Patriots - **** them. The pick Douche Nozzlian Butthole Shitbag Tech.
47. Los Angeles Chargers - Need OT help, select who is left between Cosmi, Eichenberg and Mayfield. Quality among all three
48. Las Vegas Raiders - Drew Brees' 7-year old son because Raiders. Not picking another OT or C here.
50. Miami Dolphins - Already took OT help with pick 36 so go somewhere else. Where? Who cares.
51. Washington Not-Redskins - Need help at WR, S, QB. Maybe Davis Mills QB Stanford? More likely somebody like Terrance Marshall Jr. WR LSU
52. Chicago Bears - May look at OT, if so, likely still have one of Cosmi, Eichenberg, Mayfield, maybe even Radunz.
53. Tennessee Titans - WR and TE a need, or arguably still need help with pass rush. OL low on the list.
55. Pittsburgh Steelers - look who's left. One of Cosmi, Eichenberg, and Radunz, as well as Quinn Meinerz OC Wisconsin-Whitewater, Josh Myers C Ohio State , Landon Dickerson C Alabama, Brady Christenson OT BYU, Spencer Brown OT Northern Iowa, Walker Little OT Stanford. Think all of them are gone by pick 87? Nope. Add in Jaylen Moore OT Western Michigan,

Nice rundown, don't see the Chargers using their second round pick on another OT after taking Slater

Well , I did say we would get one of those guys.... lol.
Actually, we need two of those guys. I get it. The draft is a marathon not a sprint. What are you going to do without your first pick.com mock draft🙂🙂🙂
I get why they took Harris,the Oline draft is so deep,RB not.

I worry about our CB situation. Even with all the guys last year, our late season collapses had a lot to do with opposing QB’s throwing at will.
Here’s to a great second day draft!
Our late season collapse had a lot to do with opposing OCs being able to exploit our 3rd, 4th and 5th string ILBs in coverage. I'm hoping they get some type of coverage capable ILB this draft. No way they should be trotting out an undersized converted Safety in anything other than the Dime.

My hope:

55. Quinn Meinerz OC Wisconsin-Whitewater
87. Spencer Brown OT Northern Iowa

"Oh, you are overdrafting for need!" No, taking guys who will not be available later, i.e., drafting them because you can. Those two picks shore up the OL right the @#$% now.

And yes, I get that Brown is a RT for now. He is a perfect fit for LT once he spends a year as a full-time football player.

Get an upgrade at C and the Steelers should be able to run between the guards and C. RT with Banner should be run capable too. So you cheat a TE towards the LT and this team should be able to be middle of the pack in running which is light years better than last place. It was known that it would take more than one player to help the running game. Let us see how round 2 shakes out.

I agree they need a C and a TE. They don't have a TE. Steelers need guys who can play immediately. They have a 2, 3 and two 4th rounders. Then they don't pick until 6th round. That essentially gives you 4 picks to reasonably draft guys you can plug in immediately.

If they grab a C and TE in those picks then that leaves 2 spots to draft OT, CB, Edge or ILB. Right off the bat, one of them is not getting addressed, likely ILB. The ILB pick will likely be a 6th round special teamer, not a guy who can cover so probably another season on Spillane covering Jamar Chase in the slot.

I see no margin for error now on the next 4 picks. I'm going to hope for some magic and some good players fall. It just seems like drafting RB in rd 1 will leave a hole someplace else.

Lot of solid players available. All the centers,Cosmi which I am high on, Eichenberg,Little,Radunz,etc.
I agree they need a C and a TE. They don't have a TE. Steelers need guys who can play immediately. They have a 2, 3 and two 4th rounders. Then they don't pick until 6th round. That essentially gives you 4 picks to reasonably draft guys you can plug in immediately.

If they grab a C and TE in those picks then that leaves 2 spots to draft OT, CB, Edge or ILB. Right off the bat, one of them is not getting addressed, likely ILB. The ILB pick will likely be a 6th round special teamer, not a guy who can cover so probably another season on Spillane covering Jamar Chase in the slot.

I see no margin for error now on the next 4 picks. I'm going to hope for some magic and some good players fall. It just seems like drafting RB in rd 1 will leave a hole someplace else.
Just thinking the team had too many holes to fill. I could see ILBer left off with a blocking TE needed as well as a CB,LT,and C, and backup OLBer. Those are the 5, the band of the hand I see being drafted before it is all said and done.

He's really good, and just went to a really good defensive team. ...and we kinda have an issue at offensive line, right? I think Tape's concern is a valid one.

and no, I didn't want the Steelers to pick him. They have more glaring needs.
He was really good, yes. We'll see how good he is, here in a few months. I'm not gonna boo-hoo about it