• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers New WR Calvin Austin – “When somebody says something about my size, I just tell them to turn the film on”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers selected their second wide receiver of the 2022 NFL draft at pick no. 138 grabbing Calvin Austin III. Austin comes with blazing 4.3 speed, and the ability to make plays from the outside, and from the slot. He’s undersized at 5 foot 8, but has primarily played outside during his tenure at Memphis.

Austin was already a track star prior to entering college, but decided to try his luck, and attempt to walk onto the football team. He made the team, and once he saw regular playing time in 2020 and 2021 he put up back to back 1000 yard seasons. Austin was part of Memphis’ 4×100 track team that qualified for the NCAA Division I Outdoor Championships as a freshman and sophomore.

Steelers Select Big Play Threat George Pickens At Pick No. 52

Austins track background propelled him to the 5th best 40-yard dash time at this years combine. Beyond their statue Austin shares plenty of the same on the field traits as Dolphins wide receiver Tyreek Hill. According to their Relative Athletic Scores — a metric that provides tools to contrast and compare player’s known measurables — they’re very similar actually.

Steelers Calvin Austin vs Tyreek Hill

Something that Austin is also very dynamic at is the return game.

Steelers Austin Goes For Touchdown

Steelers 4th round pick Calvin Austin / SI.com

He spoke to Justin Melo from NFL Draft Network recently and discussed his enjoyment for special teams.

I’ve always enjoyed playing special teams. It’s another opportunity for me to get the ball in my hands. I thrive in space and it gives me another chance to score a touchdown and change the outcome of the game.

Playing special teams is a lot of fun. I returned kicks and punts in 2019 and that was a great way for me to get on the field. I played defensive back in high school so I understand how to tackle as well. That allows me to play on the hands team. I’m tough to block as well.

It’s still football at the end of the day. It’s another part of the game I love to play so much.

It’s unclear what his role will be on special teams considering the Steelers just signed an All-Pro returner with Gunner Olszeski, but with the Steelers lack of return ability for the past several years they can’t ever have too many capable return men.

Austin finished his college career as Memphis’ second all-time leader in receiving touchdowns 22, fourth in receiving yards 2,541, and fifth in receptions 156 while posting two of the program’s top-five single-game receiving yards performances.

After a solid week of practice, Austin pulled in 2 receptions during the Senior Bowl, including a 39-yard reception which led both squads as the longest reception of the day. Austin repeatedly beat all incomers during practices at the Senior Bowl. It didn’t matter the size of the opposition, Austin out worked them.

When somebody says something about my size, I just tell them to turn the film on. I rather let my play do the talking. I think size is one of my advantages. I’m constantly learning how to use it to my advantage while improving my route-running ability. My size has never held me back from anything, and it certainly won’t now.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..