• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers select CB Artie Burns - Miami

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Artie Burns?

Most of the mocks on NFL.com have the Steelers taking Artie Burns. Not that it means jack squat because consistently it isn't like they are correct. However, I've heard very little around here about Burns. What are the thoughts should that be the pick?

Where are you seeing that? I keep seeing WJIII and Kendall Fuller. Otherwise, Burns has all the attributes a coach looks for, but is really raw and unpolished. He's probably a rd 2 or 3 guy.

For the record I don't think Fuller is rd 1 talent either.

Last edited:
Where are you seeing that? I keep seeing WJIII and Kendall Fuller. Otherwise, Burns has all the attributes a coach looks for, but is really raw and unpolished. He's probably a rd 2 or 3 guy.

For the record I don't think Fuller is rd 1 talent either.

I would be ok with either in the third... not sure I would want either before that.

Regardless of who drafts him, I'll be rooting for that young man. Guy is raising his little brothers, along with his own child, after his Mom died of a heart attack last season (dad's in prison). By all accounts, he's taken it better than most would, he's been a good example to his siblings from what I've read

I seen that too, Burns is a huge reach at 1-25 no way I would take him there. If we are that far down the CB board then we move to best available athletes.

I'd be ok with him in the second. Not the athlete he was advertised to be. He's a little upright, tight, and not very strong. I'd feel great in the third tho.

Not much for me to add on this. Read the human side of the kid story, KUDDOS to him. Really, hats off. As for the draft, 3rd rnd, 2nd at best and a lot would have to be off the board for 2nd round.

Salute the nation

Where are you seeing that? IBurns has all the attributes a coach looks for, but is really raw and unpolished.

i'm not sure that he's a first rounder. the mock that i saw by daniel jeremiah has us taking him and leaving billings on the table. honestly, no chance i see that happening

I don't think this is the first time the experts have the Steelers taking a big time sloppy second at CB in the first round.

Knowing the Steelers we will take the best available athlete that best fits what we are trying to fix and then have some awesome athletes from a few smaller schools we never heard of. After round 2 it's a crap shoot.

And I'm not saying smaller schools we haven't heard of, I'm saying awesome athletes from those schools
I personally know of one that was a freak who played for serra catholic who's grades wernt the best but had to go to buffalo because of it. He's a freak and that's the kind of guys we usually dig up. There is also quite a few others from Clairton that ended up at smaller schools with crazy speed and ball skills that will pop up later in the draft. Not saying any of these kids will be our targets but our scouting team finds these guys. IE... Willie parker.

And yes before anyone says it I know Parker was not drafted.

Last edited:
He's a second day prospect. NO WAY in round one.

Welcome Mr. Burns

I saw mock drafts with the Steelers selecting Artie Burns. I didn't want to believe it since it seemed like he had a 2nd round grade. Especially with some top talent on the board still but I guess we shall see.

He's a Steeler now so gotta root for the guy

Here's what TMC and I just discussed.

I had him near the bottom of the first round with my draft evaluations for the Steelers. I stated:
Artie Burns, CB, Miami-Burns is 5117, 193 pounds. I mentioned earlier that Burns compares to Bryant McFadden, who the Steelers had rated as a first round prospect, and I think he does. Similar size. Similar workout numbers. Similar style of play. Both players are not afraid to mix it up. Both guys are steady, consistent, but not flashy. When I watch the film of Burns, I see a player that just goes out down after down and plays with good position, does his job, and lines back up and does it again. I do not see a great deal of splash plays from Burns, but I do not see a ton of plays where he blows assignments or allows his receiver to just get away from him. Steady, consistent, reliable.

Mocked him to us in the 2nd, thought he might slide a little. He didn't. Word is the Cards were hot on him at #29, he was the target for them. So, if you want a long corner that can run with ball skills, really the last one left. Really high character kid though. Dad is in prison. Mom died last season. He has two brothers (ages 13&16 I think). He is their guardian. He also has a 19-month old son, been with his GF for several years. Kid is carrying a ton of responsibility. And, he is only 20 years old. Still growing.

I am sure everyone was screaming we have to take a CB in the first. We did. Had to address the back end at some point. Who is left? Alexander? He has attitude issues, turned a ton of teams off. Fuller? Injured and not as physical as his brother. Then who? Position was drying up. Burns was the last of the long/fast/starting corners that did not have a ton of things to work on.

Hey, make sure you tell TMC we miss him. I gave him as much **** as anyone, maybe more, hell, I don't know, but his analysis was always very complete, and I don't think any of us debated that.

Joe

is what it is...like yinz say, last higher rated CB.

welcome to The Black 'n Gold.

I feel that Senquez and Artie can be a great tandem. Artie has a family that's depending on him, he's got real live speed and decent size to offset the slight height of Senquez.

We find a way to get Shilique Calhoun tomorrow and this will be an A grade draft when all is said and done.

Coach Mike Tomlin likes the upside that Burns, who came out after his junior season at Miami, has.

“You know, there’s a lot to be excited about Artie,” said Tomlin. “He’s a third year player. He has a lot of growth potential. We’re excited about the upside. He’s a master at bump corner, it appears to be something that’s a natural element of his game. He’s good at the ball, he’s good with the ball down the field. He has elite speed. He’s a track man also down there at Miami. We’re just really excited about him in general. Good player to work with and motivated. He can get things going for us in 2016.”