• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers select CB Artie Burns - Miami

Take the Denver trade..use the pick to get back up into the 2nd ..if Burns does go to Cards ( I think Nkemdiche was gonna be the pick but who really knows) Take 1 of the 3 DL's and you can get Alexande/Fullerr trading back up...If not take Burns trade up to get 1 of the 3 DL....but no lets just rush in and take Burns..whatever..we should be used to this type of thinking by now.

Welcome Artie Burns...hopefully Tombert finally gets a DB pick right

You don't kick a game winning field goal at 2 minutes with a chance to run the clock down to 3sec. Just because you don't have a trade offer when your pick starts, doesn't mean you won't get a phone call 5 minutes in.

Also running up to the podium every ******* year creates a trend where no team will make you an offer since they think you will just run up for your pick. It's a poor strategy and a poor trend that is self created.

You don't kick a game winning field goal at 2 minutes with a chance to run the clock down to 3sec. Just because you don't have a trade offer when your pick starts, doesn't mean you won't get a phone call 5 minutes in.

Also running up to the podium every ******* year creates a trend where no team will make you an offer since they think you will just run up for your pick. It's a poor strategy and a poor trend that is self created.

You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.

I don't get a lot of you people and your obsession with trading down for more pics later in the draft. We have a need at corner, Burns was projected as a first rounder. We picked up a guy that grades out as a solid player to fill a great need in our Defensive Backfield. I don't get the line of thinking that stockpiling picks to draft lower rated, possibly scrub players in the hope that one will turn out to be a diamond in the rough is the smart thing to do.

I really think these trade calls are done way before the pick. Not while we are on the clock. Yes someone can still call but that isn't the norm. Too much has to be worked out and talked about to be done at the last second. To be honest there isn't much separation between Jackson and Burns. I wanted Billings bad. But I'm cool with Burns, also younger by three years. Similar prospects Burns has more upside. He wasn't going to be there at 58 and while I do like Alexander Burns is bigger and Fuller is has a injury. Maybe we could of went back to 31 but it's no guarantee he was going to be there.. still some quality players left.

At the end of the day, our 2nd round pick is far down enough there were no assurances a solid CB would be around the second day. The risk of not adding a bonafide outside, boundary CB to the secondary was too big to pass up. We've missed out on CB's year after year and have had to settle for corners with too many warts. They had Burns ranked in the upper echelon of CB's and were probably estatic to grab him at the bottom of the first. I am glad they did. My guess is they will throw him into the deep end and watch him swim - or sink - from the get go.

Welcome to the Steeler Nation Mr.Burns. Now let's just hope he can be the ayer Colbert and Tomlin think he can. It looks to me like a bit of a reach for a kid who was considered a late 2nd or early 3rd rounder.

This could be especially hard to digest if this kid doesn't pan out considering the talent on the board at DT. They could have had any DT they wanted.

I am still holding out hope we get Billings in the 2nd round

No chance in hell, we ****** up

If Burns turns out to be a bust, there isn't enough bandwidth in the universe to handle the thread and posting frenzy that will result. The Archer thread was nothing.

The question is, where would you put him? We have two inside linebackers, and Jack is no pass rusher.

Also, we've a bigger hole at edge rusher than we do at DT. Jarvis is non functional. McCullers can at least play his position.

I would play Jack at Safety in base and rover LB/S in nickle and dime

This board has been bitching for years about us ignoring the secondary since the 90s, and the damned 10 yard cushion. We take the last guy out there who might be able to solve those problems, and everyone is mad. Did they watch our secondary last year? CB was the biggest need on this team.

This board has been bitching for years about us ignoring the secondary since the 90s, and the damned 10 yard cushion. We take the last guy out there who might be able to solve those problems, and everyone is mad. Did they watch our secondary last year? CB was the biggest need on this team.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Just a few things to consider. As a former track guy I've known about Artie for quite awhile. His focus was not just on football. He was also an elite high school and college hurdler in track and field. He didn't focus on football during the winter and spring, he was on the track. I think at one time he was the national indoor junior record hurdle in the 60m hurdles. I have no question as far as the physical ability with this guy. His 40 time was not exceptional, but it's good enough. What will make him good is that he has the hip mobility/flexibility that I think is needed to be an elite corner. Can't be an elite hurdler without it. So, he will be completely focused on football now. We had another great hurdler on the Steelers that became a pretty good CB....his name was Rod Woodson. I think this pick will turn out to be ok.

On passing downs I like the idea of Burns & Cockrell on the outside with Willy Gay & Golson on the inside. Adding a legitimate boundary corner like Burns significantly improves our pass D. We still need a starting caliber safety to pair with Mitchell and the secondary starts to round into shape. The first step was getting a size/speed guy like Burns on the outside.

On passing downs I like the idea of Burns & Cockrell on the outside with Willy Gay & Golson on the inside. Adding a legitimate boundary corner like Burns significantly improves our pass D. We still need a starting caliber safety to pair with Mitchell and the secondary starts to round into shape. The first step was getting a size/speed guy like Burns on the outside.

I hope we get Justin Simmons, after Joseph and Neal he is my favorite and I was always pretty much hoping we'd get Simmons.

I'm not happy with the pick, but many mocks had Burns going to us, KC, or others. He is raw, yes, but so is Apple, and WJIII. Hell, WJIII is super raw. I would have rather had WJIII, but whatever. If we can get a ss, olb, of DL in rd 2 maybe we can all feel better.

as long as a good dlineman is the 2nd pick all will be good.

My guess is they will throw him into the deep end and watch him swim - or sink - from the get go.

My guess is he will ride the pine for 2+ years - he's a project, at best.

Mike Mayock - “boom or bust” prospect, “He's very raw. I know teams with a third-round grade on Burns ""Stiff hips, weak backpeddle, poor technique"

I hate to say it because I wanted a CB too but even QB Paxton Lynch would have been a smarter choice to ride the pine for 3 years at #25.

WE SHOULD have looked at a trade.

"The Broncos traded up to nab their guy.

They gave Seattle a third-round selection (No. 94) to move up to the No. 26 slot and take Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch in the first round of the NFL draft Thursday night.

"We started working early. We worked the phones from noon on (Thursday) to try to find where we could slide in," Broncos general manager John Elway said. "We talked to everybody starting at 17 and all the way up, and we were finally able to do a deal with the Seahawks"

I think the Steelers liked what they saw in Burns and had him stacked right up there with the top CB's. As they say, it was an easy pick for them to make. I like the kid's attitude coming in. I think he'll be given a fair shake to prove his worth early, and will get on the field his rookie year.

Asked earlier this week about the moment he’s waited for all his life, Burns said it was hard to fathom what it would feel like to hear his name called on draft night. Thursday, that became a reality.

“That moment hasn’t happened for me yet, so I can’t imagine how it will feel,” he said late last week. “But that phone call is just going to be the beginning. It’s time to work and I just want to put a stamp and let my team know I’m here for business. I’ll have bonds with my teammates, but I’m here to work. I want to be the best at my position, the best on my team, the best in my class. Those are my goals.”

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...blog/sfl-um-s-artie-burns-20160428-story.html

He seems to have the required brashness / swag to hold up under the lights. The type of confidence a player like Cortez Allen had so little of. Having that attitude is huge, with corners in particular.

Last edited:
Wonderful

Pro Football Focus‏@PFF
Artie Burns was the No. 144 player on the PFF board. The Steelers took him at No. 25. @PFF_ give the Steelers a D

I'm worried the Steelers are drifting further and further away from "Best Player Available" and tilting their draft boards more and more to fill holes on the roster.

And because they KNOW they are not picking best player available, they target players ranked 10-15 picks below where they are picking, know the guy will likely 100% be there and are very quick to make their decision. To them, it's the plan and nothing that happens around them on draft day will change that.

If Dulac was correct, Artie Burns was their guy for weeks.

It's not every year this happens, but most. And with the draft taking a break between rounds 1 and 2, I think you are seeing some of the same "planning" in round 2 as well.

To me picks like Pouncey, Gilbert, J. Jones, Bell, Shazier and Golson all qualify under this type of thinking.

I'm not necessarily saying this is bad and I wonder if it was a more conscious change because of how poorly the Mendenhall & Sweed picks went over in 2008 (I think Tomlin knew immediately those two guys weren't for him the minute they walked in the facility). I think something happened after 2008. Tomlin got more power or more say or they decided to NOT let the draft fall to them and instead find guys both Tomlin/Colbert like. And when you need that type of mutual consensus, it sometimes means you have to go down a few spots on the talent board before both agree on a guy.

I think that is what is happening now, for good or bad.

Another good read on Burns

artieburnsandgray1000.jpg

Artie Burns kisses his son A.J. as he walks off the field following a game for the University of Miami in 2015.

Artie Burns has cleared many hurdles to get to NFL draft: ‘I’m ready’
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...blog/sfl-um-s-artie-burns-20160428-story.html

CB rankings in four pre-draft publications:

Pro Football Draft Guide > 4. Apple, 6. Burns, 9. WJackson III
Pro Football Weekly > 4. Burns, 5. Apple, 9. WJackson III
Lindey's > 3. Apple, 6. WJackson III, 7. Burns
Athlon Sports > 4. Apple, 6. Burns, 7. WJackson III

CB rankings in four pre-draft publications:

Pro Football Draft Guide > 4. Apple, 6. Burns, 9. WJackson III
Pro Football Weekly > 4. Burns, 5. Apple, 9. WJackson III
Lindey's > 3. Apple, 6. WJackson III, 7. Burns
Athlon Sports > 4. Apple, 6. Burns, 7. WJackson III
doesn't mean a thing....all our veteran NFL people say they blew it.

Mike Mayock - “boom or bust” prospect, “He's very raw. I know teams with a third-round grade on Burns ""Stiff hips, weak backpeddle, poor technique "

Maycock also said some teams felt Burns could potentially end up being the best CB to come out of this draft class. But we wouldn't want to add that positive spin to a Steelers selection would we?