• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers select CB Artie Burns - Miami

I understand the pick and the reason and the upside, however I still stand by my position that he is a reach in the 1st round. However he's a steeler now and the last corner we drafted that was also a track star worked out ok in my book. Let's see what the kid can do.

Ohh and the kid has one hell of a first name.... love it.

Coach Mike Tomlin likes the upside that Burns, who came out after his junior season at Miami, has.

“You know, there’s a lot to be excited about Artie,” said Tomlin. “He’s a third year player. He has a lot of growth potential. We’re excited about the upside. He’s a master at bump corner, it appears to be something that’s a natural element of his game. He’s good at the ball, he’s good with the ball down the field. He has elite speed. He’s a track man also down there at Miami. We’re just really excited about him in general. Good player to work with and motivated. He can get things going for us in 2016.”

"Master at bump corner"? Lets hope he doesn't become known as Artie 'at the spot of the foul' Burns. Or maybe Art the spot of the foul....

Welcome to the Steeler Nation Mr.Burns. Now let's just hope he can be the ayer Colbert and Tomlin think he can. It looks to me like a bit of a reach for a kid who was considered a late 2nd or early 3rd rounder.

This could be especially hard to digest if this kid doesn't pan out considering the talent on the board at DT. They could have had any DT they wanted.

I am still holding out hope we get Billings in the 2nd round.

Well I guess the mocks were right for once. And looking back there must be a lot of unhappy folks tonight.

hope the best for him... hes a steeler hell or high water.. but seems a reach. we have holes and there were guys on the boad to fill those holes. well see but welcome aboard to the greatest team inthe nfl... most superbowl winning... cadillac driving... my shoes cost more than your house... whaoooooo!!!! (my best rick flare) go steelers!!!!!

We have holes and there were guys on the board to fill those holes. well see but welcome aboard to the greatest team in the NFL... most Super Bowl winning... cadillac driving... my shoes cost more than your house... whaoooooo!!!! (my best rick flare) go steelers!!!!!

I do believe that CB was one of those holes, a really big hole at that.

If they can somehow get a good DT I could still feel good about this. Mayock feels that there is a ton of good DTS available and some teams took a WR or a corner because they felt they could get value in the second.

I would've picked Myles Jack in spite of his injury.

The question is, where would you put him? We have two inside linebackers, and Jack is no pass rusher.

Also, we've a bigger hole at edge rusher than we do at DT. Jarvis is non functional. McCullers can at least play his position.

There are three DTS with first round grades left. The two from Alabama and Billings. Wonder if there is a decent chance they get one. I'd feel better if it wasn't 25 picks.

i'm not sure that he's a first rounder. the mock that i saw by daniel jeremiah has us taking him and leaving billings on the table. honestly, no chance i see that happening

Yeah. About that

Bengals stole our pick and everyone knows it - this guy "not in same league as w j III" according to the draft gurus - I'm afraid we ended up reaching for a raw project

Bengals stole our pick and everyone knows it - this guy "not in same league as w j III" according to the draft gurus - I'm afraid we ended up reaching for a raw project

I was initially bugged by the pick.Now that its sunk in, seems like an ok pick. I still feel like they reached a bit after Jackson was taken 1 pick before. There were some cats there that I felt were better value at 1-25. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized they had to go CB there. Many other teams also passed on draftable DT's in the first knowing there was enough depth there to take one later. The pass rushers and safeties are in the same boat. If they wanted one of the better CB prospects it had to be in round one. He seems to have tools, size, and enough ability to warrant a late first, even if it was a bit of a reach. I hope he's a quick learner and Lake makes the most of his physical attributes.

I just hope he is better than Blake was. As a rookie he will likely be used sparingly anyhow so don't get too hyped up just yet.

Never heard f him. As long as he doesn't have a lengthy criminal record and bad academic background, I'm ok with it. Hell, coming from the U that would be an amazing accomplishment in itself.

Not sure I buy into the Bengals stole our pick.

* Steelers tend to like the bigger schools

* Steelers have showed a tendency lately to like Miami U players. (Spence, Shayon Green,Anthony Chickillo)

* With Golson last year they started to trend toward playmakers, led the ACC with six interceptions, the most by a Hurricane since 2003 (Sean Taylor, 10)…started all 12 games in which he played finishing with 36 tackles, five pass breakups, one fumble recovery and six interceptions…his six interceptions tied as the 10th-most in a single-season in school history…opened the year with an interception in three consecutive games…became first Hurricane since Sean Taylor to record at least one interception in three straight games.

* He can play zone and man equally well ..

* I know a lot of U fans and they said although a bit raw, he has high upside. Thing is until recently (this offseason) I looked at the U as a team held back by poor coaching. A lot of fans would argue that Burns was in fact held back due to this. A piece of clay to mold....

The only problem I have was he the best value on the board? Billings? Butler? Alexander? Only time will tell. This ultimately stinks of the Golson pick in another way, in that they might have reached on a player targeted prior to the draft, but was he in fact on the top of their board ?

Will he become a solid player? I think he will........... probably a safe pick..... somewhat typical of the Steelers....

But this one will be interesting to see in comparison to some unmentionables left on the board.

BTW Tombert love how you just run up to the podium yearly... hee hee look who we got.... we don't need to pick up a extra pick or anything....

Last edited:
I can't help but feel we panicked when the Bengals took Jackson. We didn't spend ANY TIME listening to any potential offers, which is stupid, regardless of who you take. I really hope Burns works out, and I'm withholding judgement for now. But I'll be honest, I was really hoping the name would be Myles Jack, Noah Spence, or Andrew Billings.

I would've picked Myles Jack in spite of his injury. Or even Billings, though there appears to be a few DTs still on the board so one could fall to us in the second.

I basically feel like this, except, I don't hate Burns. He should be a solid NFL player at a position were we suck.

We didn't spend ANY TIME listening to any potential offers, which is stupid, regardless of who you take.

I'm led to believe the Steelers ruled out trading down in the 1st round as a policy. Every year they pick immediately. But why? I can't think of any reason to immediately turn in the pick and suspect that Denver would have been as interested in 25 as they were in 26.