• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers select CB Artie Burns - Miami

Ike has more brain power than the average person.

ike1229.jpg

his cranium is almost Southern Steeler-esque

Swaggin'

From back in February...

NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper: ‘Late first round’ for Miami Hurricane Artie Burns
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article61854207.html#storylink=cpy

“Artie Burns is the main guy — this is your corner,” Kiper replied. “He’s a little too physical in college for the NFL. By that I mean you’re going to get penalized heavily if you’ve got your hands and you’re too in the face of the receiver. You’ve got to be able to back off a little bit and be able to handle what the NFL is asking you to do. I want to see if you can adjust to that. But what works in college doesn’t work in the NFL with the rules the way they are.

“So I would think Artie Burns, though, is a tremendously talented player. His skill-set is arguably as good as any of these guys. I would put him in the late first round. He was in the mix for several teams. I’ll wait on him a little bit until after the combine, but I think he’s a late one, early two.

And following the Combine...

Artie Burns Shines at Combine, Proves He's One of the Draft's Top Corners
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...bine-proves-hes-one-of-the-drafts-top-corners

With his combination of speed, size and length—his 33 1/4" arms were among the longest of any defensive back at the combine—Burns has exactly what NFL scouting departments are looking for from their corners. He also brings versatility, with the ability to play either safety or corner at the next level, as well as the ability to return kicks. Whether on defense or special teams, Burns will have the ability to make an instant impact in the NFL.
Burns needs some polish when it comes to the game's finer points, but NFL-level coaching should get the best out of his athletic ability. With playmaking ways flashed on tape and his showing at the combine, it's not out of the question for Burns to sneak into the first round as one of the first corners off the board.

Tibs, STFU ....

26178-liar-1423923282-984-640x480.jpg

I actually think this may have been a possibility. On of the beat writers said Colbert told him Wednesday that he thinks the draft will break so that Burns will be their guy.

Now that would of been EPIC

New information: Colbert said he received several calls to trade down.

its a Burns thread..which means all Burns all the time...its not like taking a crap where u use new paper each time ..its ok to put all the info in the Burns thread that is already started

If Burns pans out. What will his slogan be?

"You just got Burned"?

Or

"It Burns it Burns!!!"?

Feel the Burns

Steelers had their recent #1 defenses when Ike was able to take the #1 receiver from the other team and go one on one.
I believe they think Burns has that ability, but it also took Ike awhile to get there. We'll see.

Don't worry... since Tibs had to give up "Feel the Bern", he obviously channeled that into "Feel the Burns"....

I just hope Artie doesn't crash and burn (get it?) like Sanders did....

Ike Taylor was more raw than Burns..

If you like him that much over the other CBs why trade down for basically a 4..why risk it.
No, no, no - common sense and logic are not allowed in Coach's threads...
No, no, no. All 6 of you who replied need to start your own threads. Get with the program.
Love it!!!

I will increase your bounty when I get home...
ah ha! using the trade up/back argument with the "______ wasnt taken again until ......." statement, why would the Broncos essentially trade up considering that NOT A SINGLE ******* QB WAS TAKEN AFTER WENTZ?

god, this board is getting stupider and stupider with every draft.

And there we have it...

I say give the kid a chance. I respect Ike Taylor, one tough dude who almost always got assigned the #1 receiver. I hope Ike works with Burns.

People have short memories. Eli Manning, Philip Rivers!!!! Ben Rothlingerger?? He won't pan out. HAHA!

I say give the kid a chance. He has tremendous upside AND he's 6' tall.

If you like him that much over the other CBs why trade down for basically a 4..why risk it.

I guess it depends upon how you view the difference between Burns and the next guy (alexander/fuller/someone else). It seems clear the Steelers thought Burns was far and away above the next rated guy (theirs, not ours, NFL.com, cbs.com, maycock, etc.) in line. It is clear to them (and us) CB needed an upgrade and one at the outside, not slot.

I hadn't looked at Burns or read much about him. There were some things I didn't like about Alexander that would have made me look at different positions.

You are correct that it would have been a very late 3rd rounder which would have been right before the comp picks. However, the difference between that one and a comp pick is that it can be traded for a possible move up in the 2nd, which gives it a great deal more value than a comp pick, IMO.

Everyone knows Tombert would **** up the extra pick, anyway.

Burns seems like a good player with a good work ethic and. Not much of a risk, if a lower ceiling.

He was second team All ACC, which doesn't sound that great, to me. However, the first team CB's were Ramsey and Alexander. Alexander got 3 more votes than Burns. Maybe first team All ACC isn't a whole lot to brag about either, though.

Steelers made the PFF list of 5-worst picks of round 1!! Not that that means any more than awards.

If Burns pans out. What will his slogan be?

"You just got Burned"?

Or

"It Burns it Burns!!!"?

Well, one implies that he just toasted a receiver, while the other one implies you better get to the doctor because you've been with too many hoes. I'll take the former.

Reactions: MTC
More than anything, this reminds me of the reaction of our TOTAL REACH pick of LeVeon Bell in the second round. Boy, a lot of people looked foolish on that one.

Let's not forget "Bustamalu"! Initially I was pretty bummed out about the pick, but the more I read about him the better I like him.

Well, one implies that he just toasted a receiver, while the other one implies you better get to the doctor because you've been with too many hoes. I'll take the former.

Now that second one made me spit out my energy drink

He's 6 ft tall with 33 inch arms. Almost every other CB has 31 inch arms. That gives Burns a huge catch radius, nevermind the reach to just get a hand in to tip a ball away.

The reason so many media people are so down on the pick is because he's not a guy they know. Artie Burns was not a guy that was often talked about. I watch NFL Network quite often and he was barely discussed.

I liked Jackson more but only because he seems more ready to play immediately.

When i look at the draft and who i want the steelers to draft, i don't just look at the grade. I look at the fit. I believe in units being diverse. So, at LB, i don't want 2 run stuffers at ILB. I'd like 1 run stuffer and 1 coverage guy. It's the same in the secondary.

That's why i liked the Golson pick last year. He brought something the Steelers did not have in his man skills. I don't care that he's short. What WRs kill the steelers? It's those short quick guys. That's because the steelers have usually had physical zone CBs who struggle to cover a quick guy.

Now you add in Burns and they have a CB with some length. You have a guy who can cover a tall WR like AJ Green and even TEs. I love what Burns brings to the mix. The only negative i see is that it may take him some time to be a starter because he is raw. But i do expect him to contribute immediately as a role player.

Alexander is the last decent, healthy corner. KC will prob take him. There are concerns about Fuller's knees.

Right. We could have had Alexander and 3rd round pick or Burns.

We could have had Billings and a third round pick or Burns.

And Burns could have been there at #31, we can't say for sure.