• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Window Is Now; Go All In For Rodgers

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers haven’t seemed this vulnerable in many years. Probably not since the 1980s when they were at their worst since the 1960s. But it could be a quick fix this off-season. Let me tell you why.

Last season the Steelers took the first steps in their mini-rebuild. Which wouldn’t of ever had to happen if it wasn’t for a pandemic that shrunk the salary cap by 30 million dollars. Depth took a back seat, and putting players in uniforms was the most important thing for General Manager Kevin Colbert. Rashaad Coward, and Joe Haeg were a few of the key depth pieces that the Steelers signed last year. Thats basically all you need to know about their salary cap situation.

Now the 2021 Draft was the first step the Steelers took in the right direction.

While some will argue that taking Najee Harris, and Pat Freiermuth instead of linemen doomed their 2021 season, it was the right move for the future. Truthfully it probably did doom their 2021 season, but one last ditch effort for Ben Roethisberger was the route the decided to go, and I’m okay with that.

Regardless of what happened last year, the fact of the matter is that the Steelers now have a featured running back for the first time since 2017. That’s important because they’re going to need to rely on their running game regardless of what quarterback they end up bringing in, being two dimensional has always been a successful road for the Steelers and it’s time to get back on it.

Freiermuth factors into both of those situations. He’s a willing blocker, and he’s a more athletic version of Heath Miller. Hands like Miller, and moves like Travis Kelce. It’s a deadly combination and should fill a hole that was gapping since Miller retired.

Now if you go out and get Aaron Rodgers he can jump right into an offense with weapons. Diontae Johnson is coming off a stellar year in an offense that was as far from dynamic as you can get. He hauled in over 100 receptions for 1100 yards and 8 touchdowns. It’s likely that JuJu Smith-Schuster will be headed out of town, but that will provide an opportunity for Chase Claypool to show that he’s matured heading into his third season. The talent, size, and attitude it there for Claypool. He just needs to channel it all together in a positive way. Insert a mid-round draft choice, and Rodgers is set with vast majority of weapons at every position.

Now now, I can hear you complaining about the offensive line. Let’s get to that. You fill it in the 2022 Draft. There is a variety of ways the Steelers could go in the draft. Center, Guard, Tackle are all on the table. If you get a center in the first round, you can move Kendrick Green to guard. That is his natural position. If you get a shot at the best guard in the draft you can plug him in with Kevin Dotson at either guard positions and that will be a big upgrade over Trai Turner. More support from the guards should in turn help out Green at center. It’s likely that Dan Moore Jr will stay at left tackle, but a right tackle could also be the way the Steelers go in the first round. Any way you slice it, you come back with the next best available lineman in the second round. Solidify that front for Rodgers.

Now you have a formidable front, weapons, and Rodgers. The offense is back, and if everyone stays healthy you have a Super Bowl caliber offense.

With Rodgers you know what else you’re not doing? You’re not wasting Cameron Heyward’s final chapter. Not to mention you have the best defensive player in the NFL in TJ Watt. Oh, and lets not forget Minkah Fitzpatrick. That’s an All-Pro at every level of your defense.

Heyward isn’t getting any younger, and even though he’s player perhaps his best football of his career he needs help from his offense. He, and Watt scored the only first half points for the Steelers in the playoffs this season. We won’t re-live that nightmare any more. If you spend four years trying to find a quarterback you’re wasting these guys. And in four years you’ll have to replace them, or at least give them more of a supporting cast.

We’ve already lived that chapter. It happened when Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Deshea Townsend, Brett Kiesel, Bryant McFadden, Casey Hampton, and Ryan Clark retired. The Steelers spent multiple years with a prime Roethlisberger, Le’Veon Bell, Antonio Brown, David Decastro, and Maurkice Pouncey. They made it to one AFC Championship game. Heyward was here during that time too, but he wasn’t the player he developed into the past 3-4 years. Drafting Jarvis Jones, Artie Burns, Sean Davis, and Ryan Shazier’s tragic injury cost the Steelers. A team that’s always home grown with draft picks, and up against the cap can’t overcome those missed draft picks, and the loss of potentially the best middle linebacker in the NFL.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

If Rams win the SB. The last 2 SB winners brought in their QB for that year. If we bring in any established QB we will need to revamp our OL. Otherwise, it simply is a waste.

And pay the price for a decade. There is no window with the current coaching staff. Build pieces till the Rooneys ****** wake up.
Meh. If we bring in Rodger(or Wilson etc) and win the SB next year it might just be worth it. We just went through 10 years of ....nothing.

When we win back to back SB’s with AR his name will be sacred in Steeltown
The only question remaining will be if he goes into the hall as a Steeler or Cheesehead
😀😀

Once more unless he is willing to come here for a giant discount then absolutely not…. I don’t understand why people think hed be better here with a lesser cast around him…

Aaron Rogers in all his years in the league has been to one SB and if not for Ben throwing a pick six, killing another drive with an int, then Mendenhall’s fumble, we win and Rogers has zero SB wins.
Point being, he’s won nothing except the gift we gave the Packers in the 2011 SB. He has a better team in GB with better coaching so why would anyone think he comes here and takes this team to a SB? We are not a big name QB away from a SB. Way too many holes plus still have Tomlin.

If Rodgers was much younger, say maybe 30, I'd say hell yeah... But, he's not and will be very expensive. Not to mention previous injuries at his age behind our OL.

It really hit me today watching pre game. A few years ago there was a Super Bowl commercial about “after today, we’re all undefeated again”. Loved that hope as we turned page to the upcoming season. I really hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I just have little hope we are gonna be relevant. For the first time in my life I have doubts about ownerships commitment to really winning. I hope I’m wrong and I’ll be cheering hard come next September, but I’m just not as hopeful of the future as I have been in the past. Please prove me wrong Mr. Art……

Aaron Rogers in all his years in the league has been to one SB and if not for Ben throwing a pick six, killing another drive with an int, then Mendenhall’s fumble, we win and Rogers has zero SB wins.
Point being, he’s won nothing except the gift we gave the Packers in the 2011 SB. He has a better team in GB with better coaching so why would anyone think he comes here and takes this team to a SB? We are not a big name QB away from a SB. Way too many holes plus still have Tomlin.
Lol......” if not for Ben throwing a pick six,killing another drive with an interception,then Mendenhall’s fumble,we win and Rogers has zero SB wins”

My my. Is that all?

So AR who had zero turnovers and totally outperformed Ben ( sorry Ben) shouldn’t have won? This has to be one of the worst homer quotes I have read in all my time here. That’s saying a lot.

I guess in this context Ben shouldn’t have won against Seattle.
QB passing rating of 22.6
9-21. 123 yards.
2 int’s
Fast Willie 75 yards
Randle El throws 43 yarder to you know who.

I guess Ben only won one
And I thought I had read it all. Man.

Whatever QB they get they will need to upgrade the Oline. Even if they go with the scrubs on the roster. They have the money to do that so bringing in a QB wouldn't prevent that. I think Aaron stays where he is. I am always in the if you can get a franchise QB you do it. I know one thing Aaron would be a hell of a lot more entertaining to watch than Rudolph. Rams very well can win today and they hold the blueprint how you can use free agency as a benefit. With Colbert out how much stock can we put in draft picks in the immediate future anyways. I think some people's dislike for Tomlin or Aaron overshadows the desire to win and win now. Every year I want to win now. I don't buy into the hold off and see if we get lucky in draft positioning theory. That is just as inexact as the next subject.

My pipedream is still alive and well! It just is what it is a pipedream.😁

Reactions: MTC
Perfectly stated and until the Rooneys realize the end nothing else matters. I will watch the Combine, I will watch the draft, I will listen and read about camp and will cheer them on every preseason and regular season and hopefully post season but this is what I truly believe in my heart and have for at least 5 years.

Lol......” if not for Ben throwing a pick six,killing another drive with an interception,then Mendenhall’s fumble,we win and Rogers has zero SB wins”

My my. Is that all?

So AR who had zero turnovers and totally outperformed Ben ( sorry Ben) shouldn’t have won? This has to be one of the worst homer quotes I have read in all my time here. That’s saying a lot.

I guess in this context Ben shouldn’t have won against Seattle.
QB passing rating of 22.6
9-21. 123 yards.
2 int’s
Fast Willie 75 yards
Randle El throws 43 yarder to you know who.

I guess Ben only won one
And I thought I had read it all. Man.
You take those three plays out and the Steelers win. Not saying Rogers is not a franchise QB but Ben and Mendenhall helped that day.
This has nothing to do with comparing Ben and Rodgers it’s pointing out some facts about that game,
Rodgers will not get this team to a SB. He couldn’t get past the Niners with a better team in GB with better coaching.

Whatever QB they get they will need to upgrade the Oline. Even if they go with the scrubs on the roster. They have the money to do that so bringing in a QB wouldn't prevent that. I think Aaron stays where he is. I am always in the if you can get a franchise QB you do it. I know one thing Aaron would be a hell of a lot more entertaining to watch than Rudolph. Rams very well can win today and they hold the blueprint how you can use free agency as a benefit. With Colbert out how much stock can we put in draft picks in the immediate future anyways. I think some people's dislike for Tomlin or Aaron overshadows the desire to win and win now. Every year I want to win now. I don't buy into the hold off and see if we get lucky in draft positioning theory. That is just as inexact as the next subject.

You and I

#Rodgers2022

Y'all crack me up. when the team that Cowher had developed started to leave, this team went to ****. We had a HOF quarterback surrounded by a group of players that Tomlin tried to develop, how many SB's did that net us. If you think Rodgers is going to come in here and magically carry us to the promised land you need to get a grip. The only thing Rodgers is going to do for this team is put us in cap hell then ride off into the sunset with millions of steeler dollars.

I don't know if Jesus himself could lead this team to the promised land, at least not while we keep the same status quo attitude that suffocates this team.

also as my last point of contention; Rodgers is literally only a few months younger than Ben. how long will he hold up behind this line. Ben was great because he was one of the toughest QB's to ever play this game, Rodgers aint Ben. He may be mobile but like Mike Tyson said "everyone's got a plan till they get punched in the mouth"

The window has closed tight! Move on please and realize this team needs critical pieces, one being a legit NFL QB. Holes to fill on OL,DL,CB,and uncertainty with Bush at ILB. Now add to that most likely losing Washington, JuJu from the receiver room so have to at least add some talent at that spot.
The coaching from top to bottom is mostly average, we don’t do a great job developing young players. Where in the **** does anyone think the window is slightly open? That’s crazy!

You take those three plays out and the Steelers win. Not saying Rogers is not a franchise QB but Ben and Mendenhall helped that day.
This has nothing to do with comparing Ben and Rodgers it’s pointing out some facts about that game,
Rodgers will not get this team to a SB. He couldn’t get past the Niners with a better team in GB with better coaching.
I love how you're putting the pick six on Ben, and not Keno, i mean he only got shoved into Ben's lap as he was throwing to a streaking Wallace. But you're right, that was Ben.

Hartings and Johnson are the main reasons Mendenhall was blown up and fumbled. Hell Johnson had two packers in his sights and missed them both. Hartings missed Matthew's, so Mendenhall was crushed by 3 packers at once.

Packers made the plays that were needed that day, we didn't gift them anything.

Rudolph isn't bad enough to get the Steelers to 2-3 wins so they have a chance at Young or Stroud and, as you said, he would be less entertaining to watch than Rodgers, Wilson, Jimmy G., Wentz, Trubisky, Winston, and Mariota.

I love how you're putting the pick six on Ben, and not Keno, i mean he only got shoved into Ben's lap as he was throwing to a streaking Wallace. But you're right, that was Ben.

Hartings and Johnson are the main reasons Mendenhall was blown up and fumbled. Hell Johnson had two packers in his sights and missed them both. Hartings missed Matthew's, so Mendenhall was crushed by 3 packers at once.

Packers made the pick 6. Packers intercepted Ben to kill a drive. LBer Matthews blew up Mendenhall to force the fumble. Yep, they made the plays but we helped make those plays possible. No one made Ben throw from deep in his own territory or throw the interception killing a drive. That’s on Ben!
Mendenhall’s fumble was a good hit by Clay Matthews pure and simple.
Just saying those three plays cost us the win.

That game was tough to watch given how close the Steelers were to winning despite the bad plays (and how Rodgers was absolutely lights out). If Kemo makes a block, that pass to Wallace goes for 6. He easily had his man beat and Ben had him.

This Rodgers to the Steelers needs to stop. It's not going to happen. It never was going to happen. He would be too expensive, he wouldn't last long under the current state of the Oline, and before all that the Packers are not going to let him go.......probably.

This Rodgers to the Steelers needs to stop. It's not going to happen. It never was going to happen. He would be too expensive, he wouldn't last long under the current state of the Oline, and before all that the Packers are not going to let him go.......probably.
It’s nice to speculate. Of course it won’t happen lol.