• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Taliban 2, USA 1

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
In moves that stunned the feckless US intelligence community and US leadership, the Taliban has quickly moved to negotiate a quick transition of government, entering Kabul without resistance, suggesting that there would be no fighting if a peaceful transition happened. In related development, the Afghan President has already fled, helicopters are evacuating personnel from US and other Western embassies, and Bagram Air Base has been handed over to the Taliban who have simply released hundreds of prisoners, including Al Queda leaders. To add insult to injury, the US government's investment in arming the Afghan Armed Forces seems to have been completely given over to the Taliban.

Clearly, this is the most embarrassing global development since the Iranian Embassy hostage taking in the late 1970s.

Given the huge costs this will bring to the many people of Afghanistan, population 38 million, especially the women who will return to subjugation/slavery and those who had been helpful to the American-led regime of the past 20 years, questions about how this happened and where the money went should be immediately investigated. This has cost the US and its allies greatly, in terms of soldiers lives, credibility and costs born from taxpayers. Consecutive American leaders, from W thru Bomma, Orange Man Bad and now Genocide Joe have provided the fodder for the coming resurgence of global terror. Its almost like they drew it up and needed to find a way to hand over the keys.

Disgusting

When we first entered Afghanistan I said the focus has to be on getting Bin Laden and getting out.

The focus started shifting to destroying the Taliban and nation building and we all knew that would not work.

Then we killed Bin Laden in Pakistan. I said that is the only objective measure of victory we need to pull out tomorrow with every thing not nailed down and the stuff that is nailed down needs to be wired with explosives.

We stayed and continued nation building and training the "Afghan" army who are now defecting to the Taliban En Mass.

We do not learn from history. Every time we train and arm Muslims they turn on us. We watch time and again as Muslims demand Sharia even after the migrate to other nations. The reason the Taliban is back so quickly is they never left. The average Afghani is a believer in that type of Islamist governance they are all the Taliban.

When we first entered Afghanistan I said the focus has to be on getting Bin Laden and getting out.

The focus started shifting to destroying the Taliban and nation building and we all knew that would not work.

Then we killed Bin Laden in Pakistan. I said that is the only objective measure of victory we need to pull out tomorrow with every thing not nailed down and the stuff that is nailed down needs to be wired with explosives.

We stayed and continued nation building and training the "Afghan" army who are now defecting to the Taliban En Mass.

We do not learn from history. Every time we train and arm Muslims they turn on us. We watch time and again as Muslims demand Sharia even after the migrate to other nations. The reason the Taliban is back so quickly is they never left. The average Afghani is a believer in that type of Islamist governance they are all the Taliban.
Diarrheastan is an unwinnable deal. We never should have been there. The Afghans are a primitive tribal people with loyalty to their tribe, not their nation or government, such as it is.

Most US embassy staffers in Afghanistan were awaiting evacuation at Kabul airport Sunday — which was “taking fire” as Taliban forces moved in amid the deteriorating situation, according to reports.

This could get ugly, fast.

Be sure that the Taliban is moving civilians to all military targets.

Where is POTUS?

Damn, that was quick. They first went toe to toe with the Soviets and now with America and the West. I think this many decades in, it's no question who runs the show in Afghanistan. The Taliban may be the most resilient group on the planet. If they do anything stupid from hereon, I guess all that's left are high-precision airstrikes & drone campaigns. I doubt *anyone* is gonna want to go back into that shithole again.

This makes me sick! It is not now, nor was it ever our responsibility to save the world or “fix” other countries.

this will go down as a huge clusterfuck. Republicans will get blamed of course. This entire thing has been doomed from the beginning. You can not fix countries that have been fighting for decades.

this passive bullshit needs to end. We are literally paying for another country that was just overtaken by the Taliban

Reactions: MTC
Most US embassy staffers in Afghanistan were awaiting evacuation at Kabul airport Sunday — which was “taking fire” as Taliban forces moved in amid the deteriorating situation, according to reports.

This could get ugly, fast.

Be sure that the Taliban is moving civilians to all military targets.

Where is POTUS?
He doesn’t even know what decade it is..

I would have never armed them. I certainly would have destroyed all of the equipment left behind. We should should have shot all of those Al Qaeda or taken them with.We're talking hundreds now free from prison on the base we abandoned. I'm sure they're pretty pissed, but they'll probably move on to a quiet life now of growing opium poppies and singing campfire songs

We will see them again unfortunately. We should have bailed after Osama was killed.

Reactions: MTC
This thread title is misleading.

We accomplished what we set out to do. And that is go after those who attacked us on 9/11. Took out bin Laden and dealt Al Quada a crushing blow.

With that accomplished, we should have bailed years ago.

If the Taliban is the omnipresent political and cultural force it seems to be, they will run Afghanistan however they see fit. Just gotta make sure we limit their terrorist outreach from afar. Other than that, it's a sovereign nation, let them do as they please.

This thread title is misleading.

We accomplished what we set out to do. And that is go after those who attacked us on 9/11. Took out bin Laden and dealt Al Quada a crushing blow.

With that accomplished, we should have bailed years ago.

If the Taliban is the omnipresent political and cultural force it seems to be, they will run Afghanistan however they see fit. Just gotta make sure we limit their terrorist outreach from afar. Other than that, it's a sovereign nation, let them do as they please.
On this date in history I agreed with Tibs.

The U.S. flag has been taken down at the embassy in Kabul, an official said.
Just yesterday, State Department official Ned Price said "this is not an evacuation". Its in the ABC video in the story above at about 3:00.

Biden's top military advice was to leave a force of 3500-4000. He disagreed for a bit, now more troops are being sent back to ferry folks out. This is surreal. Incompetent.

Listen to Marth Radditz at the 5:00 minute mark. $83 Billion in training and equipment: Failure. Training: Failed. Negotiations with Taliban: failed. US Intelligence: failed.
Contingency planning: failed.

I hope that the Taliban lets the Westerners leave peacefully. Maybe it is the new "hope and change" Taliban.

I've been watching talking heads all week tell us that Kabul will likely fall "in the next 90 days". I wondered why they thought it would take so long, I figured a week or two. Little did I know it'd happen in less than 90 hours, never mind 90 days.

Hope everyone can get out safe & sound.

The U.S. flag has been taken down at the embassy in Kabul, an official said.
Just yesterday, State Department official Ned Price said "this is not an evacuation". Its in the ABC video in the story above at about 3:00.

Biden's top military advice was to leave a force of 3500-4000. He disagreed for a bit, now more troops are being sent back to ferry folks out. This is surreal. Incompetent.

Listen to Marth Radditz at the 5:00 minute mark. $83 Billion in training and equipment: Failure. Training: Failed. Negotiations with Taliban: failed. US Intelligence: failed.
Contingency planning: failed.

I hope that the Taliban lets the Westerners leave peacefully. Maybe it is the new "hope and change" Taliban.

The only failure was politicians getting in the way the first go. Would this not have eventuality have happened? Yeah I think so, but not taking the whole **** back in. A week. If they were allowed to shred them from the get, ahhh.

How have the Taliban been able to fight so well with Covid and being unvaccinated?

We should have never stayed after we got Bin Laden. The Taliban is not a group of people that is fixed. Everyone there can be the Taliban. The people live in tribes with tribal elders. They don't even know they are living in Afghanistan. We should have never tried nation building. It will never work.

The idea of getting out of the area I agree with. the timing was horrible

Seems Biden is trying to blame the intelligence community. Give it a few days and the media will have this as Trump's fault.