• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The End of the Race-Norming System in the NFL: Black Players are Watching

Shush… if people figure out the real problems we might not be divided and might unite to kick the ***** of all the jackasses that really deserve it…
I’m readily available when the time comes

JMM, I understand where you're going w/ this. I do.

The point the article is making (and I'm supporting) is that some players have not been treated with the same equality as others. For those that choose to learn more rather than see this as 'race baiting' (thanks Bleeder) - go look at the disparaging facts of the mistreatment of black women in hospitals. Same type of story and as the father of TWO black women I can share a couple of stories that support what you'll find online.

I applaud any person who can work hard and 'mind his/her business' while treating those that you encounter w/ equality. Thanks for listening.
Berm, I'm totally serious when I ask the question. It is a huge topic at work and whites are totally afraid to even speak for fear of being labeled as a racist. I just wish that we could all just get along. All that should matter is that if one is a good person to one another or if one is a prick.

Shush… if people figure out the real problems we might not be divided and might unite to kick the ***** of all the jackasses that really deserve it…
There are also a lot of special interest groups on both sides that depend on the division and feed the beast. Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever come together, there's too much riding on us not getting together.

Racism is a scapegoat for the real issue. Poverty.

Community’s are often stuck in an endless cycle of poverty. This affects all races. Blacks and hispanics seem to be the poster child for the stereotype.

What many perceive as laziness and whining for government handouts, it’s more so an aggressive plea for hope, for a chance to get ahead.

I’ve grown up around gangs, and sketchy neighborhoods. I’m glad I have parents who pushed me to ignore that life and I’m really lucky I married a lady who know matter how much I wanted to quit and just accept my role in the caste system, didn’t allow me to.

Being out in the real world. Although I ignore it, it sucks when people clench their belongings tighter, expect you to behave a certain way. Etc.

I’m not surprised by the nfl but this is beyond football and I’m glad this at least raised awareness even if there is a disagreement
The system is rigged against everyone who isn’t exceptionally rich… it’s built to keep the poor poor and strip the middle class of everything.

This particular nfl policy is just an extension of the original owners plan to try to thwart everyone trying to get compensation for the brain damage they got… this way they can still keep most of the players from getta fair evaluation

The Steelers treatment of Webster and to a lesser extent strelcyzk should embarrass the franchise enough that it goes out of its way to take care of all its ex players

The system is rigged against everyone who isn’t exceptionally rich… it’s built to keep the poor poor and strip the middle class of everything.

This particular nfl policy is just an extension of the original owners plan to try to thwart everyone trying to get compensation for the brain damage they got… this way they can still keep most of the players from getta fair evaluation

The Steelers treatment of Webster and to a lesser extent strelcyzk should embarrass the franchise enough that it goes out of its way to take care of all its ex players
I still remember Justin's situation crossing the wires...Couldn't believe it. Still can't.

I'm not making any real commentary on this but will say this. I reserve judgement until I fully understand the difference in treatment of African American and White players. Just because old Dookie Davenport launches a lawsuit doesn't make it so. Anyone can fire off a legal complaint. How was the testing threshold different and if it was why?

I'm not making any real commentary on this but will say this. I reserve judgement until I fully understand the difference in treatment of African American and White players. Just because old Dookie Davenport launches a lawsuit doesn't make it so. Anyone can fire off a legal complaint. How was the testing threshold different and if it was why?
For those that truly want to read more on the topic so we can turn this into a valuable discussion:

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/...ted-states/racial-disparities-in-health-care/

A one pager semi-long...

For those that truly want to read more on the topic so we can turn this into a valuable discussion:

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/...ted-states/racial-disparities-in-health-care/

A one pager semi-long...
I can't speak for other doctors but I know my dad, uncle, and cousin could care less what their patient's skin color was. I know my Dad make house calls for black patients late at night and likely they were never charged...I was a kid in the car going with him on those calls..

I have no doubt that there are in equalities but look at the corporations, don't throw out the entire race which is what the author appears to be very much wanting to do. She very well might make a healthy living feeding that beast of division.

The Bleacher Report article I read basically said the lawsuit alleges that because individual baselines do not exist that the black players have a lower cognitive baseline thus making it more difficult for them to prove signs of dementia related to brain trauma and CTE. If that is fact I would consider that to be more than troubling.

All these guys got entrance into college and had to write SATs. Why don't they look at that as the norm reference?

Berm, I'm totally serious when I ask the question. It is a huge topic at work and whites are totally afraid to even speak for fear of being labeled as a racist. I just wish that we could all just get along. All that should matter is that if one is a good person to one another or if one is a prick.
Sadly race relations seemed to be much better and more harmonious all through the 80's and 90's than they are today. The real question we all should be asking ourselves is what the **** happened and how did we allow ourselves to be led here in 2022?

The owners stay billionaires while wooing players with large contracts and broken down bodies in retirement that eats into that contract eventually. It’s a rich stay rich, poor stay poor system. Some players are smart enough to walk away intact. It may not sit well with the fans, but I cannot blame these guys for taking the money and retiring while they can.

Sadly race relations seemed to be much better and harmonious all through the 80's and 90's than they are today. The question we all should be asking ourselves is what the **** happened and how did we allow ourselves to be led here in 2022?
Go back to 2008, 2009, 2010. Political correctness started becoming a social norm nation wide. Now that a bunch more of the generation who grew up in the participation trophy culture are of age to work, and influence.

It’s just the youth trend. I’m sure hippies and the sort were the same in the 60’s/70’s. Tensions should taper off as the generation gets older and has families.

Go back to 2008, 2009, 2010. Political correctness started becoming a social norm nation wide. Now that a bunch more of the generation who grew up in the participation trophy culture are of age to work, and influence.

It’s just the youth trend. I’m sure hippies and the sort were the same in the 60’s/70’s. Tensions should taper off as the generation gets older and has families.
I have a better answer...

The information rush started in 2008. Our phones turned into mini computers fully equip with a GPS and camera.

Social media applications began to take off and reality shows became normal.

Information and actions that normally didn't get attention were now front and center for the entire world to see because everyone's desire to share.

25 years ago this story would never even have made the nightly news or it would have been buried deep in the sports section of a newspaper...

Reactions: MTC
You know he does it every time I speak to the topic. I really question how he could have served this country with his shtick...
wait for a minute. we have been buds on this board for years and you are black? black? you luck ****. i am Indian/mix as in we get into restaurants fast because we already have reservations.

I skimmed but it didn't really say how /why Black players in the NFL were being unfairly tested for signs of CTE in comparison to their white counterparts.

Exactly. You dont know the underwriting/ actuary work that they come up with the formula. Its insurance. I dont know either. The low hanging fruit that bermudasteel chooses is that its a simply racist thing. MAYBE it is! And that would be bullshit. Just like berm jumping in and making his popcorn meme and claiming the 3/5ths person bullshit from 1840. But no we cant discuss it,, tell each other what we know... what we learned.. Why they do it/did it this way.. No.... Youre a ******* race baiting jack off. It has nothign to do with veteran status, and everything to do with victim mentality.

that was a joke right?

Not at all. Anytime there is an issue or topic on race, he jumps in here and acts like he is going to show the world he knows bettter because hes of color. I called him out on it many times. Im not letting it go anymore.

Exactly

Priorities change when entering different stages of life. Technology has changed how younger people entering workforce make more money than previous generations, But the demographics are predictable. You have kids, house, and actually have to start looking at real retirement savings, it’ll shift again and so forth.

When today’s millennials become yesterdays boomers.

Reactions: MTC