• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Hypocrisy of Hollywood

DQ9fE8fXkAAfVjB.jpg

xtaTaTg.jpg

I bet MEN come forward and say Obama groped them......

Anybody that has served in the military in any leadership capacity knows what kind of bullshit this is. It was prevalent enough for women to make false accusations that it was taught back in the late 80s and early 90s that you should never be behind closed doors alone with a female subordinate. The idea that we shouldn't ruin a man's life simply based on the unproven accusation of a woman is evil, unethical, and morally bankrupt. I can tell you what the end game is going to be if we are going to allow women to ruin a man's life without proof and due process in the workplace. Businesses will simply stop hiring female staff because the risk of having female employees will far outweigh the benefit of having them work there.

Anybody that has served in the military in any leadership capacity knows what kind of bullshit this is. It was prevalent enough for women to make false accusations that it was taught back in the late 80s and early 90s that you should never be behind closed doors alone with a female subordinate. The idea that we shouldn't ruin a man's life simply based on the unproven accusation of a woman is evil, unethical, and morally bankrupt. I can tell you what the end game is going to be if we are going to allow women to ruin a man's life without proof and due process in the workplace. Businesses will simply stop hiring female staff because the risk of having female employees will far outweigh the benefit of having them work there.

That’s exactly what I said earlier. That it will lead to segregated workplaces, in the very least.

My view is myopic? Please, don't use that term and then put statements in your post that aren't based on fact. Near-sighted indeed.

Ok, I'm not sure where you are getting facts on this case, and I will be the first to say it was a bullshit case, but my point is that they proclaimed innocence and guess what......they were found innocent. They are not on a sex offender registry, all charges were dropped and the prosecutor, Mike Nifong, was found in contempt of court for false statements and fraud. He was also disbarred. The case was dropped fairly quickly. It was a shame they didn't press charges against Mangum, they should have, but her dumb *** is in jail rotting now because she killed her boyfriend. The boys that were accused left Duke, which is another shame but to act like they never played again is false. Two of them in fact played Lacrosse for other schools and one went to a championship or tournament the other led his team in scoring. The third one just went to another university. They settled with Duke for an undisclosed amount. The main fallout occurred when Jesse Jackson got involved and tried to create a racism issue. When they were found innocent he tucked tail and ran. He's a piece of **** for never admitting to being wrong or apologizing. The Lacrosse coach was forced out of his job by co-workers and he also received a settlement from Duke for this. Two other players were given failing grades from a certain professor, and were also awarded settlements due to this and the professor was removed. The season was suspended, unfortunately, but the program wasn't shut down indefinitely. Not sure, where you are getting your facts from, but I'm from NC and this case was all over the news here, and with lots and lots of detail. Watching Mike Nifong have to claim bankruptcy due to not being able to practice was awesome.

There was fallout from this and it is a shame that they were falsely accused. I never stated it doesn't happen, it does. My point is that they were innocent and found to be innocent. These other people that are being accused now are not denying, and some are floundering with their "memories" of the situations or are just stepping down and walking away. Why? Because they did that ****, that is why and they know it, and they know it can be proved. Why wouldn't they fight if they were innocent.

I guess I'm struggling with the constant pointing out in this thread of exceptions, or small minority of people that are ******** and lie and drop false accusations for gain. They are in a minority, but why should those that are being truthful and bringing it out in the open not do so. People in general can be liars, but those liars shouldn't be the reason the truth gets squashed. **** people who lie, and **** people who use their power to intimidate and make others feel powerless. Neither is right.

In the ESPN Documentary Fantastic Lies, they mentioned many of the players remain on the sex offenders registry list. In North Carolina, when you get on it, you remain on it for 30 years. That's where that information comes from. That should simultaneously not be tolerated.

The false accusations cost Duke $100Million in settlements alone.

I'll repeat to you what I've stated to OFTB. There's this idea that I'm against women coming out now against sexual abuse. I'm not, I'm all for it. We should push forward and encourage more women to come forward and overcome their fears of retribution and humiliation.

SIMULTANEOUSLY we must recognize that false accusations will increase. It's mathematical. If 2% of all accusations are false, and accusations increase from from 100 to 1 million, so too will the number of false accusations. We have to deal with all of it. And these false accusations ruin lives, businesses, sports programs and drain tax payer dollars, police hours, and represent other opportunity costs not mentioned.

Last edited:
SIMULTANEOUSLY we must recognize that false accusations will increase. It's mathematical. If 2% of all accusations are false, and accusations from from 100 to 1 million, so too will the number of false accusations. We have to deal with all of it. And these false accusations ruin lives, businesses, sports programs and drain tax payer dollars, police hours, and represent other opportunity costs not mentioned.

Yes, that's probably true and of course any false accusations should be dealt with. But there's all this talk in this thread of men's lives being ruined by "just one accusation" and very, very few examples of that actually happening. It's a pretty big strawman. Again, the pattern seems to be multiple accusers, admissions of guilt, and some pretty egregious behavior that goes well beyond flirting or sexual banter.

equal opportunity

Kansas Dem Andrea Ramsey, accused of sexual harassment, will drop out of US House race

Andrea Ramsey, a Democratic candidate for Congress, will drop out of the race after the Kansas City Star asked her about accusations in a 2005 lawsuit that she sexually harassed and retaliated against a male subordinate who said he had rejected her advances.

Ramsey, a 56-year-old retired business executive from Leawood, was one of the Democratic candidates vying to challenge Republican Rep. Kevin Yoder in 2018 in Kansas’ 3rd District.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article189931704.html

Yes, that's probably true and of course any false accusations should be dealt with. But there's all this talk in this thread of men's lives being ruined by "just one accusation" and very, very few examples of that actually happening. It's a pretty big strawman. Again, the pattern seems to be multiple accusers, admissions of guilt, and some pretty egregious behavior that goes well beyond flirting or sexual banter.

Negative. See my prior post: http://www.steelernationforums.com/...y-of-Hollywood&p=447146&viewfull=1#post447146

There may be very few examples because you've not chosen to research it? From my prior post above and from this article: https://atixa.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Lisak-False-Allegations-16-VAW-1318-2010.pdf

An analysis of all 136 cases of sexual assault investigated by a university police department—using a coding system and independent raters, scrutinizing the classifications of the police, and applying a definition of false reports promulgated by the IACP—determined that 5.9%of the cases were false reports. These results are consistent with those of other studies thathave used similar methodologies to determine the prevalence of false rape reporting.

Among the seven studies that attempted some degree of scrutiny of police classification and/or applied a definition of false reporting at least similar to that of the IACP, the rate of false reporting, given the many sources of potential variation in findings, is relatively consistent:
2.1% (Heenan & Murray, 2006)
• 2.5% (Kelly et al., 2005)
• 3.0% (McCahill et al., 1979)
• 5.9% (the present study)
• 6.8% (Lonsway & Archambault, 2008)
• 8.3% (Grace et al., 1992)
• 10.3% (Clark & Lewis, 1977)
• 10.9% (Harris & Grace, 1999)

Contrary to your belief that there are very, very few examples, multiple studies show that anywhere between 2.1% and 10.9% of all sexual assault accusations are false.

They aren't making that up.

You seem to want to deny that the occurrence of false accusations happens, or that it's so rare we should ignore it. Using available studies, if there are a reported 100,000 sexual assaults in a region, 2,000 to 10,000 are false.

Is 2,000 to 10,000 false sexual assault accusations "very, very few?" and we should ignore them and disregard those lives affected?

Last edited:
Negative. See my prior post: http://www.steelernationforums.com/...y-of-Hollywood&p=447146&viewfull=1#post447146

There may be very few examples because you've not chosen to research it? From my prior post above and from this article: https://atixa.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Lisak-False-Allegations-16-VAW-1318-2010.pdf

Contrary to your belief that there are very, very few examples, multiple studies show that anywhere between 2.1% and 10.9% of all sexual assault accusations are false.

They aren't making that up.

I'm not talking about sexual assault in general, I'm talking about the recent rash of high profile men losing their jobs over harassment claims and this idea that 's starting to be perpetuated that it's all about "hysteria" or is a "witchhunt". You keep conflating the two. No one is denying that some women make these things up. The numbers that are not made up are overwhelmingly greater. Why are you so focused on the exceptions? You talk about the presumption of innocence and "saving just one", but you seem to have little concern for the 90% or so of women who are telling the truth. I'm not sure what remedy it is you'd advocate to "end the witchhunt". Should women just keep quiet and put up with it unless they have a photo or a videotape? Should employers ignore it unless there's a photo or videotape? What do you suggest?

What should happen is what is happening. Accusations are being evaluated, accusers and accused are being interviewed, credibility is being weighed, and decisions are being made by the parties involved on how best to handle it. Not sure what else you guys want. You don't need a jury trial to fire someone.

This is really just a way to silence women. Its a way to intimidate them into feeling like unless they have some kind of photographic or eyewitness testimony, they won't be taken seriously or believed.

I'm not talking about sexual assault in general, I'm talking about the recent rash of high profile men losing their jobs over harassment claims and this idea that 's starting to be perpetuated that it's all about "hysteria" or is a "witchhunt". You keep conflating the two.

No, I'm not. You keep assuming I'm arguing something I'm not. DBS jested "women wouldn't lie" and I've provided ample evidence that they do. When I provided said evidence, you and others have assumed I'm arguing against the current rash of accusations.

For the 33rd time, I'm glad they are happening. I believe the vast majority are guilty and the claims are true.

I'm also not naive enough to believe that 100% are accurate either.

I DO have a problem with where this could lead where we begin to place more and more credence into the accusation alone absent sufficient validation.

Period.

No, I'm not. You keep assuming I'm arguing something I'm not. DBS jested "women wouldn't lie" and I've provided ample evidence that they do. .

I know first hand that some women lie and make false accusation. My ex lied about me to my friends, family, the police, my attorneys, a judge and a psychiatrist. Thankfully, pretty much everyone knew she was making false allegations. It really sucks when someone lies about you and you don't have any real tangible evidence to dispute it other than denying it. There's a special place in Hell for people who lie about others for financial or political gain.

Tawana Brawley case, Duke Lacrosse case, Kobe Bryant Case, William Kennedy Smith Case, the false UVA Fraternity Rape story in Rolling Srone Magazine and on and on. But the RadFems insist that all men are predators and accusations must be believed regardless of proof or exculpatory facts. This attitude is why I am constantly warning my 14 year old son to be very warry in dealing with any female so he doesn't get get hemmed up for Mutual drunken tryst rape, next day regret rape, my friends don't like you rape, or we broke up and you refuse to take my calls rape.

Tawana Brawley case, Duke Lacrosse case, Kobe Bryant Case, William Kennedy Smith Case, the false UVA Fraternity Rape story in Rolling Srone Magazine and on and on. But the RadFems insist that all men are predators and accusations must be believed regardless of proof or exculpatory facts. This attitude is why I am constantly warning my 14 year old son to be very warry in dealing with any female so he doesn't get get hemmed up for Mutual drunken tryst rape, next day regret rape, my friends don't like you rape, or we broke up and you refuse to take my calls rape.

Your forgot the classic I want the house and sole custody rape.

Here it is, false accusations with no proof bought and paid for.

A well-known women’s rights lawyer sought to arrange compensation from donors and tabloid media outlets for women who made or considered making sexual misconduct allegations against Donald Trump during the final months of the 2016 presidential race, according to documents and interviews.

California lawyer Lisa Bloom’s efforts included offering to sell alleged victims’ stories to TV outlets in return for a commission for herself, arranging a donor to pay off one Trump accuser’s mortgage and attempting to secure a six-figure payment for another woman who ultimately declined to come forward after being offered as much as $750,000, the clients told The Hill.

The women’s accounts were chronicled in contemporaneous contractual documents, emails and text messages reviewed by The Hill, including an exchange of texts between one woman and Bloom that suggested political action committees supporting Hillary Clinton were contacted during the effort.

Bloom, who has assisted dozens of women in prominent harassment cases and also defended film executive Harvey Weinstein earlier this year, represented four women considering making accusations against Trump last year. Two went public, and two declined.
In a statement to The Hill, Bloom acknowledged she engaged in discussions to secure donations for women who made or considered making accusations against Trump before last year’s election.

Last edited:
You guys keep arguing that women make false accusations and no one is denying that. I'm asking, what is it exactly that you do want to happen? For most women to be disbelieved, because a few lie? Not really getting any answer to that question. If 90% of accusations are true (and many others are never even brought forward at all because of fear and intimidation), where's the witchhunt?

You guys keep arguing that women make false accusations and no one is denying that. I'm asking, what is it exactly that you do want to happen? For most women to be disbelieved, because a few lie? Not really getting any answer to that question. If 90% of accusations are true (and many others are never even brought forward at all because of fear and intimidation), where's the witchhunt?

I don't know that there is an answer. I'd like utopia, being a woman can come forward honestly and without repercussion with her accusations. In addition, I'd like some system in place where men's lives are protected from false accusations. Some burden of proof should be established before say a company can fire you over just an accusation. Maybe it's the courts. I don't know what the answer is. It's simply unfair for those falsely accused to have their lives ruined, and it's wrong to say "well we got 90% right." The 10% that weren't right damage lives.

In the ESPN Documentary Fantastic Lies, they mentioned many of the players remain on the sex offenders registry list. In North Carolina, when you get on it, you remain on it for 30 years. That's where that information comes from. That should simultaneously not be tolerated.

The false accusations cost Duke $100Million in settlements alone.

I'll repeat to you what I've stated to OFTB. There's this idea that I'm against women coming out now against sexual abuse. I'm not, I'm all for it. We should push forward and encourage more women to come forward and overcome their fears of retribution and humiliation.

SIMULTANEOUSLY we must recognize that false accusations will increase. It's mathematical. If 2% of all accusations are false, and accusations increase from from 100 to 1 million, so too will the number of false accusations. We have to deal with all of it. And these false accusations ruin lives, businesses, sports programs and drain tax payer dollars, police hours, and represent other opportunity costs not mentioned.

That documentary is wrong, none of the players are on the sex offenders list and the amount mentioned came from Crystal Mangum's book, and their lawyers stated that they didn't receive anywhere near that amount.

I'm not saying you are against women, at all. I am addressing some of the "holy **** us men better hide, we can't talk to women or even look at them" and that there is absolutely annoying as it portrays and extreme that is simply not true.

I am addressing some of the "holy **** us men better hide, we can't talk to women or even look at them" and that there is absolutely annoying as it portrays and extreme that is simply not true.

The following are only reported assaults:

Number_of_People_Victimized_Each_Year%20122016.png

If this graphic is accurate, annually there are 481,000 officially documented cases of sexual assault. I don't know if these are all cases that involve criminal charges only, or if they include accusations as well. I doubt they include accusations, but I don't know.

Studies over the past 30+ years show 2%-10% of accusations are false. That's 9,620 to 48,100 false accusations.

I think that's extreme. Possibly up to 48,000 people's lives (and the lives of their families) are negatively affected, possibly including divorce, loss of job, loss of finances, wrongful incarceration, wrongful addition to sex offenders registry lists, and more.

As Liberals like to say, if it saves just one life.

I would like a system that involves proper vetting. A system that makes women and men feel comfortable in bring accusations forward. And protection for those that would be the victims of those that would abuse the situation.

What we want is for basic principles of the rule of law to apply. Presumption of innocence, and objective proof before adverse action can be taken criminal or otherwise. And we want females that make false malicious accusations to face real punishment for it. Exactly the opposite of what you have been arguing for.

What we want is for basic principles of the rule of law to apply. Presumption of innocence, and objective proof before adverse action can be taken criminal or otherwise. And we want females that make false malicious accusations to face real punishment for it. Exactly the opposite of what you have been arguing for.

What? She has not been saying that people that falsely accuse shouldn't face punishment. Hell, I'm upset that Crystal Mangum didn't get charges brought against her for the bullshit she pulled. That being said, in a business they don't follow the same rule of law, Innocent until proven guilty, they do, however, weigh out all things before making a decision. Honestly, most cases are word against word, so in your scenario the woman would lose out every time because there would be no concrete proof. Hell, you know what......we should roll the clocks back about 20 or 30 years for you so we can go back to women just shutting the **** up for fear of losing their job while they watch sexual harassing jack ***** move up in the company.

It's ok honey, you just sit back shut up and look pretty.

Legally we are talking about two very different things. Because criminal assault is completely different from sexual harassment. As I've said numerous times on here, since sexual harassment is NOT CRIMINAL, only civilly liable, then we are in a completely different world of legaleze and terminologies. There is no "presumption of innocence". In civil court, that phrase doesn't exist. Everything in civil court exists in the gray zone. No black/white. All evidence just pushes the gray either lighter or darker.

And because we are talking civil liability we are only talking about MONEY compensation. That's it. You can sue your employer, you can sue your boss or co-worker but you CAN'T go to the police. So in all these cases, when you talk about only GRAYS and MONEY, you have to decide how to attack and defend yourself in this context.

That's why settlements are so common. It's not about BLACK OR WHITE guilt or innocence. Not in any of these cases. We are only talking degrees of gray and how your representation/lawyers advise you to make the best decision moving forward (for both parties). In almost every case of sexual harassment there is middle ground of guilt/innocence and some sort of monetary agreement is the only outcome (I mean, even if the woman sues in court and demands it all open and a jury trial, she still only gets money in the end - sometimes years after the fact).

I don't really have a good answer to this because these are all symptomatic of the problems with our civil court system in general. We've seen people found INNOCENT over a criminal case yet found guilty in civil court and made to pay millions for a crime they supposedly "didn't commit" (i.e. see O.J. Simpson). I'm not really sure I think that is fair.

I mean, what burden of "proof" do we want as a society for civil claims? Right now it's written in our laws and precedence that any percent of liability can still be held accountable financially. You can sue all the way up the line on any issue with the tentacles of liability accusing even the most obscure participants.

We are really confusing very different issues under this big umbrella right now of "sexual misconduct". I think we do that for the gun debate and really talk ourselves into very confusing positions as well.

The following are only reported assaults:

Number_of_People_Victimized_Each_Year%20122016.png

If this graphic is accurate, annually there are 481,000 officially documented cases of sexual assault. I don't know if these are all cases that involve criminal charges only, or if they include accusations as well. I doubt they include accusations, but I don't know.

Studies over the past 30+ years show 2%-10% of accusations are false. That's 9,620 to 48,100 false accusations.

I think that's extreme. Possibly up to 48,000 people's lives (and the lives of their families) are negatively affected, possibly including divorce, loss of job, loss of finances, wrongful incarceration, wrongful addition to sex offenders registry lists, and more.

As Liberals like to say, if it saves just one life.

I would like a system that involves proper vetting. A system that makes women and men feel comfortable in bring accusations forward. And protection for those that would be the victims of those that would abuse the situation.

Here’s the truth about false accusations of sexual violence
November 24, 2017 9.55am EST

Author
Lisa Lazard
Senior Lecturer in Psychology, The Open University

Disclosure statement

Lisa Lazard does not work for, consult, own shares in or receive funding from any company or organization that would benefit from this article, and has disclosed no relevant affiliations beyond their academic appointment.

Partners

The Open University

The Open University provides funding as a founding partner of The Conversation UK.

View all partners

Republish this article

Republish
Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under Creative Commons license.

It’s really not that common. Shutterstock

 Email
 Twitter
 Facebook
 LinkedIn

 Print

Why didn’t these women speak up sooner? This was asked time and time again during the recent public furore around sexual harassment, violence and abuse. Underlying the question is a persistent uncertainty about the credibility of victims – a concern with identifying what is true and what is false.

As women speak out, some have been met with explicit counter accusations that their descriptions are untrue. Others have been served with a defamation case which has resulted in the Solidarity Not Silence campaign to raise funds to fight the ensuing legal battle.

What’s clear is that the spectre of false allegation continues to dog the reporting of sexual violence. There remains a public impression that false allegations are common and that innocent people suffer as the result of being wrongfully accused.

The evidence on false allegations fails to support public anxiety that untrue reporting is common. While the statistics on false allegations vary – and refer most often to rape and sexual assault – they are invariably and consistently low. Research for the Home Office suggests that only 4% of cases of sexual violence reported to the UK police are found or suspected to be false. Studies carried out in Europe and in the US indicate rates of between 2% and 6%.

It’s important to recognise that even official statistics on false reporting can and have been inflated by other factors. Sometimes police record cases as “no crime” or “unfounded”. This can happen when it’s difficult to attain sufficient corroborating evidence. There is, however, a big difference between the inability to demonstrate in court that an offence has happened and claiming that these cases are false. These sorts of cases have nevertheless been conflated with false allegations.

False allegations have also been conflated with other kinds sexual violence complaints that have been logged as “no crime”. For example, sometimes people contact the police because they are worried that a crime might have been committed. Sometimes these concerns are raised with the police by a third party (a friend, relative or partner). Sometimes people contact the police because they have no memory of a period of time and are worried something may have been done to them. People often express relief when the results of medical examinations show no evidence of assault. These are not cases of false allegation. Despite this, there hasn’t always been a way of distinguishing these cases from false complaints when logging incidents as “no crime”.

Police forces and politicians are also under considerable pressure to lower crime rates. The “no crime” category can be used to remove difficult cases from the crime statistics. In the UK, when certain police forces have had their “no crime” rate monitored for consistency with Home Office guidance, the figures have dropped. This suggests they might have been reporting figures inaccurately before being monitored.

What is also infrequently talked about is that the rates for false allegations of sexual violence are no higher than those reported in other categories of crime. Even so, it’s fair to say that victims of other crimes (such as theft or burglary) are not so routinely treated with suspicion as are the victims of sexual violence.

By contrast… Shutterstock
A popular response to evidence on the rarity of false allegations is that even if they are uncommon, they do happen. This is taken as reason enough to be on guard. However, research suggests that the majority of false claims do not name an alleged perpetrator – they’re more likely to be relatively vague accusations about a stranger. False allegations also tend to be identified very early on in the investigative process, often by an admission from the complainant. Given this, the widespread concern that false allegations are rife, that they damage the life and reputation of the innocent, is often a red herring.

The bigger question

The weight and importance given to the issue of false allegation is surprising given how prevalent sexual violence is. For example, a recent large-scale study surveying 42,000 women found that up to 21% of women in the EU had experienced sexual harassment in the preceding 12 months. Estimates for the UK were higher at 25%. It’s likely that these figures are an underestimate given that research also suggests women often choose not to call their experiences “sexual harassment”.

This has also been found to be the case with other kinds of sexual violence. Indeed, women choose not to label their experiences using the language of sexual violence, even when their responses on questionnaires clearly marry with official definitions of it.

The reasons for this are complex and varied. Some women see their experiences as a normal part of everyday life – something that they have they simply have to deal with. Others worry about the repercussions if they do report incidents. This includes the potential impact on their professional standing, their ability to get work, their relationships and their personal reputation.

The importance given to the issue of false allegations diverts attention away from questions that are ultimately more instructive for preventing sexual violence. And in fact, asking why reports of sexual harassment and violence are treated with suspicion may bring us closer to understanding what we can do to lift the barriers to reporting and seeking successful redress. It will also ultimately bring us closer to understanding the conditions in which sexual harassment and violence are enabled.

Here it is, false accusations with no proof bought and paid for.

A well-known women’s rights lawyer sought to arrange compensation from donors and tabloid media outlets for women who made or considered making sexual misconduct allegations against Donald Trump during the final months of the 2016 presidential race, according to documents and interviews.

California lawyer Lisa Bloom’s efforts included offering to sell alleged victims’ stories to TV outlets in return for a commission for herself, arranging a donor to pay off one Trump accuser’s mortgage and attempting to secure a six-figure payment for another woman who ultimately declined to come forward after being offered as much as $750,000, the clients told The Hill.

The women’s accounts were chronicled in contemporaneous contractual documents, emails and text messages reviewed by The Hill, including an exchange of texts between one woman and Bloom that suggested political action committees supporting Hillary Clinton were contacted during the effort.

Bloom, who has assisted dozens of women in prominent harassment cases and also defended film executive Harvey Weinstein earlier this year, represented four women considering making accusations against Trump last year. Two went public, and two declined.
In a statement to The Hill, Bloom acknowledged she engaged in discussions to secure donations for women who made or considered making accusations against Trump before last year’s election.

Heard that on Hannity a few minutes ago. The media needs to jump all over this. But they won't.