• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Most Alarming Team Statistics Through Four Weeks

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
To say that the Pittsburgh Steelers struggles this year can be blamed on the offense is more true than not, but there are flaws all over for Mike Tomlin‘s squad. What once was a 1-0 team with high expectations, suddenly has fans all over the world hoping for a tank and a top 10 draft pick in 2022. There seems to be many issues when the Steelers take the field, whether it is the lack of explosion on offense and splash plays on defense, or even inconsistent punting from rookie Pressley Harvin III. Numbers do not tell the whole story, but here are some really alarming stats for the Steelers through four weeks of the regular season (in alphabetical order):

Defense Third Down Efficiency​

With as strong of a defense as Defensive Coordinator Keith Butler has, they have not performed well on third down. Opposing teams are converting 45.5% of the time whereas last year it was only at a 37.4% clip. It is no secret that the offense is not good and the more first downs for the opposition leads to more points which makes it extremely difficult to win football games right now.

Kick Return Yards Allowed​

Another statistical category, another unit ranked last in the league. The Steelers kicking team has allowed a league-high 265 kick return yards. This has been a concern for years now and the 2021 season is no different. The field position of opposing teams has been way too good and the defense can only do so much (allowing 10 field goal attempts already this season). With an average of 26.5 return yards, opponents are often beginning drives with only 70 yards or less to go for a touchdown. This unit needs to sharpen up and make an adjustment.

Punting Average​

Harvin III is only averaging 41.8 yards per punt. That is 4th worst in the NFL. To make it sting a little more, the Minnesota Vikings have one of the best punters in the league in ex-Steeler, Jordan Berry who is averaging 48.5. The two punters put on a show all training camp with Harvin III eventually winning the job. With a shaky offense, field position means everything to the Steelers and short punts will only hurt the cause even more. Harvin III needs to be better and prove Kevin Colbert right for taking a punter in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Red Zone Touchdowns​

The Steelers come in tied for 31st in the NFL with just four touchdowns when inside their opponents’ 20-yard line. An offense with Chase Claypool, Diontae Johnson, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Najee Harris and a Hall of Fame quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger has only managed to average one touchdown a week in the red zone. That is very bad and truthfully worries me even more than the rushing attack. This is paired with only eight trips to the red zone in the first few games. Crazier things have happened than a 1-3 team making the playoffs, but if the black and gold want any chance at all, this needs to be remedied, and quickly.

Rushing Attempts and Yards​

Najee Harris does not have much to work with in a young, inexperienced offensive line, but the offense only has 66 rushing attempts this season. That is by far last in the National Football League. Not to mention the embarrassing 221 total rushing yards. The hope of opening up a running attack and using the play action more often seems like a fantasy at this point. Do we owe Randy Fichtner an apology? This offense is no different than it was last year. It feels like the same tape is rolling from 2020 and there is no commitment to running the football and using Harris, a first round draft pick, nearly as much as he should be in the ground game.

Turnovers Forced​

The defense have had injury troubles, but managing to force only three turnovers is pretty bad in a four week span. Again, the other side of the ball on offense is not doing any favors to help the team win. Turnovers are a necessity if the Steelers want any chance in turning the season around. While there are many other teams with less, this is a statistical category the Steelers have dominated when having successful seasons in the past. Someone other than T.J. Watt and Cameron Heyward need to step up in this category too. Minkah Fitzpatrick is the first person that comes to mind.

What is the team statistic you are most worried about through the first four weeks of the 2021 season? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Suckaszidary

I will hang in there though and give SBWCMVLTCS ample chance to right the ship.

Salute the nation

They missed the easy stat: total wins

No doubt Comfluence, when we kicked Randy to the curb I was VERY hard driving him out but also wanted outside franchise OC brought in. I talked myself into Canada and haven't given up yet but on the edge. Appologize to Randy Fitchner...................... **** no and a huge laugh.

Win / Loss can change a lot of things,................... hell that 11-0 start made Coach Tomlin bearable, cliches and all.

Salute the nation

Soon hell will be unleashed! It won't be for the faint of heart, no sir-ee bob.

I cant believe we have 4 RZ TDs. Im surprised we even made it into the RZ that much.

Harvin has been getting pressured and I believe it’s causing some rushed punts… I don’t really blame him per se… plus it’s obvious from berry that Bubblelicious might be asking for directional kicks that shear off distance more…

Christ almighty, it's a freaking miracle that we have a notch in the win column! This is Bungles territory
giphy.gif

I said this before last year the Steelers really need to rethink who they are as a team. They didn’t and here we are… butler has one of highest payrolls of any defense in nfl and he gets nothing from it. Stats are misleading.. sacks for instance.. we use outside blitzers that are expensive but also hit and miss.. what is needed are schemes that pressure the qb consistently defend the run and can get off the field on third downs. Noll jr, the Dayton flyer, given his first nfl job by John Fox noll’s old secondary coach, killed last year with rams, now hc of chargers uses nolls old split safeties defense with greater innovation on the line of scrimmage. it confuses qbs allows more sacks, and is the one defense that can defend the feared “shanaham wide zone run offense” he’s best young coach I’ve seen in a very long time. wed do well to watch his tapes. I don’t no what the Steelers coaches do but they are so dated I’m waiting for butler to come out in a mullet. The gaff by butlers as to the bengals te just shows this staff is not engaged, its old and bored cant get out of its own way. I suggested last off season move tomlin upstairs, promote covert jr, hire branden Staley, noll jr, as head coach. I stand by that. We need new blood!!! We missed greatly on Staley. Go Steelers!!!

What is the team statistic you are most worried about through the first four weeks of the 2021 season? Let us know in the comments below!
Offensive passing yards per attempt. The Steelers (Ben) are 30th in the league at 6.1 YPA. The top 4 teams are all above 9. Ben's career average is 7.7, and this year's number is even worse than last season's awful 6.3. That's what happens when you throw dozens of passes behind the line of scrimmage, and rarely complete any deep balls.

And I wouldn't look for much improvement this week, as Denver's defense is second in the league at 6.1 YPA allowed.

I said this before last year the Steelers really need to rethink who they are as a team. They didn’t and here we are… butler has one of highest payrolls of any defense in nfl and he gets nothing from it. Stats are misleading.. sacks for instance.. we use outside blitzers that are expensive but also hit and miss.. what is needed are schemes that pressure the qb consistently defend the run and can get off the field on third downs. Noll jr, the Dayton flyer, given his first nfl job by John Fox noll’s old secondary coach, killed last year with rams, now hc of chargers uses nolls old split safeties defense with greater innovation on the line of scrimmage. it confuses qbs allows more sacks, and is the one defense that can defend the feared “shanaham wide zone run offense” he’s best young coach I’ve seen in a very long time. wed do well to watch his tapes. I don’t no what the Steelers coaches do but they are so dated I’m waiting for butler to come out in a mullet. The gaff by butlers as to the bengals te just shows this staff is not engaged, its old and bored cant get out of its own way. I suggested last off season move tomlin upstairs, promote covert jr, hire branden Staley, noll jr, as head coach. I stand by that. We need new blood!!! We missed greatly on Staley. Go Steelers!!!

TOTALLY on board here. I've always lobbied for outside Franchise hires. Our system has been old when Dick L. was here. Love Dick but we needed to move on on system. In comes Tomlin to green to **** yellow and keeps DC on (had to as tomlin couldn't handle a new hire), same for OC.

I know they are injured up but several are back in action. It's just poor coaching all around.

Salute the nation