• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Pittsburgh Steelers Should Call Cincinnati Quarterback Desmond Ridder in Round 1

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome Pittsburgh Steelers fans to the pre-draft season! Leading up to the 2022 NFL Draft starting on April 28th, we will be releasing draft profiles of prospects who could potentially see themselves on the Steelers. Next up…

Desmond Ridder (Quarterback), University of Cincinnati, Redshirt Senior

OVERVIEW

The Steelers are going to be drafting a quarterback in the 2022 NFL Draft. Towards the beginning of the offseason, I was rather suspect towards the talent level featured in this year’s quarterback class. But now that the free agency dust has began to settle, the NFL Combine and majority of Pro Days are complete, my rhetoric has changed a bit. It is clear the Steelers are leaving no stone unturned in e-bolstering their quarterback room for the post-Ben Roethlisberger era. Although they acquired Mitch Trubisky last month, there is a very good chance the Steelers will use one of their earlier picks on a younger quarterback. One name they’ve followed, and met with, is Desmond Ridder out of Cincinnati.

Steelers Desmond Ridder

NFL Draft prospect, Cincinnati quarterback, Desmond Ridder. | GoBearcats.com

PROS

Ridder is considered one of the hardest-working quarterbacks in this year’s class. In college, he was a four-year starter and had a winning record in each of those seasons. He is a big body measuring 6’3” and weighing 207 pounds. But it is Ridder’s mechanics that make him such an intriguing prospect for NFL teams. Ridder is great at standing tall in the pocket, controlling his feet, and going through his progressions. He is able to take command of the offense and can be smart with the football. His throwing motion needs some time to adapt to the NFL game speed, but he has the right tools in place to transition seamlessly and quickly to the next level. Ridder isn’t necessarily a ‘dual-threat’ quarterback, but he is mobile enough to escape the pocket and pick up yards on his feet. If the play breaks down and Ridder finds himself gliding outside of the pocket, he’s great at keeping his eyes downfield to find what the defense gives him. Ridder played in a pro-style offense in college, so adapting to that type of scheme wouldn’t take him a lot of time.

Steelers Des Ridder

Desmond Ridder finished his career 26-0 at home in his college career

CONS

Although he has tremendous mechanics, Ridder is fairly inconsistent with his ball speed and accuracy. His deep balls tend to hang up in the air and forces the receiver to slow up to adjust to the ball. We saw multiple times during his combine sessions where the receiver had to almost wait on the ball deep down the sideline to make the catch. In his shorter to intermediate passes, Ridder seems to have trouble controlling the ball speed and accuracy in the tighter windows. There were instances in his combine workouts where he’d sling the ball over the receiver’s head on quick five-yard out routes. In addition, although he is great at going through his progressions and diagnosing the defense, he has a slow mental clock and has trouble getting through the entire progression before being forced outside of the pocket. One final, and more critical aspect Ridder will need to adjust is his running skills. Ridder needs to show he is smart with the ball beyond the line of scrimmage and knows when to slide down to avoid unnecessary hits. Even though he is a large person, he can’t sustain a career without being smart of when to take on tacklers.

STEELERS DRAFT PROJECTION: 1st Round

Before the combine kicked off, Ridder was hovering more in the Day 2 conversation of the draft. But after impressive performances at the combine and Pro Day, Ridder is now considered one of the highest-rated prospects heading into the draft. Ridder is making his rounds around the league in meeting with different quarterback-needy teams and this could play into Ridder hearing his name called on the opening evening of the draft.

VERDICT

As I mentioned before, I was not onboard with any quarterback selection by the Steelers in this year’s draft. But seeing where we are at this point in the process, it is becoming more and more realistic that we’ll see the first quarterback the Steelers draft since Mason Rudolph in 2018. Given what Ridder brings to the field and pairing that with what the Steelers are looking for in a young quarterback, I like Ridder. In Pittsburgh, Ridder wouldn’t be forced into a starting role unnecessarily, like he would on other teams, and can learn a lot by sitting behind a veteran in Trubisky. Ridder has all the right ingredients to groom him to become a winning NFL quarterback; it is simply a matter of coaching him up and providing all the right pieces around him in order to succeed. All of those things the Steelers have ready for him; and they are willing to do so.

Where do you see Ridder going in April? Would you want to see him in the black and gold? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

That ball that hangs up in the air and causes receivers to slow down, it will be picked a lot in the NFL.

I still am a "pass" on QBs this year.

Salute the nation

I wouldn't mind at all if the Steelers took Ridder in round two. I can see him developing into a successful pro. But he needs work, and they have too many other needs to address in round one.

The one thing I keep coming back to is would it give the Steelers the best value in the board going QB in 1? I don't think it would.

l

from what i hear from scouts all of his issues are easily fixable with proper instructions…
Our staff has shown they are experts at coaching up picks and with Canada as OC what could go wrong trying to coach up the kid?

I’m with DIC on this one, not a fan of any of the QBs (definitely not in Rnd1) but he beat me to the punch with Ridder having a good chance of being “pick bait” at the pro level where DBs have speed and instincts.

Accuracy and touch are crucial, from what I’ve seen in the past you can either throw the deep ball or ya can’t. From what I’ve seen of Ridder that ball just hangs up there screaming “pick me”

Heck, I think we have too many needs to even use a 2nd round pick on a QB. We need starters with our 1st 2 picks this year. If you're going to take a QB, and they probably are, take one in the 3rd or later. You are just looking for a No. 3 or No. 4 QB at this point. Rudolph and Trubisky will be just fine for the time being.

Heck, I think we have too many needs to even use a 2nd round pick on a QB. We need starters with our 1st 2 picks this year. If you're going to take a QB, and they probably are, take one in the 3rd or later. You are just looking for a No. 3 or No. 4 QB at this point. Rudolph and Trubisky will be just fine for the time being.
I don't disagree at all... I like EJ Perry and Kelly late. Strong somewhere in the middle. My guess is a vet shakes lose that the Steelers pick up also.

I don't disagree at all... I like EJ Perry and Kelly late. Strong somewhere in the middle. My guess is a vet shakes lose that the Steelers pick up also.
The Steelers WILL draft a QB in the first round, and the Steelers are desperate enough...and woke enough...to give Kap a tryout as the fourth QB in camp

Their interest in Strong seems to be picking up a little. Wouldn't surprise me to see him taken in the 3rd if available.

I’d be ok with Carson Strong in the third if he’s there. No QB earlier though. I want starters or guys close to starting in the first two rounds. Too many holes to be thinking QB early especially in this draft when none of these QBs are first round guys.

Dane Brugler has the Steelers drafting Ridder at #20.

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...+Focus+On+QB,+CB+With+Top+Two+Picks - 7979731

l

from what i hear from scouts all of his issues are easily fixable with proper instructions…

Do we have a QB's coach with proper instruction ? I'm just saying I hope we don't move up and trade any draft capital for a QB pick.

Salute the nation

I was all in on them not using any pick on a QB this year until the tragedy with Haskins, but still feel a later round is only warranted as an insurance backup.

What's Duck doing?

I don't understand the infatuation with any QB in this year's draft. Just roll with Trubisky this season and draft as much as possible around him. Lots can happen in the next two weeks in free agency to determine what the draft needs really are, but I say no to a QB this season. Would love to see them draft down and pick up extra picks if they can find a team to move up.

Do we have a QB's coach with proper instruction ? I'm just saying I hope we don't move up and trade any draft capital for a QB pick.

Salute the nation
more importantly, where is Cooch's "blessing" on a QB?

Our staff has shown they are experts at coaching up picks and with Canada as OC what could go wrong trying to coach up the kid?

I’m with DIC on this one, not a fan of any of the QBs (definitely not in Rnd1) but he beat me to the punch with Ridder having a good chance of being “pick bait” at the pro level where DBs have speed and instincts.

Accuracy and touch are crucial, from what I’ve seen in the past you can either throw the deep ball or ya can’t. From what I’ve seen of Ridder that ball just hangs up there screaming “pick me”
Great post, bingo. Ill take a hard pass on a QB that has passing quality issues until at least round 3.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers how bad of a job Canada did last year. Good coaches adapt to their personnel and make them better, Canada not so much....trusting him to develop someone sounds pretty dubious

more importantly, where is Cooch's "blessing" on a QB?

You missed it, but I think Matt Corral is worth the pick ( no trade ups for any of them ). I don't get why he isn't talked about as much as Pickett and Wills. He's done it well for two years in the SEC. Amazing release, very good arm, some mobility and good accuracy. Pickett only did it well for one season, and Willis is pure hype and isn't ready, not to mention he took too may sacks, struggled and played weak Liberty competition. Well technically that's not true he did play one SEC team and threw three picks vs them.