• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The thing I see in the Steelers

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Not complaining. They won decisively yesterday. Many things broke their way. Great. Happy 4-2. But so many things you see in that game not gonna fix. Most telling is this:
They get the block punt. That is the moment. I've coached a very good JV team for 4 years. We play our final Wednesday. There is a moment in many close games where I go to the OC and borrow a Ric Flair ism. I say " We Gotta Walk That Aisle". He knows I want the kill shot and uses his best set of plays to try and end them.
The Steelers ran dive and swing after that block. You cannot win big games with let's be safe and hope mentality. You Gotta Walk That Aisle. Whooooooooo!

Not complaining. They won decisively yesterday. Many things broke their way. Great. Happy 4-2. But so many things you see in that game not gonna fix. Most telling is this:
They get the block punt. That is the moment. I've coached a very good JV team for 4 years. We play our final Wednesday. There is a moment in many close games where I go to the OC and borrow a Ric Flair ism. I say " We Gotta Walk That Aisle". He knows I want the kill shot and uses hus best set of plays to try and end them.
The Steelers ran dive and swing after that block. You cannot win big games with let's be safe and hope mentality. You Gotta Walk That Aisle. Whooooooooo!

Hammer meet nail, so very true SteelerSask2.

We can do the lesser against lesser teams, but the better teams come back and bite us due to the non-killer fact / risk not taken. That 2pt. conversion was the wrong risk also.

Salute the nation

You're 100% correct Sask. I've been the OC on many levels of teams and that is when I try to rip their hearts out. Slumped shoulders, heads hung, coaches pissed off. I love it.

But Tomlin at the half "We don't live in our fears..." The hell you don't!

You're 100% correct Sask. I've been the OC on many levels of teams and that is when I try to rip their hearts out. Slumped shoulders, heads hung, coaches pissed off. I love it.

When he said that, I was wondering how many teams have thrown fewer passes into the end zone the past three years... id bet none...

Spread them out. Find your matchup. End it. ******* swing and end up shouod have been a turnover. You can't win on hope they are incompetent.
You cannot win big at this level trying to play around fear your Q. will make mistakes. And it's not just the Steelers.

Spread them out. Find your matchup. End it. ******* swing and end up shouod have been a turnover. You can't win on hope they are incompetent.
You cannot win big at this level trying to play around fear your Q. will make mistakes. And it's not just the Steelers.
How about this... we have years and years of film showing us pound a RB into the line following a td... so run a ******* play action deep shot...

I'll give you another example of this with another team trying to hide QB play. Danny Nickles in NY last night. They ran dive multiple times on third and short......hoping but willing to go for it on fourth. How bout using a better play on third and if it goes for **** punt or FG. They turned it over twice. Cause all it takes us good blitz, good break by defender, missed throw or catch on fourth.

After a turnover, Bradshaw would be throwing a flea-flicker to try and end them.
We need to get rid of that flea flicker play...play action didn't work yesterday either. Empty set, spread them out, with Fields of nothing is there he can get big yards on the ground. But we need to take shots to players taller than 5'8"

While I agree with the go for the throat, sometimes it gives me pause, like in the game yesterday. Kinda like the old adage in politics, if your opponent is doing stupid things, just get out of the way and let them. I had that feeling in watching the game yesterday. Don't do anything that could backfire and give them life.

Play Golf Iron City? Ever step on a tee and want to hit driver and say no I'm gonna play it safe. Then hit shittiest shot of day. That was that sequence for the Steelers.

I hear exactly what you are saying, You never let up, un less the opponent has conceded.

It will clearly show against the better teams / PO teams.

We never go for the td following a turnover... its almost always a run... that has been true for a very long time

This offensive (and defensive) Scheme has been in use for a very very long time…………………

Salute the nation

While I agree with the go for the throat, sometimes it gives me pause, like in the game yesterday. Kinda like the old adage in politics, if your opponent is doing stupid things, just get out of the way and let them. I had that feeling in watching the game yesterday. Don't do anything that could backfire and give them life.
You have to pick certain spots. But if after a blocked punt inside the opponents 15 to go up two score isn't the spot......wtf is.

We need to get rid of that flea flicker play...play action didn't work yesterday either. Empty set, spread them out, with Fields of nothing is there he can get big yards on the ground. But we need to take shots to players taller than 5'8"
Even Ab was 5-10.

Grains of salt......
We beat a team we should of beat, which isnt always the case.
We benefitted from some timley penalties that took points off the board.
We played against a regular 2nd year backup qb not a rookie phenom. The offense played vanilla and that was good enough for the W but without those penalties and outstanding defensive and special team plays this game could of been alot closer.
This offense needs more confidence in the passing game with that the running game will become harder to defend.
I understand the criticism of putting in a less mobile Wilson with a young oline and with the latest win, but I am still curious to see if the veteran processes reads faster resulting in a more productive offense.

Play action hasn’t worked with Fields this year period

Under 5 yards per play, close to or the worst in the league when calling PA

Play action and being under center is not Fields game

You nailed it with spread em out, but we don’t have the receivers to do that
That just ain’t the AS offense or Tomlin turtle ball either tho.

Makes ya wonder what the hell they are trying to do…its a confused situation

I agree the lack of production at receiver is a huge issue. But if you spread them out. Flex Muth. Use backs in passing game out of Shotgun he can use his feet and buy time. Seems to be when they are at best.

Play action hasn’t worked with Fields this year period

Under 5 yards per play, close to or the worst in the league when calling PA

Play action and being under center is not Fields game

You nailed it with spread em out, but we don’t have the receivers to do that
That just ain’t the AS offense or Tomlin turtle ball either tho.

Makes ya wonder what the hell they are trying to do…its a confused situation

It has been mind boggling for a very long time, this isn’t something that just fell off the turnip truck.

When your HOF QB can’t call audibles until week 4 or 5 of the season,…. You’ve gone way past BizZarO World

Salute the nation

I agree the lack of production at receiver is a huge issue. But if you spread them out. Flex Muth. Use backs in passing game out of Shotgun he can use his feet and buy time. Seems to be when they are at best.
A less accurate Drew Brees with wheels

They get the block punt. That is the moment. I've coached a very good JV team for 4 years. We play our final Wednesday. There is a moment in many close games where I go to the OC and borrow a Ric Flair ism. I say " We Gotta Walk That Aisle". He knows I want the kill shot and uses his best set of plays to try and end them.
Didn't we go for that with the double reverse flea flicker? 🥴