• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The WAY WAY WAY too early draft thread :)

FordFairLane

Reaction score
So we are out and the Pats likely win and Goodell gets Tommy boys juice all over his face.

Lets look forward to the draft! Team needs (imo) OLB, S, WR, and ILB. I feel Deebo and Timmons come back but for how long? Williams is a solid run stuffer, blitzer and special teams guy and even a stop gap if Timmons gets hurt but not a long term solution. Harrison I feel would benefit from a snap count keeping him fresh and allowing him to come in and pin his ears back and get after the QB on passing situations. We don't have a #2 receiver to compliment AB. And Mitchell is average at best. (btw I did not look what picks we have traded or might get in comp so this a start late round pick mock)

Round 1- Charles Harris OLB Missouri
Harris is a very gifted athlete and even though is a very dangerous pass rusher has the ability to play the run. I think he and Dupree could be that 1-2 punch for years to come on the edge.

Round 2- Evan Engram WR/TE Ole Miss
Steelers need some size opposite AB and I feel James has definitely done enough to earn a starter spot at TE. Engram gives the Steelers a size match up problem on one side, AB the best WR on the other, Rogers in the slot, and James at 6-7 at TE. Ayers, Coates, DHB can come in on certain packages as well.

Round 3- Justin Evans S Texas A&M
Evans to me is a smooth athlete with exceptional ball skills.

Round 4- Kareem Hunt RB Toledo
Hunt is a patient runner, with vision, balance and burst. Not sure about long speed but enough to get down field. He also has very good hands and a strong pass pro game. In the NFL that does not value RB's he falls this far. Otherwise he's a solid 2nd round pick.

Round 5- Jayon Brown ILB UCLA
Brown is a little shorter than people will like so he I feel falls. But he reminds me of Sean Spence as he is a smart player with a nose for being around the ball.

Round 6- Will Holden OT Vandy
Reminds me a lot of Michael Roos whom Munchak turned into a solid LT. Harris is likely gone so a swing tackle would be nice.

Round 7- Greg Pyke OG Georgia
Pyke is not going to blow anyone away with his speed or physical presence but he is strong, stout, and most importantly smart. I feel keeping good depth at OL is important if we are not going to spend those high picks we can spend multiple lower round picks for Munchak to work his magic with.

So we are out and the Pats likely win and Goodell gets Tommy boys juice all over his face.

Lets look forward to the draft! Team needs (imo) OLB, S, WR, and ILB. I feel Deebo and Timmons come back but for how long? Williams is a solid run stuffer, blitzer and special teams guy and even a stop gap if Timmons gets hurt but not a long term solution. Harrison I feel would benefit from a snap count keeping him fresh and allowing him to come in and pin his ears back and get after the QB on passing situations. We don't have a #2 receiver to compliment AB. And Mitchell is average at best. (btw I did not look what picks we have traded or might get in comp so this a start late round pick mock)

Harris is a very gifted athlete and even though is a very dangerous pass rusher has the ability to play the run. I think he and Dupree could be that 1-2 punch for years to come on the edge.

Steelers need some size opposite AB and I feel James has definitely done enough to earn a starter spot at TE. Engram gives the Steelers a size match up problem on one side, AB the best WR on the other, Rogers in the slot, and James at 6-7 at TE. Ayers, Coates, DHB can come in on certain packages as well.

Hunt is a patient runner, with vision, balance and burst. Not sure about long speed but enough to get down field. He also has very good hands and a strong pass pro game. In the NFL that does not value RB's he falls this far. Otherwise he's a solid 2nd round pick.

Brown is a little shorter than people will like so he I feel falls. But he reminds me of Sean Spence as he is a smart player with a nose for being around the ball.

Reminds me a lot of Michael Roos whom Munchak turned into a solid LT. Harris is likely gone so a swing tackle would be nice.

Pyke is not going to blow anyone away with his speed or physical presence but he is strong, stout, and most importantly smart. I feel keeping good depth at OL is important if we are not going to spend those high picks we can spend multiple lower round picks for Munchak to work his magic with.

We don't need anymore OL picks, we still have our 4th round from last year coming back Jerald Hawkins from LSU. He'll be our swing guy.

We don't need anymore OL picks, we still have our 4th round from last year coming back Jerald Hawkins from LSU. He'll be our swing guy.

It's a 6th round pick! lol I say we get as many quality linemen on the team as possible. Make the cream rise to the top!

What about CB?

Artie Burns - turning into a nice pick. Gonna be a good one.
Willie Gay - serviceable starter, good backup, we need an upgrade.
Ross Cockrell - good backup, nothing more. Late last season / early this season I thought he might be the answer, but he is not cutting it.
Senquez Golson - china doll who may never see the field. Can't keep hoping he's gonna be that bonus pick we've been talking about.
Justin Gilbert - Cleveland castoff, did not impress us enough to break the starting lineup. Give him some time, but too early to tell.
Shabazz, Al-Hajj - signed, cut, signed, cut, signed, repeat. Not the answer.

WE NEED ANOTHER CB!!!

What about CB?

Artie Burns - turning into a nice pick. Gonna be a good one.
Willie Gay - serviceable starter, good backup, we need an upgrade.
Ross Cockrell - good backup, nothing more. Late last season / early this season I thought he might be the answer, but he is not cutting it.
Senquez Golson - china doll who may never see the field. Can't keep hoping he's gonna be that bonus pick we've been talking about.
Justin Gilbert - Cleveland castoff, did not impress us enough to break the starting lineup. Give him some time, but too early to tell.
Shabazz, Al-Hajj - signed, cut, signed, cut, signed, repeat. Not the answer.

WE NEED ANOTHER CB!!!

My presumption is we have Cockrell and Gay come back. Golson (lol) gets healthy and we traded for Gilbert. I am sure there's a 6th or 7th round pick in there for that trade I am forgetting about.

Lets watch them at the combine and some all-star games first. Last year was a pretty good job.

1 - Tim Williams, OLB, Bama
2 - Cam Sutton, CB, Tennessee
3 - Wayne Galman, RB, Clemson

I think they will go with best OLB with the first pick. Looks like there will be a number of viable
options available.

Gay is done, and Cockrell is a good back up. We need to bring in a free agent at a position of need, we are close, can't expect 3 rookies to step up again

Gay is done, and Cockrell is a good back up. We need to bring in a free agent at a position of need, we are close, can't expect 3 rookies to step up again

I agree. We don't have a huge window of time left with Ben playing so filling some holes with a free agent or two is needed. Draft the rest.

A very good early effort, and picking spots of need.

Much depends on Bryant's status and Green's health, but I'm on board with getting at least one big WR who can catch, perhaps in rounds 3-5.

My very short list, which will change during the process as we learn more! So pre-senior bowl and combine, here's what I'm thinking!

1 ) OLB Watt. Betting on his production in the big ten, and his NFL bloodlines. Versatile player. He's a little young with untapped upside and might go before we pick. 2016 stats. 55 tackles 13 sacks, 4 passes defended.

2 ) DL. Chris Wormsely. A very good 3 Tech type big enough for the 5 tech. Fits our base nickel, and 4-3. Appeared in 51 games, making 30 starts along the defensive line

• Recorded 123 tackles, 33 tackles for loss, 18 sacks, one fumble recovery and two pass breakups.

3 ) CB Tre'Davious White. Gay looked a step slow, and Cockrell is more of a good #3 corner. I like White's production in the SEC, and value as a return man.

For his career, he has started 35 games and racked up 132 tackles, 7.0 tackles for losses, 20 pass breakups, four interceptions and one sack … Has returned 44 punts for 493 yards, an 11.2-yard average, and two touchdowns in his career.

Harris doesn't wow me at all. I would rather take a guy with more upside. JMO.

I lke your 2nd and 3rd picks. However, I think they go in opposite rounds.

Hunt and Brown in 4 and 5 are great picks.

That is up until we heard Ben is thinking of retiring. Even if he doesn't, you have to start drafting a replacement. Looks like we are in play for a QB in the early rounds....<sigh>

Better throw a QB into the mix in the 2nd or 3rd round

I don't think the problem is Ben honestly.

yeah, I saw that..made me a little sick...

I'll add Tyus Bowser OLB UH.....
why dont you go cook chili for the AFC Champions as a show of kindness and goodwill from Steeler fans? I believe 5-day old armadillo meat seasoned in the Texas sun on top of a rolling waste container would be a good ingredient.

If they don't bring back back Wallace perhaps a backup C is needed.

If they don't bring back back Wallace perhaps a backup C is needed.

Hasn't Finney doubled down at C? I thought he took some snaps there during the season. I think with him, Hubbard, Hawkins, and Harris, were set at oline.

the Steeler brain trust has shown that they can pick up offense players in the later rounds.. I would go defense 1 2 3 again this year.

The Steelers should draft....

First Round TE

Second Round. CB

3rd Round.. OLBer

4th Round...Safety

5th Round.. ..ILBer

6th Round....RB

Last edited:
Hasn't Finney doubled down at C? I thought he took some snaps there during the season. I think with him, Hubbard, Hawkins, and Harris, were set at oline.

yeah he looked good at G terrible at C,