• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

This is what Mediocre brings yaz……………

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
In the good O’l days, one looked forward desperately for the draft / trade /OTAs / Mini-camp / training camp / pre-season / etc…..

Fast forward and I’m not so much caring.

I do enjoy those events, but not nearly like in the past.

These non-losing seasons, falling 20-ish in the draft is just medium, never more & never less.

Ones expectations seem to fizzle, I get up for the season but also realize Medium Is where I’ll end up.

This once PROUD franchise was the leader with-in the league. Several teams “copy-catted” us, while we were the envy of most franchises. We as fans enjoyed the hay day for all it was worth and then some.

Sure we had great players then, but we also have a full array of talent and have had that many years along the way.

We still end up in. The middle, no more and no less…………………

What do you all do to combat this feeling of mediocracy ?

Can’t wait for the season to begin but also know where it will end, in advance. The only thing going is that maybe there will be a surprise or two along the way……… a very welcomed event should that occur.

Salute the nation

In the good O’l days, one looked forward desperately for the draft / trade /OTAs / Mini-camp / training camp / pre-season / etc…..

These non-losing seasons, falling 20-ish in the draft is just medium, never more & never less.

Ones expectations seem to fizzle, I get up for the season but also realize Medium Is where I’ll end up.

This once PROUD franchise was the leader with-in the league. Several teams “copy-catted” us, while we were the envy of most franchises. We as fans enjoyed the hay day for all it was worth and then some.

Sure we had great players then, but we also have a full array of talent and have had that many years along the way.

Can’t wait for the season to begin but also know where it will end, in advance. The only thing going is that maybe there will be a surprise or two along the way……… a very welcomed event should that occur.

Salute the nation
I still watch every single Game. but several years ago, after a loss, I would not get online or watch sports shows until at least Wednesday. Didnt want to deal with it.
fast forward to today, and I am on this site right after a win or loss. I am numb to losses.

Tomlin has to change or go. and he cant change.

Salute the nation
I'd like to see JJ Watt come play for the Steelers this year. I doubt it happens ,but I know he's in shape.

I have greatly lowered my expectations considering the very long trend of the same results.

Of course through my special fictional Steeler glasses, I see an undefeated season(screw you Miami)and that 7th Lombardi (eat **** pats**).

But in the back of my mind it is filled with A LOT of doubt of them accomplishing anything great anytime soon.

If they can just give me a few good games of running people over with a dominant running attack, that would be grand.

I still watch every single Game. but several years ago, after a loss, I would not get online or watch sports shows until at least Wednesday. Didnt want to deal with it.
fast forward to today, and I am on this site right after a win or loss. I am numb to losses.

Tomlin has to change or go. and he cant change.

Years ago, think BLITZBURGH / Cowher / TRS outdoors, the STEELERS made the playoffs.

I had a PO party, dozen or so including my 2 kids (middle school. I set up mthe biggest TV I had on the back patio and all week proclaimed we were watching the game outside, snow or not. I had another TV inside (smaller one) but also could watch big one through the picture window to the outside.

As game time neared, temperature dropped and several slowly made their way inside. Snow started to fall and most were inside. 1/2 time all were in except my daughter and myself. We came in, got drinks and food, then headed back out and watched the entire game outside in the freezing cold / snow. We did have some blankets and huddled to keep warm.

My daughter and I cherish that memory to this day but also neither one of us would go to that extreme in this current football atmosphere.

Salute the nation

Salute the nation
I switched to NASCAR, until they screwed that up too. Now I just enjoy hunting season to it’s extent. Taking the dog for a walk with my rifle is so much more enjoyable now. I then move on to ice fishing, since I built a sledge camper. Kind of like a small truck bed camper on skis. I can spend days on end out there in relative comfort.

Salute the nation
I've said this before, but I approach the Steelers like I do trout fishing or hunting. I am optimistic...I'm gonna get the big one. I'm optimistic that the Steelers will be good. If they aren't, just like fishing or hunting, if I don't get the big one, I deal with it, but still have hope for the next time. It's just more fun that way.

I try not to get caught up in what the Steelers are doing or what they have become. Frankly, I just don't know. The thing is, I don't think there is much difference between Dan and Art 2, I really don't. I don't think the Rooney's have changed much at all, but the world around them has, and maybe they haven't adjusted. For example, having a coach for a long time has worked pretty damn well, and, because it has, maybe you don't recognize when it isn't working anymore.

All that said, I do laugh a bit. All this doom and gloom after a preseason game against a team that 2 days prior you had a joint practice with. And if some of the guys you listen to are right, the practice was pretty intense. You know, the Bills didn't exactly light it up, either. Maybe that practice had a little something to do with it?

Last thing...the good ol days. I was on one of the incarnations of this board after the Steelers lost to the Pats in the '04 championship game. This place was like Armageddon. There are no good ol days when they lose.

Years ago, think BLITZBURGH / Cowher / TRS outdoors, the STEELERS made the playoffs.

I had a PO party, dozen or so including my 2 kids (middle school. I set up mthe biggest TV I had on the back patio and all week proclaimed we were watching the game outside, snow or not. I had another TV inside (smaller one) but also could watch big one through the picture window to the outside.

As game time neared, temperature dropped and several slowly made their way inside. Snow started to fall and most were inside. 1/2 time all were in except my daughter and myself. We came in, got drinks and food, then headed back out and watched the entire game outside in the freezing cold / snow. We did have some blankets and huddled to keep warm.

My daughter and I cherish that memory to this day but also neither one of us would go to that extreme in this current football atmosphere.

Salute the nation
my daughter and I have a similar story. big playoff party at mi casa or Steelers/jets maybe 2005? my kid was about 4. it is one of her 1st memories. we put a tv on our new 50x40 deck that thing was cool. it had a built in 8 person hot tub and firepit(the next year)

it was like 10 degrees at kickoff. everyone watched inside except my daughter and I. we wrapped ourselves up in a big thick horse blanket and watched outside. great times.

Salute the nation
I know what you’re saying Drink! I try to get excited every year but know what to expect, more mediocrity.
The owner of this franchise talks a big game but at the end of the day he’s seems ok with finishing middle of the pack. Always staying relevant and maybe squeezing out a playoff spot only to get out coached and badly outclassed.
Doesn’t seem to be any accountability for the HC but just more extensions and scapegoats.
I simply don’t see any light at the end of this tunnel. Not even a flicker.
This owner is somewhat like his grandfather. Great guy but totally clueless.
Dan was the Rooney that got things rolling and responsible for a lot of their past success.
Look where we are! No franchise QB, not even close, one premier receiver, a young OL with three very young guys worth great potential but not proven yet, a good TE, two good RB’s that most likely we lose one next year, and an aging defense with no playoff wins in 8 years.
Not very encouraging but I’ll still be pulling for them like always.

I'm just gonna be dead honest. I actually look forward to the talent evaluation, FA, draft, lead up to the season then the actual games. You get about 6 in and say to yourself Same **** different year. It really is Sladh it's groundhog day. Why they thought they should give him a new contact is beyond me. They should have said play it out or leave. What the Cowboys did I believe. Shades and McCarthy aren't so much different.
I'm literally giving up a great weekend of golf, guitar, booze and venison with some buddies at a cabin. Week one with my sons is more important but I have zero faith that the Steelers won't get their *** handed to them. Will have to enjoy the anticipation. The reality will likely be dissapointing. They all seem to want to play for Tomlin till they get here. Then they find a soft place to lie down.

I switched to NASCAR, until they screwed that up too. Now I just enjoy hunting season to it’s extent. Taking the dog for a walk with my rifle is so much more enjoyable now. I then move on to ice fishing, since I built a sledge camper. Kind of like a small truck bed camper on skis. I can spend days on end out there in relative comfort.
That's me. Love hunting and ice fishing. I also look forward to hockey season, but that is not too happy in Pittsburgh these days either.

Still it is nowhere near what it used to be for me. Strange.

And as I continue my rant. Shades doesn't believe in STYLE points. **** man ever watch the scores and see how they correlate to the teams who are in the final four. Pretty sure the 49ers, Chiefs et all don't win a lot of 17-14 games. They end teams in the 1st 2/3 of the game. No room for mess up or drama. Over.

The face mediocrity brings for many of us.

chin.jpg

Salute the nation
In the past days our ownership was special. Spectacular even. Which brought in great coaching. Presently our ownership is average at best. Happy with the status quo. Which leads to our current coaching situation.

I remember getting all hyped up about a Bubby Brister lead team more than I get hyped up over our current teams of the last few years. It is what it is I guess.

In the past days our ownership was special. Spectacular even. Which brought in great coaching. Presently our ownership is average at best. Happy with the status quo. Which leads to our current coaching situation.

I remember getting all hyped up about a Bubby Brister lead team more than I get hyped up over our current teams of the last few years. It is what it is I guess.
Status quo? Hardly. We have seen big changes in personnel the last 2 years. Not sure what team you have been watching. The player moves particularly have been very aggressive.

I enjoy watching a game if it's on CBS or NBC, otherwise I'm mostly content to do something else on Sunday afternoon and just check the scores with the phone. When I hear Tomlin talking about "structurally and environmentally" and "individually and collectively from a competitive standpoint at this juncture" in another preseason, then you just know he is who he is and it's very unlikely he's going to take this team any further at this point and they are at best Foolsgold.

Some of it is probably getting older and having other responsibilities, but the Steelers were must see during the Roethlisberger era because you always had a chance. Ben masked a lot of warts for a lot of years. I couldn't tell you the starting secondary right now for the Steelers. That never would've been the case up until the pandemic. The pandemic also changed things for me as did the social justice virtue signaling like with the helmet decal and the anthem a few years ago. It's clear that winning a Super Bowl is not really an imperative priority anymore with this team.

I enjoy watching a game if it's on CBS or NBC, otherwise I'm mostly content to do something else on Sunday afternoon and just check the scores with the phone. When I hear Tomlin talking about "structurally and environmentally" and "individually and collectively from a competitive standpoint at this juncture" in another preseason, then you just know he is who he is and it's very unlikely he's going to take this team any further at this point and they are at best Foolsgold.

Some of it is probably getting older and having other responsibilities, but the Steelers were must see during the Roethlisberger era because you always had a chance. Ben masked a lot of warts for a lot of years. I couldn't tell you the starting secondary right now for the Steelers. That never would've been the case up until the pandemic. The pandemic also changed things for me as did the social justice virtue signaling like with the helmet decal and the anthem a few years ago. It's clear that winning a Super Bowl is not really an imperative priority anymore with this team.

Of course Brister had a spotty NFL career but he really had some great games like that four or five touchdown game out in San Diego in maybe 1990. He had a very live arm. You could kind of see a little bit of reckless Terry Bradshaw in him lol and it made it exciting.

The worst part of this team right now is the general incompetence of the offense and it hasn't been for just a year. Several years in a row of dreadful offensive football is so incredibly boring to watch. If they're going to be mediocre, at least have some breakout weeks and score some points.