• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin gets 3 year extension

As I've stated all along, barring some catastrophic event, Mike Tomlin will remain the head coach of the Steelers for as long as he chooses.

$34,700 a day through 2027 is mind-boggling. I have a grim admiration for Tomlin -- he is one of the greatest con men of our time, yet he continues to operate legally in plain sight.

What’s the over-under in years before another head coach gets a three year extension after having not won a playoff game in 7 years and being winless in his last 4?

Meh, not all signs are correct. Sure, he got an extension BUT that extension doesn't give him zero accountability, although we've yet to see any. The good about HCMT is almost all players love him and want the chance to play for him, including really great players that I personally respect. They all, to a fault praise him. Not the same as Billicheat's former players, who mostly say how strict/accountable they were under him...or they say nothing.

The bad, as I see it, is he doesn't like playing second fiddle, which means he either won't hire, or cannot retain great position coaches. I blame it solely on his meddling but who knows. Some coaches prefer a HC who sings their praises (something we never hear from HCMT) rather than someone who will stand up for you (when you flat out suck), which some of our players and coaches clearly do. HCMT is the latter. He defends bad coaching and play and also extracurricular shenanigans. We never hear him saying how much he learned from great coaches like Munch and Lebeau...never.

Time will tell, but IF we're making lemonade, at least we "could" trade him if he doesn't meet the expectations set before him. He certainly is running out of excuses with Kahn's management of his personnel.

Let's see have all of the players love you vs winning a **** ton of championships with hard work and discipline(and some cheating) hmmm tough decision.

I'll take the championships. The players will get over it when they look at their collection of rings.

Worst of it is unless involved in a major scandal (not happening) Art is not gonna eat his massive salary. So under the assumption that he is what most of us think he is, best case scenario is before last season of contract he is told he won't be renewed and he walks away. Hope they are right and I'm wrong. But I think I know more about this team then Rich Eisen.

This seems to be a risk-adverse business decision. There’s still a long wait list for tickets and plenty of ***** in the seats. Compound that with the risk of not finding a replacement that is better than Tomlin, as well as being known as the Rooney Rule Rooney that fired a black coach, and we have what we have.

I really have a hard time coming up with a comparable here. Coach wins a championship and goes to another in his first 5 years. (I'm not giving reasons just talking resume here). Has a bunch of 10-7, 9-8 type seasons. One push to a Conference Championship game and a bunch of one and done or just outside the playoffs. I just don't have a comparable other then Marvin Lewis who I think was an excellent football coach in a circus of an organization.

I was not surprised that he got the extension but a little surprised by the three years through 27.
I don’t see much more than another mediocre season just with some new faces. QB play should and most likely will be better but I see an offense somewhere near the.bottom third in the league.
Defense should be top five and that will help salvage the season but guys like TJ, Minkah are getting older and Cam is old so they need the young guys and new additions to step up.
The schedule is brutal and we open up on the road the first two games and I worry these are games Tomlin blows, Falcons and Broncos.
I’m not expecting much this season but of course I’ll be pulling hard for them every game.
Get the washing machine ready boys! Wash, rinse, repeat.

I really have a hard time coming up with a comparable here. Coach wins a championship and goes to another in his first 5 years. (I'm not giving reasons just talking resume here). Has a bunch of 10-7, 9-8 type seasons. One push to a Conference Championship game and a bunch of one and done or just outside the playoffs. I just don't have a comparable other then Marvin Lewis who I think was an excellent football coach in a circus of an organization.

I hear what you are saying SteelerSask, but this organization does not compare to the organization that Lewis coached for.

Tomlin had open draft range, Steelers always at the top of cap space, pretty much a free ride in decision making / game management / player personnel / ect. Ect……

Again, I’m picking up what you’re laying down, but the Tomlin had way more discrepancy and better organization to work for. He is very comparable to Coach Lewis as a coach, but Tomlin had more assists than Lewis as for the team they coached.

Salute the nation

What’s the over-under in years before another head coach gets a three year extension after having not won a playoff game in 7 years and being winless in his last 4?
It's got to be some kind of a record. 7 years, not a single postseason win, and get given a 3-year extension regardless. Kudos, Rooney, nice job, you record setter, you.

As I've stated all along, barring some catastrophic event, Mike Tomlin will remain the head coach of the Steelers for as long as he chooses.

$34,700 a day through 2027 is mind-boggling. I have a grim admiration for Tomlin -- he is one of the greatest con men of our time, yet he continues to operate legally in plain sight.
When you put it like that it makes me want to "soak the rich!" And I hate the commies.

Reports that the extension is worth 19-20 million per season. Jeez, that puts him at #2 in the league right behind Andy Reid,
Holy **** me naked, no playoff win since 2016 and a hodgepodge of mediocrity and you get a huge raise.
Man I certainly missed the boat during my career. All I needed to do was speak with a silver tongue. Who knew!

McCarthy is a reasonable comparison. Early big success with HOF QB. In fact beat Tomlin. More up and down with Cowboys but ups been higher recently. Been fired once. On hot seat again. Hmmmmm

The Tomlin Fan Club weighs in.

448014448_10224898534916199_7249960474833421267_n.jpg

The Tomlin Fan Club weighs in.

448014448_10224898534916199_7249960474833421267_n.jpg

Delusional people with short memories. They're more fans of a coach than the team itself.

I'm a fan of the team and I'd love to see it climb back to the top. Whatever it takes. I'll believe them again when I see them doing the fundamentals well and selfishness is removed.

I believe they should have moved on after the Jags loss. It was time then and we have nothing to show for the past 6 seasons. They lived in their fears and even if we had missed on the next guy then, we'd probably at least be in a position by now to hire a better HC that the one we'll likely have for the next 3 seasons.

But Art is on record as saying "I don't evaluate Mike Tomlin on anything other than I'm glad he's our head coach."

Fact is they love the guy and deep postseason runs are kind of secondary at this point.

When it became obvious TJ Watt was not gonna win player of the year, Takeo Spikes said something like Watt wasn't gonna win because of the "changing politics of the NFL." What did that mean? I have my opinions of what it meant. But I think it feathers into why Tomlin remains the head coach. And who's to say Rooney is wrong?

Look, you have a league that is largely African-American. How many of these young, white, pajama boy offensive gurus come in and just flame out in a couple of years? They really haven't worked their way up, it just gets handed to them. Are these young, African-American players gonna respect that? Can you blame them? Hell, I would have a hard time respecting that. And the thing is, they are not looked at negatively in today's society for not respecting that. It's fine! I wonder if part of this is Rooney just reading the landscape and avoiding all that.

Look at the Caitlin Clark stuff. This girl has brought more attention to the WNBA than it may have ever had. I still don't give a shiit, but a lot of people seem to, and viewership has gone up. All the women will benefit from her. But they come after her. And it seems to be ok.

Another thing...I like that the Steelers don't have a merry go round of coaches. But this is one of the downsides. You develop relationships over this long. Rooney has probably been to Tomlin's kids graduations, for example. It's more personal for them. For us...just fire the guy! He ain't getting it done!

When it became obvious TJ Watt was not gonna win player of the year, Takeo Spikes said something like Watt wasn't gonna win because of the "changing politics of the NFL." What did that mean? I have my opinions of what it meant. But I think it feathers into why Tomlin remains the head coach. And who's to say Rooney is wrong?

Look, you have a league that is largely African-American. How many of these young, white, pajama boy offensive gurus come in and just flame out in a couple of years? They really haven't worked their way up, it just gets handed to them. Are these young, African-American players gonna respect that? Can you blame them? Hell, I would have a hard time respecting that. And the thing is, they are not looked at negatively in today's society for not respecting that. It's fine! I wonder if part of this is Rooney just reading the landscape and avoiding all that.

Look at the Caitlin Clark stuff. This girl has brought more attention to the WNBA than it may have ever had. I still don't give a shiit, but a lot of people seem to, and viewership has gone up. All the women will benefit from her. But they come after her. And it seems to be ok.
The Caitlin Clark stuff is unbelievable. The black and lesbian disdain for her Middle American appeal is palpable. They think the white girl usurped "their sport." Cutting off nose to spite the new face of the league.

They come after Caitlin because she's a straight white girl, not a dyke and jealousy over a big endorsement deal.

Simple truth.

p.s. I still will never watch the wnba or the nba.

Another thing...I like that the Steelers don't have a merry go round of coaches. But this is one of the downsides. You develop relationships over this long. Rooney has probably been to Tomlin's kids graduations, for example. It's more personal for them. For us...just fire the guy! He ain't getting it done!

I'm sure that weighs heavy. It's more big buisness now than a actual sport. As long as those seats are sold out and a long waiting list continues, why rock the boat at all. You can rest on what you did many years ago.

They've watered it down to squeeze every dime they can out of it.

I'm just glad I got to watch all of the good stuff before it disappeared.