• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin gets 3 year extension

I think he's talking about a younger Rooney.

Yes, it is the younger Rooney. I believe it is Art11 son James. He's not shy about his dislike. If you search deep enough, you just might find some people in the organization that openly have talked about it. I know one such individual. He wanted Tomlin gone after Tim Teebow! Then was furious over Blake Bortles! Apparently, he can't stand the fact that we had Big Ben and went nowhere year after year!

Yes, it is the younger Rooney. I believe it is Art11 son James. He's not shy about his dislike. If you search deep enough, you just might find some people in the organization that openly have talked about it. I know one such individual. He wanted Tomlin gone after Tim Teebow! Then was furious over Blake Bortles! Apparently, he can't stand the fact that we had Big Ben and went nowhere year after year!
That's very encouraging maybe there is hope for the next generation lol.

Who thought Tomlin was going anywhere?

They just went through major structural changes the last 2 years. New GM, new OC, ditched Kenny Pickett, rebuilt the OL. They are in transition and there's ZERO chance Tomlin would be fired during this transitional phase.

They just went through major structural changes the last 2 years. New GM, new OC, ditched Kenny Pickett, rebuilt the OL. They are in transition and there's ZERO chance Tomlin would be fired during this transitional phase.
Well, we aren't privy to what went on behind closed doors but there is a chance if Tomlin bucked the flow, he would have been sent packing. The recent moves made scream "anti-Tomlin" but he had to grin and bare it, starting with the nuking of his buddy as OC and ditching his hand-picked QB in small-hands Kenny, followed up with a very un-Tomlin-like draft where they focused on fixing the OL with high picks. Had he fought those changes he might have been told to pack it up, but Shades knows deep down how nice he has it in Pgh. (not to mention he just became the 2nd highest paid coach in the league).

donald-duck-furious.gif

You know, probably the biggest issue is that Tomlin is a dinosaur and not a good fit for the rule changes and inexorable push toward scoring early and often to dictate the pace of games. Shades believes you do that by shortening the game and limiting possessions and not by getting up 2 scores.

Let's say for the sake of argument and generosity that Tomlin was once a prodigy and defensive genius 15 years ago. He's 15 years removed from that and the NFL has changed since then. Joe Gibbs was an offensive genius with the Redskins in his first stint with the Redskins that ended in 1992. When he came back 12 years later in 2004, the NFL had clearly passed him by and the ground had shifted. Tomlin is nowhere near the level of acumen of a Joe Gibbs unless he can somehow adapt. Joe Gibbs did it with 3 different QBs, while Tomlin did little with the prime of Ben Roethlisberger's career.

Tomlin took years to retool the defense and the team never really recovered from the loss of its defensive identity with the sweeping rule changes in the early '10s by Rog.

Last edited:
Don't confuse satisfaction with resignation.

Maybe they are the more intelligent fans actually. Why get all bothered about something you cannot control?
100 percent where I am at with this ****.
The long con continues. Shades and his snake oil salesman *** mf.

I knew there was zero chance of good news as I watched the interview with AR2 at the end of last season. He gushed over Tomlin's ability to "relate to the players", even when they got their ***** kicked by Indy. Legitimately one of the most pitiful displays of effort I can remember.

The positive side of this charade is how much money I have saved on Steelers gear, Sunday ticket etc over the last 4 or 5 years. Streameast is my sole way of watching Steeler. I love my team, but **** giving them any of my money.

GM's usually want to bring in their own HC. That HC usually wants to bring their own coaching staff. It wasn't to far of a reach to think maybe...perhaps...possibly Omar would bring in his personal pick for the HC job. Seems like though Steelers do things a bit different. When Tomlin was first hired he had coaches from the previous coach(and it worked out). Now Omar is getting stuck with our former GMs HC.
So while I figured Tomlin would get extended....when they held off extending him when he had 2 years left.....I was hoping they would make it a prove it(hot seat) situation. Maybe Omar simply wanted Tomlin. And it was actually his decision. Or Rooney is just happy making money and anything above and beyond .500 is icing on the cake. And it was Rooney's decision to keep Tomlin around.

GM's usually want to bring in their own HC. That HC usually wants to bring their own coaching staff. It wasn't to far of a reach to think maybe...perhaps...possibly Omar would bring in his personal pick for the HC job. Seems like though Steelers do things a bit different. When Tomlin was first hired he had coaches from the previous coach(and it worked out). Now Omar is getting stuck with our former GMs HC.
So while I figured Tomlin would get extended....when they held off extending him when he had 2 years left.....I was hoping they would make it a prove it(hot seat) situation. Maybe Omar simply wanted Tomlin. And it was actually his decision. Or Rooney is just happy making money and anything above and beyond .500 is icing on the cake. And it was Rooney's decision to keep Tomlin around.
If you read what Art said, he's obviously a big Tomlin supporter, but you have the "Rooney Rule" and all the politics that comes with that. Kahn said of Tomlin, "He does OK sometimes." It was meant "tongue in cheek" I guess, but was it really? I hope - beyond all hope - that Kahn represents a clear-thinking force within the front office to balance Art's "black & gold colored" glasses on Tomlin out.

If you read what Art said, he's obviously a big Tomlin supporter, but you have the "Rooney Rule" and all the politics that comes with that. Kahn said of Tomlin, "He does OK sometimes." It was meant "tongue in cheek" I guess, but was it really? I hope - beyond all hope - that Kahn represents a clear-thinking force within the front office to balance Art's "black & gold colored" glasses on Tomlin out.art
I think it's safe to say they love them some Tomlin. Honestly, probably more than the wins and losses. Art said he doesn't "evaluate Tomlin on anything other than I'm glad he's our head coach." They love the guy representing the brand and the team. The brand is about being a "storied NFL franchise" more than contending for SBs now. Tomlin is simply building his legend of never having a losing season. They brought in some new parts to bolster the program lol because Tomlin was losing his shine to even the biggest fanboys.

Tomlin amazes me with his ability to rope-a-dope though. Like at the end of 2018 he was on the ropes missing the playoffs the season after the Jags debacle, and suddenly AB the guy that he enabled acted out and Tomlin went from needing to go to "Tomlin was the only thing holding this thing together all these years." Then last year, the town is ready to run him out on a rail until he is forced to turn to Rudolph the guy he never gave a serious shot at even number 2 after Ben left. Rudolph saves face for a terrible coaching job with the QBs and Canada.

Now he parlays that into $34,000 per day over the next 3-4 years lol. Nobody can come up smelling like a rose like Shades we've got to marvel and give him that.

Last edited:
https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...ly-content-being-average-were-cool-with-that/

Link doesn’t work too well just like ahem your well thought out posts.😁

I agree with an article I read. All the players love Tomlin according to the article.

The article went on to say it was about time the players show it. I couldn't agree more.

I agree with an article I read. All the players love Tomlin according to the article.

The article went on to say it was about time the players show it. I couldn't agree more.
Wait, do you mean giving up on average 40+ per playoff (last 5) game isn't indicative of a good effort? Well I never!

Wait, do you mean giving up on average 40+ per playoff (last 5) game isn't indicative of a good effort? Well I never!
Look, let's be clear. If I was making the decisions, Tomlin would be coaching somewhere else or in the booth.

However, I don't think everything under the sun is Tomlin's fault. I also think much more of the responsibility for the outcome of a game is on the players, because...they play. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

Therefore, with that as the context, I feel the players need to start playing better to justify the things they say about Tomlin. Otherwise, it's just a lot of hot air.

Link doesn’t work too well just like ahem your well thought out posts.😁

He’s been missing links for a long time, Football DNA links come to mind………..

Salute the nation

Look, let's be clear. If I was making the decisions, Tomlin would be coaching somewhere else or in the booth.

However, I don't think everything under the sun is Tomlin's fault. I also think much more of the responsibility for the outcome of a game is on the players, because...they play. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

Therefore, with that as the context, I feel the players need to start playing better to justify the things they say about Tomlin. Otherwise, it's just a lot of hot air.
Under that thinking then why even have a head coach? No reason to pay them it's all on the players.

Well perhaps the defense Tomlin employs over the last 5 or 6 plus seasons is an issue. The HC can be given all the talent in the world.....if the HC doesn't put them in the right position to win whos fault is it? Schematicly perhaps this defense Tomlin swears by just hasn't been getting it done. Is it talent why he can't get it done? Perhaps. Is it the system? Possible. You can get by with talent and a subpar scheme during the regular season but when you start playing the best teams in the league during the playoffs usually the results we have seen happen.

Well perhaps the defense Tomlin employs over the last 5 or 6 plus seasons is an issue. The HC can be given all the talent in the world.....if the HC doesn't put them in the right position to win whos fault is it? Schematicly perhaps this defense Tomlin swears by just hasn't been getting it done. Is it talent why he can't get it done? Perhaps. Is it the system? Possible. You can get by with talent and a subpar scheme during the regular season but when you start playing the best teams in the league during the playoffs usually the results we have seen happen.
It starts with drafting. Then scheme. Then coaching. Good players and schemes hide bad coaches

https://www.foxsports.com/articles/nfl/2023-nfl-defense-rankings-team-pass-and-rush-stats

Look, we spend more $ on D than ANY team in the NFL...last year, probably this year. That SHOULD mean we have the most talent on D. And where did that get us? 21st in the NFL. Oh, sure, we can quibble on how a D is ranked? Based on yards or points, OK, yea, yada, yada, yada. The NFL bases it on yards, and under that system we were a paltry 21st even with the most $ being spent on D. Ever since LeBeau has been gone, Tomlin has NOT put together a top D, not even close, even when spending the most $ on it. That's total crap. Shades is supposed a defensive coach, so why it is his teams virtually stink on D? And have even since Dick L. has been gone?

And the playoffs? The playoffs? That's where the D REALLY sucks @ss. We AVERAGE giving up 40+ points a GAME in the last 4 playoff games. AVERAGE.

I really don’t have a problem with coach Tomlin… made peace with it back during the Cowher era in fact... Cant count the times I thought Cowher should have been fired. The Big Ben Super Bowl doesnt justify keeping Cowher either when you look at the fact Big Ben got Tomlin a ring too. What’s important, as the Rooney’s have learned, is getting a great qb play. I just wish the Rooney’s put a cause in the contract where they hired and fired the coordinators that’s the thing that gets me going. Sitting through not just a couple bad years is one thing but a whole decade of bad coaching is just too much. I love the Steelers its in my blood I’ll be buried with three terrible towels, one for each era but fact is Ive been watching the 9ers and their run game for pure football since they hired Shanahan. Those ******** can run the football.

But every season hope springs eternal and you never know. I’ve looked at Coach Tomlin’s game plan for this team on paper and I can see where he’s going with this. Looking at Smith’s track record and superimposing it over the Steelers, for once, you can clearly see where the Steelers want to go. We will utilize a 2 tightend formation which is good because we have really good tight ends. Putting Washington in next to the rookie Troy Fautanu really strengthens the right side immensely. The Pittsburgh Sweep is back! With Washington setting the edge, Muth in the slot with Wilson and Pickens outside you have the basis for a damn good offense. Looking further into Smth’s game plan, things really get interesting is when you add Najee Harris to the mix. If Harris is the player we think he is, or should say “hope” he is, Steelers fans could be in for a hell of a ride! In Smith‘s offense, if the past is any indication of where the Steelers offense is headed, Harris will lead the team running and receiving. Makes sense now why Tomlin traded Johnson and hasn’t been in a big hurry to replace him as Harris should lead the team in targets. Harris was a receiver when recruited to Alabama and 6-1 240 getting the ball out in the flats against smaller dbs Harris will rip defenses apart.

Inside outside this offensive should be really be tough. Same with the Defense. If the Steeler offense has any kind of success and the defense can play to its strength which is playing down hill rushing the qb the Steelers will win games. Qb Wilson is a good fix for this team in that his strengths are attacking the weakness of the other team… he’s an opportunist who also doesn’t turn the ball over. If the running game gets up and going combined with short passes to Harris, Muth and even Washington, keeping the chains moving, a precise short game forces the defenses to move up into the box to try and stop the Steelers short game. And it’s then he’s got the defenses where he wants them, in that both Wilson and Pickens can kill defenses with the deep ball and Wilson is probably the best qb in the league at getting it deep and in position for them to catch it. This team on paper looks good and Coach Tomlin can coach it! But we all know the games played on grass and no one knows better than Coach Tomlin and the Rooney’s. As they go so goes the Pittsburgh Steelers!!! GoSteelers!!

Last edited:
I really don’t have a problem with coach Tomlin… made peace with it back during the Cowher era in fact... Cant count the times I thought Cowher should have been fired. The Big Ben Super Bowl doesnt justify keeping Cowher either when you look at the fact Big Ben got Tomlin a ring too. What’s important, as the Rooney’s have learned, is getting a great qb play. I just wish the Rooney’s put a cause in the contract where they hired and fired the coordinators that’s the thing that gets me going. Sitting through not just a couple bad years is one thing but a whole decade of bad coaching is just too much. I love the Steelers its in my blood I’ll be buried with three terrible towels, one for each era but fact is Ive been watching the 9ers and their run game for pure football since they hired Shanahan. Those ******** can run the football.

But every season hope springs eternal and you never know. I’ve looked at Coach Tomlin’s game plan for this team on paper and I can see where he’s going with this. Looking at Smith’s track record and superimposing it over the Steelers, for once, you can clearly see where the Steelers want to go. We will utilize a 2 tightend formation which is good because we have really good tight ends. Putting Washington in next to the rookie Troy Fautanu really strengthens the right side immensely. The Pittsburgh Sweep is back! With Washington setting the edge, Muth in the slot with Wilson and Pickens outside you have the basis for a damn good offense. Looking further into Smth’s game plan, things really get interesting is when you add Najee Harris to the mix. If Harris is the player we think he is, or should say “hope” he is, Steelers fans could be in for a hell of a ride! In Smith‘s offense, if the past is any indication of where the Steelers offense is headed, Harris will lead the team running and receiving. Makes sense now why Tomlin traded Johnson and hasn’t been in a big hurry to replace him as Harris should lead the team in targets. Harris was a receiver when recruited to Alabama and 6-1 240 getting the ball out in the flats against smaller dbs Harris will rip defenses apart.

Inside outside this offensive should be really be tough. Same with the Defense. If the Steeler offense has any kind of success and the defense can play to its strength which is playing down hill rushing the qb the Steelers will win games. Qb Wilson is a good fix for this team in that his strengths are attacking the weakness of the other team… he’s an opportunist who also doesn’t turn the ball over. If the running game gets up and going combined with short passes to Harris, Muth and even Washington, keeping the chains moving, a precise short game forces the defenses to move up into the box to try and stop the Steelers short game. And it’s then he’s got the defenses where he wants them, in that both Wilson and Pickens can kill defenses with the deep ball and Wilson is probably the best qb in the league at getting it deep and in position for them to catch it. This team on paper looks good and Coach Tomlin can coach it! But we all know the games played on grass and no one knows better than Coach Tomlin and the Rooney’s. As they go so goes the Pittsburgh Steelers!!! GoSteelers!!
Couldn't read the entire novel you wrote. Do you have any cliff notes?🙂

Under that thinking then why even have a head coach? No reason to pay them it's all on the players.
When I said "much more," what did you read? Did I say "ALL?" Unlike some of you who after a loss will say, "This loss is ALL on Tomlin!" Even though the guy doesn't play.

I never said a head coach wasn't important. It is. But again, coaches don't play. I cannot fathom why a guy who doesn't play is more responsible for a loss then the guys that do.