• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin returning for another season

I agree but tell that to the guy who was just suspended. The rule has to be changed. Players can’t afford to gamble and have it be a fine/suspension. A QB past the line of scrimmage in traffic should be a runner, period.
There were 3 guys in the vicinity, hell just grab a hold of him and wait for help, I agree that rule needs changed, but still not a good excuse to just stop playing.

in my opinion, looking back, it was Art and mostly Dan Rooney that made the top-down decisions that made the Steelers different and successful.

Since the Deuce took over, the decisions do not seem to have been anything other than average; see the past several seasons as examples.

I wonder how the heir' apparent will be. Sooner than later, Art 2 will pass his torch on to ..... who?

Salute the nation

Does anyone know the success rate of newly hired coaches in turning franchises around?...or even got them to the next level?

It hasn't worked in Dallas as of yet.
Certainly not Chicago.
Peyton to Denver, a fail.
Carolina how many coaches has it been now?
Jets 3 HC's since 2018
Oakland
How many in Cleveland has it been now?
Giants
Colts 4 HC's since 2011

I'm not going to look up very team, but It's seems failure far exceeds success.
Can all those GM's be that stupid?

What makes the Steelers so special that if we hire another head coach it guarantees us going to the next level?

So if the next dude becomes a dud?....do we go the way of these other teams and become a testing ground for head coaches?
You could say the same about QBs. I don’t feel any different about the Steelers today than I would have had they gone 7-10 and missed the playoffs. Better to try and fail than never try at all.

I don't see Rooney calling him into his office to terminate his employment. Too much conflict there for poor Art.

I think they'll just stop paying him once his contract expires and hope he goes away. Then HCMT will burn the building down.
Head Coach Milton Tomlin?

i-have-not-wn0uw5.jpg

And who took Tomlin's stapler???

Your Mom is on meth and crack DIC. Go help her out

Conflu I was optimistic instead of nihilistic about chances to make the playoffs and then win a game for a date in Baltimore

I didn't ***** and complain like a chick about the coach or claim I didn't want to make playoffs I said I'm riding with the team and confident in more wins

We made playoffs and lost badly. I was wrong about winning a playoff game. That's where we are today and I'm suggesting a rebuild instead of the annual reload that has this team perennial bottom feeder with just enough wins to draft 20th

Is this clear enough for you I can use smaller words or explain to you via PM how things can change and change quickly. You mook

The scenario needs to be addressed by the rules committee. If a player can’t hit a player from even the beginning of a slide, any kind of indication (hesitation or pull up) that they might be beginning to slide should be the point at which they are marked down.
So, you're saying what Allen did on Monday wouldn't be allowed? Yeah, not going to happen. There's too much conjecture with NFL referees as it is...now they're supposed to stop a play because the quarterback hesitates while he's running? Enough already.

Does anyone know the success rate of newly hired coaches in turning franchises around?...or even got them to the next level?

It hasn't worked in Dallas as of yet.
Certainly not Chicago.
Peyton to Denver, a fail.
Carolina how many coaches has it been now?
Jets 3 HC's since 2018
Oakland
How many in Cleveland has it been now?
Giants
Colts 4 HC's since 2011

I'm not going to look up very team, but It's seems failure far exceeds success.
Can all those GM's be that stupid?

What makes the Steelers so special that if we hire another head coach it guarantees us going to the next level?

So if the next dude becomes a dud?....do we go the way of these other teams and become a testing ground for head coaches?
Andy Reid turned around a 2-14 Romeo Crennel team to 11-5 his first year, and into a perennial Super Bowl contender.

A good coach could turn Tomlin's 10-7 pretender into a legitimate team able to compete for a championship. Especially with the cap flexibility at quarterback.

Andy Reid turned around a 2-14 Romeo Crennel team to 11-5 his first year, and into a perennial Super Bowl contender.

A good coach could turn Tomlin's 10-7 pretender into a legitimate team able to compete for a championship. Especially with the cap flexibility at quarterback.

The only thing about that he was already proven. He won in Philly. Went to the SB.
KC didn't have to take a chance on a newbie, and it worked out for them.

It's more likely we would be hiring a newbie.

The only thing about that he was already proven. He won in Philly. Went to the SB.
KC didn't have to take a chance on a newbie, and it worked out for them.

It's more likely we would be hiring a newbie.
Sean McVay worked out for the Rams.

So, you're saying what Allen did on Monday wouldn't be allowed? Yeah, not going to happen. There's too much conjecture with NFL referees as it is...now they're supposed to stop a play because the quarterback hesitates while he's running? Enough already.
He could do it, but the spot would be where he hesitated. The rule was meant to protect the QB, not give an advantage to the offense, which it has. Defensive players frequently have to concede first downs to a running QB because they know they’re going to slide. They have to pull up as soon as they see the QB pull up or risk a personal foul. The officials already determine when a slide began, the problem is that the QB can bail out of a slide and continue to run or even dive forward. Had Allen’s hesitation been the beginning of a slide and he was hit after that, it would have been a personal foul. Enough already with asking defensive players to interpret when a QB is fair game and when he is not.

Your Mom is on meth and crack DIC. Go help her out

Conflu I was optimistic instead of nihilistic about chances to make the playoffs and then win a game for a date in Baltimore

I didn't ***** and complain like a chick about the coach or claim I didn't want to make playoffs I said I'm riding with the team and confident in more wins

We made playoffs and lost badly. I was wrong about winning a playoff game. That's where we are today and I'm suggesting a rebuild instead of the annual reload that has this team perennial bottom feeder with just enough wins to draft 20th

Is this clear enough for you I can use smaller words or explain to you via PM how things can change and change quickly. You mook
You are very clearly uncertain and opinionated; passionate without consistency or common sense. There are not many long term posters like you on SN.com; but we will welcome you as FNG in spite of your lowering of the bar for posts; perhaps you will have a better performance than KFP once you get past the rookie season.

Is 0-2 against 2-10 teams part of that standard? Asking for a friend………….

Salute the nation
Indeed

It’s part of the Rooney charity program where they always allow other teams to host us

Can’t be selfish and do well enough to host playoff games, we had our share….it’s the rest of the league’s turn now

Allen slowed but did not attempt the slide. Minkah said OK buddy I know what you're gonna do now. Allen said yeah I'm gonna turn it on an poster you. And we have Allen looking like Lamar Jackson thanks to some pop Warner play by the D. Flexing in the end zone. Frustrating as hell because that free TD game them huge boost

Allen slowed but did not attempt the slide. Minkah said OK buddy I know what you're gonna do now. Allen said yeah I'm gonna turn it on an poster you. And we have Allen looking like Lamar Jackson thanks to some pop Warner play by the D. Flexing in the end zone. Frustrating as hell because that free TD game them huge boost
Do you make these conversations up in your head or do you record them in realtime for later playback and transcription here?

Everyone settle down.
For the moment, please suspend your hopes/dreams/fantasies/fears/talking points/thoughts/wishes/best guesses.
You're failing to see what's right in front of all of us.

This IS the beginning of the end of the Tomlin era.
We have an unrenewed contract, which is abnormal for this stage in the current contract.
We have ALL the media smoke and speculation.
We all knew deep in our hearts that Tomlin wasn't getting fired, Tomlin wasn't getting traded, and Tomlin wasn't retiring.
This is not how the Steelers operate with their head coaches.
Tomlin gets to walk cleanly at the end of the season to pursue another coaching gig, the broadcast booth, help his wife with her fashion business, whatever.
He'll finish with more years than Cowher, coincidentally with the same record in the SB, and less than Noll in the team record books.

And while it sucks that we have to endure one more non-losing/non playoff game winning season, it will be the last one under this incompetent player's coach.
I believe in Omar and Andy as our next generation GM team.
I see a bright future that unfortunately won't start until a year from now.

But like Europe sings, "IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!"

Everyone settle down.
For the moment, please suspend your hopes/dreams/fantasies/fears/talking points/thoughts/wishes/best guesses.

We have an unrenewed contract, which is abnormal for this stage in the current contract.
We all knew deep in our hearts that Tomlin wasn't getting fired, Tomlin wasn't getting traded, and Tomlin wasn't retiring.
Tomlin gets to walk cleanly at the end of the season to pursue another coaching gig, the broadcast booth, help his wife with her fashion business, whatever.
He'll finish with more years than Cowher, coincidentally with the same record in the SB, and less than Noll in the team record books.

And while it sucks that we have to endure one more non-losing/non playoff game winning season, it will be the last one under this incompetent player's coach.

Love the reality check and optimism fedderone!

Everyone settle down.

I will gladly endure one more season of mediocre to competitive football if it's his last. If he is told or asks to wait on that extension until the end of next season, there is hope of change. The ownership has to give him a short leash and his job is not secure. No losing seasons are great and all, but no PO wins in 7-8 seasons is not.

Everyone settle down.

It all sounds great, but if Rooney was going to just let him coach out his contract, then why not trade him? Why would Tomlin want to do that? He could be on TV for a year and make more money working's a quarter of the time.
If he's back next year, he'll have an extension.

He also has Mahomes, one of the top 5 QBs, if not top 3 every year. That sure helps.

Reactions: MTC
We all knew Tomlin was coming back and will also get an extension. What we don't know yet is if he will do the right thing and fire the O staff and bring in an outside OC within a couple of weeks and get started implementing a more aggressive and explosive type of O as the best teams currently have. He also has to make a decision about Austin since his contract is up as well. And, then, we need to see if Tomlin will allow his coordinators to actually do their jobs. Sure, his hands will be in there but they need to stop living in their fears and play to win, not play not to lose.

You made some good points and I hope you're correct. We all talk about Rooney, but sometimes I wonder what the minority owners are saying. Maybe they're happy with the non-losing seasons so they can brag to all their rich friends about being a part owner? Most everyone besides a good portion of this board is pretty happy with the way things are. And then there's the waiting list for season tickets. Must be very nice to be Art II.

I dunno....there's so much money and ego in this sport it's becoming laughable, and it reminds me of the people at the Oscars.