• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin returning for another season

Maybe didn't notice but bungles have been better than us for years now. If Mondays game didn't wake you up let me have the honor of telling you we suck from top to bottom. Typical bottom feeder team with a poor product on the field and piss poor results. Drama in house and players staying honestly that more structure is needed

And this reload not rebuild strategy is nonsense when there are holes everywhere. Stuck with Minkah due to dead cap but they need to rebuild and they need to figure out the QB situation quickly. Ravens looking amazing just take a look at the neighbor and emulate. Depth everywhere stellar draft and develop at QB and lots of actual winning not just winning record

Someone needs to rip off the band-aid or we're having the same conversation in 5 years if you're ok with that well OK. I'm not
Weren't you telling everyone here, just last week, that the Steelers were great, HC great, etc. because of Rudy's 3 game winning streak?

I agree with your sentiment above; just trying to understand how fast Times Change with your posts.

If I have the wrong newb poster here, apologies.

I think they'll just stop paying him once his contract expires

I think he doesn't disrupt their gravy train. So they will extend him and continue on with the substandard play. Not sure that contract will be expiring any time soon.

I don't blame the refs at all for us losing. That said something I didn't notice myself but have seen shown in film was his almost fake slide. This QB slide **** has got to be changed. It cost us twice in that game. There Kazee has admitted he pulled up some as he thought he was starting to slide and being a repeat "offender" he might have been suspended for a long time if e had hit him while sliding. Then when he ran again and got hit Jack was worried about what happened before. QB's should not be given the slide protection once they pass the line of scrimmage on scramble and not at all on a designed run. Too hard for defenders to think about.
Jack wasn't "worried" about shlt. Allen had clearly given himself up and was a full yard into his slide with his knee on the ground before Jack contacted him. All Jack had to do was stand there like a second baseman.

I've been a QB coach for many years and there is one trait that Kenny doesn't have that all the great QB's have, and that is the ability to stand in the pocket and be willing to take the hit. I attended Phil Simm's QB camp when I was in High School and he drove this point home repeatedly and it really stuck with me all these years. I'm not saying that the QB is a statue mind you, but he needs to feel the pocket, climb the pocket and let the routes develop as the he goes through his read progressions. In my mind, Kenny needs to grow a set of balls and settle his nerves. If he can do that, he will be a solid starter in the NFL.
I hear you but I don't fully buy this. He took countless hits in the pocket. That's why he started getting happy feet. The OL was absolutely horrible in pass protection last year and most of the time this year. He got hit plenty throwing balls while in the pocket and while trying to escape legitimate pressure. He needs a new personal QB coach who can help him this offseason with somehow learning to trust his OL again, with accuracy (he had accuracy as evidenced in the preseason), and with progressions. He almost always seemed to have one read. If that guy wasn't open, that was it. I think a good part of that was on Canaduh because when he was actually allowed to audible, he made some plays doing so. He typically looked at his 1st option (which was always something near or behind the line) and threw it if it was open. It didn't seem he had options whether that was on him or Canaduh. I sure hope we have an entirely new O coaching staff and KP has searched out a new and much better offseason training situation/coach. This offseason and this coming year may be it for him getting a chance to start.

Two things had a huge impact on Allen’s TD run:
1. He slowed up, which the D interpreted to mean he was going to slide. you can’t tee off on a running QB, because at any timethey can START to slide, then you get a 15yd’r AND a huge fine. As a Defender in TODAYS game, I am going to ease up and protect my wallet EVERY TIME.
2. Minkah is still playing hurt, and with a club hand to boot. Without a good pair of 100% hands, tackles are much more difficult.
Allen hesitated, then made a cut to the outside. He never made any indication that he was going to slide. Just a great play by a great player who is difficult to stop in the open field.

Allen hesitated, then made a cut to the outside. He never made any indication that he was going to slide. Just a great play by a great player who is difficult to stop in the open field.
there is a video angle that makes it look exactly like he is about to slide and Kazee has stated that is what he thought was happening.

there is a video angle that makes it look exactly like he is about to slide and Kazee has stated that is what he thought was happening.
doesn't mean the defense just stops playing, even if they thought he was going to slide you can still keep playing and close the space on him and get your hands on him without killing him, you at least are in his way and he can't just take off full speed again.

Turned on the TV earlier and there was a picture of Tomlin there for one of the morning sports shows. For a moment, my heart filled with glee in hopes that there was some major announcement about him stepping down. Or even better a trade (!) my mind blurted out. Then I came here and saw the title of this thread.

What a f*cking letdown. How silly of me. How long until his extension is announced (?) is now sadly dominating my thoughts.

doesn't mean the defense just stops playing, even if they thought he was going to slide you can still keep playing and close the space on him and get your hands on him without killing him, you at least are in his way and he can't just take off full speed again.
I agree but tell that to the guy who was just suspended. The rule has to be changed. Players can’t afford to gamble and have it be a fine/suspension. A QB past the line of scrimmage in traffic should be a runner, period.

Right. Making it look like he might slide isn't actually starting a slide, is it?

And of course Kazee is going to make an excuse for himself. What do you expect him to say? "Well, uh, the guy faked me out of my jockstrap. And I don't even wear a jockstrap."

Steeler in Whoville have some respect for people. You contribute nothing to the debates

They should consider Watt for enough picks to fill all the holes in the roster and there are a lot of holes

Or keep him and don't complain about 9-8 and a playoff humiliation on national TV
Well, given they are 1-11 without Watt, trading him may not yield too many 9-8's.

The Steelers organization now seems like so many great mom and pop businesses we’ve known that get handed down from generation to generation and until it gets handed to the hands off or lazy grandson that is content with letting the business going downhill.

There’s still a waiting list for season tickets and ***** in the seats every Sunday. Don’t expect Rooney to make changes.

I don't blame the refs at all for us losing. That said something I didn't notice myself but have seen shown in film was his almost fake slide. This QB slide **** has got to be changed. It cost us twice in that game. There Kazee has admitted he pulled up some as he thought he was starting to slide and being a repeat "offender" he might have been suspended for a long time if e had hit him while sliding. Then when he ran again and got hit Jack was worried about what happened before. QB's should not be given the slide protection once they pass the line of scrimmage on scramble and not at all on a designed run. Too hard for defenders to think about.
Well, Kenny P is the poster child for "fake slide" so... Pot, meet kettle in that respect, I guess.

Smart move by Allen...he was the difference maker..

Congrats to the Bills.....but I do NOT see them beating KC.

Does anyone know the success rate of newly hired coaches in turning franchises around?...or even got them to the next level?

It hasn't worked in Dallas as of yet.
Certainly not Chicago.
Peyton to Denver, a fail.
Carolina how many coaches has it been now?
Jets 3 HC's since 2018
Oakland
How many in Cleveland has it been now?
Giants
Colts 4 HC's since 2011

I'm not going to look up very team, but It's seems failure far exceeds success.
Can all those GM's be that stupid?

What makes the Steelers so special that if we hire another head coach it guarantees us going to the next level?

So if the next dude becomes a dud?....do we go the way of these other teams and become a testing ground for head coaches?

Does anyone know the success rate of newly hired coaches in turning franchises around?...or even got them to the next level?

Certainly not Chicago.
Jets 3 HC's since 2018
Oakland
Giants
Colts 4 HC's since 2011

What makes the Steelers so special that if we hire another head coach it guarantees us going to the next level?

So if the next dude becomes a dud?....do we go the way of these other teams and become a testing ground for head coaches?
Good Post Stew...

I believe the problem is that we have no "in-house" options.

The organization, despite having the obvious philosophy of hiring from within, has never hired/developed or identified Tomlins potential replacement.

The organization should of made this a priority the last few seasons by hiring a excellent young mind that was preferably an ex-player, as Tomlin's protégé if you will..

Systematic failure from the organizations upper management.

The scenario needs to be addressed by the rules committee. If a player can’t hit a player from even the beginning of a slide, any kind of indication (hesitation or pull up) that they might be beginning to slide should be the point at which they are marked down.

Weren't you telling everyone here, just last week, that the Steelers were great, HC great, etc. because of Rudy's 3 game winning streak?

I agree with your sentiment above; just trying to understand how fast Times Change with your posts.

If I have the wrong newb poster here, apologies.

No, He's the same. Just to give you a time line...... he's gone from Crack to Meth in about 10 days..................................

Salute the nation

Certainly not Chicago.
Jets 3 HC's since 2018
Oakland
Giants
Colts 4 HC's since 2011

I don't see the downside to taking the risk. Failure wouldn't be far from where they are now.

in my opinion, looking back, it was Art and mostly Dan Rooney that made the top-down decisions that made the Steelers different and successful.

Since the Deuce took over, the decisions do not seem to have been anything other than average; see the past several seasons as examples.