• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin returning for another season

Exactly. I don't blame him, it works. It needs addressed as it is an unfair advantage as Kenny showed in college.
What Kenny did in college looks absolutely nothing like what Allen did. What the **** are you looking at?

I'm not saying it can't happen, or never happened.
As in some of the examples I listed, it appears that way more often than not a new HC fails to improve the team.

But I understand the reasons for wanting to take that chance.

I'd rather Tomlin retires on his own accord. The sooner the better, and not forced out or be fired.
Yeah, and in most cases existing coaches also fail to improve the team. Only one wins the Super Bowl. Tomlin's been failing to improve this team since February of 2009.

I hear you but I don't fully buy this. He took countless hits in the pocket. That's why he started getting happy feet.
True, but the problem with saying this is Pickett's biggest weakness coming out of college was happy feet and running from a clean pocket into pressure. It's been a long-term issue.

What makes the Steelers so special that if we hire another head coach it guarantees us going to the next level?

So if the next dude becomes a dud?....do we go the way of these other teams and become a testing ground for head coaches?
This could absolutely happen, but is it a reason to not hire a new head coach? The Steelers haven't done anything for 7 seasons. No playoff wins, the longest streak since1965-71. They are, I believe, the first team to give up 30+ points in 5 straight playoff games. Tomlin's teams have only won a playoff game in 4 of 17 seasons. That's under 25% of the time. For a lot of teams, this amount of success plus no losing seasons would be a success. This is the Pittsburgh Steelers, one of the premiere franchises in professional sports. They should have championship aspirations and they don't. A team that is serious about winning a Super Bowl doesn't hire Matt Canada as an offensive coordinator. You could list other examples as well.

The Steelers could continue on this track for the foreseeable future or they could take a chance with a new voice.

What Kenny did in college looks absolutely nothing like what Allen did. What the **** are you looking at?
Is this about Allen's long run? He juked the defense, not event close to a fake slide. It was a great move too.

To your point, ironically.....Tomlin came in and took a team that was about .500 in 2006 to the playoffs in year 2007 and a SB win in year 2008?
Ummm, that wasn't my point and it's not ironic. Andy Reid completely turned around a 2-14 franchise (and one which had had 4 wins or less in 4 of its prior 6 seasons). Tomlin inherited a roster with a bunch of players one year removed from a Super Bowl title. What does one have to do with the other?

What you are saying is just another version. I look at motivation.
I was working out in Greensburg in an OTB parlor when it went down. Between the bartenders and the bookies there arent many steelers secrets out by latrobe.

Grimm leaked he was getting the job to a newspaper buddy and the Steelers refuted it publicly... Grimm got shitfaced and drove his motorcycle still drunk to the Rooneys to confront them... and thats when they decided he probably wasn't HC material and Tomlin was last man standing.

Tomlin was an absolute up and comer, but the Steelers interview was just supposed to open doors later on for him... he wasnt really going to be the hire then

I’d say by 2009 is when he showed his traits. He was saved the next season by a veteran loaded team who tried for one last hurrah at a championship.

Hines, Farrior, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Charlie Batch. All players who provided leadership but were on a decline. The support guys in Woodley, Timmons, Mike Wallace, Wes Saunders, Ziggy Hood were just good enough as we see it today.

After Super Bowl 45 everything just became Tomlin trademark. 2015 was probably more due to Ben than Tomlin imo
9-10 wins a season and a first round playoff loss is simply his ceiling. It’s as good as he knows how to be.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are looking at because it looked damn similar to me upon review. I did not come up with this. This all over the place. It also comes straight from the ******* players themselves He slows up and when he does he raises up slightly like he could be starting to slide. These guys are so gun shy now, particularly Kazee that it was enough. They have to eliminate the slide for QB's as runners past the line.

Not sure what you are looking at because it looked damn similar to me upon review. I did not come up with this. This all over the place. It also comes straight from the ******* players themselves He slows up and when he does he raises up slightly like he could be starting to slide. These guys are so gun shy now, particularly Kazee that it was enough. They have to eliminate the slide for QB's as runners past the line.
I just don't see a fake slide anywhere. It's a great juke, head fake, and change of direction.

They extend the guy I am taking a break.

Mr Rooney is turning into a joke. For how much people get on Jerry Jones he was devastated over their loss.

Our owner could careless about trophies it is obvious...

I'll have to take a break as well. Maybe not as bad as I did with the Pirates, but if they don't care,I don't care. This last season was awful.

It took a while to reach this point of being indifferent and emotionally detached, but I have fully arrived.

It's not like I'm a fan of the NFL product. I like the playoffs even less than the regular season. To me it mostly looks like bullshit.

Well then, I guess it must be the blind leading the blind. 448 posted the video. Nothing else to say.

I was working out in Greensburg in an OTB parlor when it went down. Between the bartenders and the bookies there arent many steelers secrets out by latrobe.

Grimm leaked he was getting the job to a newspaper buddy and the Steelers refuted it publicly... Grimm got shitfaced and drove his motorcycle still drunk to the Rooneys to confront them... and thats when they decided he probably wasn't HC material and Tomlin was last man standing.

Tomlin was an absolute up and comer, but the Steelers interview was just supposed to open doors later on for him... he wasnt really going to be the hire then
I see. And they wanted another meeting with Rivera, but he had already signed somewhere else as an assistant. I still think Tomlin was chosen because of the rule though as there were other people out there. LeBeau was still on staff...I would have gone with him before someone as inexperienced as Tomlin.

Last edited:
Whoever keeps trying to advance the fake slide excuse. Just STOP you're embarrassing yourselves

So here is my answer to this. I have no idea how anyone could possibly think Mike Tomlin is capable of taking the team anywhere other then where it has been for roughly the last decade or more. Therefore, at some point you will need to journey that process of replacement. Like do you want to sit on the 7 to 10 spot on the conference till Mike quits in 15 years. So at some point you are going to have to maybe go to the bottom for a bit. Hell it might even take two or three coaches. But the sooner that journey starts the sooner you get where you wanna go. Unafraid of having the coveted 7th seed and getting their dicks knocked off in the wildcard......again.

^^^THIS^^^

I’m with you Sasl, I could never understand the “could do worse” arguement in this case. We are currently in the worse department. Hanging at picking 18-22 puts you in purgatory, then 9-7 records. 10 years is more than enough to see we are going nowhere with current coaching. HellA, we went nowhere with elite talent, what makes some here think he is going to be better with simpleton talent ?

Salute the nation

Just to be clear I wasn't necessarily arguing against a new coach.

I was coming from the "be careful what you wish for" "err on the side of caution" "devils advocate" side of the issue.

I would like for him to retire on his own accord, the sooner the better. Like at the conclusion of " another winning season" next year.
His tenure has been longer than Cowhers.
It's time Mike.

Thanks for the Super Bowl. You did well with Cowher's players.

Last edited:
The NFL is not going to make a "hesitation" rule. You can pretend that a hesitation is the start of a slide, but it just isn't. You know what the start of a slide is? It's when the QB ACTUALLY starts to slide.
Only because you can verify the QB did slide AFTER the fact. THATS the problem. The QB has the option of sliding or making a cut and continuing downfield, neither will result in a penalty. A defensive player has two options, one of which could result in a major penalty and automatic first down.

If the NFL really wants to protect the QB, they change the rule that any kind of hesitation is a QB downing himself, lest a defensive player mistakes his intentions and knocks him out with a vicious hit? Right?

I’ve seen or heard two different media outlets comparing it to what Pickett did in college.

Well then, I guess it must be the blind leading the blind. 448 posted the video. Nothing else to say.
The side view looks quite different. The first step of his juke when he slows down instantly makes defenders think slide. I am not trying to say it was anything intentional. He was trying to juke. BUT when he slows down for the juke on the side angle it looks like he is possibly going to slide. The issue here is the fact that a slide even being a possibility gives a QB an unfair advantage on making jukes like this.

The side view looks quite different. The first step of his juke when he slows down instantly makes defenders think slide. I am not trying to say it was anything intentional. He was trying to juke. BUT when he slows down for the juke on the side angle it looks like he is possibly going to slide. The issue here is the fact that a slide even being a possibility gives a QB an unfair advantage on making jukes like this.
Especially if you factor in Kaz's bullshit suspension.

I didn't think he faked a slide either, he slowed up and juked
Unfortunately many defenders think (right or wrong) a juke equates the start of going down. Whether it's self preservation or save the pocket book. Easy excuse either way.

I just don't see a fake slide anywhere. It's a great juke, head fake, and change of direction.

Can we see the other end zone, so we see what the defenders see coming at them and how that move looks???

From behind it looks like he plants and cuts. From the head on perspective, that front foot plant to slow/stop and shoulder turn probably looks quite similar to initiating a slide!!!

Makes me nauseous to say or think it, but on ESPN radio yesterday, here in NY, Jermey Fowler was discussing NFL coaching changes and when it came to Tomlin, not only is it ridiculous to think he’ll walk away, he expects an extension in the not so distant future. That it’s probably Tomlin’s job as long as he wants it.

Fowler spewing the same old S&!t that he has no losing seasons in 17 years, blah blah blah and even said he’s produced for extended period with poor QB play???

5 consecutive playoff losses without a win, allowing opponents 30+ in each, 40+ in 3 of those! No playoff wins in 7 years! Only 3 playoff wins since losing SB in 2010! 3 playoff wins in 13 seasons! In that time, Belichick has WON 3 SUPER BOWLS and appeared in 5, yet it’s time for a different vision! Carol has gone 1-1 in SB’s and it’s time for a different vision, The playoff loss to the Browns was every bit as embarrassing to the Steeler organization and its loyal fan base, as the Cowboys loss just was to GB!

And this guy is a national media darling!!!

Again, 5 consecutive playoff losses in the last 7 years, allowing an average of just under 40 points per game!!! Falling to first half deficits of 21-0, 21-0 and 28-0 in 3 of those games! Losing as home favorites multiple times and never ever winning as dogs in that time!!!

When is it enough to have a different vision???

Last edited: