• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin returning for another season

It all sounds great, but if Rooney was going to just let him coach out his contract, then why not trade him? Why would Tomlin want to do that? He could be on TV for a year and make more money working's a quarter of the time.
If he's back next year, he'll have an extension.
Yeah, I’d love to get 25 first round picks and fart gold nuggets, too but this is the Rooneys/Steelers.
Unless Tomlin demanded a trade due to whatever irreconcilable difference, it was never happening.
It doesn’t matter what we the fans want.
It’s what Deuce wants. Plain and simple.
We have 56 years of precedence.

It all sounds great, but if Rooney was going to just let him coach out his contract, then why not trade him? Why would Tomlin want to do that? He could be on TV for a year and make more money working's a quarter of the time.
If he's back next year, he'll have an extension.
I don't think it's necessarily about money for Tomlin. He's rich - he has more money than most of us will see in many lifetimes. He's in it for the +.500's and wins to exceed Noll. Not a bad plan when he knows he's pretty much untouchable. The media will protect his desire.

Last edited:
Everyone settle down.
For the moment, please suspend your hopes/dreams/fantasies/fears/talking points/thoughts/wishes/best guesses.
You're failing to see what's right in front of all of us.

This IS the beginning of the end of the Tomlin era.
We have an unrenewed contract, which is abnormal for this stage in the current contract.
We have ALL the media smoke and speculation.
We all knew deep in our hearts that Tomlin wasn't getting fired, Tomlin wasn't getting traded, and Tomlin wasn't retiring.
This is not how the Steelers operate with their head coaches.
Tomlin gets to walk cleanly at the end of the season to pursue another coaching gig, the broadcast booth, help his wife with her fashion business, whatever.
He'll finish with more years than Cowher, coincidentally with the same record in the SB, and less than Noll in the team record books.

And while it sucks that we have to endure one more non-losing/non playoff game winning season, it will be the last one under this incompetent player's coach.
I believe in Omar and Andy as our next generation GM team.
I see a bright future that unfortunately won't start until a year from now.

But like Europe sings, "IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!"
He’s only about 20 wins away from passing Chuck Noll in Steelers wins though.
The Tomlin Fan Club will be over the moon.
19 years and never a losing season, your 4 Super Bowls don’t mean ****.

Allen hesitated, then made a cut to the outside. He never made any indication that he was going to slide. Just a great play by a great player who is difficult to stop in the open field.
That hesitation makes the D, in the back of their minds, think he is sliding. That split second can make all the difference, just like all the times Ben pump faked players into jumping a route, only to see the ball go over their heads to a WR heading for the end zone. Allen uses hesitation moves as his “pump fake” when running.

That hesitation makes the D, in the back of their minds, think he is sliding. That split second can make all the difference, just like all the times Ben pump faked players into jumping a route, only to see the ball go over their heads to a WR heading for the end zone. Allen uses hesitation moves as his “pump fake” when running.
Exactly. I don't blame him, it works. It needs addressed as it is an unfair advantage as Kenny showed in college.

Sean McVay worked out for the Rams.
I'm not saying it can't happen, or never happened.
As in some of the examples I listed, it appears that way more often than not a new HC fails to improve the team.

But I understand the reasons for wanting to take that chance.

I'd rather Tomlin retires on his own accord. The sooner the better, and not forced out or be fired.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it can't happen, or never happened.
As in some of the examples I listed, it appears that way more often than not a new HC fails to improve the team.

But I understand the reasons for wanting to take that chance.
Again, the hire was not the wrong decision. Tomlin was VERY inexperienced but Dan saw something, and surrounded him with an All Galaxy DC, and even a competent OC. He also had tried and true players at their peak. He was set up for success, and he did. The first 2-3 years gave everyone hope for a bright future.

As Tomlin was given more opportunities to be the man, he stumbled, but he was given more time to get it right. By year 5-6 it was painfully obvious to everyone that he had hit his ceiling. The problem is that by that time Dan had turned over the reigns to Dookie, and stepped back to allow Dookie to run things his way. Since the money continues to roll in there really is no reason to move on for a topped out B- Head Coach.

Dookie is not now, nor will he ever be 20% of the man that his dad was when it comes to football management IQ. It sucks for him, just like those that followed Bradshaw, Ben, Manning, Brady, Marino, Staubach, etc. People always expect the next man up following a HOF contributor to be as good, it seldom works out that way.

It is time to accept the fact that Steeler ownership is NOW mediocre. The ownership is WILLING to accept mediocrity because the money still continues to roll in, and they are MORE scared of getting worse because of their inability to evaluate talent. In a few years, just maybe the next man up will be different.

Again, the hire was not the wrong decision. Tomlin was VERY inexperienced but Dan saw something, and surrounded him with an All Galaxy DC, and even a competent OC. He also had tried and true players at their peak. He was set up for success, and he did. The first 2-3 years gave everyone hope for a bright future.

As Tomlin was given more opportunities to be the man, he stumbled, but he was given more time to get it right. By year 5-6 it was painfully obvious to everyone that he had hit his ceiling. The problem is that by that time Dan had turned over the reigns to Dookie, and stepped back to allow Dookie to run things his way. Since the money continues to roll in there really is no reason to move on for a topped out B- Head Coach.

Dookie is not now, nor will he ever be 20% of the man that his dad was when it comes to football management IQ. It sucks for him, just like those that followed Bradshaw, Ben, Manning, Brady, Marino, Staubach, etc. People always expect the next man up following a HOF contributor to be as good, it seldom works out that way.

It is time to accept the fact that Steeler ownership is NOW mediocre. The ownership is WILLING to accept mediocrity because the money still continues to roll in, and they are MORE scared of getting worse because of their inability to evaluate talent. In a few years, just maybe the next man up will be different.
Agree with most of that, but it doesn't address the simple fact that a new coach in most cases has not turned a franchise around, albeit there isn't much you can say.

Also I'm not convinced that it's all about the money with Rooney. The man isn't getting any younger and I don't how he could possibly lack the desire to hoist the Lombardi like his father, and like his father before him.

2026... he passes Noll for the Steelers coaching lead and maybe Marty schottenhiemer on the all time wins list. His kids will all be off in college.
Marty is the only eligible HC with 200 wins who is not in the HOF, ostensibly because of his lack of playoff wins.

I’d say by 2009 is when he showed his traits. He was saved the next season by a veteran loaded team who tried for one last hurrah at a championship.

Hines, Farrior, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Charlie Batch. All players who provided leadership but were on a decline. The support guys in Woodley, Timmons, Mike Wallace, Wes Saunders, Ziggy Hood were just good enough as we see it today.

After Super Bowl 45 everything just became Tomlin trademark. 2015 was probably more due to Ben than Tomlin imo

Does anyone know the success rate of newly hired coaches in turning franchises around?...or even got them to the next level?

It hasn't worked in Dallas as of yet.
Certainly not Chicago.
Peyton to Denver, a fail.
Carolina how many coaches has it been now?
Jets 3 HC's since 2018
Oakland
How many in Cleveland has it been now?
Giants
Colts 4 HC's since 2011

I'm not going to look up very team, but It's seems failure far exceeds success.
Can all those GM's be that stupid?

What makes the Steelers so special that if we hire another head coach it guarantees us going to the next level?

So if the next dude becomes a dud?....do we go the way of these other teams and become a testing ground for head coaches?
Exactly nothing, but what has Tomlin done in the last 8 years? Exactly nothing. Think about that.....8 years.......Well, except he has not finished below .500. We do have that. Last 5 playoff games we have been outscored something like 66 to 0 in the 1st quarter. In our last 5 playoff games, we have given up 40-plus points on average. At least this last loss to the Bills was against one of the top QB's in the game. There is that I guess.

Dan saw the hypocrisy in being him and having "THAT" rule named after him yet not fulfilling "THAT" rule and so he acted.

Let's be real about it.

The hire was absolutely wrong just by looking at Mikey's resume... only 1 year of coordinator experience at the NFL level with the Vikings. He was a secondary coach before that(his specialty...LOL) The Vikings were #1 against the run and tied for LAST against the pass under Tomlin.......where have we seen that sitcom before? Just last Monday in Buffalo to be specific is where...in reruns.

I'm sure the Steelers brass knew this...so, why did they choose him?

make-it.gif

Last edited:
Agree with most of that, but it doesn't address the simple fact that a new coach in most cases has not turned a franchise around, albeit there isn't much you can say.

Also I'm not convinced that it's all about the money with Rooney. The man isn't getting any younger and I don't how he could possibly lack the desire to hoist the Lombardi like his father, and like his father before him.
Well him and Mike could live to both be 200 years old still coaching, still owning.... and those arms will be well rested.

Dan saw the hypocrisy in being him and having "THAT" rule named after him yet not fulfilling "THAT" rule and so he acted.

Let's be real about it.

The hire was absolutely wrong just by looking at Mikey's resume... only 1 year of coordinator experience at the NFL level with the Vikings. He was a secondary coach before that(his specialty...LOL) The Vikings were #1 against the run and tied for LAST against the pass.......where have we seen that sitcom before? Just last Monday in Buffalo to be specific is where...in reruns.

I'm sure the Steelers brass knew this...so, why did they choose him?

make-it.gif

That really wasnt how it went down, despite what the vast many people think.

If whiz hadnt jumped the gun he would likely have gotten it. He just took the bird in the hand rather than wait to see if he got the Steelers gig

If Grimm held his liquor and tongue better he absolutely would have gotten it. He wasnt wrong that the steelers told him he was going to get it... they just hadnt finished the dog and pony show yet.

Rivera was eliminated early because he didnt interview well

Tomlin was just supposed to be getting a look to get his name out there.. he won by default when the rest took themselves out.

Tomlin would have probably benefitted to a few more years of seasoning and being exposed to some more diverse perspectives

Does anyone know the success rate of newly hired coaches in turning franchises around?...or even got them to the next level?

It hasn't worked in Dallas as of yet.
Certainly not Chicago.
Peyton to Denver, a fail.
Carolina how many coaches has it been now?
Jets 3 HC's since 2018
Oakland
How many in Cleveland has it been now?
Giants
Colts 4 HC's since 2011

I'm not going to look up very team, but It's seems failure far exceeds success.
Can all those GM's be that stupid?

What makes the Steelers so special that if we hire another head coach it guarantees us going to the next level?

So if the next dude becomes a dud?....do we go the way of these other teams and become a testing ground for head coaches?
So here is my answer to this. I have no idea how anyone could possibly think Mike Tomlin is capable of taking the team anywhere other then where it has been for roughly the last decade or more. Therefore, at some point you will need to journey that process of replacement. Like do you want to sit on the 7 to 10 spot on the conference till Mike quits in 15 years. So at some point you are going to have to maybe go to the bottom for a bit. Hell it might even take two or three coaches. But the sooner that journey starts the sooner you get where you wanna go. Unafraid of having the coveted 7th seed and getting their dicks knocked off in the wildcard......again.

Andy Reid turned around a 2-14 Romeo Crennel team to 11-5 his first year, and into a perennial Super Bowl contender.

A good coach could turn Tomlin's 10-7 pretender into a legitimate team able to compete for a championship. Especially with the cap flexibility at quarterback.
To your point, ironically.....Tomlin came in and took a team that was about .500 in 2006 to the playoffs in year 2007 and a SB win in year 2008?

He could do it, but the spot would be where he hesitated. The rule was meant to protect the QB, not give an advantage to the offense, which it has. Defensive players frequently have to concede first downs to a running QB because they know they’re going to slide. They have to pull up as soon as they see the QB pull up or risk a personal foul. The officials already determine when a slide began, the problem is that the QB can bail out of a slide and continue to run or even dive forward. Had Allen’s hesitation been the beginning of a slide and he was hit after that, it would have been a personal foul. Enough already with asking defensive players to interpret when a QB is fair game and when he is not.
A quarterback is no longer fair game when he starts to slide, putting his legs down before the rest of his body. It's simple enough. Allen never started to slide. Maybe two-hand touch would be more fair to the defense.

He also has Mahomes, one of the top 5 QBs, if not top 3 every year. That sure helps.
How did Tomlin make out while Ben was a top 5 if not top 3 QB year after year?

To your point, ironically.....Tomlin came in and took a team that was about .500 in 2006 to the playoffs in year 2007 and a SB win in year 2008?
Cowher won the SB in 2005...2006 his wifes cancer diagnosis. I don't think his heart was in it anymore. Then Tomlin came in and rode the coattails. We can all clearly see what he is now.

That really wasnt how it went down, despite what the vast many people think.

If whiz hadnt jumped the gun he would likely have gotten it. He just took the bird in the hand rather than wait to see if he got the Steelers gig

If Grimm held his liquor and tongue better he absolutely would have gotten it. He wasnt wrong that the steelers told him he was going to get it... they just hadnt finished the dog and pony show yet.

Rivera was eliminated early because he didnt interview well

Tomlin was just supposed to be getting a look to get his name out there.. he won by default when the rest took themselves out.

Tomlin would have probably benefitted to a few more years of seasoning and being exposed to some more diverse perspectives
What you are saying is just another version. I look at motivation.

The NFL is not going to make a "hesitation" rule. You can pretend that a hesitation is the start of a slide, but it just isn't. You know what the start of a slide is? It's when the QB ACTUALLY starts to slide.